Cache Page Is Up!

bumblingbs

:ph34r: I'm not sure if we can make this event because of possible plans that weekend. But I'm not going to say no yet, just in case. Things could change!

I do want to say this however. We just got back from geocaching in the Port Townsend area last Saturday with evergreenhiker!

Boy, did we have fun! The caches are great over there. We enjoyed all of them.

In fact, there is a series we have been collecting the numbers for; Sweet Sixteen. It's actually done by the people that started this thread, the bumblingbs.

So... we highly recommend going to this!

:mad: MR got home last night and we were able to adjust our plans for that weekend. So we are going to sign up for this! It just sounds like it will be too much fun!

I need to read the cache page better. :grin:

Is it 4:00 PM? Then dinner? Then the tour cache with Shunra?

Yep, pretty much. You can independently cache 'til 4, then the Romp starts. (Don't be late!!!) I saw that a cache event somewhere else had gotten Garmin t-shirts to use as event prizes. I have written a begging letter to Garmin, asking for some goodies, but haven't heard back yet. If I get prizes, I would leave vouchers for them in various PT caches, to add some fun to the early caching.

Looks like a fun event, but I'm going to be in the midwest that weekend for a pre-marriage party for one of my best friends, so I have to decline. I'll get up to PT one day...

Ahh... Who am I kidding, I don't have any friends in the midwest or anywhere else. I'm a creepy loner and I want to keep it that way! :mad::grin:

Ajetpilot (Bruce) and W7WT (Dick) are planning on being there early in the day to pick up some caches before the big event and dinner. As i write this Bruce should have his 500th find and on his way to 1000. Too bad Bull Moose can't make it. I am hoping to get the "Oldest Cacher" award. Dick, W7WT

Edited by W7WT
I am hoping to get the "Oldest Cacher" award. Dick, W7WT

:grin: Well we will just have to see about that!

You don't know when Mr. WD's or my Birthday is!

:mad: Well okay... I just looked at you bio. You have us beat. A touch more grey in your beard than Mr. WD!

But do you know you became a member on my actual birthdate. Not the year! I'm not tellin that :mad: .

Donna (Mrs. Wienerdog)

Edited by Wienerdog

I am sure I will be the only WWII veteran there. I am looking forward to meeting you. Two years ago we made a trip down US 10l to California. Ever cache I found had your name in the log. We are leaving tomorrow for a trip to Yakima, Ellensburg and Wenatchee. I see you were there about a month ago. It is a privilege to follow you around. Dick, W7WT

I may not be the oldest cacher at the event, but, no worry, I find that I am deteriorating rapidly. :grin: (Uh, diet and exercise needed here) (Lord, help me get old and strong , and filled with peace!)

For all those that are coming, PLEASE leave a note on the cache page, including how many will attend. Port Townsend is full of small restaurants, and it was hard to find a place that would accomodate a large group without coming to a grinding halt.

~Mrs. B.

Edited by bumblingbs

I just noticed Shunra posted a note on the page saying he was coming.

That's good, since he is the one hiding the Memorial Cache. Am I understanding this is new? Will a cache page be up before the event?

Shunra? Can you hear me from Amsterdam? B)

Edited by Wienerdog

Hey, Wienerdog~

I'm going to answer for Shunra, because I don't know how much internet access he has this week.

Shunra is going to hide an empty ammo can. Well, it'll have a logbook in it. Anybody who wants to go for a walk after dinner can go (as a group, or separately) to find the cache. It would be nice if everyone who visits it leaves a small trade item or signature item. The cache will likely be listed the day after the event, and it will remain as a permanent cache. Anyone who visits it on the day of the event will be able to log it as a found. Shunra will provide the coordinates at dinner. It won't be anything too hard or strenuous, just a nice after dinner stroll to finish off the day.

I imagine it will be called something like the Port Townsend Romp Memorial cache, but that's entirely up to Shunra.

That reminds me, I need to go poke Garmin again about prizes.

blindleader!

Ohmygoodness! I just read your log on the event page!

"Namby Pamby girlie-man SUV" :P:D:lol:

You just wait until next time your EXPEnSIVE classic little car ends up in the shop and you need a ride to a cache! Maybe I will charge you $5.OO a cache hit for the day.... IF I let you ride with me again. So there. :blink: heh, heh, heh to you!

You better run and hide next time I see you :tongue:

Like tomorrow as a matter of fact! ;)

I just noticed Shunra posted a note on the page saying he was coming.

