Is The Compass And Altimeter Really Worth It?

No.

However if you do get a GPS with a compass you will like it, get used to it and probably never get a GPS without one again. If you don't get a GPS with a compass you will not miss it because two steps and your GPS is pointing the right direction. So in other words. For the compass alone it's not worth upgrading a GPS, but if you like the other features that tend to come with the higher end GPS's then go for it. I'm not sure anyone uses the altimeter unless they are flying and then the cabin pressure befuddles the GPS sensor.

Edited by Renegade Knight

My Mericolor didn't have them, my 60cs does. I USE both the features, albeit more so with the compass. It's like having any good tool, it's only useful when you use it. Personally, I like being able to be stationary and have the compass work as a compass should. BTW, I carry an Eclipse Pro compass, but have used it much less since acquiring the 60cs.

I really like the compass. I have a 76s and just ordered the 60cs. I originally had a GPSr without the electronic compass. I checked and the cost diff is $39.05. Thats at www.getfeetwet.com where the 60c has free shipping and the 60cs has $20.00 off. The diff is the $39.05. If your going to put out the $ for the 60c just go the extra and get the cs. You will not be disappointed. Now get out there and geocache. :D

The nice thing about the compass is that it is integrated well into the system. What I mean is that you don't just have to be on the compass page to take advantage of it. If you have "direction up" (instead of "north up") on your map, and you hold the GPS in front of you and turn in a circle, the map will rotate around, so that it always points the direction you're looking. I find that a useful feature.

I only turn it on when I need it. But when you've stopped for a while, then want to get going again, turning the compass on to quickly orient yourself to the map is nice. Is that worth 50 bucks? That's for you to decide. :D

To throw in a "Me too". I have an eTrex Vista which has an internal compass and a Rino 120, which does not. This weekend was my first big attempt at using the Rino under heavy tree cover. I definitely appreciated having the magnetic compass in the eTrex, because the Rino became useless once I stopped moving. I only use the barometric altimeter for "gee whiz" type uses, nothing real. Perhaps a parachute instructor or real outdoorsman might have a use for it. For geocaching and light hiking, I haven't needed it yet.

-E

For me it was worth the extra cost. I watch the barometer for weather indications. I use the compass on my MeriPlat exclusively. I like the fact it also points to the waypoint as well as north and points to the bearing I'm walking on. Having it 3-axis is a bonus I'll never give up.

I'd love to have the compass, but since the Garmin implementation requires it to be flat when using it, it's not so useful when you mount upright in a car. It's no big deal because as soon as I start driving/walking I'll know that I'm goign the wrong direction.

:D

Walking a few steps will get you the compass position with a non-compas gps if you're not under heavy canopy and get he satellite signals. However, even under tree cover, the internal magnetic compass always works while you're having trouble getting satellite locks.

Like most things we do, you'll probably get use to anything. But I find the extra bells and whistles, especially for a few extra bucks if you have it, is worth it in this case.

Good luck with whatever you select.

Alan :D

I started caching with a legend, and frequently found myself using a compass to orient the gps when zeroing in on the location. I also remember walking in straight lines, trying to get the gpsr to point me in the right direction. I recently got a 60cs, and the built in compass has eliminated the need for either of these methods. I am very pleased with it.

I have a nice compass and will be getting a nice (Thommen) altimeter one day. I have an eTrex Summit but I don't trust the compass for precision work and I felt like the altimeter was not precise unless it was repeatedly calibrated to a known altitude or barometric pressure. So when I upgraded, I went with the 60c not the 60cs. I trust my compass. I trust a Thommen. I love the convenience of a GPS. But I would not want to have all my eggs in one basket. Again, that's just me and I'm probably a little old-fashioned. And, too, my uses are primarily high altitude trekking with geocaching as a newly acquired interest.

Edited by Tesoro Perdido

It looks like the trend is that once you have it, you don't want to go back.

This is certainly how I feel.

I have two eTrex units that I let the kids use when we go geocaching. (I always get the 60CS). Anyway, even my 10-year-old has realized the value of the e-compass and fights to get the Vista (over the Mariner) simply because he uses the e-compass once we get close to a cache.

I like the ability to project waypoints. For example if I'm trying to figure out the name of a geographic landmark I can point at it with the GPS and then project a waypoint a guesstimated distance away to find the landmark I'm looking at. This can also come in handy when Geocaching. Say you get to a point and then have to go so many feet in a certain direction from that point. With the compass you can find the exact direction without moving and then project the new waypoint the exact distance away in that direction.

