Who Likes To Do It In The Dark?

I like caching at night and Ive done quite a few nocturnal cache finds myself. The only problem Ive had is missing the sign that says "Park Closes at Sunset" because it was too dark to see.

Iv also had a couple of run ins with local law enforcement wondering who this wacko is running around the woods at night with a flashlight and GPS.

Probably 2/3's of my finds have been after dark. Of course, in this neck of the woods it gets dark at 1630 in the winter time so if you're not into night caching you don't go caching during the winter months. I actually prefer nocturnal caching to diurnial caching. It's amazing how white plastic containers glow in the dark when you hit them with a BFL. The downside is that you miss much of the scenery that you would normally experience during the daytime.

I've been a fan of night caching since about my fifth month of geocaching, when a very prolific geocacher took me along on some night hunts and helped me to get over some apprehensions I had held about safety, ease of finding the caches, etc. Since then, I've found many a cache after dark, and I'm always looking at unfound caches to decide which ones would be more fun to do at night. If it's an area with great scenic views, I'll save it for daytime. If it's a densely wooded, spooky area, doing the cache at night only adds to the excitement.

Also, after reading in the forums about the "BFL's" which initially seemed to be popular only in Gorak's neck of the woods, last Christmas I gave myself a 2,000,000 candlepower BFL as a present. The "LepreSun" really lights up the cache area and often makes it easier to find the cache than hunting for it in broad daylight. I always mention in my log when the LepreSun contributes to the cache find, so that other readers might consider purchasing a BFL.

When you've found a few hundred tupperware containers in the woods, they sometimes start to feel like the same thing over and over again. Finding a 1/1 cache at night adds some needed variety and often winds up turning the hunt into a higher difficulty level due to the darkness (BFL's don't last forever without being recharged) or a higher terrain level due to bad trail choices (it's a challenge when you can't see anything at long range).

Edited by The Leprechauns
I've been a fan of night caching since about my fifth month of geocaching, when a very prolific geocacher took me along on some night hunts and helped me to get over some apprehensions I had held about safety, ease of finding the caches, etc. Since then, I've found many a cache after dark, and I'm always looking at unfound caches to decide which ones would be more fun to do at night. If it's an area with great scenic views, I'll save it for daytime. If it's a densely wooded, spooky area, doing the cache at night only adds to the excitement.

Also, after reading in the forums about the "BFL's" which initially seemed to be popular only in Gorak's neck of the woods, last Christmas I gave myself a 2,000,000 candlepower BFL as a present. The "LepreSun" really lights up the cache area and often makes it easier to find the cache than hunting for it in broad daylight. I always mention in my log when the LepreSun contributes to the cache find, so that other readers might consider purchasing a BFL.

When you've found a few hundred tupperware containers in the woods, they sometimes start to feel like the same thing over and over again. Finding a 1/1 cache at night adds some needed variety and often winds up turning the hunt into a higher difficulty level due to the darkness (BFL's don't last forever without being recharged) or a higher terrain level due to bad trail choices (it's a challenge when you can't see anything at long range).

Since the hamsters are nocturnal, does it make it harder to close the lid on the cache before the try to escape?

Dumb Question what's a BFL? ;)

Big Fudging Light

To be politically correct, it's Big Flash Light. :lol: Usually a 500,000 to 2,000,000 candlepower light with a pistol grip and a rechargable lead-acid battery. Burn time ranges from about 45 minutes for a 500K cp light to 20 minutes for the 1M cp light. I'm about to convert my BFL's to 500K from 1M to gain the extra burn time.

Edited by Gorak

Night caching is exhilarating. I have found approximately 50 caches at night. As Keystone said, it adds dimension.

Those BFLs are great. My friends up in BC introduced me to BFLs! :D

Like Carleen, I have a problem with night vision. Using a BFL is a last resort for me. I prefer the LFHeadlamp. If someone uses a BFL for a few seconds then turns it off, even my LFH is useless. I'm temporarily blinded for a few moments.