That's good, since he is the one hiding the Memorial Cache. Am I understanding this is new? Will a cache page be up before the event?

Shunra? Can you hear me from Amsterdam? :lol:

Hi,

I couldn't hear you in Amsterdam, but I hear you now <_<

Yes, it will be exactly like bumblingbs said. The ammo box will probably start out as an empty receptacle for your signature items and other donations. The cache coords will be secret until dinner, and will be disclosed only then. The page will go up the day after, and all who found it after dinner can log it as a Find.

Bruce, Ajetpilot and Dick, W7WT will not be able to attend the Port Townsend Romp. Bruce's geodog Woody, just had major surgery on his hip (maybe leg) and Bruce is spending day and night with his reabilation. My, Grandson from Fairbanks, who is a student at the U. of Oregon is stopping by on the 19th to see us on his way home. We were both looking forward to meeting all of you and enloying geocaching in our favorite town. The good news is now Mr. WD (or maybe even Mrs. WD) will probably win the Oldest Cacher Award. Dick, W7WT

Bruce, Ajetpilot and Dick, W7WT will not be able to attend the Port Townsend Romp. Bruce's geodog Woody, just had major surgery on his hip (maybe leg) and Bruce is spending day and night with his reabilation. My, Grandson from Fairbanks, who is a student at the U. of Oregon is stopping by on the 19th to see us on his way home. We were both looking forward to meeting all of you and enloying geocaching in our favorite town. The good news is now Mr. WD (or maybe even Mrs. WD) will probably win the Oldest Cacher Award. Dick, W7WT

:lol: Dang I am so disappointed that we don't get to meet you!

I met Bruce while geocaching with Pepper and Evergreenhiker at Howe Farm. He had his beautiful dogs with him that day. I would stay home if that was the case with Chloe (our dachshund). And yes, about grandkids... we have two. A girl, 9yrs and a boy 3 1/2.

So it looks like Gramps and Gramma Weenidog will bring our AARP cards. Does that mean we get a head start on the finding the cache? Ya know, the special Senior pace? B)

Edited by Wienerdog
Garmin rocks! They're going to send some prizes for the event cache! Whoopee! Don't know what we'll be getting, but he mentioned possibly hats, bags, t-shirts and coozies. Coozie? What's a coozie? I know a jacuzzi would feel good after a long day of caching! :lol:

Did you ever get the Coozies? Ehew.. that made it sound ike a disease or something B) .

Just curious what they were!

Donna

bumblings posted on the cache page

"Let me clarify that the event starts at 4 p.m!

There will be plenty of time beforehand for independent caching, and there will be some prizes offered up during this period. As soon as I get the prizes from Garmin, I'll let you all know what's up for grabs."

The prizes will be offered before 4pm? How early should we be for that?

Have any of the Jeep travel bugs made it up here yet. This looks like a good oppertunity to spread a few.

Mr. & Mrs. Kfam are making plans to bring Honey Puppy along for the day.

There will be plenty of time beforehand for independent caching, and there will be some prizes offered up during this period. As soon as I get the prizes from Garmin, I'll let you all know what's up for grabs."

Have any of the Jeep travel bugs made it up here yet. This looks like a good oppertunity to spread a few.

I'm sure the bumblingbs will answer this for you but let me see if I am right.

I think they are going to be placing the prizers in caches around Port Townsend. Since the event doesn't start until 4:00 in the afternoon this will allow you to do some caching in the area beforehand and posssibly score on some of these items.

Is that righ BB's or Shunra?

As far as the Jeeps go.....I know a couple WSGA Officers are coming to the event. I myself didn't make it to the last meeting, therefore I didn't get my hands on any Jeeps.

Cindy or Michelle? Do you know anything about Jeeps for this area?

Edited by Wienerdog

B) Dang I am so disappointed that we don't get to meet you!

I met Bruce while geocaching with Pepper and Evergreenhiker at Howe Farm. He had his beautiful dogs with him that day. I would stay home if that was the case with Chloe (our dachshund). And yes, about grandkids... we have two. A girl, 9yrs and a boy 3 1/2.

So it looks like Gramps and Gramma Weenidog will bring our AARP cards. Does that mean we get a head start on the finding the cache? Ya know, the special Senior pace? :lol:

lol!

No no no!