I used to love the electronic compass of my MeriPlat...until I got fed up with the calibrating non-sense. Ever since that day, I've used the lensatic compass that I always carry with me. It gives me a better accuracy (1 degree) than the arrow of the MeriPlat ever could.

I think it's worth it. I had the Meridian Platinum, and it was nearly flawless, and part of that maybe because I turned off WAAS, so the GPS could work better for it's other functions. I liked it, and used the 3 axis Compass only to get a quick bearing to the cache. Never had the compass reversing problems with it, and it did a better job at seeking caches than my garmins.

I think that the electronic compass on a GPS is the best possible add-on for geocaching. You get a good idea of where you need to go immediately without having to start moving to get a bearing. The other advantage I find is that under tree cover even if you lose signal, the compass still gives you a sensible direction of travel that you can follow.

As for the altimeter, cool but not as useful for geocaching (at least in the UK!)

Hope this helps!

On my Magellan, the compas only works if you are moving. However it show the sun and moon, so I can line it up with out having to move.

An electonic compass works when you are stationary too ... the type in the unit you have is based on GPS data and it can only plot noth when you are moving. I do like the sun/moon utility though ... nice!

The Compass is great (dont rely on one item for navigation)

The Alt is not that great (unless you have a 3d plotter app on the PC)

The thing is, with most ALT capable units that have a BARO sensor, which if left on for long times can give you reletive Baro Pressure/history/direction and a great weather forcaster.

I upgraded my 76 to a 76s. I occasionally use the compass, but usually prefer my trusty old Silva thats around my neck. The actual altimeter is just a toy for me. It's cool to compare it against an elevation marker, but the fact is at those places you useally have very good sat coverage, and the gps calulated elevation is within 100ft; close enough for my puposes. The reason I went with the 76s is the OTHER features that came with a higher end model. For the added $50 or so extra over the price of the MAP76, I got 3 times the amount of mapping memory, as well as the the vertical trip computer mentioned below. I really enjoy checking out the vertical profile on a good hike, and the extra memory allows me to keep topos and street maps loaded for over 15,000 square miles. For me, the other added features were worth the $50 to me. The compass and barometric sensors were gravy, like getting tthe car dealer to throw in the hood ornament and floor mats for free.

Edited by Mopar
I'd love to have the compass, but since the Garmin implementation requires it to be flat when using it, it's not so useful when you mount upright in a car. It's no big deal because as soon as I start driving/walking I'll know that I'm goign the wrong direction.

:lol:

Do the electronic compasses work while inside a car or do they suffer the same (metallic) interference that a standard magnetic pocket compass does?

I always feel a little strange jumping out of my parked car and having to move away from it to get a good compass bearing.

Olar

The compass and altimeter are nice to have, but I don't think I'd use them in any mission critical applications. I agree that the best use of the altimeter is that it most GPSr's that have them also have a "how high have I climbed" feature which is always nice to know.

I use an eTrex Summit and I find that the compass is nice when stopped in order to orient myself, but it does tend to swing a bit, gets affected by metal in a car (same as a regular compass) and also seems to be a bit off when mounted on the handlebars of my bicycle.

I think the best thing I ever saw for orientation when stopped is on my Magellan GPS 315. On the compass screen it has an indication of the sun and/or the moon (when they are above the horizon) and you can always line yourself up to that. I wish it was still available on newer units (or is it and I missed it?).

:ph34r:

Do the electronic compasses work while inside a car or do they suffer the same (metallic) interference that a standard magnetic pocket compass does?

I always feel a little strange jumping out of my parked car and having to move away from it to get a good compass bearing.

Olar

Same problem as a regular compass. Of course, the car is normally moving so the compass bearing comes from the satellite calculation the GPS is doing. However, when you stop, (I use a Vista), after 30 seconds or so, the electronic compass kicks in. Since my Vista is in a vertical mounting position and also due to the car's metal, the compass reading goes haywire. If you are not paying attention, you'll be looking the wrong way. However, you can shut off the electronic magnetic compass and the Vista returns to show the last compass heading in memory from the satellite before the compass kicked in. And that's the same direction the car is facing.

Alan

Edited by Alan2

I like having mine, and I never seem to have issues with it, it always seems to be such an issue on this site. It's not at all necessary for geo caching, but I do use it for other activities and whats another 50 bucks, like a couple of cases of beer or a third of a tank of fuel for my truck.

(a decade later)

Is it worth it?

No, not really!

:rolleyes:

You really DID have to open up that can of worms again?

The correct answer: It depends entirely upon an individual's use model, and very often the real relevance doesn't become apparent until you're in some really ugly terrain, and not everyone caches in such environments. If you're a flatlander, on the prairie you couldn't possibly understand.

