Geocaching Trading Cards

Guest easom1

Guest easom1

I am going to start putting some computer printed Geocaching trading cards in each of my caches. Each card could have a picture, the elevation, the coordinates, the distance from nearby cities or landmarks, and info on the area. I would love to hear that others would do this also as I would love to start a collection of cards from all the caches I visit. One thing I dont know for sure is what size the card should be. I dont want to make it to small or to large. Any ideas will be welcome. easom eek.gif

Guest Anton

Great idea - here come the collectors!

I can see it now... In a year or two there will be bidding wars on eBay over rare geocache cards! There will be clubs for people to trade their cards. Many of them won't even own a GPS.

Then a couple of astute cache card dealers will uncover a counterfeit card operation in Asia. Once again, Jeremy will be the focus of a new round of media attention.

There will be a second and then a third wave of newbie geocachers buying the lastest GPS model on the market, and asking questions about what to put in a cache. Then they'll complain about the lack of interesting prizes in their first two cache finds, and begin philosophizing about hide/find ratios.

Eventually, Garmin and Magellan will catch on to the cachecard collector phenomena, and begin regularly announcing "special edition" commemorative units, along with their own official collector cards for each GPS model.

When Burger King starts giving away Happy Caches, I start a new sport called Zen Boxes. Cross your legs, close your eyes, clear your mind, imagine a forest, imagine a cache, go to it - in spirit. The motto for ZBing will be: "Don't just do something. Sit there!"

Ohmmm...

Anton, 7H/3F

------------------

Anton Ninno - N2RUD

Syracuse, NY 13210

[This message has been edited by Anton (edited 17 May 2001).]

Guest Geogoat

Is there a trading card size template such as there are for business cards or various types of labels in any of the word processer programs? Maybe a business card size would be good enough. There are all kinds of holders and such for business cards.

Guest Ron Streeter

You could of course do a custom size (baseball trading card size) in a word processor, but the chief advantage of doing them as business card size would be the easy availabilty of business card "paper" already pre-perfed.

That way you can print a dozen or so at a time; otherwise with custom sizing, you might be feeding individual pieces of paper, or cutting paper with scissors.

There are also card stock "postcard" preperfs available...I guess they would be 3 x 5 size.

I have actually already done some biz cards and used the Groundspeak/geocache logo. Just has my name, email address and logo. I put them in caches I find.

I recently saw the logo nicely taped to the side of an ammo box with transparent packing tape wrapped all around the box.

Guest Moss Trooper

In my cache ( only got the one so far because of Foot & Mouth here in UK ) I have put what I call a mini-map. It is a section of map covering about 12 sq Km, and laminated and is about the size of a credit card. icon_smile.gif

I like the idea of what you call Baseball cards.. If some one could give me the actual size.. it would give me something to work on.

Cheers Moss

[This message has been edited by Moss Trooper (edited 18 May 2001).]

Guest Moss Trooper

In my cache ( only got the one so far because of Foot & Mouth here in UK ) I have put what I call a mini-map. It is a section of map covering about 12 sq Km, and laminated and is about the size of a credit card. icon_smile.gif

I like the idea of what you call Baseball cards.. If some one could give me the actual size.. it would give me something to work on.

Cheers Moss

[This message has been edited by Moss Trooper (edited 18 May 2001).]

Guest barefoot

Beanie Babies for an example -- you're telling me that a silly, stitched rainbow bear can really be worth thousands of dollars? Come on. I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but a goofy stuffed bear? Our cache cards will undoubtably be a hit...at least amongst us.

Here's to climbing through irritating bushes and looking in rotted stumps for others people's discarded junk! To geocaching! HUZZAH!

Guest Cape Cod Cache

I made up some business size cards for caching, has my 'cache name' cache e-mail addy and I will write a comment on the back. I use an ink jet printer, but I spray them with clear laquer, as I do with all cache notes. Baseball card size ? Hmmmm... Perhaps Nomar or Pedro will put a cache out ! Go SOX! summer is here, cache on Cape, I'd be happy to baby sit for you.

Guest Markwell

Trading cards are fine, except my first cache is a micro-cache (actual 35mm canister). A trading card would have to be the size of a chad from a three-hole punch!

Guest Monz

Hey Moss "Newcky Brown" is ok when you cant get the good stuff I suppose...

I sup "roger and out" at the frog and parrot in sheffield... now that is good beer and its in the guiness book of records as the strongest hand pulled beer in the world

By eck thats bloody good tackle thah nos

[This message has been edited by Monz (edited 21 May 2001).]

Guest Moun10Bike

quote:
Originally posted by cache_ninja:

if you minted a coin it would fit.

i looked into this awhile ago, but its too expensive...

I'm interested in doing this -- who did you contact and what were the prices quote for getting coins made? Are there any online business that do this?

[This message has been edited by Moun10Bike (edited 21 May 2001).]

Guest Spydie

Oh,man!! Too much! I love it!

-Spydie

quote:
Originally posted by Anton:

Great idea - here come the collectors!