Until 4 pm: Arrive at your convenience, and cache all you can in the PT area on your own, or as part of a team. On the fly, you may pick up a vouchers (one per person) for prizes, to be awarded at the end of the event.

4 pm: The organized activities, starting with the romp, then dinner and prizes, then evening stroll for a final cache.

As to the YJTBs: none seen here so far. Look forward to finding out what the fuss is about!

I have not received the prizes from Garmin yet. Once I do, and I know what, and how much I've got, I'll make up a list of caches that might potentially hold vouchers and post it on the cache page.

It is very important for me to have an accurate head count for dinner. Only the people who have signed up on the actual cache page are being counted. If you have expressed a possibility of coming, here on the forum page, and have not signed up on the cache page, you haven't been counted!

Currently there are 25 definite and 3 possible attendees. Wow! I never expected such a response!

Now, I'm off to have a very bad day. My refrigerator died during the night, and is now full of warm, drippy food. B)

So it looks like Gramps and Gramma Weenidog will bring our AARP cards. Does that mean we get a head start on the finding the cache? Ya know, the special Senior pace?  B)

Let's see. Over 1700 caches found, for an average of 57.4 caches per day. I'd call that aging gracefully. Head start? :lol: Uh, no! B)

Mr and Mrs Kfam,

Shall I sign you up for two on the cache page?

As far as the prizes, I run every day to my mailbox and they're not here yet. Is there mail today, or is it a federal holiday?

Anyway, you can show up for caching any time you like. Assuming the prizes get here, I will make up a voucher for each prize. Then the vouchers will be scattered through PT caches. So, the more PT caches you find, the greater your chances of finding a voucher. There's a limit of one voucher per person, so no single person can arrive early and clean them out.

The important thing to be on time for is the Romp itself, at 4 p.m. By 4:05, it will have moved on, and it won't be possible to catch up to it.

See you in 9 days!

(Gulp! 9 days! I need to do some work on the Romp today! Walk the course, or something)

Oh! Also! Please either put the cache page on your watch list, or check back on it often. I will be posting some additional information in the days to come.

In my original agreement with the restaurant, I said that I expected between 20-30 people for dinner, with an accurate head count to be provided by June 16. I was hoping that there actually WOULD be 20, but was prepared for less. I'm amazed, but it looks like this might go over 30 people. I will check with the restaurant today, to see if there is a maximum number they can handle.

Also, I have ordered (and received) event buttons. I ordered 30 of 'em, and expected to have some left over. Hmmm...

No no no!

Until 4 pm: Arrive at your convenience, and cache all you can in the PT area on your own, or as part of a team. On the fly, you may pick up a vouchers (one per person) for prizes, to be awarded at the end of the event.

4 pm: The organized activities, starting with the romp, then dinner and prizes, then evening stroll for a final cache.

As to the YJTBs: none seen here so far. Look forward to finding out what the fuss is about!

:blink: Sorry Shunra! Well I was close. I just didn't understand about the vouchers.

I did hear from Cindy(CachinCin), our WSGA President, this morning. She informed me that someone is bringing couple Jeep T-Bugs to place in that neck of the woods.

Edited by Wienerdog

I've been worrying about the button issue, and this is my best solution.....Along with the event buttons, I ordered a bunch of really nice regular caching buttons--the day/night ones down at the bottom of the page, here:

http://www.bumblebuttons.com/index.asp

So lets say Mr. and Mrs. Jones are attending the event as Team Jones. Maybe one of them can grab an event button, and the other a geocaching button. Voluntarily, of course...If both Mr and Mrs have absolutely, positively have to have an event button, take them. Somebody will volunteer to take the other kind, so there's enough to spread arond.

So, everybody gets a button of some kind. Best idea I can come up with for solving the problem. I just had no idea that 30 might not be enough, and I want everybody to be happy and well taken care of.

That's cool you are bringing Honey Puppy! What kind of dog is she?

We are bringing Chloe.

Chloe can be a bit of a snot. She doesn't bite people or anything, but she truly is afraid of other dogs. So she hides between our legs and growls and make nipping noises if another dog comes close. Lately though, she actually sniffed a couple dogs while we were out caching. :huh: It's only taken her seven years to do this!

Well, I'm off the subject. Us dog people get carried away! :blink:

:D Gosh, I talk so much on this thread you would think it was mine!

We (MR and I) took a trip over to PT Sat, with the hopes of getting all the codes for the S16 series. Still need more! Dang.

