Changing Gps Units Registered To City Select

I had City Select v4.x that was purchased with a GPSMAP 196 and then my 76s was added.

Since then (and in this order)

* I sold my 76s

* purchased and installed the ($75) City Select v5 upgrade.

Now I wish to add my 76cs (hope it's here on Wed. 5/19) as one of my two available registered units for the City Select (essentially replace the 76s registration with the new 76cs unit ID).

What are the steps to replace the 76s with the 76cs in the City Select v5 registration/unlock?

Note: when I went through garmin's web page to get the new 25 character unlock code, it assumed 1st the 196 (which is still in the family). It never asked or assumed anything about the 76s, so I don't know if the 76s is registered for v5?? Anyway the point is, now I wish to add the 76CS, what do I do (once I receive the unit)??

Now I wish to add my 76cs (hope it's here on Wed. 5/19) as one of my two available registered units for the City Select (essentially replace the 76s registration with the new 76cs unit ID).

What are the steps to replace the 76s with the 76cs in the City Select v5 registration/unlock?

My understanding is you can't... :D

Garmin dont ever assume thats its users upgrade or replace a unit - if you do get a new unit, Garmin seems to assume you buy a new unit inwhich another copy of a Mapsource product is included... hence they have no way of doing what you ask for free - Garmin FAQ says " As long as you have only obtained one unlock code per original coupon code, then simply follow the same procedure a second time. If you have already used your unlock code twice, please go through the procedure for purchasing additional unlock codes." so you have to buy your third code .. no replacement codes

Note:  when I went through garmin's web page to get the new 25 character unlock code, it assumed 1st the 196 (which is still in the family).  It never asked or assumed anything about the 76s, so I don't know if the 76s is registered for v5??  Anyway the point is, now I wish to add the 76CS, what do I do (once I receive the unit)??

You may be lucky and your old 76C was never registered - hence your 76CS can become your number 2 .. I'd give it a try. just try registering it and see if the page spits out a 25 digit code

Edited by S&G.Davison

I do hope you are all incorrect thus far !!!

Both my 196 (father's) and my 76s WERE registered to City Select v4.

I sold my 76s w/o City Select to my brother, told him I would be registering the new 76CS instead.

I guess I'll have to go right the the horse's mouth and see what they say!

I am still very open to, and appreciative of, further comment!

Edited by Us 5 Camp

I hope you get it worked out, but since you got a code for the unit you sold your brother it has been registered as the 2nd unit. I don't think there's a way to disable an unlock code - the software doesn't check some external database as far as I've seen.

I think you'd be best off saying you sold the unit on eBay to a complete stranger and didn't provide them with the software or any unlock code since you knew you wanted to use this on your new unit. Saying it is your brother makes it sound a lot less convincing to me at least.

Good luck!!

Because the 76S already had it's code revealed for City Secelect 4, you could have sold the City Select with the GPS, and of course the person who received the 76S, does not have a Customer number, so if they buy an autorouting GPS, they would have to buy a Coupon Code for it, but then they may be forced to buy a full version of a newer City Select, even if you had given them the old CS 4.

Caution: I may be in error with some of this.

I found out that they don't transfer stuff the hard way. I bought a GPS and Fishing Hot Spots, then returned that GPS to Wal-Mart, and bought a GPSmap76, I've since bought a rino, and want that to run FHS, but they said I cannot the last time I contacted them :D

Hopefully their policy has changed, sure would make things easier for me :lol:

I had City Select v4.x that was purchased with a GPSMAP 196 and then my 76s was added.

Since then (and in this order)

* I sold my 76s

* purchased and installed the ($75) City Select v5 upgrade.

Note:  when I went through garmin's web page to get the new 25 character unlock code, it assumed 1st the 196 (which is still in the family).  It never asked or assumed anything about the 76s, so I don't know if the 76s is registered for v5??  Anyway the point is, now I wish to add the 76CS, what do I do (once I receive the unit)??

Short Answer: I am okay (for now) with my CS v5 upgrade.

The Upgrade CD assumes (only) the primary unit (originally registered to v4)

* the GPSMAP 196

The upgrade CD has no knowledge of any previous 2nd units (aka, the old 76s) so:

* the 2nd unlock certificate is still available for the v5 upgrade

* NOTE (IMPORTANT): I NEVER registered the old 76S with the Upgrade v5.

So, when the 76CS arrives, I can go to 'unlock additional unit' and use my same customer code/coupon, enter the s/n of the new 76cs and, viola 76cs will be unlocked for City Select v5.

Here comes the kicker and the root of many of the above comments:

If I ever sell either the 76CS or the 196 and do NOT PURCHASE another City Select or Upgrade, I will NOT be able to replace either unit's registration.

Bottom line: you get two unlocks per City Select (period).

When you upgrade City Select, it reverts back to just the primary unit, thereby freeing up the 2nd spot for any gps (new or old). After that you're stuck until/unless you pay some money for an upgrade or new CS.

I obviously do not have my 76CS yet, but this is what Garmin told me on the phone today. I know it's not ideal, but that's the way it is.

Edited by Us 5 Camp