Then I loose my balance and I just have to kneel down or grab ahold of something until I recover. The BFLs are handy to have but my LFH works fine, too, and perhaps adds an even greater dimension to night caching.

For those who have not tried it, I highly reccommend. ;):lol:

Night caching has taught me my night vision sucks anymore. Naturally I Practice for night caching by driving at night with my sunglasses on.

Because of the Night Vision I don't like BFL's and settle for medium duty with a lot longber burn time.

Come to think of it maybe it's not so much the night vision as it is all the beer...I tend to do the night caching after a cache event that involves beer. Yup that's got to be it...

It's amazing how white plastic containers glow in the dark when you hit them with a BFL. The downside is that you miss much of the scenery that you would normally experience during the daytime

After a "fun" experience duck hunting one year, I tend to avoid BFL's - after walking a (long)while, they seem to weight about 100 lbs!

I now use a mini-mag(2AA) &/or a headlamp. Sometimes it can take the fun out of it if you spot the cache from long range with the light - but it can also make the search harder, since I tend to focus on just the lit area.

The real FUN is when you meet the pair of eyes out in the woods staring back at you.

The pause as you try and figure out what it is ....

Priceless!

(*so far i have been lucky to only run into deer, and a fe little varmits)

I love night caching, but don't really like to go by myself. I got hooked after this cache.

Scariest cache...ever. So very dark. So very quiet. So many gators. And possums. Found this one with Rogue23 at about 1:30 in the morning. We had to walk for about 1/3 of a mile to the cache site. We saw a few gators on our way in and then spotted 4 gators in the water near the cache. Then a fish jumped out of the water and we both took 3 quick steps backwards while yelling "holy #*@$!, we're going to die!". We then debated for awhile about going into the woods where we wouldn't be able to run away from whatever man-eating creatures were surely lurking in there. After calling each other chicken for awhile, we ventured in and (thankfully) I spotted the cache within 2 minutes. Way too nervous to take anything, so we just signed the log really quickly with our last will and testament in case we didn't make it out alive and then hightailed it out of there and back to the car (making sure to check under the car for the boogeyman and then the backseat for serial killers).

When all was said and done though, it was the best cache I did in Florida while I was there. I'm now officially addicted to night caching and can't wait to go up here in PA.

Thanks for the great time!

After a "fun" experience duck hunting one year, I tend to avoid BFL's - after walking a (long)while, they seem to weight about 100 lbs!

I now use a mini-mag(2AA) &/or a headlamp. Sometimes it can take the fun out of it if you spot the cache from long range with the light - but it can also make the search harder, since I tend to focus on just the lit area.

The real FUN is when you meet the pair of eyes out in the woods staring back at you.

The pause as you try and figure out what it is ....

Priceless!

(*so far i have been lucky to only run into deer, and a fe little varmits)

I have a strap on my BFL so I can sling it over my shoulder. It really doesn't weigh that much, though. You really only use the BFL when you are in the immediate vicinity of the cache. The rest of the time I (and now my night caching companions) use LED headlamps to illuminate the trails. The LED lamps don't destroy your night vision as much and you can get a couple hundred hours out of a set of rechargable AA's.

We've encountered lots of glowing eyes looking back at us from the bushes, but the scariest was probably this one that I found with Jomarac5 and Craggers. Large glowing teeth freak me out more than large glowing eyes. :lol: J5's log entry was pretty good.

I spent this past weekend in Memphis. With the baby finally asleep, and Mrs Frog safely tucked into the motel, chatting with her friend we came to visit, I went on the prowl around 9:30. I've had a few minor cache hunts at night -- some night-specific, some efforts to be FTF, etc., but this was a hoot. Two-three hours of me running around in the various parks and never knowing what to expect in the dark, armed with the GPS and a maglite. I had a heap of fun, even if every park in Memphis had an inch of standing water!

I've been meaning to shop around for a good headlight (whatever they're "officially" called) with LEDs & a halogen alternate.

I plan on doing it again soon!

I've done a few night caches and I love them. It adds a new dimension to the game.

