Public Transportation And "suspicious Activity"

NorStar

This applies more to benchmarkers than geocachers, though both groups should be more aware when searching near public transportation infrastructure.

This link is to a TIME article (May 24, 2004), entitled "Hobbyist or Terrorist." http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/...-638410,00.html

Though this applies to "Train Chasers," it applies to anyone who is 'acting suspiciously.' What is more disturbing, is that just because you are in a public area, such as a sidewalk on a major street, doesn't necessarily mean that you can take pictures of transportation property.

Thus, if you are looking for benchmarks, NGS or disks, be prepared to talk about geocaching (bring a couple printouts of the benchmark pages). Also, DON'T TRESPASS. I also recommend shooting places like power plant chimneys from a distance.

I agree about the trespassing, although there are times I have done it, especially on railroad property. I never feel totally safe though, and tend to 'get in and get out' when I look for a mark on the railroad.

As for what to do when confronted, here is an interesting web sitethat might help. There is a link to the ACLU's 'Bust Card' which has your rights as a photographer, and other links that . It is aimed mostly at off property photographers but can provide some help if you are accosted by a property owner or the police while on public property.

So far I have only had interest in my benchmarking hobby, not hostility, and hope that continues. I always have enough documentation in my car to prove that I just have a flaky hobby and am not a terrorist. My charming face and disarming manner seem to help me quite a bit too. I have been stopped by Military Police and they simply told me to check in with HQ next time. I was open faced and honest about what I was doing and they seemed more amused than worried.

One thing to remember is to NOT be confrontational at any time no matter how right you think you are or who is asking questions. You may be right, but the police usually have the last laugh in that sort of situation, so you could end up in the pokey waiting for your lawyer to prove you are right.