Things (painful) I was reminded of today while caching...

Siberian Cacher

1. Don't be greedy on getting the car close to the location. To save me the extra .10 of a mile, I took my poor camary 4-wheeling. Now, was that extra .10 a mile worth the flat tire? icon_redface.gif

2. The GPS is only a tool, not the path. Today, while coming back from my "find", I was engrossed in my GPS unit(back-tracking feature) while not watching where I was going. My dog and I, at the exact same moment, stepped into a cactus plant. We both screamed like icon_eek.gif little school-girls icon_razz.gif

3. Wear your hiking boots . Going along with point 2, I was lazy and wore my mesh Nike's instead of my hiking boots. Consequently, the cacti needles drove into my foot, through the mesh, and stayed there until I snapped them off by removing my shoe. icon_rolleyes.gif

So, may my painful experiences save another neewbie from the same mistakes. The good news is that my dog has forgivin me, I think, and we will be back out tomorrow.

Watching where I'm walking often plays second fiddle to watching the magic arrow turn....

Once while benchmarking, I missed stepping off into a giant post-hole about a foot across and two feet deep, just missed it by fractions of an inch.

Didn't find the marker, got hasseled by dam police (not dadgum police), but didn't break my leg so it was a good caching day.

I try to be more careful after that!

quote:
Originally posted by Team_Shing:

2. _ The GPS is only a tool, not the path. _ Today, while coming back from my "find", I was engrossed in my GPS unit(back-tracking feature) while not watching where I was going. My dog and I, at the exact same moment, stepped into a cactus plant. We both screamed like icon_eek.gif little school-girls icon_razz.gif

I have to ask. You were watching your GPS. What was your dog watching?

Wherever you go there you are.

Good reminders that often need reinforcing. Another tip is to always be mindful of the area you are searching in. Just last week I was looking at my gps when I stepped directly into a pile of fresh human pooh. icon_eek.gif It splattered all over my pants and shoes. In hindsight, I should've been more careful because the tree I was looking behind was obviously the ideal location for a quick restroom stop from the freeway.

--CoronaKid

HAHAHA!! Reminds me of the time when I wasn't looking, and ran into the cable that supports a telephone pole...DOING!!! There I was, grabbing for anything, then swinging back and forth while hanging on....of course, the first thing I did was look around to make sure no one saw how stupid I looked...

"If you do something dumb and no one sees, do you still look stupid?"