Garminz

I dont know where Your #'s come from.

But if flooding the market with sub-standard products justifies the end?

dont get me wrong Garmin Makes dadgum good Sonar, So why make something for the masses if there are so many issues?

Other Companies were started and still are stedfast on navigation related items only.

Mitsubishi HI. makes a great car, how ever they also made the ZERO!

Ugh flame bait... and i'll take the bait.

I don't know where you get your "sub standard" quality judgement from. I've owned a GPSMAP 76S for a year and a half now and have had no problems with it whatsoever. It's gone kayaking, hiking, geocaching, backpacking, cross country driving, etc. and has worked great the whole time. I love this GPSr, and wouldn't hesitate at all to buy another Garmin one when I decide I want something newer.

(and to further the argument, didn't magellan have that tiny problem with 'stress cracks'??? i'm not saying all magellan receivers suck, but they have their own share of problems. all manufacturers have defects. to me the true measure of how good a company rates is not based on whether they have defects or not, but it's how they handle the problems when they do arise).

Since you're obviously a Magellen fan, could you answer me one question that has been burning inside of me all these years?

"Why did they name their company after someone who was constantly lost and never did reach his planned destination?"

I am a fan and Addict of technology and all information.

The Unit I own, I selected from research.

I Post not for A "FLAME" but the Answers to put the FLAME OUT!

I dont think he was lost .... He proved a POINT!

Edited by Magellin

The answers is that this section traditionally has a roughly even spattering of Garmin and Mag "problem" threads. The Magellan Sporttrack and the Garmin joystick seem to be the most two common problems. Garmin seems to get the most kudos, usually for their technical support and their low-end market.

Unfortunately, you don't seem to be noticing this. Just like you seem to have missed that other people own Garmins based on their own research.

And yes, Magellen was definately lost, was losing crew, and eventually sent his ships in different directions in the hopes that one of them would make it back to Spain. I've never understood the irony of Magellen naming themselves after him anymore than I've understood the irony of leatherman naming himself after a tool.

Edited by bons

What if somebody had all the different types of GPS units lined up on the tailgate of their truck for a photo shoot, then forgot about them and drove off, and they all fall off the truck at 40mph.

If you were to keep 2 of them which ones would you keep, and throw the rest in a box?

I would keep the GPS V, and a Meridian Platinum.

------------------------------------------------------------------

The eTrexes are poorly made, where the insides can get twisted around and the connections become loose, which happened to my vista. My GPS V has suffered several collisions with the ground and floor of the car, but still works like new.

My 3 worst GPS units:

eTrex Vista, Magellan 4000XL, and Magellan ColorTrak

My 2 best GPS units:

GPS V, and Meridian Platinum

It all depends on how patriotic you are.

My son lost 3 Garmins to combat damage in Iraq. They are not tough enough for ground combat. But in the year he was there, he never saw one magellan. Wanna know why???

Simple as math. Magellan = Thales = French.

We gave them enough support in WW-I. We gave lots more in WW-II. I won't give then another $0.05, even if my GPS-60 falls apart. If the french ever need help again, let them call the Germans. They know the way to Paris.

Who are you supporting? :lol:

It all depends on how patriotic you are.

My son lost 3 Garmins to combat damage in Iraq. They are not tough enough for ground combat. But in the year he was there, he never saw one magellan. Wanna know why???

Simple as math. Magellan = Thales = French.

We gave them enough support in WW-I. We gave lots more in WW-II. I won't give then another $0.05, even if my GPS-60 falls apart. If the french ever need help again, let them call the Germans. They know the way to Paris.

Who are you supporting?

39197_5800.gif

39197_5600.gif

Questions in general will follow who's using their equipment. If they are all using the Brewski 2000 GPS the questions will all focus on that brand.

Magellan issues.

The boomerang effect.

The cracking case.

Slow refresh rate when using the rubberband map forcing low screen detail (sport track issue).

Garmin Issues.

Click Stick.

Rubber ring around the case.

Screen's don't like cold.

These are etrex issues.

Both seem to have good customer service based on the feedback in the forums.

Garmin shows signs of listening to it's customers when they came out with the 60 series.

Magellan Slam dunks. The 3 axil compass, Price/Performance, SD Cards

Garmin Slam dunks. Battery life, Performance, Higher Rez screens.

