Dnf

It's a personal choice.

While there is nothing stopping you from doing this. What about the dates of the log? Each log entry is a record of each visit or attempt.

By doing as you say you don't preserve the dates of the log entries--you can't have multiple dates attached to one log.

I think most of us would rather the history be preserved to as it happened, not revised later to something different.

I think most of us would rather the history be preserved to as it happened, not revised later to something different.

Agreed and subsequent searchers may get the wrong idea about how difficult the cache is. You see some DNF's sprinkled among the logs, you're likely to realize that the cache isn' a piece of cake and you may look a bit harder. If you see nothign but smiley faces and don't find it after a few minutes, you're more likely to figure its gone and give up.

If I log a DNF I hope that the cache owner will either check on the cache or give me another hint to help me find the cache.

My last DNF I had because the GPS signals were really bad in the forest, I was getting about 45m accuracy. The hint wasn't helping me. I posted my DNF and contacted the owner for more help and didn't get a reply. I'm guessing that people aren't going to to find it because I've posted a DNF - I don't like to waste my time hunting for DNFs, I don't find it a challenge, I'm sure there are plenty of others like me. I want to go back and find it but I'm not wasting gas to drive out to this one cache until I'm pretty sure it's there.

The DNF before that one got an immediate response from the cache owner. He gave me an extra hint and went out to check on it within 24 hours and reported that it was there. I really appreciated the help and drove out 3 times to finish it - it was a long multi.

If my caches don't get a find in a long time, then I start to worry about them and go out to make sure they're still there. If someone posts a DNF we can usually get to our cache(s) within a week, 2 weeks max to check on it.

Agreed and subsequent searchers may get the wrong idea about how difficult the cache is. You see some DNF's sprinkled among the logs, you're likely to realize that the cache isn' a piece of cake and you may look a bit harder. If you see nothign but smiley faces and don't find it after a few minutes, you're more likely to figure its gone and give up.

Here's my log for the multi cache that I eventually finished:

Completed the series today on my third attempt. First time I got stuck on stage 2 - thanks for the extra help PF. Second time I couldn't get near the cache because a work crew was tarring within a few metres. Today I got to stage 5 only to find a couple of teenage girls sitting with a good view of the cache area. Took a walk around the block and waited in the car for 15 minutes until they left, then found it quickly. Stage 6 was cool. I've heard about this experience but never tried it before. I also liked checking out the interior of the building at stage 4. Thanks a bunch for the multi.

I outlined where I had my difficulties and how they were resolved. I hope that the date when the DNF occurred wouldn't really be a significant factor. In my DNF log I said "Got stuck at stage 2. Used the hint. I looked and looked and looked some more and couldn't find it. Can you give me some more help."

I don't like to waste my time hunting for DNFs, I don't find it a challenge, I'm sure there are plenty of others like me. I want to go back and find it but I'm not wasting gas to drive out to this one cache until I'm pretty sure it's there.

Huh!

I'm just the opposite. I like the challenge of looking for something that might not be there. We're rarely successful, but when we are it's a particular high.

When reading logs I don't consider a cache may be missing until there are several DNFs logged in a row.

I can't get very excited visiting a cache I know I'm going to find. In fact, it's almost a chore.

Nope, I need a challenge and some uncertainty. Not knowing the cache is there is part of the excitement. It's almost like Christmas as a kid--is that present a toy or is it underwear?

So, here's what I do--and y'all let me know if you think I ought to do it differently or better... :blink:

I log the DNF's. If the cache turns out to be missing, I edit the DNF to an SBA. If I go back and find the cache, I edit the DNF to a F, but I mention how many tries it took me to find it (that way, my DNF's still form part of the history of the cache, but I don't have those annoying purple faces staring back at me).

So, here's what I do--and y'all let me know if you think I ought to do it differently or better... :blink:

I log the DNF's. If the cache turns out to be missing, I edit the DNF to an SBA. If I go back and find the cache, I edit the DNF to a F, but I mention how many tries it took me to find it (that way, my DNF's still form part of the history of the cache, but I don't have those annoying purple faces staring back at me).

That's what I do, except I've fortunately never had the occassion to turn my DNF to a SBA.

