Adjunct Silliness - Its Own Forum?

I use the main forum index page at http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?act=idx and I need to click into the Geocaching Topics forum to see if there's an new/updated thread or if it's just the Abject Silliness thread that was updated.

How about a new forum just for that thread is created in which case I don't need to drop into the new forum since I'm not interested in it.

As of this posting:

446 pages long

22,257 replies

Obviously folks that aren't interested are having to do the same thing as I do, just to find out the only update is to this one thread. It's a waste of our time as well as server/bandwidth for gc.com that we click into the forum for no reason.

As of this posting:

446 pages long

22,258 replies

and on, and on, and on.

Thanks,

David

Edit: Changed the name of the thread being referenced. Told ya I didn't care :ph34r:

Edited by Team DEMP

Obviously folks that aren't interested are having to do the same thing as I do, just to find out the only update is to this one thread. It's a waste of our time as well as server/bandwidth for gc.com that we click into the forum for no reason.

Thanks,

David

Edit: Changed the name of the thread being referenced. Told ya I didn't care :grin:

This (opening the general topis section) wouldn't increment the view counter on the AS thread. The views number is from the lurkers that stop in to take a look at the silliness de joure.

Whats the going rate for clicks these days? Whatever, here's a bazillion virtual geobucks go buy a few. :mad:

Edit: clarified statment.

Edited by rusty_tlc
How about a new forum just for that thread is created in which case I don't need to drop into the new forum since I'm not interested in it.

It's been discussed. It does not look like that will happen. A.S. is the off topic thread for the forums. It is what it is and if you do not want to read it you can easily avoid it. It keeps all the other topics generally about geocaching only, which is a good thing.

Hi,

Just to play devil's advocate...forum mods do move off-topic threads from time to time (honestly, with some frequency), and "Abject/Adjunct Silliness" is a little off of "Geocaching Topics"...I'm all for people doing what they want with their seemingly limitless spare time, but couldn't the AS thread be rationalized into its own playpen, I mean topic zone? :grin:

nfa

This thread is geocaching related......how? :grin:

wellllll...it has to do with the idea of relocating the gc.com chat room, so that geocaching topics can deal with...geocaching topics

btw - is the carpal tunnel that tube used to move fish :mad:

nfa

This thread is geocaching related......how? :grin:

wellllll...it has to do with the idea of relocating the gc.com chat room, so that geocaching topics can deal with...geocaching topics

btw - is the carpal tunnel that tube used to move fish :mad:

nfa

I can see your going to fit in on the AS thread. :mad:

that would mean that anyone who wanted to post there would have to click more than they should.  ooo!  my carpal tunnel. :grin:

No one said said it was difficult. It's just a waste of time and resources to drill down into a forum when there was no reason to go there. If it only shows the most recent thread and no other indication (I'm aware of) if any other threads are updated, it's a waste.

Edited by Team DEMP

Wow... maybe I should have my 10 yr old come in and she can tell some of you what appropriate behavior is.

I think the responses in this thread is a great example why either that thread shouldn't exist, or at the very least, reside in its own forum.

Okay I'll play nice.

1) I think this request is a bit absurd. If you don't want to see the AS thread don't go there. It causes you no grief or inconvience.

2)If you post a topic which is invites controversy, (there is a name for people who do that), don't expect adult replies.

Hi, :mad:

I don't actually care one way or another...I just like poking at cranky-bottoms, and stirring the pot a little on pointless debates.

I visited the AS thread once, found it to be exactly as labelled (sp?), and have managed to avoid it since without too much inconvenience. :grin:

nfa

Okay I'll play nice.

1) I think this request is a bit absurd. If you don't want to see the AS thread don't go there. It causes you no grief or inconvience.

2)If you post a topic which is invites controversy, (there is a name for people who do that), don't expect adult replies.

I don't think you understand the reason for the request.

I can only avoid it by taking an action. Moving the thread to its own forum requires no action to avoid it. It's an inconvenience because it is updated 100's of times per day. If it was a typical thread, it wouldn't be an issue.

My post was not looking to create any controversy. It was a valid request to make things better for everyone. If I wanted to cause controversy, I'd post it in the thread that was in question, and there I would expect the individuals that have posted thousands of times in that thread to respond.

Okay I'll play nice.

I don't think you understand the reason for the request.

I can only avoid it by taking an action. Moving the thread to its own forum requires no action to avoid it. It's an inconvenience because it is updated 100's of times per day. If it was a typical thread, it wouldn't be an issue.