A couple of items are not really issues. the boomerange effect is by design, and I'm sure they had their reasons. It's just not handy for caching. The Garmin interface being easier is subjective but the evidence seems to point that way.

cut and paste from other topic (my step dad has a meri color and i took my brand new legend with him and mine was 2 feet closer then his (: (they both have waas on)

and my legend has a lil more stuff then his like calculater and fish and game stuff.

my step dad was like ????????UNFAIR??????)

i like garmin!!!!!

[edit]yes i cant spell[/edit]

Edited by nick_02

Magellan color=lasts only like 3 hrs on reg batts

garmin legend=lasts 15 hrs

Magellan color=takes 2 to 3 mint to pick up sats"tried every position"

garmin="get it in 30 secs from every position"

bad bout garmin=loss of signal under bridge or by big mountains on all sides

and poor case

bad bout Magellan= $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

and up above too

i say the garmin is best all round price,function,size etc

BUT i say the Magellan is better for mapping and stuff since it has the big screen color etc.

and the Magellan meri has upgradeable memory "i like that!!'

Edited by nick_02

My Meridian Platinum never had boomerang effect or compass probs, since I kept the WAAS turned OFF at all times, since WAAS made it sluggish. The GPS was the best performing cache seeking device i ever had, BUT now I have the 60C and love it. The Platinum was perfect, except for the resolution and Tracklog issues, and no Elasped Time for my Running, Jogging(I hated that).

I would like a Color Platinum with 180 by 240 pixel color Transflective screen, and a USB port just like the 60C.

The 76C/CS should have had a memory card, like the Meridians.

Edited by GOT GPS?
I dont know, and I'm not looking for a bashing.

But, Why is there so many questions and problems with Garmin Products?

They do make a great Fish finder BTW!

Because typically the questions you get in a forum of this nature after a purchase of of the support type. If there's a product that sells more then another, you will, assuming everything else is equal, the same percentage difference in questions, complaints, issues as the % difference in sales.

Maybe we can have a forum that says is nothing more then saying how you like your unit and I'd imagine you'd get a lot more posts on those that like their Garmin then those that like their Meridian for no other reason that there's a larger % of Garmin owners then Meridian owners.

I know at least in the times I've gone on group hunts, the vast majority of folks have Garmin units. I don't think I've ever gone on a hunt with multiple people and the number of Meridian's outnumbered the number of Garmin units.

So if you truly wanted to know why the numbers are what they are, that's the reason. If you wanted to somehow put down Garmin, well, you no response is appropriate for that reason.

I bought a Magellan SporTrak Map in JAn., 2003. It has benn fairly problem free. I do have a couple of hairline cracks, but it still appears to be waterproof. I say this because once I was attempting to jump across a creek without slipping and my Dell neckstrap disconnected which dropped the GPSr in the water. It really does float!

I have had a problem 3-4 times achieving Satt. lock and having it tell me I'm further away from the cache than I actually am. It does functiom well under tree cover though.

I'm anxiously awaiting my Garmin GPSMAP 60CS. I went out with a group of 0 local cachers; there were 4 60CS's, 1 SporTrak, 1 Meridian, 2 GPS V's, and 1 Etrex. Everyone I have talked to loves the 60CS.

Does anyone know if the 60CS floats?

It is my money and I will waste it how I see fit. You can waste yours anyway you want.

The catalog return outlet of Bass Pro Shops in Spring Field MO is filled with returned Magellan GPSR units, software etc. In all my vists I have never seen any garmin gpsr gear. I was looking for deals and they clerk said they just don't get Garmin stuff returned very much.

I bought a magellan Map 300, no colour, simple.

I have had no problems with it, in cloud, rain, on water and on land. It fell in the water and floated. I have dropped it, sat on it and it still serves me well. I have not failed to find a cache yet.

I am not French, I'm British but still find the jibe about the French offensive and unnecessary. I saw a Discovery programme the other day, about the 1st Gulf war and the GPS the SAS were using looked suspiciously like a Magellan. :blink:

I still think that skill comes into this sport a lot, and if you use your equipment right, any GPS will serve you well. Many a lost cache has been blamed on equipment failure, a bad workman always blames his tools! :lol:

The catalog return outlet of Bass Pro Shops in Spring Field MO is filled with returned Magellan GPSR units, software etc. In all my vists I have never seen any garmin gpsr gear. I was looking for deals and they clerk said they just don't get Garmin stuff returned very much.

