Cicadas-- We're Back!

Just wondering if anybody else has started discovering the cicadas? This is the year for their once ervery 17 year return. This past weekend in southern Indiana I noticed at least 75 to 100 in a 5 square yard area. They were in various stages from just emerging from the ground to completely winged. This should make for a very loud summer!! I guess were lucky they are totaly harmless.

From what I've read, these noisy bugs are harmless to pets. Cicadas are not poisonous in any way. The problem is that there may be so many of these bugs all emerging at one time that a pet may ingest too many of them, making them vomit. Like most things, moderation is best, even when it comes to pets eating bugs.

;) Well you guys can crow about your Cicadas. Our invasion has never developed :P. I am jealous. I thought they were coming a few weeks a go while caching in Maryland, about 25 miles away, they were everywhere there, buut it was a cool day and they were not singing their song. Rats! So, even when I find them, they are so stinkin' cold they can't sing. Geeeeeze you think I can get a refund on my Cicada T-shirt I bought.

As usual, we humans made a big deal out of a natural event. Some were even dreading the event. Wex experienced our frist and only invasion the last go round when we lived in Tennessee. It was crazy and alot of fun. During the mating fest, of the Cicadas, we attended a large outdoor concert one evening.. the lights attracted thousands of them and made it a wild evening. They looked really neat flying around the lights, the lights lit their wings up and the shimmer off them was incredible. You should have seen it, a cool natural event.