Garminz

I am almost tempted to buy two, do an in the field comparison, side by side...then take back the one I don't want. It seems to be the only way to be sure on the quality and reliability of them. I wanted to do that with the Corvette, Mustang, Porche, and see which fit my needs the best too, but the dealerships wouldn't take a check made out in full. What? It's good. <_<

I am almost tempted to buy two, do an in the field comparison, side by side...then take back the one I don't want. It seems to be the only way to be sure on the quality and reliability of them.

I didn't say "buy both then screw the dealer and manufacturer by returning one". So they can no longer sell the returned item for full price. Just to satisfy your self-involved curiosity.

They all have quality and reliability. You can do competent research online. To find which one fits your expectations.

I said a real techie owns several GPS receivers of different makes and models.

I did get a kick out of a British guy sticking up for the French. Typical of the French, letting someone else fight their battles for them. When I am looking at brands I consider points like those, so I wouldn't call them unnecessary, and as far as offensive goes, well nothing hurts like the truth.

The French didn't ask me to fight any battles for them. It is stupid to bring politics into something as simple as Geocaching isn't it? :D

Yeah, they didn't ask you for help, but you sure jumped right in anyway didn't you?

I am not bringing politics into Geocaching. We are talking about purchasing a product, and when I do that I consider where it comes from. Being from the US, if I can purchase a comparable product from a US company over a foriegn one I try to do that. I want to support companies in my own country.

Maybe if you are going to suggest that someone is stupid you should think before you type. <_<

I was told that the magellan had a quad helix antenna, and that it picks up better in different types of circumstances. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Garmin uses both Quad Helix and Patch depending on the model and I would not be surprised if Magellan was the same. Yes the Quad is quite a bit more sensitive. At least in the models I have used.

It is my money and I will waste it how I see fit. You can waste yours anyway you want.

The catalog return outlet of Bass Pro Shops in Spring Field MO is filled with returned Magellan GPSR units, software etc. In all my vists I have never seen any garmin gpsr gear. I was looking for deals and they clerk said they just don't get Garmin stuff returned very much.

Having worked as a GPS buyer for a retailer for many many years we were selling GPSr durring the first gulf war, Most of our returns where Garmin. Quite a few returns were from people who had no idea how to use the GPS when they got it home and did not want to bother reading the directions, and store managers being what managers are in retail, they would just take them back. on more than one occasion if I thought a person was going to have a problem using a GPS I would talk them out of buying one.

Because there's a lot more people who own them. If Magellan had 50% of the GPSr market share, they'd get 70% problems.

Since they only have maybe about 10% of the market, they only get 14% of the complaints. :(

Market share has nothing to with quality, Marker share is only a reflection of the marketing dept. of any company. In the real world (Non geocahing world) most GPS purchases are made by first time buyers and most of those sales are gift purchases durring the christmass seasons.

Although I have only used Garmin products I did have a revealing adventure yesterday. I hooked up with two other cachers that were both using Magellan GPS 315 units. Over a period of several hours I watched them do the drunken bee dance while trying to get a good lock under tree cover. On several occasions they walked a considerable distance in the wrong direction while my Garmin GEKO 201 showed precise direction and distance (I know it was my cache they were searching for). Based on this experience I would avoid the 315 unless it was for use in deserts or on open water.

Six months of use, several drops and numerous charges of the batteries and no problems yet with my 201.

BTW love bons Magellan = Lost analogy! :unsure:

MC

I am trying to decide between 60cs and Meridian colour.

And was wondering if the Extra Mem. slot and 3-axis compass are essential?

and if so...what do you use them for?

Thanks!! :unsure:

The Meridian Color is pretty good, but it has only a 160x120 pixel color screen.

The Meridian Platinum is a good unit with a 3-axis compass.

The 60C seems to be a pretty good unit overall except for only having 56 megs memory, but it works better than the Meridian Platinum I had. I avoided the 60CS, since I didnt want the sensors, since I already have a Map 76S.

