Gps And Disc Golf

jpick

Hello everyone.

I am fairly new to the geocaching thing, and have enjoyed it so far. However, this thread does not concern geocaching and the only reason that I started it here was there didn't seem to be any other place where it was appropriate. (If there is somewhere more appropriate for this post, feel free to move it.)

Although I am new to geocaching, there is another sport that I have been active in for quite some time, Disc Golf. If you are unsure what Disc golf is, it is essentially golf with a frisbee, and is similar to geocaching in a couple of ways; it is an activity that the entire family can enjoy together and disc golfers are as concerned about helping in the maintenance of community parks as geocachers appear to be.

Currently, the Professional Disc Golf Association (PDGA), established in 1975, maintains an online listing of all courses in the World, somewhere in the range of 1400 courses to date. This listing is referred to as the "Course Directory" and is also published as a booklet every 3 or 4 years. An update of this directory is currently in the works, and they are looking to add GPS coordinates for all of the courses currently listed and I have somehow become attached to this portion of the process.

You may be saying to yourself, "Hey that sounds great, but how can I help?" Well, as you can imagine, 1400 individual courses is a lot of waypoints to be collected, so I thought perhaps I could solicite a little bit of help from the geocaching community.

The vast majority of disc golf courses are located in public parks, much like most of the geocaches that I have persued in my short career. So, it seemed to me that perhaps the geocaching community could assist in the collection of this data, by simply taking a single waypoint for the first tee of a course when you are persuing a cache in a park that also facilitates disc golf. Considering the directions currently available for some of these courses, actually finding the first tee may be more difficult than finding your cache, so it would provide you with an additional challenge.

If this sounds like something that you may be interested in doing, please let me know. If enough folks are interested in assisting, I will post any additional information that may be appropriate.

If you are interested in finding out where some courses may be located in your area, check out the course listings at the PDGA website.

Thanks in advance for anyone willing to help.

Edited by jpick

Hey, now that is cool. You ask and you shall recieve I suppose. Unfortunately, there are only 479 courses logged so far, although I have 6 or 7 that I can add. Just about 1000 more to go. Perhaps this topic will alert others to this cache opportunity, so you will not only be upping your cache count but also help out the PDGA as well.

Oh and by the way, thanks for the infromation.