Plastic Ammo Boxes?

I used a plastic "ammo can" (dry box), purchased in the Sporting Goods store, for my very first cache placement. When I made my first maintenance check, I discovered that a visitor could not figure out how to open the container, so they just tore the cover off, ruining the hinges.

When selecting a container, be sure to keep in mind the stupidity factor / lowest common denominator of geocachers who will find your cache. Too many people cannot even replace a lid correctly on a tupperware style container in order to keep it watertight.

I am the cacher Joefrog is talking of. I purchased a plastic "ammo can" at Academy Sports (May be a southern chain). I used one for my first cache over a year and a half ago and it has held up extremely well. Never leaked. I have used two more since then. They were betwen $5 and $6 dollars. Worth the extra money for the durability. Took spray paint VERY well too! :ph34r:

I am the cacher Joefrog is talking of. I purchased a plastic "ammo can" at Academy Sports (May be a southern chain). I used one for my first cache over a year and a half ago and it has held up extremely well. Never leaked. I have used two more since then. They were betwen $5 and $6 dollars. Worth the extra money for the durability. Took spray paint VERY well too! :ph34r:

That price would be reasonable to me. All of the ones I have seen around here cost a minimum of $15-20. Do you know of any online sources?

What's worng with traditional ammo boxes?

We'll eventually run out of them, as the U.S. military is phasing them out. I understand Canada will still use them, but that's only a small fraction of what the U.S. uses. Maybe if we could get Canada to attack someone, it would up production.

Hey Canada! Luxembourg said you're all a bunch of wusses!

I read the question differently. Are you asking about the plastic commercial version of the ammo can, or the military plastic ammo can?

hummmm....

What I think I am looking for is a box that looks, tastes, smells and acts like the good 'ol 7.62 ammo can, but made out of plastic.

Needs to be as water-tight as the steel version.

Thanks for all the responses.

What's worng with traditional ammo boxes?

We'll eventually run out of them, as the U.S. military is phasing them out. I understand Canada will still use them, but that's only a small fraction of what the U.S. uses. Maybe if we could get Canada to attack someone, it would up production.

Hey Canada! Luxembourg said you're all a bunch of wusses!

Man, if they would keep a case of beer cold we would be all over them!!

As for Luxembourg... Bah! They don't even have a hockey team!

Scott canada.gif

I read the question differently.  Are you asking about the plastic commercial version of the ammo can, or the military plastic ammo can?

hummmm....

What I think I am looking for is a box that looks, tastes, smells and acts like the good 'ol 7.62 ammo can, but made out of plastic.

Needs to be as water-tight as the steel version.

Thanks for all the responses.

OK, I have seen those too. They are usually in the hunting department of your local outdoor store. I've seen them in GI Joes and Duffle Bag. Usually around $10, so a bit higher than I would like to pay.

Whoa!! $55 for a 9x7x6 box!? :ph34r:

That's an OTTER box, a really heavy-duty box for boating, divers, etc., not what I was talking about. Keeps something dry for a time and submersible if need be. Not suited for an underwarer cache, but darn handy on a boat.

I saw a plastic one at the local sporting goods store yesterday for $19.98 (not $20 mind you). I was looking at it when the salesman came over and mentioned that I could get the real thing for $8 at the surplus store <wink, wink, nod, nod>, well little does he know they are actually $7.98, I just bought one last week.