My post was not looking to create any controversy. It was a valid request to make things better for everyone. If I wanted to cause controversy, I'd post it in the thread that was in question, and there I would expect the individuals that have posted thousands of times in that thread to respond.

I'm still not sure what the problem is. The forum list shows the most recently updated thread. If it's A.S., then don't go in. If it's something else or if it's been awhile since you checked in, then it's probably safe to enter.

If there's a certain thread you're interested in, use the "subscribe" feature to get an email notification when it has been updated.

I'm still not sure what the problem is. The forum list shows the most recently updated thread. If it's A.S., then don't go in. If it's something else or if it's been awhile since you checked in, then it's probably safe to enter.

If there's a certain thread you're interested in, use the "subscribe" feature to get an email notification when it has been updated.

Because the forum index only shows the most recently updated or added thread, there's NO indication if there's any other threads that have been updated or added WITHOUT going into the specific forum.

If there is no updated thread, a user must then scroll to the bottom of the page, click Mark All as Read and then get returned to the Forum index page.

3, 5, 10 mins later, when the same person looks in the forum index, the Silliness thread is again displayed as most recently updated. The user must again go into the forum to see if there's any threads, besides the Silliness thread, which has been updated/added.

3, 5, 10 mins later, when the same person looks in the forum index, the Silliness thread is again displayed as most recently updated. The user must again go into the forum to see if there's any threads, besides the Silliness thread, which has been updated/added.

Um... If you're reading the threads that frequently, I fail to see what the big deal is about the extra click to go into the forum.

Solution: Use a tabbed browser and keep the Geocaching Topics forum in its own tab. Just click on refresh every now and then to see what has changed.

3, 5, 10 mins later, when the same person looks in the forum index, the Silliness thread is again displayed as most recently updated.  The user must again go into the forum to see if there's any threads, besides the Silliness thread, which has been updated/added.

Um... If you're reading the threads that frequently, I fail to see what the big deal is about the extra click to go into the forum.

Solution: Use a tabbed browser and keep the Geocaching Topics forum in its own tab. Just click on refresh every now and then to see what has changed.

Firefox is a brilliant browser. I use it at home and at work.

3, 5, 10 mins later, when the same person looks in the forum index, the Silliness thread is again displayed as most recently updated.  The user must again go into the forum to see if there's any threads, besides the Silliness thread, which has been updated/added.

Or this 1 single thread could be moved to its own forum. And then there is no workaround, how about you try this, install some new software, leave a browser window open, or "live with it" response needed.

Create a non-Geocaching forum for topics such as the one we are discussing.

Or this 1 single thread could be moved to its own forum. And then there is no workaround, how about you try this, install some new software, leave a browser window open, or "live with it" response needed.

Create a non-Geocaching forum for topics such as the one we are discussing.

Off topic:

You probably wouldn't regret installing firefox, it's free and a much better browser than IE.

On Topic:

Most of the folks who frequent AS also post to other parts of the forum. Belive it or not very insightfully at times. If I understand you right you want this group moved for your individual convience? Does that sum it up?

Most of the folks who frequent AS also post to other parts of the forum. Belive it or not very insightfully at times. If I understand you right you want this group moved for your individual convience? Does that sum it up?

I'm asking if there's value in moving a single thread that is different then every other thread, to a location that would be more convenient for the folks that don't participate in it.

I think I said the same thing as you without making it personal.

As for other threads... I only go into forums that I'm interested in and have updated threads. With the moving of this thread out of the Geocaching Topics forum, the actions taken in the forums wouldn't be altered.

Even hitting refresh isn't necessary. The tabbed browser extension lets you set individual automatic refresh times for each tab (along with an amazing number of other tab enhancements). It's great for monitoring the last few minutes of an ebay auction. Monitor the action in one tab, and have 5 or 6 tabs already filled out with new bid amounts, ready to pull the trigger at the last moment.

I'm asking if there's value in moving a single thread that is different then every other thread, to a location that would be more convenient for the folks that don't participate in it.

<SNIP>

As for other threads... I only go into forums that I'm interested in and have updated threads. With the moving of this thread out of the Geocaching Topics forum, the actions taken in the forums wouldn't be altered.

I guess I still don't see how the presence of this thread is inconveniencing anyone. By moving it somewhere else, it'd be inconveniencing the regulars who post there and in other threads in the General Forum as well. I see the simplest solution then to be leaving everything as it is.