Event In Harriman State Park? Ny

avroair

I've been lining up a few in the Bear Mountain area for when I get back from vacation. Almost any date will be good, since I can arrange to be off work with just a few days notice. Sounds as if the REAL Quoddy will be able to go on another jaunt with Bella!

I've been lining up a few in the Bear Mountain area for when I get back from vacation. Almost any date will be good, since I can arrange to be off work with just a few days notice. Sounds as if the REAL Quoddy will be able to go on another jaunt with Bella!

Bella can't wait! But she want Quoddy to at least buy her dinner first, maybe a movie too.

I've participated in a number of various races throughout Harriman SP and have found it to be surprisingly rugged for being so close to NYC.

There are many opportunities for a wide range of recreational events.

As for caching, search using zipcode 10911 (Bear Mountain).

There's also a set of permanently marked orienteering courses in the Silvermine area that are maintained by HVO:

http://hvo.us.orienteering.org/hvo/maps/hv...rmanent_courses

Okay looking at people's schedules... and my own. I would think 24th-25th July would be tentative dates...

I was thinking of a picnic with lots of hiking, lots of walking and food. :ph34r:

The area has a very diverse activity schedule and lots of landscapes.... like I said before.... and of course lots of caches bunched together on different mountain tops! My favourite: .25 miles away... but 1500 feet up!

Anyways, chip in what you think:

Hiking, Picnic, Camping... I will check with the Park Rangers office tomrrow, I called them today at 4:33 and they were closed. (they close at 4:30).

July 24th or 25th or both...

Okay looks like July 24th is the best bet. I will look into four potential spots: Lake Welch

Lake Sebago

Lake Tiorati

There is also a nice picnic area at Lake Kanawauke, but no playground, cabins or camping.

Here is my idea so far:

Lake Welch Beach - Harriman State Park

* Picnic by one of the lakes

* activities available to people: swimming, fishing, boating, picnicking, hiking and camping

* this won't be official overnight event but people are welcome to camp, there are campgrounds, cabins or shelters

* we must bring our own grills

* we will need a permit if more than 25 people show up or if we arrive in a bus!

* Appalachian Trail - camping within sight of any shelter is also permitted! (this could be fun!)

* boating permits: $15 (rentals available on lake welch)

* parking fees my be applicable at any of the areas we choose

* fishing requires a NY state license (under 13 not required)

* Pets: All picnic and camping areas, pets NOT permitted (sorry Quoddy and Bella)

* Horses allowed on horse trails only, mountain bikes on bike trails only

I am going to scout out three locations this following weekend.

I'll have to check my calendar, but if I/We are free you can count us in. This past weekend we bagged 9 caches in the park, so we are definitely conditioned to the terrain we are up against! We also waypointed a cool abandoned house to go back and explore!

As for not bringing the pooches...That really stinks that they are not welcome to hike in Harriman. On the other hand, the place is loaded with ticks, so this may be a good thing.

Kar of TS!! :grin:

Edited by Team Shibby

PET POLICY:

Dogs are allowed on a leash (shorter than 6 ft) on the trails. :mad:

They are not allowed in campgrounds, picnic areas, beaches and just about everywhere else we could possibly hang out :grin:

As for cachers, they are also only allowed on the trails with a leash! :mad:

If we can confirm 25 people the ranger told me we can reserve an area... or was it he told me we had to tell him... hmmm, I had better check on that!

Oh yes, and I am supposed to ask if anyone is bringing along a bus? Just curious since we need a permit for it. Nice to know upfront. :huh:

Okay update:

Harriman State Park - Lake Kanawauke

July 24th

* Parking area with picnic tables and grills

* Beach with swimming and boating available ($15 boat fee, $10 key fee)

* Need to be there early to grab a spot, no reservations (geocachers rise early, right!?!)

* 3 AP shelters within 1 mile for those who would like to camp overnight

I will sacrafice my sleep to get up and 'grab' a spot! Once grabbed the day is free for morning hikes and caches... back for lunch at noon and more hikes and caches in the afternoon...

Entrance to the park is $6 and i have been told if you want to bring a bus you have to pay extra fee. B)

Okay update:

Harriman State Park - Lake Kanawauke

July 24th

* Beach with swimming and boating available ($15 boat fee, $10 key fee)

FYI - There is no key required for Kanawauke. The key is only required for Lakes Welch, Tiorati, and Stahahe. Also, you must have a wearable Personal Flotation Device (PFD) for each person on board the vessel and children under 12 must wear a PFD at all times (NY State law). They check your PFDs when you get the boating permit.

There is no swimming at Kanawauke. There are beaches at Lakes Welch, Tiorati, and Sebago.

There is no swimming at Kanawauke.

According to the Kanawauke Ranger:

* Kanawauke swimming begins June 21st through Labor Day

* no key required

* You DO need a personal lift jacket

Not sure is any of this is applicable unless there is a geocache in the water :tongue:

Now who volunteers to put one there?

BTW: Yes, Bakonta, you just volunteered to grab a table. I was planning to be there at 7:30 a.m. but if you can snag one before... :blink:

Harriman Event is posted: GCJKP7 Harriman Pirates & Picnic Event

Swimming, BBQueing, Boating, Hiking, Talking, Caching, Eating... PIRATING! :D

I have 9 caches planned for the event, I have mapped out the locations, I will probably place all of them, I need 4 people to host a couple each for me :D

1. Water multi-cache: 1st stage in water 2nd stage on land

2. Island cache: on an Island!

3. 3-stage land multi

4. micro in the woods

5. traditional cache

6. traditional cache

7. water cache: placed in da water!

8. Mystery, Projection - offset

9. Mystery - Pirates Treasure. You will need to visit the other caches and solve the puzzle

Any volunteers? Don't be shy. ;)

No need to even place them! But that would be nice!!! :)

There is the Cedar Ponds Group Camp Site, not to far from Tiorati Swimming beach and close to AT and other pleasant trails. Cedar Ponds Group Camp site has A<B and C camp sites. Camping is right on the shore and is among the prettiest local public camp sites anywhere. Canoeing and Kayaking on Lake Tiorati, boat must be approved, which means PFD's of proper type and a painter.