I see the opposite in the Pawn shop arena. I'm an avid pawn shopper. I see alot of merchandise that is "thrown away". I use that term 'cause the money you get for a pawned item is like throwing it away. If you really wanted a descent return on your money you would auction it. Rather than pawn it.

I have only seen one Meridian basic since they have been out. I see some older Magellans, 310's 315's.

I see countless Etrex's, GPS III's, Street Pilots. There isn't one Pawn shop that I can think of that doesn't have a Garmin that was "thrown away" currently on it's inventory.

This is an old debate, and I think that you are all missing a very important point. I hear about problems with Garmin and Magellan units all the time, but I never hear about any problems with Lowrance, ergo they are obviously the best! I have one that I have never had a single problem with, and it performs exactly according to specs all the time. Never mind that it sits in the closet all the time because I use my garmins instead, and never mind that it's the only one I have ever touched because they are all built the same, so I don't have to test thousands of units to get an unbiased view.

I did get a kick out of a British guy sticking up for the French. Typical of the French, letting someone else fight their battles for them. When I am looking at brands I consider points like those, so I wouldn't call them unnecessary, and as far as offensive goes, well nothing hurts like the truth.

What is the 'boomerang' issue?? :blink:

The boomerang effect is because of how the Magellans average your position. Often people using magellans overshoot the destination and have to circle back like a boomerang.

Magellans also don't report lost satelite signals as fast as the Garmins they average your position based on your direction and speed and continue to report a good signal. The Garmins generally report to you as soon as they loose the signal. Because of this some people think the magellans hold a lock better. This doesn't mean that either one is better, its just how they do it. Personally I'd rather be told when I'm not getting a good signal than to have the unit quessing at my position.

When looking for software they are more options for Garmins than for Magellans. One of the reasons I recently purchased a fortrex is because it works with RoboGeo. Magellans tracks can be converted and imported but RoboGeo can read directly from the Garmin. RoboGeo can take a GPS track and location stamp your photographs. RoboGeo is the only reasonably priced program I could find that would do this.

If Garmin could do a 3 axis compass and a SD slot they could cancel 2 of the biggest advantages of the Magellans.

My first GPS was a Magellan, and a not too bad unit. I did some research for my second and current unit, and went with the Gamin e-trex. I have to say that my only complaint with the magellan, was that when I lost my sat lock, the magellan took longer to realize that than my current Garmin unit. Of course the garmin is much newer than the magellan was, so you might chock that up to updated technology. I am also in the market for another GPS and some friends tell me to get the Magellan Meridian Gold, but I am leaning toward another Garmin. Just developed a fondness for Garmin I guess. They were and are much better in my opinion, at dealing with problems I may have much quicker than magellan ever was.

I see the opposite in the Pawn shop arena. I'm an avid pawn shopper. I see alot of merchandise that is "thrown away". I use that term 'cause the money you get for a pawned item is like throwing it away. If you really wanted a descent return on your money you would auction it. Rather than pawn it.

I have only seen one Meridian basic since they have been out. I see some older Magellans, 310's 315's.

I see countless Etrex's, GPS III's, Street Pilots. There isn't one Pawn shop that I can think of that doesn't have a Garmin that was "thrown away" currently on it's inventory.

I think you probably see more in the pawn shops, because there are more garmins in circulation. The e-trex line is very popular because of its low price and relatively good track record. Hense more on the market, more in the pawn shops and for sale on e-bay etc, when people upgrade to newer models. The question is, when people upgrade, do they purchase the same brand

I'm anxiously awaiting my Garmin GPSMAP 60CS. I went out with a group of 0 local cachers; there were 4 60CS's, 1 SporTrak, 1 Meridian, 2 GPS V's, and 1 Etrex. Everyone I have talked to loves the 60CS.

Does anyone know if the 60CS floats?