We also stole a FTF from the locals. :D

Let's see... only five days to go! I wonder if Ms. B is putting the vouchers out yet!

We (MR and I) took a trip over to PT Sat, with the hopes of getting all the codes for the S16 series. Still need more! Dang.

We also stole a FTF from the locals. :D

Let's see... only five days to go! I wonder if Ms. B is putting the vouchers out yet!

Rockman1, Jayhawker and Belleterre have 15 out of 16.

With 13 out of 16, you're not far behind!

As to that FTF, well yes, dang. so is life :-)

Our post on the cache page for the romp! :huh:

The Port Townsend Romp. The ratings were difficulty 2 ½, terrain 2 but there is a category missing… fun! That rating is 5+ stars all the way! It started when Shunra handed Rose a gift wrapped box containing the first waypoint. Veeery methodically and veeery slowly Rose opened the package as we all watched like a group of White House press reporters waiting for the big scoop! We got our scoop and what a blast it was! It sent us on an Alice in Wonderland Geo tour of Port Townsend! As we followed the BBs ‘white rabbit’ we encountered all kinds of whimsical and highly entertaining waypoints! We have never found waypoints in Fortune Cookies and we have never had ‘Officer Friendly’ cheerfully show us the way to the prize! Waypoints written on a bunch of festive balloons… nope. Waypoints printed on the Tee shirt of a young boy playing in the sand on the beach… never! Waypoints boldly draped across the Nymph in the water fountain in the middle of town… well maybe, this is Port Townsend after all! In the end it was a 5 star+ kick in the pants. The bumblingbs & family along with Shunra raised the fun bar to a new level with the Port Townsend Romp! Hmmm…curiouser and curiouser…

Many thanks from the wienerdogs

The Port Townsend Romp. The ratings were difficulty 2 ½, terrain 2 but there is a category missing… fun! That rating is 5+ stars all the way! It started when Shunra handed Rose a gift wrapped box containing the first waypoint. Veeery methodically and veeery slowly Rose opened the package as we all watched like a group of White House press reporters waiting for the big scoop! We got our scoop and what a blast it was! It sent us on an Alice in Wonderland Geo tour of Port Townsend! As we followed the BBs ‘white rabbit’ we encountered all kinds of whimsical and highly entertaining waypoints! We have never found waypoints in Fortune Cookies and we have never had ‘Officer Friendly’ cheerfully show us the way to the prize! Waypoints written on a bunch of festive balloons… nope. Waypoints printed on the Tee shirt of a young boy playing in the sand on the beach… never! Waypoints boldly draped across the Nymph in the water fountain in the middle of town… well maybe, this is Port Townsend after all! In the end it was a 5 star+ kick in the pants. The bumblingbs & family along with Shunra raised the fun bar to a new level with the Port Townsend Romp! Hmmm…curiouser and curiouser…

Many thanks from the wienerdogs

Wienerdog, I am quoting your full text by way of endorsement, since you couldn't have said it better. Except, the kudos are all for Mrs. B. The rest of us played only really minor parts in the setup, and personally, I was entirely in the dark about everything.

I think I can speak for everyone who attended by saying that all had a blast. The appreciative logs are coming in and can be viewed on the Port Townsend Romp page. I have put up some pictures too, and hope that others will follow.

I will announce here when the final cache - the best stocked cache I have ever seen - will be approved. Look out for Romp Remnants, soon on your screens!

I had lots of fun meeting you all, some of you for the first time, others again. I look forward to future events, but, as RWW and 4CS say: this event has raised the bar!

(And since I'm at it: Congratulations for Wienerdog for finding #15 on bumblingbs' Sweet 16 series!)

OK: this message will bring us officially back On Topic:

The Romp Remnant page is up. Everybody who found it at the end of the event is welcome to log it. If you dropped coins or TBs, please log them in!

Residents of the 'security van' (which hadn't been there when I hid the cache) watched the many many goodies that were deposited with great interrest, and upon consultation, I took the full container home with me. That's why the cache is ' temporarily unavailable'. One of these days I will hide it at a new location.

Thank you!!!!! to everyone who came. I had such a good time planning this event, and watching the geocachers go by. I don't want to do chores today!!!! Can't we just keep on Romping?

Bumblingbs shouldn't be doing chores.

I would like to nominate bumblingbs for Official Geocache Event Consultant.

Any seconds?