Drive Safely To The Cache.

It's interesting to see how much information can be gained by looking at the photos. There's a lot of forensic evidence available to the trained observer. Newer cars computers are now routinely dumped to gather information on what the vehicle status was at the time of an event. It probably saved the last several seconds of RPM/speed history and any number of other items.

Found this page http://timeslips.bootnetworks.com/a3tree/index.html with more details

English Translation(thanks paivag):

Two men, of 27 and 21 years, died yesterday after a long suffering accident when they tried to over pass cars, on a forest road, in Maceda, Ovar. The accident only involved the victims of the vehicle. The accident occurred about 7h30, close to a Portuguese Air Force Base in that region. "When we arrived to the location there was nothing we could do because the victims did not have vital signs. The impact would have been, probably, very violent due to the state of the car", informed the Firemen of Esmoriz. After the investigation, the bodies were transported by the firemen to the morgue of the Hospital of Saint Maria from the Fair.

Not a total wreck...the left rear tail light is still perfectly good.

Actually that is the key to an Audi. The key is a flip out style similar to a jack knife. Press a button and the metal key flips out of the plastic body which contains the panic button and lock, unlock button. The case is missing from the photo. Either way, it's still a shame...sweet car.

Rich

Edited by CTgeocacher
Anyone else notice the fact that the airbag didnt deploy?

How fast do you need to be going before that sytems fails on impact? :D

*edited for typos*

Initial impact was at the passenger side door, front airbags wouldn't deploy. Notice the side airbags did. After impact at 90 MPH, the car tore apart so any sensors, and for that matter, the whole electrical system is rendered useless.

Rich

Edited by CTgeocacher

Front airbags only deploy in a HEAD ON impact. A few degrees either way from 'dead on' and they likely won't go off....I imagine that varies a little from car to car, though. Oh, and while it obviously wasn't a factor in this accident, you have to be ABOVE a certain speed, too.

If it happened in Europe, then the speed scale would be Km/hr. That would mean that the speedo stopped at 54Mph. It sure looks like it must have been going faster than that for that kind of damage.

Yup. I worked an accident in '97 where a driver swerved to miss a flatbed semi that was turning off the road. He impacted sideways in a '95 Accord, right about the B pillar, and sheered the car in half. Accident reconstruction showed he was travelling 124 mph at the point of impact, after scrubbing off speed by sliding sideways 150 ft......he was DRT.....

Front airbags only deploy in a HEAD ON impact. A few degrees either way from 'dead on' and they likely won't go off....I imagine that varies a little from car to car, though. Oh, and while it obviously wasn't a factor in this accident, you have to be ABOVE a certain speed, too.

Tell that to the chick in Final Destinaton 2 :D

Not to be morbid, but I'm surprised that I don't see any blood in the photos...

There appears to be a smear of blood on the tree.....but it's really hard to tell. Most likely, they were killed on impact, and thrown from the vehicle before any blood could be splattered. The guy I mentioned in the above post had no blood on him at all, and an obviously broken neck. A lot of times in accidents where the people are thrown out like that, it's internal injuries, and head injuries that kill them, with no open wounds.

Just remember that on impact those little speedo needles bounce all over the place. Doesn't prove a thing. Heck he may have been going even faster than indicated.

I did a bit of internship with the Highway Patrol's accident reconstruction team, and learned that in head-on impacts, often the speedo needle with "slap" the speedo console, and leave a very faint mark. By examining the speedo housing in frontal collisions, you can determine the speed at the time of impact from the "needle slap" mark. I recall one accident where a young woman fell asleep and impacted a bridge-railing. The "needle slap" was precisely at 72mph....she later admitted to putting the cruise control at "just over 70" before falling asleep........as far as side impacts such as this, not much help......doesn't really matter, either, when it comes down to it.....the people are dead, so it's not likely they'll get a ticket for speeding, and their insurance rates won't go up either......

