Irby School House Cache

ott

I discovered this cache by accident. The good thing is I'm about to get hooked on this game. The bad thing is that I have removed the cache from the site, until it's save to hunt there. Would the owner please contact me so we can place this cache properly. Thank you

I'm glad that you stumbled on a cache and are now interested in caching -- welcome to our favorite past time! :lol:

Hopefully, those of us on the forums can help you to contact the cache owner and replace the cache. I did a search on geocaching.com for "Irby" and "Irby School," but didn't find any caches with that name. Could you tell us a bit more -- what state and/or town it was in?

If you have the cache, there should be a log book for signatures inside. Often these have the name or ID number for the cache. Do you have either of these?

If you don't have any of that information, then perhaps you could look up the geocaching names of the last few people who have signed the log book. They might be able to more fully identify the cache so you can contact the owner.

Cin

I found this cache in the little town of Irby, Washington. Irby is no longer a town, just a grain elevator and a few homes, no stores or anything. Nearest town is Odessa, Wa. 99159 There is a log book in the cache, all it has on it is Irby School House Cache, I didn't see where anyone has signed the log book. Thanks for your help

Wow, that really is a puzzler. With no names in the log book even, you can't contact previous finders.

I'm assuming that there was a geocaching.com sticker or information sheet, so you knew it was a geocache? If so, then my guess is that the cache was placed but never listed -- perhaps it wasn't approved, and the hiders just left the cache behind? Or, it could be that the cache is brand new and the page hasn't been set up yet.

Hopefully, someone from that area will check the forums and get back to you.

cin

There is a geocaching information sheet with the log book. I'm sorry I don't know what a navicache or letterbox are...yet

If there is a geocaching log sheet then you are at the right place. Navicache is another cache listing site. Letterboxing is a non GPS version of geocaching.

If you can use the map page you might be able to find where on the map this geocache was at and find it that way.

Plug in the zip code of the cache location here: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/

Then pick any likely looking cache. On the cache page will be a For Online Maps... spot with links under it. Use the Geocaching.com (shows caches) link. You can then scroll the map around to find the cache if it was listed. If you had a GPS you can plug in coordinates for the cache direction on the seek page.

If you still cant find the cache you can post the coordinates on this page and an approver may be able to search archived or unapproved caches to see if thats it.

This is why we should always put contact information inside the cache box.

I can only see two active caches in the Odessa area, both up around the Odessa Crater. There is another one down by the Batum Missle Silo, and one (a fairly new one) about 15 miles south east of town towards Ritzville.

That area is remarkably cache barren, as the four caches I have mentioned are the only caches listed between I-90 and US-2 in the Odessa area.

BTW: I've found Irby on the map.... nothing at all listed in that area.

Edited by Right Wing Wacko

I'll give you a little history. The Irby School House was built in 1905, and closed in 1956. It sat vaccant till the late sixties when the school district sold it to my father. By then it was in pretty ruff shape. The windows were all broken, the roof was bad and so on. It went through various stages of salvage and demolition, untill last weekend when I burned what was left. While getting ready to light the fire, I discovered the cache. Untill I haul off the remaining ashes, plaster and nail, I'd prefer that no one went on the site. When I get it cleaned up a bit I'd like to put the cache back and have the site listed.

I'll give you a little history. The Irby School House was built in 1905, and closed in 1956. It sat vaccant till the late sixties when the school district sold it to my father. By then it was in pretty ruff shape. The windows were all broken, the roof was bad and so on. It went through various stages of salvage and demolition, untill last weekend when I burned what was left. While getting ready to light the fire, I discovered the cache. Untill I haul off the remaining ashes, plaster and nail, I'd prefer that no one went on the site. When I get it cleaned up a bit I'd like to put the cache back and have the site listed.

To post a picture it needs to be somewhere on the web, then copy the address link to it with the "IMG" button when you post a reply here. Too bad the schoolhouse couldn't be saved. I love seeing those things.

At any rate, I have something to send you personally that you may be interested in.

Wow. What a neat schoolhouse. I hope you do honor this old school with a geocache site -- that would be a great way to keep history alive.

When you start the new cache listing begin with something like, "Just as I was about to light the fire, I spied this interesting box. . .." It doesn't get any better than that! :blink:

I'd make a trip to Eastern Washington just to find this one.