Gps Technology

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I'm going for it anyway. I have had my e-trax Legend for about 2 years. I'm pretty happy with it, but I'm wondering if the technology is better on the newer GPS units. If so, what can the newer units do that the Legend can't? Should I wait because there is better technology on the horizon?

If I were you I'd send me that old broken down outdated worthless boat anchor and go buy something new. We would both feel much better..... :ph34r:

Wanna find out if yours isn't doing it's job? Go caching. If you dont' find any then it's because of two reasons. It was muggled or hidden with a diff factor better than your ability.

Your receiver is doing all it can and that's process the same signals that are there that were there when you bought it. Nothing has changed to effect the performance of your Legend. The only thing that has changed is the price and maybe more whistles that only some people need so they can say they have them.....Unless you need more memory or other features keep it. Save your money for now and enjoy caching.

my step dad has a meri color and i took my brand new legend with him and mine was 2 feet closer then his (: (they both have waas on)

and my legend has a lil more stuff then his like calculater and fish and game stuff.

my step dad was like ????????UNFAIR??????

Edited by nick_02

I have a Vista and "upgraded" to a Pocket PC when my old organizer broke. At the time I was thinking of upgrading my Vista to a 60CS but glad I didn't. So now I go "paperless" and use the PPC for autorouting as well as for business functions. I use the Vista only in the woods for the most part.

Good luck

Alan

I have a Vista and "upgraded" to a Pocket PC when my old organizer broke. At the time I was thinking of upgrading my Vista to a 60CS but glad I didn't. So now I go "paperless" and use the PPC for autorouting as well as for business functions. I use the Vista only in the woods for the most part.

Good luck

Alan

What GPSr do you use for your ppc?

I have a Vista and "upgraded" to a Pocket PC when my old organizer broke.  At the time I was thinking of upgrading my Vista to a 60CS but glad I didn't.  So now I go "paperless" and use the PPC for autorouting as well as for business functions.  I use the Vista only in the woods for the most part. 

Good luck

Alan

What GPSr do you use for your ppc?

Fortuna GPS-PocketXtrack fits into the CF slot of my Ipaq 2215.

It has 2 positions. One with regular sensitivity for use in a car. Sensitivity about the same as my Vista. A more sensitive XT mode for use in heavy tree cover. Once locked, you do not lose it where the Vista will. I tried it in a diner too for the heck of it. Where my Vista was picking up 0 sats, the Fortuna picked up 6 or 7. They run about 150 or 50 dollars more than other CF types, but for caching in the woods, its worth it. Great for getting the coordinates for a cache you hide too.

The XT mode is not good for driving though as its responce time is too slow for turns you make. Hence the regular setting whcih is less sensitive but quicker responce.

Here's some info on it. I didn't buy it from these people though.

Description

I also have a cable that allows me to connect my Vista to the PPC and operate both from the car lighter. That keeps the PPC charged and the Vista batteries fresh. Sometime I use this arrangement if I'm planning to jump out of the car and start caching with the Vista. Otherwise, for just driving around I use the PPC with Fortuna with the lighter cable for external power.

Alan

Edited by Alan2
my step dad has a meri color and i took my brand new legend with him and mine was 2 feet closer then his (: (they both have waas on)

and my legend has a lil more stuff then his like calculater and fish and game stuff.

my step dad was like ????????UNFAIR??????

Meri Color very sweet GPS 5 star baby :) Much more room to upgrade, Much better display, and all WAAS enabled GPS units, same accurate.KMS

I upgraded from Vista to 60CS,

here is 60CS pluses compared to Vista:

1. Display is much much much better. Vista have little use in a car.

because of the small and noncontrast screen.

2. Battery life 3 times better in 60CS

3. USB connection is much faster, I hate to wait 30 minutes to download maps into Vista.

4. 60CS searches sattelites a bit faster, I think it is because of better internal clock and better antenna (?) With Vista it sometimes takes couple of minutes to search signal (Hot start), In case of 60CS sometimes it just few seconds, that means you can turn it off and turn it on to save batteries

Edited by vr12
I upgraded from Vista to 60CS,

here is 60CS pluses compared to Vista:

1. Display is much much much better. Vista have little use in a car.

because of the small and noncontrast screen.

2. Battery life 3 times better in 60CS

3. USB connection is much faster, I hate to wait 30 minutes to download maps into Vista.

4. 60CS searches sattelites a bit faster, I think it is because of better internal clock and better antenna (?) With Vista it sometimes takes couple of minutes to search signal (Hot start), In case of 60CS sometimes it just few seconds, that means you can turn it off and turn it on to save batteries

5. Map Memory - 56MB (7X the 8MB of the Legend)

6. Color! (OOOOoooh... Pretty :tongue: )

7. Autorouting (turn indicator tones)

8. Autorouting (turn-by-turn directions)

9. Autorouting (fast recalculation)