Here's one from yesterday:

June 10 by wimseyguy (835 found)

Duuuude, like wow man, I took your advice  :D  in the hints so when I finally found the park I wasn't like totally in the mood to look for stuff so I wandered around and checked out the trees  :D . Then I got a wicked case of the munchies  :D  so I found some old cookies and a half a cereal bar in my pack so I ate them. Then I lay down for a nap  :blink:  . Well the thunder woke me up  :D so I looked around for a while but didn't see any caches . Then the rain started. It was waaay cool until there were only 2 mississippis between the lightning and thunder . Then it was splitsville for me dude. Guess I'll come back and look some more the next time I'm um, you know  :huh:  in the mood .

Well, the encrypted hint said " Arrive High"! :D:o

Wow what a threadkiller of a post. :D

Edited by wimseyguy

I'm pretty sure there's a DNF or two I've forgotten to log. It's just for the life of me I can't think of where or when they might be. I'm also sure there's some notes I haven't logged and I'm positive there's a couple virtual finds I never bothered to log. There's also at least one cache I need to find the second container to (either container is loggable as a find) and I'll need to post a note on that when I do so.

I'm still debating whether to log Team 360 and the Original Can of Beans as a find or a note. I'll probably just log them as notes tonight and stop worrying about it. It's odd. I didn't help the OCB on it's way to it's goal except in a way it's goal is to be seen and enjoyed and I definately saw and enjoyed it.

I sometimes worry that someone who takes this hobby a lot more seriously than I do is going to go ripping through my logs with a fine tooth comb and get publicly upset that I either did something I shouldn't or didn't do something I should.

So, here's what I do--and y'all let me know if you think I ought to do it differently or better...  :P

I log the DNF's.  If the cache turns out to be missing, I edit the DNF to an SBA.  If I go back and find the cache, I edit the DNF to a F, but I mention how many tries it took me to find it (that way, my DNF's still form part of the history of the cache, but I don't have those annoying purple faces staring back at me).

I think you should do it the way you feel is right.

That being said, if I look, and don't find, I log a DNF. When I go back (I eventually always do), if I find, I do an entirely new log entry - as a find. The old DNF stays. I had one that I logged as a DNF twice, even though the cache as it turns out had gone missing prior to my first DNF. But, I looked twice, I didn't find twice. When I did find it, the two DNF's stayed (Jan and April), and the find was logged in May. The whole history is there.

:huh:

For me it really depends on the DNF situation. Like last week I went to find a cache in a park, I got to where it was and could see it, but there was a good 20 people there, so I had no chance to grab it with out someone seeing me. In this case I did not log a DNF, because the cache wsa there, but too many people.

On the other hand if I search and search at the coordinates but find no cache, or if there is something else that prevented me from getting to the cache that might affect other cachers, then I do log a DNF. For example, once I was hiking up to a nearby mountain peak to hit a cache, but the trail was covered by 3 feet of snow and was coated with ice. I was not about to attempt to cross that because there was nothing on the downhill side, just a 300 foot drop to the last switchback. In this case I felt that my observations could be of use to any cachers who might have tried to hit this cache after me and could help them prepare.

So there you have it, my basic DNF policy.

If cachers didn't log DNF's I wouldn't have seen the little gem in my email from a watched cache:

Log Date: 7/29/2004

didn't find it . . . . just going to throw away my socks and shoes!  I hate it when I feel so stupid!  Between the heat and the barking dogs tearing the fences down and not find it the whole trip sucked!

Poor guy-it would have been his third find too! Hope he comes back. It's a real nice cache. :tired:

Yes, we log DNF's if they happen.

And why not?

You don't loose any birthdays. :huh:

No one hunts you down and shoots your dog. :(

No one paints a big red "X" on your door. :(

But, You just might have to wear a dunce cap at the next event cache. :(

And buy the first round. :(

DNF's are part of the history of how your skills have evolved. Yes, you now think like a cache hider when it comes to finding those pesky micros.

Before you even start physically looking for a cache, How many of you stand back and say something along the line of : "Now, where would I have placed that cache at?"

When your approaching the area of a cache, do you just glance at the gpsr to keep on line while your checking out everything in the area for something out of place?

We all have had, or will have, that "ONE" cache that drives us crazy. We log a DNF. The next three people, "Easy find, right where it is supposed to be." The same day you could not find it. Hummm, now there is a good joke to pull on someone.

Yes, the DNF's also alert others and the cache owner there MIGHT be problems. And I agree with coyotered, sometimes I will go look for those DNF caches just to see if I can find it where others have missed out.

Man, standing outside for 10 hours in 100 plus heat kinda makes me ramble. Sorry.

logscaler.