Although I have only used Garmin products I did have a revealing adventure yesterday. I hooked up with two other cachers that were both using Magellan GPS 315 units. Over a period of several hours I watched them do the drunken bee dance while trying to get a good lock under tree cover. On several occasions they walked a considerable distance in the wrong direction while my Garmin GEKO 201 showed precise direction and distance (I know it was my cache they were searching for). Based on this experience I would avoid the 315 unless it was for use in deserts or on open water.

I had the Magellan GPS315, and with the GPS loaded with Version 3.15, it was a very good GPS, and led me to the caches ok, but of course it didnt have mapping.

Although I have only used Garmin products I did have a revealing adventure yesterday.  I hooked up with two other cachers that were both using Magellan GPS 315 units.  Over a period of several hours I watched them do the drunken bee dance while trying to get a good lock under tree cover.  On several occasions they walked a considerable distance in the wrong direction while my Garmin GEKO 201 showed  precise direction and distance (I know it was my cache they were searching for).  Based on this experience I would avoid the 315 unless it was for use in deserts or on open water.

I had the Magellan GPS315, and with the GPS loaded with Version 3.15, it was a very good GPS, and led me to the caches ok, but of course it didnt have mapping.

The 315 behaves allot nicer with software version 3.15. Before that you had to walk 2-2.5 mph before it broke out of the averaging feature, with the newest version it is down to .5 miles (same as the meridian and sportracks).

Wyatt W.

Edited by phantom4099
Although I have only used Garmin products I did have a revealing adventure yesterday.  I hooked up with two other cachers that were both using Magellan GPS 315 units.  Over a period of several hours I watched them do the drunken bee dance while trying to get a good lock under tree cover.  On several occasions they walked a considerable distance in the wrong direction while my Garmin GEKO 201 showed  precise direction and distance (I know it was my cache they were searching for).  Based on this experience I would avoid the 315 unless it was for use in deserts or on open water.

The 315 behaves allot nicer with software version 3.15. Before that you had to walk 2-2.5 mph before it broke out of the averaging feature, with the newest version it is down to .5 miles (same as the meridian and sportracks).

Wyatt W.

Ouch! That is a tough speed to maintain in thick underbrush or while bouldering.

:bad:

MC

I am trying to decide between 60cs and Meridian colour.

And was wondering if the Extra Mem. slot and 3-axis compass are essential?

and if so...what do you use them for?

Thanks!! :rolleyes:

The Meridian Color is pretty good, but it has only a 160x120 pixel color screen.

The Meridian Platinum is a good unit with a 3-axis compass.

The 60C seems to be a pretty good unit overall except for only having 56 megs memory, but it works better than the Meridian Platinum I had. I avoided the 60CS, since I didnt want the sensors, since I already have a Map 76S.

So do you use the 3rd axis in the compass quite often...or is it just a bonus when using it. And will I be exceeding the 56Mb and having to dump some info before adding more...or should I just be looking for something with more mem.?

Being from the US, if I can purchase a comparable product from a US company over a foriegn one I try to do that.  I want to support companies in my own country.

Aren't you forgetting that Garmin hardware is made in Taiwan? On the other hand, while Thales owns Magellan, I believe that Magellan R&D is still in California. Maybe this increases the sales of US products in Europe.

Personally, I own a Meridian GPS, a Foretrex 201, and a Forerunner 201. Each has its advantages and disadvantages.

Edited by gglockner

I actually timed my GPS V and my Meridian; the Meridian ALWAYS warned me first that a lock was lost.

It couldnt possibly be that was because the 'gellin actually DID lose signal first, could it????

What I like about the Platinum, was that i could turn ON the LOST OF SIGNAL alarm, and I did occationally get the alarm in the woods. I think that the way I held the GPS, and listened for the alarm, the GPS worked better than my garmins, at times.

I'd love to get a 60C, but not until Garmin adds an SD slot. For that kind of money, the memory should be expandable.

tm

going OT, but if this gets lock thats fine by me :blink:

Is it true that magellan has a patent on putting SD cards in gps? / under the batteries/ or some such like that?