Let me know how your 60cs works, I am looking at that same model

Okay, With all that chit-chat stated above, and myself looking for my FIRST GPS unit, I would be leaning towards a Garmin. I am not gong to pump out the cash for the 60cs. I have been using an etrex vista and have been happy with it, but I was told that the sportrak holds the sat better. Reading here makes me believe that it isn't the case, that it just doesnt report as quickly. I think I would rather be told when I was wandering about aimlessly without a signal rather than thinking I was right on target. So, anymore comments for me before I spent the $$ on a unit, I would appreeciate it. If some one can convince me that it is worth the extra $$ for any particular unit, I might lean that way. Thanks...

I think you probably see more in the pawn shops, because there are more garmins in circulation. The e-trex line is very popular because of its low price and relatively good track record. Hense more on the market, more in the pawn shops and for sale on e-bay etc, when people upgrade to newer models.

That's a ridiculous assumption.

If you payed attention here in the forums or even in your local area you would know that the market is nearly 50/50.

The Sport trak line is just as affordable as the eTrex line. Costco sold pallets of Sport traks and Meridians for the last couple of years.

Your theory doesn't explain why there are Street Pilots in the Pawn shops.

Hi! I'm a newbie cacher, and I just bought my first GPS yesterday. Since then I've done 5 caches... Anyway, I don't mean to fuel the war on Magellan vs. Garmin, but I'll tell you what happened to me:

I first went to the store, after doing enough research online to figure out which unit I wanted (Garmin Legend). Without ANY previous knowledge about GPS (and hardly even knowing how they worked, just simply wanting to go on the hunt for caches), I got the impression that Garmins were the more user-friendly, functional units on the market.

When we got to the store, they were out of Legends, but instead had a Garmin Rino... which I thought was pretty cool with a radio and all, so I bought that one. After using it during an hour drive to another city (and getting lost!), I decided I definitely needed a GPS with a built in basemap.

I took my Rino back to the store to exchange for something with a basemap system. My only option in the price range was a Magellan Sport Trak. We went on our first cache hunt with this Sport Trak, and before I got out of the car I knew I was ready to take it back to the store.

First of all, I hated the way it looked. It looks too professional for me. I like the bright yellow of the Rino better. I know looks are nothing, but it was simply the first thing I noticed that I didn't like.

The Magellan was just too technical for me. When I first started playing with the Rino, I took it out of the box and immediately figured out most every feature without even cracking open the owners manual. With the Magellan, I had to read the owners manual just to figure out which buttons did what.

Then, while out on the cache, I got great reception from all the satellites... too bad they told me I was in China!!! Standing in Michigan, I was being given coordinates and maps from the other side of the world. I turned it off, then on again and again, but I was still in China. I was frustrated enough with it to mess aroud any more.

I got back in the car, back to the store, and got my Rino back. I've grown to like it now, basemaps or not. I won't ever try a Magellan again!

Freq_03

I have had a 315 since June of 2000, a Magellan 330 for a few months in 2001 which I sold when I bought my Meridian Gold when they first came out in October 2001. I traded my Meridian gold for a Meridian platinum last march, and bought my GPS V (mostly for the routing-this was before Mapsend Direct route) this October.

In all the years that I owned a Magellan I only had a couple of instances where I would have the 'boomerang affect" (and I use my GPSr pretty much on a daily basis).

When I had to use Magellan’s service I had a positive experience with it and they were fast on the turn around.

If a friend asked me to recommend a GPS unit I would have no problem what so ever recommending a Magellan unit to them. I would also have no problem buying another of their units in the future.

Magellans also don't report lost satelite signals as fast as the Garmins they average your position based on your direction and speed and continue to report a good signal. The Garmins generally report to you as soon as they loose the signal. Because of this some people think the magellans hold a lock better. This doesn't mean that either one is better, its just how they do it. Personally I'd rather be told when I'm not getting a good signal than to have the unit quessing at my position.

I actually timed my GPS V and my Meridian; the Meridian ALWAYS warned me first that a lock was lost.

When looking for software they are more options for Garmins than for Magellans. One of the reasons I recently purchased a fortrex is because it works with RoboGeo. Magellans tracks can be converted and imported but RoboGeo can read directly from the Garmin. RoboGeo can take a GPS track and location stamp your photographs. RoboGeo is the only reasonably priced program I could find that would do this.

I think Quakemap does this.

Wyatt W.

There is just so much bad infromation in this thread I can't possible correct it all.

There is just so much bad infromation in this thread I can't possible correct it all.

After the way this thread was started you were looking for good information?