I need to find my photos of a camaro that hit about 6 or those cement poles that are placed in front of Phonebooths to protect them, after that the car 'bounced" off them and went under an 18wheeler. that was parked in the rest area. The Drive of the truck was asleep and never heard a thing until the cops woke him up by banging on the door. The cops figure the camaro was doing well over 100mph when it hit the poles...

BTW...the 2 guys in the camaro...crawled out with out a scratch!!!

yeh they were drunkl!

RK and Stunod:

Note the speedo and tach are frozen in one of the pictures.

:rolleyes:

Good catch. Looks like it broke while registering the change from fast to close enough to zero.

i believe the technical term for where it stopped is considered "still pretty dadgum fast". :blink:

I've been on plenty of car accidents where they have been split in half. Usually the victims are in the car or not, almost always dead. Even if the seat belt held you in the deceleration G-force is enough to kill you, that's why there isn't any gore. Not that I mind gore :lol: But it's people like this that keep me employed! I average cutting someone out of a car once every 2 weeks, that's an extremely high rate of using the jaws of life. We had bad accidents 3 thrusdays in a row, we started calling it Cut-n-Rescue Thursdays, it was just bound to happen. But we graduated from that to train accidents trapping people.

Anyways, blunt force trauma is a huge killer of people. Accidents where you think people should be torn up, yet there's no visible injuries but the person is quite dead. These type of injuries do not have a save factor usually. Life in the fast lane!

Brings back memories of my heavy rescue squad days. Somewhere I have pictures of an 18 wheeler in a similar state of disassembly. They leave a much larger debris trail. The results for the driver are much the same though.

That happened here in Colorado. I came upon an accident that involved two 18 wheelers. One had pulled off the highway to check something wrong with his tires. Another 18 wheeler was cruising along and hit the first 18 wheeler and ripped it in half lengthwise. The whole truck was split in half. Unfortunately, the trucker that was checking his tires was hurlled over 300 feet into the air, and his wife (a passenger) witnessed it. His shoes were still next to the truck. There was debris scattered on the highway for almost 1/4 of a mile.

The reason the second trucker hit the first one??? She was doing Yoga! Yep, she was doing yoga exercises while driving and wasn't paying attention. Luckily she was charged for her crime and is doing time for it.

I don't believe in stereotypes, but great part of audi drivers in my area are arrogants drivers.

They usually likes speed in excess and tend to do others imprudences, in the 80% of cases the people who parks in front of my garage's door (it is prohibited) are audi drivers, most of them are insolent and they do not worry in bothering the other drivers.

I only speak about my personal experience i had with audi drivers, no ofense, i know that there are a lot of audi drivers that are educated and better drivers than me, but i suspect that audi market is looking for a profile of insolent users at least in my country.

Seeing the kind of publicity that they make it is enough for believe what i am saying.

Actually, I don't believe you have to be traveling very fast for the airbags to deploy. I had the misfortune to assist in the resuscitation of a child who had been sitting in front of an air bag in a little fender bender. The car had a minor scratch, the child had a C1 complete dislocation from the air bag. No, s/he didn't make it. Keep kids away from air bags! :grin:

How fast do you need to be going before that sytems fails on impact? :D

*edited for typos*

Initial impact was at the passenger side door, front airbags wouldn't deploy. Notice the side airbags did. After impact at 90 MPH, the car tore apart so any sensors, and for that matter, the whole electrical system is rendered useless.

Rich

Just a point for those interested. After the intial side impact the airbag could have still deployed if there had been a frontal style imact on the remaining frontal piece, as the Audi airbags have an internal capacitor which allows them to still deploy for 10 sec after the main power (battery) is disconnected. I suspect the reason this one didn't deploy was the motion switch/pendulum/ball was probably jammed sideways in its housing.

Anyone who deals with rescue of post MVC occupants, always has to keep this in mind as it is the one of the thorns in our side that hinders the rescue removal process. Some makes have a wait time of greater than 20min. ie. Rolls Royce, Porche, Bentelys. These delays are great if you're going to be hit by further impacts 20 mins. after the intial crash but sucks when you are trying to get someone out of a wreck and get them to the hosp.. :huh::D