Recently, I've starting doing regular caches at night with Mopar. And, that can be both fun and challenging.

I LOVE NIGHT CACHING!

:D:):D:):D:):D:):D:):D:)

Happy night caching and stuff!! :ph34r:

I love night caching and unfortunatly do not do enough of it.

I have a 2,000,000 cp BFL and a LFL Headlamp for the task.

I have been looking seriously at some of the low end Night Vision Monoculars. These are getting affordable and as long as someone doesn't shine a BFL in your face when it's turned on..........

Due to restictive work schedules, we tend to do a lot of our caching at night. I love it! It does add a bit of a challenge, but it spices up your average 1/1. Besides, we have always been night owls with a curiosity for the spooky and abandoned areas, so this is right up our alley!

Kar of TS!! :ph34r:

While I haven't ever been night caching, I have all the equipment to do it. I'm just looking for the right caches. Cause I mean, night caching isn't really economical. Cause you drive out to do one good cache that's good for night caching, but then if none of the other surrounding caches are good for night caching, you just drove all that way for nothing....

But I have all the supplies for night caching.

The GeoJeep has alot of extra exterior lighting mounted on it, and we also have a spotlight that plugs into the cigarette lighter.

I also have a good supply, (and I mean a couple cases) of chemical glow sticks and I have the most awesome flash light. It's a normal sized flashlight with LEDs, but it also has red and blue filters that you can put on so it doesn't ruin your night vision. Plus I have my big maglite, with a specially made filter for it.

And I've been looking to get myself a real BFL for quite some time...

While I haven't ever been night caching, I have all the equipment to do it.  I'm just looking for the right caches.  Cause I mean, night caching isn't really economical.  Cause you drive out to do one good cache that's good for night caching, but then if none of the other surrounding caches are good for night caching, you just drove all that way for nothing....

LOL - Virtually all caches are good for night caches! Some are just a bit better than others. Parks that are closed at night just add a slightly new and mischievious dimension to locating the cache. :ph34r:

I've done a fair bit. It's a great way to get those FTFs.

I don't carry a BFL or a headlamp. I usually just carry a single AA LED light and only turn it on when I'm checking a possible hide site or crossing an obstruction on the trail, and then only momentarily. I do this for reasons of stealth rather than blindness. Stealth is much more important when night caching, and stomping around with a searchlight or walking the trails with headlamps is just asking for problems, imo, but that's just me.

One tip I have learned for urban night caching is to find legal on-street parking some distance from the cache site. Don't just go into the park parking lot (if there is one) - park a little further away and walk in.

oh, and wear black. all black. gotta look the part.

It also seems like your senses are heightened in the dark... or maybe that's fear.  :ph34r:  Whatever it is, it definitely adds a new dimension to the game.  My first night cache ended up being about a mile into the woods from the road.  What a great hunt.

Just wait Mac. Remember my Haunted Series part 3, Ther Chandler Estate? I'm going to be making that a night cache. Bring an extra pair of pants. :)

Edited by JMBella

usually go out on a tues. nite or a weds. nite with a bunch of minnesota cachers....then go to a bar afterwards...

but My nite caching is going down hill for the summer with more daylight hours :ph34r:

ITS the ONLY WAY TO CACHE!!!

If I can't brag about the numbers at least I can brag about my nightcaching trips.

Working second shift I have been doing a lot of caching lately at night since I can't sleep right away anyways. It adds a degree of difficulty and there are less muggles around. It is usually a lot cooler too. Anybody else prefer it at night? :ph34r:

Swing Shifter here too. About a third of my finds are at night.

Here's a hard one that can ONLY be done at night. It's a 16 stage multi.

Sn :):) gans

I enjoy doing them at night. I like to walk in the woods at night with either no light at all or just an LED headlamp. I have become very partial to LED lights (facinated might be a better word). I ALWAYS carry a 3 LED headlamp and a single AA LED flashlight in my pockets. I have found quite a few with these little lights.

