Phantom Reset

Left Coast Labs

While looking for B344 (TR0332) I found a disk stamped B344 RESET 1965. The data sheet shows 1965 as the last time the mark was found and makes no mention of a RESET being placed :lol: .

The original mark was on the side of a building which has had another building built next to it, covering the mark. The description fits the physical location of the RESET, now in the sidewalk instead of on the building.

Question is, how should I log this one? Do I log B344 as found or just make a note since I didn't find the actual mark and the RESET doesn't have a PID?

Left Coast Labs -

What I would do is:

1. Log TR0332 as "Didn't find it", and write your findings.

2. Include a picture of the RESET marker with a note explaining that it isn't TR0332.

3. As an extra, if you measured the Lat-Lon coordinates of the RESET disk, as you upload its picture, click on the box called "Has a waypoint" so that you can enter its Lat-Lon coordinates.

If you at least do #1 and #2, subsequent benchmark hunters will be less likely to make the error of logging the RESET mark as a find of TR0332. :ph34r:

While looking for B344 (TR0332) I found a disk stamped B344 RESET 1965.  The data sheet shows 1965 as the last time the mark was found and makes no mention of a RESET being placed :ph34r: .

The original mark was on the side of a building which has had another building built next to it, covering the mark.  The description fits the physical location of the RESET, now in the sidewalk instead of on the building. 

Question is, how should I log this one?  Do I log B344 as found or just make a note since I didn't find the actual mark and the RESET doesn't have a PID?

Log it as NOT FOUND and email Deb Brown an explanation what you found since the original mark was listed as NOT FOUND by our "friends", the USPSQN in 2001. Somewhere there has to be information about the RESET that has been overlooked.

TR0332 HISTORY - 20010331 MARK NOT FOUND NGS

TR0332

TR0332 STATION DESCRIPTION

TR0332

TR0332'DESCRIBED BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1952

TR0332'IN OAK HARBOR.

TR0332'AT OAK HARBOR, AT THE POST OFFICE, SET VERTICALLY IN THE EAST CONCRETE

TR0332'WALL, 2.1 FEET SOUTH OF THE NORTHEAST CORNER OF THE BUILDING, AND 0.6

TR0332'FOOT ABOVE THE SURFACE OF A DRIVEWAY. NOTE-- WHAT WAS THE POST OFFICE

TR0332'IS NOW A SHOE STORE. MARK IS IN THE OUTSIDE WALL, BUT A SMALL OFFICE

TR0332'IS BEING BUILT, THE INSIDE WALL PANELING OF WHICH WILL COVER THE MARK.

TR0332'MARK LEFT IN TACT. NOTE-- SMALL OFFICE WAS NOT COMPLETED AND BM

TR0332'STILL USEABLE.

TR0332

TR0332 STATION RECOVERY (1965)

TR0332

TR0332'RECOVERY NOTE BY NATIONAL GEODETIC SURVEY 1965

TR0332'RECOVERED IN GOOD CONDITION.

TR0332

TR0332 STATION RECOVERY (2001)

TR0332

TR0332'RECOVERY NOTE BY NATIONAL GEODETIC SURVEY 2001 (DB)

TR0332'THIS REPORT WAS SUBMITTED BY THE US POWER SQUADRONS.

Edited by Colorado Papa

Thanks all for the inputs. I didn't go to the NGS page for the latest datasheet info and thus missed the 2001 entry. I'll use the direct link in the future.

The "new" building is being renovated to become a restraunt, so with a little luck I might get a peek at the old wall and maybe the true B344. Until then, I'll post a note and go from there.

Edited by Left Coast Labs