I can see it now... In a year or two there will be bidding wars on eBay over rare (snipped for space) When Burger King starts giving away Happy Caches, I start a new sport called Zen Boxes. Cross your legs, close your eyes, clear your mind, imagine a forest, imagine a cache, go to it - in spirit. The motto for ZBing will be: "Don't just do something. Sit there!"

Ohmmm...

Anton, 7H/3F

------------------

The mind opens by choice,not chance.-Rev.Dr. Spyder X

Guest Patty-G

FANTASTIC IDEA ! ! ! icon_wink.gif

People, including myself, love cards. I am including self-addressed, stamped post cards (From California). I know, a bit old fashioned but nice for a Scrap Book.

I already have some made up to put in the Caches that a friend and I plan to set out in June. Hope to find a few caches in New England.

Keep the good ideas flowing..

Guest Patty-G

FANTASTIC IDEA ! ! ! icon_wink.gif

People, including myself, love cards. I am including self-addressed, stamped post cards (From California). I know, a bit old fashioned but nice for a Scrap Book.

I already have some made up to put in the Caches that a friend and I plan to set out in June. Hope to find a few caches in New England.

Keep the good ideas flowing..

Guest Julian

Anyone remember a fad from a few years back called POGS? [They were cardboard discs imprinted with various different logos, cartoon characters, etc. and kids collected and traded them.]

I'm thinking that if some company makes blank pre-punched cardstock sheets that can run through a printer, there could be "GEOPOGS" with a cache creators logo or emblem, and the Cache location.

I don't know if this would be easier or harder than the Trading Card idea. Someone posted about getting coins minted, but said it was really expensive. This would sort of be "cardboard coins".

Guest JasonW

quote:
Originally posted by Monz:

Don't recognise the name icon_wink.gif

Anyway - the Best Beer brewed locally almost certainly is brewed by Mordues and depending on the weather (you need to drink beer appropriate to the weather) is "Workie Ticket", "Geordie Pride" or "Radgie Gadgie"

quote:
I sup "roger and out" at the frog and parrot in sheffield...

I thought most of the locals referred to it the Toad & Budgie. A good pint of "Conqueror" can be had there for those that don't want to have a night they try to remember afterwards icon_smile.gif

[This message has been edited by JasonW (edited 26 May 2001).]

Guest JasonW

quote:
Originally posted by Monz:

Don't recognise the name icon_wink.gif

Anyway - the Best Beer brewed locally almost certainly is brewed by Mordues and depending on the weather (you need to drink beer appropriate to the weather) is "Workie Ticket", "Geordie Pride" or "Radgie Gadgie"

quote:
I sup "roger and out" at the frog and parrot in sheffield...

I thought most of the locals referred to it the Toad & Budgie. A good pint of "Conqueror" can be had there for those that don't want to have a night they try to remember afterwards icon_smile.gif

[This message has been edited by JasonW (edited 26 May 2001).]

Guest gnbrotz

I printed up a few business cards with the logo and some basic info to hand out to friends and leave on public bulletin boards, sporting goods stores, etc. You can see a scan of the card at:

www.innernet.net/gnbrotz/cachecard.jpg

PS - I did obtain permission from Jeremy before using images/text from the Geocaching website.

------------------

Greg

N39°54.705'

W077°33.137'

Guest Robereno
Originally posted by gnbrotz:

"I printed up a few business cards with the logo and some basic info to hand out to friends and leave on public bulletin boards, sporting goods stores, etc. You can see a scan of the card at:

www.innernet.net/gnbrotz/cachecard.jpg

Nicely done. Any chance you could post a template for the card, maybe in the Avery format. Perhaps it could be distributed on the web site like the notice about geocaching that we place in the caches.

Either way, it looks good!

Guest jeremy

I have the new 4 box geocaching logo in EPS format if anyone wants to use it for noncommercial use. Email me direct at jeremy@geocaching.com and I'll send you a copy.

Benefit of EPS over GIF or JPG is you can enlarge or shrink it and the graphic doesn't get ugly. It's a vector based image.

The size is also very, very small.

Vector images store graphics in mathematical forumulas so when you expand the image it adjusts and prints a perfect copy. That's a simple explanation, anyway icon_smile.gif

Jeremy

Guest jeremy

I have the new 4 box geocaching logo in EPS format if anyone wants to use it for noncommercial use. Email me direct at jeremy@geocaching.com and I'll send you a copy.

Benefit of EPS over GIF or JPG is you can enlarge or shrink it and the graphic doesn't get ugly. It's a vector based image.

The size is also very, very small.

Vector images store graphics in mathematical forumulas so when you expand the image it adjusts and prints a perfect copy. That's a simple explanation, anyway icon_smile.gif

Jeremy

Guest gnbrotz

Robereno, (and others) icon_smile.gif

Give this link a try:

www.innernet.net/gnbrotz/cachecard.dot

This template is for Avery business cards. For a personalized card to add to your caches, I suggest flipping the sheet over (before separating the cards) and printing your cache name and coordinates on the back. BTW...this is my first time posting a file for download by other users, so if there is a problem, please post or e-mail me directly at gnbrotz@innernet.net.

