Are Ticks Getting Smarter?

Skip_

I agreee - not just the ticks - but the ticks and chiggers and mosquitos and Poison Ivy are herendous this year! They really love me I tend to cache in the New Jersey/PA area but New Jersey is by far the worst for Ticks - literally pulling off up to 20 of them. Its gotten to the point that I want to wait till after summer - though I know they linger. I love when people tell you that a cache is relatively bug/specifically tick free. But that would be the best world as they say. I had quite an event with Chiggers too - a South Jersey thing this PA cacher wasn't familiar to this PA cacher and the bites lingered for weeks because I made the mistake of scratching them. I am now battling head to toe poison ivy - my family & freinds think Im nuts - part of the addiction of geocaching! Thanks for letting me vent - its really been bugging me! (tehehehe)

We live in the country in Wisconsin, so we're pulling ticks of the dogs, kids and ourselves every day. They used to bother me, but now they're just a nuisance. For the most part, you get them from walking around in tall grass. Ticks can be fun to play with. They arent ferocious, and won't latch on right away, so take some time to have a little fun with them. A ticks instinct is to climb to the highest point of their host. I'll put one on my hand and hold it up. Once the tick gets to the top, i'll turn my hand over and make him climb again. Over and over until I get bored torturing the little creep. Once i'm done with that, I'll put him on a table and use a pin to flip him over on his back. It's fun to watch the tick correct itself. Try it! After you've had your way with him, throw him in the toilet. :o

Dusting with either sulfur or sevin dust and putting your pants legs inside your socks will help cut down on ticks and chiggers... you have not seen a real tick or chigger until you hit the Oklahoma woods.... I have forty acres of land in Oklahoma while it is beautiful it is covered from one end to the other in ticks, chiggers and snakes.. and I hate all three with a passion :o