I have owned and or tested all of the current popular models!

What I like about magellan meridians

1.expandable memory to 512 Mb

2.can load the whole country streets maps for $89

3. they work great under tree cover which is a big deal because most caches in the USA are in the woods!

4. Can load 1000's of waypoints!

What I like about Garmin etrex's

1.They really do work better in canyons!

What I dislike about Garmin Etrex's

1.Poor reception under tree cover!

2. The display is too small

3.Memory is not expandable

What I like about the Garmin 60 cs:

1.The display is the best I've seen!

What I dislike about the Garmin 60cs

1.The memory is NOT expandable

2.The display is not recessed,so it can scratch easily!

3. The battery compartment is down right cheap!batteries become loose easily

Look at my stats,I've done alot of caching all over the country!

Edited by graldrich
Is it true that magellan has a patent on putting SD cards in gps? / under the batteries/ or some such like that?

There's been a lot of speculation about this. In another thread someone emailed Garmin. Their response was that it was not cost effective and they alluded that there wasn't enough interest.

Lawrence uses an SD. It's not in the same location. It's also not water proof.

...I actually timed my GPS V and my Meridian; the Meridian ALWAYS warned me first that a lock was lost...

Magellans can be set to warn you immediatly upon losing lock or to delay and guestimate your postion by whatever algorythems they use.

The Sport Track Pro by defualt uses the guestimate option. Perhaps your GPS doesn't. Regardless this is something Magellans do, or can be set to do depending on defaults.

As for the Boomerange effect. It's real. I don't know exactly what it is that causes it. I can honestly say the few times I've used Night Stalkes Sport Track Pro I've not had the issue. However he did all the time (before upgradeing to a 60CS). I think you can compensate for it, and some caching styles probably don't lend themselves to the effect.

God I love these posts that feature Garmin vs. Magellan arguments. On a smaller scale, it reminds me of the ole Ford vs. Chevy arguments. The fact is there are loyal owners on both sides. One thing I have noticed however is that Magellan owners get more and more agitated as the discussions progress. This would seem to hold true with Chevy owners also.

It all depends on how patriotic you are.

My son lost 3 Garmins to combat damage in Iraq. They are not tough enough for ground combat. But in the year he was there, he never saw one magellan. Wanna know why???

Simple as math. Magellan = Thales = French.

We gave them enough support in WW-I. We gave lots more in WW-II. I won't give then another $0.05, even if my GPS-60 falls apart. If the french ever need help again, let them call the Germans. They know the way to Paris.

Who are you supporting? :(

Right On! The French only want people to go to war when the Germans are marching down the streets of Paris!

Captain, Ret.

Canadian Forces Air Force Reserve

Generalized Review:

Lots of Sloppyness, and mistakes when developing the Hardware and Firmware of GPS units. I have seen alot of problems of both hardware and firmware issues in both the Major brands of hand held GPS units. I have owned many GPS units of both Brands of GPS.

-----------------------

Tips:

Buy a GPS with horizontally placed batteries, and not virtically oriented, when holding in your hand.(Meridians and 76 series)

Write down the Trip Time and Distance of each segment of your travels. If it is a Meridian first write down the the Trip info, then save to SD memory card, then clear the tracklog for the next segment of your travel or caching. Reason being, is that the Magellans create one long messy tracklog, for a whole day's driving and caching.

Buy a GPS that could withstand accidental abuse like dropping on a rough hard surface. Rough use of the GPS can and will compromize the waterproofness of the GPS unit.

-------------------------

For a Garmin, I would recomend a 76C over any other, because of it's memory, and a good basemap, and you can wedge it between your dashboard and the windshield of your vehicle in a pinch, whereas, you cannot do this with a 60C. With all the experience and many Magellans and Garmins ive had the 76C would be the best one. Also the 76C does not gobble up tracklog points like the 76CS.

For a Magellan, the best unit may be a meridian Gold, for there have been complaints about the electronic compass and color screens of the other Meridians that eat batteries like crazy plus other issues with them.