------------------

Greg

N39°54.705'

W077°33.137'

[This message has been edited by gnbrotz (edited 09 June 2001).]

Guest gnbrotz

Give this link a try:

This template is for Avery business cards. For a personalized card to add to your caches, I suggest flipping the sheet over (before separating the cards) and printing your cache name and coordinates on the back. BTW...this is my first time posting a file for download by other users, so if there is a problem, please post or e-mail me directly at gnbrotz@innernet.net.

------------------

Greg

N39°54.705'

W077°33.137'

[This message has been edited by gnbrotz (edited 09 June 2001).]

Guest Robereno

Wow, it worked perfectly. I first saved the site as cachecard.dot and just to be sure, right clicked on the link and saved it as cachecard.doc. Both worked. I use MSWord and the Avery ink jet business card package #8371 to print them out.

Thanks! icon_smile.gif

quote:

Give this link a try:

Guest Robereno

Wow, it worked perfectly. I first saved the site as cachecard.dot and just to be sure, right clicked on the link and saved it as cachecard.doc. Both worked. I use MSWord and the Avery ink jet business card package #8371 to print them out.

Thanks! icon_smile.gif

quote:

Give this link a try:

Guest gpsfun

Robereno, thanks for sharing. I used your design and added my name and e-mail address at the bottom of the cards. These are really handy to give to people who show an interest in Geocaching, as it gives them the URL for the Geocaching web site. Thanks again for sharing. -Brad

quote:
Originally posted by Robereno:

Wow, it worked perfectly. I first saved the site as cachecard.dot ...

[This message has been edited by gpsfun (edited 10 June 2001).]

Guest gnbrotz

Here is a photo of the card I have placed in my first cache.

www.innernet.net/gnbrotz/kidscache.jpg

I plan to continue this in each cache I place. It will give the finder a unique souvenir only available to others who find the cache.

------------------

Greg

N39°54.705'

W077°33.137'

[This message has been edited by gnbrotz (edited 17 June 2001).]

Guest Robereno

quote:

I plan to continue this in each cache I place. It will give the finder a unique souvenir only available to others who find the cache.

I like this idea. Unfortunately, my caches are pretty remote and I probably won?t visit them but twice a year. Getting back with the card and printed coordinates including photo is a little awkward for me. I may start leaving cards similar to yours only they would describe other caches I?ve placed. "Collect the intire series!"

Now, if I could just make some extra time to actually do this more. icon_frown.gif

Guest Robereno

quote:

I like this idea. Unfortunately, my caches are pretty remote and I probably won?t visit them but twice a year. Getting back with the card and printed coordinates including photo is a little awkward for me. I may start leaving cards similar to yours only they would describe other caches I?ve placed. "Collect the intire series!"

Now, if I could just make some extra time to actually do this more. icon_frown.gif

Guest crawdad

quote:

Here is a photo of the card I have placed in my first cache.

www.innernet.net/gnbrotz/kidscache.jpg

Cool card... i am new to the sport/hobbie.. in fact i am still deciding what GPS to buy.. but anyway.. this card is a great idea... a unique prize and proof of find for anyone that findsy YOUR cache... i am going to try to incorperate a similar card in my first cache... hope someone comes toward wichita kansas to find the cache.

Guest Robereno

quote:

Give this link a try:

For a personalized card to add to your caches, I suggest flipping the sheet over (before separating the cards) and printing your cache name and coordinates on the back.

OK, this is my first attempt at using your card template and shamelessly promoting my website on the back. I haven?t placed this cache yet so no coordinates though, I can see the spot where it will be from my house. Good grief, I should get off my ***, get off this computer and get out of the house!! (the cards at: http://www.creekbed.com/geocache/cards.htm )

Guest Robereno

quote:

Give this link a try:

For a personalized card to add to your caches, I suggest flipping the sheet over (before separating the cards) and printing your cache name and coordinates on the back.

OK, this is my first attempt at using your card template and shamelessly promoting my website on the back. I haven?t placed this cache yet so no coordinates though, I can see the spot where it will be from my house. Good grief, I should get off my ***, get off this computer and get out of the house!! (the cards at: http://www.creekbed.com/geocache/cards.htm )

Guest Hawk-eye

TRADING CARDS? Come on guys ... I just caught flak from the CEO (a.k.a. wife) for making up custom log books for my caches ... now I start this (great idea by the way)... she's going to have me committed! icon_biggrin.gif

Guest Hawk-eye

TRADING CARDS? Come on guys ... I just caught flak from the CEO (a.k.a. wife) for making up custom log books for my caches ... now I start this (great idea by the way)... she's going to have me committed! icon_biggrin.gif

Guest Robereno

quote:
Originally posted by Hawk-eye:

TRADING CARDS? Come on guys ... icon_biggrin.gif

Well, for me, I'm trying to re-live the year 1960 when I spent the summer wandering around with a cigar box full of baseball cards. Now if I could only make these new cards smell like stale bubblegum. icon_smile.gif