Microsoft Map Point

I just bought Microsoft map-point for my job, and oh my ! It is really powerful...

Anyone out there ever use it with your portable GPS ?

:ph34r:

For those who wonder what I am talking about...

click here

Not advertising for them. Just curious if anyone's tried it ?

Edited by crzycrzy

I don't use it with the GPS. I like Street Atlas USA and ExpertGPS better for real-time navigation.

But I use it for some other things. I link it to my database of finds to plot them in various ways. It's pretty good, albeit a little awkward in some ways. I wish there were more color selections, for example.

Here's an image of my caches found in the US with the symbols representing difficulty:

bdc19812-2390-462d-b20d-3813e3f4f68d.jpg

Edited by fizzymagic

It's my exclusive mapping tool. I only wish it would tie the GPS in with the routing. As it is, the GPS will show where you are on the map, but that's it.

I'm usually too chicken to bring my laptop caching with me anyways, so it's not a big deal.

I've got it and use it for a lot of trip planning. I've also used it with my GPS hooked up (once while in a jet). Very cool program and pretty accurate.

I remember back when BruceS explained his methods here he mentioned that he uses MapPoint.

Bret

Yep, use its sister program Streets and Trips extensively - it's very good to hook it up to a GPS when caching in a new place. I used it while in Tucson and had no navigation problems. It was also invaluable when I got my rental car stuck - I could provide a very accurate description of where I was (not near any main road).

I import caches, choose the ones I want to do on a day, then let S&T choose my route. It does get it wrong sometimes (roads that are blocked - it failed to show this twice in AZ).

I had map point but found I used little of the extra data driven functions, so I downgraded.

I love it as a way to 'browse' benchmark and cache locations and plan trips. It is more clear to me, sometimes to see them laid out on a map than to look through a list on gc.com generated based on a zipcode or a benchmark/cache.

I installed that plugin, but, after a day, it crashed on me, and I haven't been able to use it since. It might require just a little more memory than my computer can supply, at the moment.

I don't think my plug-in (Coordinate Exchange) requires that much memory... although I haven't checked. In version 0.7 I had some issues communicating with the latest GPSBabel that I have fixed in v0.8 (now posted to my website ). Try v0.8 if you still have problems let me know ( coordex@hypercubed.com ).

Hypercubed:

Does it work with 2004? I downloaded the latest version and when I click on it nothing happens B)

Zack

I've tested it in 2002 and 2004 (both North American and European version). Most of the Win XP issues should have been fixed in the latest version (v0.8). If you are still having problems e-mail me and I'll try to help.

For those of you who like MapPoint. You may like this little piece of software(Plug-In for MapPoint.)

http://www.hypercubed.com/projects/coordex/

That is a nice little plug-in. Too bad I found it after writing my own little MapPoint application.

Don Grout

Email: don@thegrouts.com

Web : http://www.thegrouts.com/don

CompuSwami: You never have to squint when you look at the bright side of things.

My only beef with the stock copy of 2002 with gps tracking, is that its PAINFULLY slow on the position updates. I estimate it between 5 and 10 seconds per update.

"ok honey, your turn is coming up in a few seconds... turning right onto main st."

"you mean that street we just passed?"

Overally its not bad. The wife and I are using it to scout out a new house. we import the street listings into MP02, then use that to figure out exactly where each house is located, and how to best drive from house to house.

It has definitely saved us hours.

I also agree that the Delorme software is much better for routing and real-time tracking.

I have been using Advanced GPS for a couple of years and it is fantastic! Works with 2004 as well. It makes trips so much easier. It has a built in voice feature that will tell you where to turn when you plot a route. Very cool!

ScottB