On one trip in a state park (open all night if you are a camper), we found a whole colony of glow worms. We stood on a little bridge with no lights and watched them for quite a while. I imagined it was like in medieval times looking down from a mountaintop on an invading army marching with their torches. Reaaly cool. Love being out at night. Caching is a great excuse.

Of the 10 or so caches I have done I had the most fun with the couple I did as night fell. Usually I would start way too late in the day, and end up clawing my way back home in the dark. Lots of fun, actually. It's even better when I emerge from the woods, with all my gear, and all scratched up and extremely dirty, then head directly into the Subway (sandwiches, not trains) to fill up my stomach.

I am planning a design for a Super Light that will consist of 2 BFLs mounted on a hard hat, with a gel-cell battery in a backpack for power. Not so much for night hiking/caching (too heavy!) but for another hobby of mine.

Just got back from a night cache hunt. Here is the log that I just posted for getting a FTF on a cache at 2:15AM

May 20 by Mastifflover (145 found)

FTF for Mastifflover!! Saw this cache pop up and knew where this little park was located because we just did the Liquid Gold cache on Sunday. Took my sisters boyfriend Jeremy on his first cache hunt as he is a second shift night owl like myself. Found the cache at 2:15 AM. Tricky hide! Found one of the "hints". With Jeremy's help I quickly filled the garbage bag that I took with me so there are a few less bottles to step on. Thanks for the fun!!

I've always been a fan of caching at night. I guess that's because before that I was a big fan of boating at night. I liked being out when I practically had the entire bay to myself. It's amazing how many people are afraid to be out on the open water at night. Even more amazing is to watch most of the ones that do stray out. No concept of night vision. They would be out there putting around with their big ol' searchlights going, while I would be zipping around with the bare legal minimum lighting. Even then I fabricated shields to preserve my night vision.

Caching at night is usually the same way. I usually prefer to hike with no light at all, occasionally using my mini-mag with 1/2 dead batteries to light up difficult terrain. Once at the cache site that all changes. :ph34r:

I picked up on the BFL from the BC cachers long ago. Like someone else said, that tupperware really lights up when hit with handheld daylight!

Yes, that does totally destroy your nightvision, but I'm the type that likes to linger at the cache, reading other logs, seeing what people traded, etc. Usually by the time I'm done with all that, and ready to leave, most of my nightvision has returned and I can hike back out in the dark.

40c6d51a-5ae6-4aa2-9890-c0a5ff0086b8.jpg

During the recent Team CHB run through Cacheville we did lots of night caching. We were out 'till midnight all three days there and probably made over 20% of our finds at night. We only used a BFL once; when we borrowed it from the security guard in the mall parking lot. :grin::mad:

He was so interested in what we were doing behind the threater that I'll bet he went out and bought his first GPSr the next day.

I have done half a dozen at night and wow, what a rush! I have a BFL but choose to use a tiny AAA Maglight instead. It draws less attention to you. One trip I lost battery power in the LFL and had to navigate out of the woods with the back-light on high on my Meriplat. I had several spare sets for her :grin: !

Returning from another cache at 2:30 am just a few nights ago (as I did three nights in a row), I realized it had become more of a common occurance this passt winter.

Sorting my finds by time I discovered about 20 of my 200 were at night, fewer than half-a-dozen past midnight.

I use a 7-LED headlamp and can't stand anything brighter due to the loss of vision. Just replaced the batteries the other day! Many of my best caching experiences were nighttime (checkout the links in my profile--particularly the 5 hrs solo).

I do the typical stuff talked about here years ago, park unobtrusively, toss a note on the dash, carry a backup AA light, food/water, etc...

Enjoy,

Randy

A high percentage of my caches have been found at night. Sometimes, a bunch of my local friends and I go on a night-caching run where we take down about 15 or so. Most often though, like last night, I go alone. I really enjoy the additional dimension. It's also a requirement for me when I travel on business. I'll usually work from 7am-6pm. Then, the evening is mine. And I'll typically cache until around midnight or so before heading back to the hotel.

I night-cache with a 3-cell maglight, and a mini-mag.