The people with good information are three threads over ignore this snipefest.

Even with WAAS turned OFF, my GPS V was very slow, I think upwards of about 10 to 15 seconds delay on anything, Including loss of LOCK. The GPS V came out in 2001, so you know that it had to have parts from before that time, because it takes time to Design a GPS, and find the Parts and test it as a whole. I think this may put Garmin or Magellan a bit behind, because it is not easy to Design, and Manufacture a GPS with Just created faster chips, and have it out immediatly. What gets me after all these years of having Magellans, is the lack of a good Trip computer in the Meridians with an Elasped Timer, also the Tracklogs ive done on the Platinum were real messy without the Segmentation that you have on Garmins. That creates a single tangle of Tracklog between all the places you use the Magellan.

I chose a GPS 60C and not the 60CS, with all my experience, that is the best one for me.

I think you probably see more in the pawn shops, because there are more garmins in circulation.  The e-trex line is very popular because of its low price and relatively good track record.  Hense more on the market, more in the pawn shops and for sale on e-bay etc, when people upgrade to newer models.

That's a ridiculous assumption.

If you payed attention here in the forums or even in your local area you would know that the market is nearly 50/50.

The Sport trak line is just as affordable as the eTrex line. Costco sold pallets of Sport traks and Meridians for the last couple of years.

Does any one have any numbers of garmin vs. magellan sales?

Both companies make good units. Both have features that the other one doesn't have. Both work better under certain conditions than the other one. Its pointless to argue about how many are in pawn shops and draw conclusions based on that.

The problem I have with the sportraks is the lack of current maps and the fact that Magellan has no plans to update the maps.

When I look around at the cachers that I've met, I haven't seen a magellan yet.

The problem I have with the sportraks is the lack of current maps and the fact that Magellan has no plans to update the maps.

Not sure what you mean, Mapsend Direct Route is new and it uses Navtech data, just like Garmin and every other in car navigation system. They also said the plan to release a new version each year (it is on their FAQ on their site).

Wyatt W.

edit: capitlization of Mapsend Direct

Edited by phantom4099

Guelph Tvguy Posted on May 23 2004, 08:38 PM

The question is, when people upgrade, do they purchase the same brand

I would be they do. I don't have any empyrical evidence to support this claim, but I know for me, It was a matter of software. i already had Garmin Mapsource software, so I did not want to have to start over from scratch.

(and to further the argument, didn't magellan have that tiny problem with 'stress cracks'??? i'm not saying all magellan receivers suck, but they have their own share of problems. all manufacturers have defects. to me the true measure of how good a company rates is not based on whether they have defects or not, but it's how they handle the problems when they do arise).

Granted, Magellan has had some problems with "stress cracks" but they had A-1 customer service when I sent mine in for repair. It was repaired and returned to me in less than a week and even though it only cost me $8 to ship it to them, the return shipment included $50+ of very useful goodies in the box. Needless to say I'm one very happy customer and wish that all of my customer service experiences could be 1/2 as pleasent. B)

Not sure what you mean, Mapsend Direct Route is new and it uses Navtech data, just like Garmin and every other in car navigation system. They also said the plan to release a new version each year (it is on their FAQ on their site).

Wyatt W.

edit: capitlization of Mapsend Direct

I was under the understanding that direct route does not work on the sportraks. I may be wrong but I thought I had read where someone in this forum was complaining that Magellan told them that direct route didn't work and their was no plan to upgrade the maps that he had because that company no longer exists.

If I'm wrong I will gladly admit it.

I did get a kick out of a British guy sticking up for the French. Typical of the French, letting someone else fight their battles for them. When I am looking at brands I consider points like those, so I wouldn't call them unnecessary, and as far as offensive goes, well nothing hurts like the truth.

The French didn't ask me to fight any battles for them. It is stupid to bring politics into something as simple as Geocaching isn't it? B)

I was under the understanding that direct route does not work on the sportraks. I may be wrong but I thought I had read where someone in

By strict trademark definition, that's correct. But it's correct in the same sense that you could be correct saying something about "etrex" - the company used that term for a whole family of units.

DirectRoute works on SporTrak Map Pro and SporTrak Color. It does not work on the unit called "SporTrak" since that isn't even a map-capable unit. It allegedly works, but isn't supported, on SporTrak Map.

Yep.