The compass and altimeter thing is getting old. With my old Garmin GPS 38 I could find geo caches, no real compass and no real maps, just shows where I am and where I want to go...simple, in the most basic form its all you need to know, anything more is for your own pleasure, needs or likes or whatever so why base it on others likes and dislikes. You should educate yourself and then decide what you may like or need. Otherwise if just by chance 12 people chime in and say get it you will and if 12 chime in and say its not worth it you wont. Do you always do what others say to do. If so maybe you will make the wrong choice. I have all the bells and whistles,and have no regrets and didn't base my decision on a survey.

Edited by Forkeye

Otherwise if just by chance 12 people chime in and say get it you will and if 12 chime in and say its not worth it you wont. Do you always do what others say to do. If so maybe you will make the wrong choice.

[First, not directed at you .. just jumping off from the "12" thoughts in your post...]

Which is why some of us actually provide real world examples of the reasons for our preferences instead of just stating them without any explanation. What irks me at times is how little 'real field use' justification is usually provided for a particular preference, especially from those who haven't had the opportunity to work both with and without a particular option in ALL of the possible environments. As I noted earlier, a flatlander has a difficult time understanding WHY some of us have a real need to shoot a bearing to the cache while NOT moving. If your idea of 'terrain' is a 10 foot hill, and mine is a 300+ foot drop off the side of a mountain, we may well have different ideas about what is useful. If my idea of a forest is a hill full of well spaced pine trees and yours is a nasty thicket that you can't even see through, we may again have different ideas about what is useful.

You non-electronic compass types are no doubt largely caching in an entirely different environment than I am, and have different requirements. But instead of ASKING someone who asks about that feature how he or she caches, you ignore the fact that their use model might be quite different from yours, and lay down ignorant blanket statements about the usefulness of a feature that you don't need. I find that silly.

Sorry but the fact is that an electronic compass isn't necessary for caching, hiking, etc whatever the terrain. In some circumstances it may be a 'nice to have' feature, but many who come here asking for advice are on a budget. Sure, if money is no object buy all the bells and whistles you want, just in case one day you might need them.

As a geocacher with over 12 years using GPSrs under my belt I can confirm this. An electron compass is nice but not necessary. The best way to use a GPSr without an electronic compass is to use the map screen with the map set to north up and no compass overlay. Don't worry about knowing which direction north is. It will become obvious when you start walking and the map starts updating to your movements. If the map spins when you standing still then you do not have it set to north up. Once you have your bearings and you know which direction is north it's very easy to maintain which direction north is in.

Totally agree, and from your statement a person can learn something, but if I ask is the compass worth $50 as was the original question and the awnser is yes or no, I havent learned a thing about how it could be usefull or not ,all you learn is who likes them and who doesnt.

Then you haven't been reading my posts. IIRC, I'm the only one who has provided in this forum (and others here a long time ago) very specifically the circumstances under which, and how, I make use of the electronic compass when I feel it will be useful. Should I repeat, or are you looking for yet more examples?

....but if I ask is the compass worth $50 as was the original question ...

As asked almost 10 years ago.....so should they now be responding to: "...worth $100....?"

Nothing like a little hyperbole to keep it interesting, eh? You can buy a whole Oregon 450 (yup, right down to the back cover, the screen, AND the electronic compass) for $169 at the moment. If anyone spots an equivalent unit without the compass for $69, be sure to let us know.

....but if I ask is the compass worth $50 as was the original question ...

As asked almost 10 years ago.....so should they now be responding to: "...worth $100....?"

Nothing like a little hyperbole to keep it interesting, eh? You can buy a whole Oregon 450 (yup, right down to the back cover, the screen, AND the electronic compass) for $169 at the moment. If anyone spots an equivalent unit without the compass for $69, be sure to let us know.

Roger that! Also, if one's current GPSr does not have a compass function, why spend on a new GPSr with one when $1.89 will get you one?

http://www.meritline.com/3-in-1-outdoor-survival-whistle-compass-thermometer---p-98825.aspx?strcoup=&dealid=66768

If you are a geocacher do not buy a GPS unit without a three axis electronic compass. Forget about the " compass ", I never use it for that, I pack a Cammenga Military compass for when I want to use one ( although the one on the GPS works fine.)

In geocaching mode with a cache loaded to seek, the " compass " turns in to a " cache pointer " which always points right at the cache even when you're standing still or moving too slowly for the non electronic models pointer to operate....this is an invaluable asset when moving through rocks or heavy overgrowth. After arriving at GZ as all units will adjust you won't have to do the " drunk walk " to get the pointer to show where the adjusted location might be. This subject has stumped me over the years.......I have about a dozen or so units having the " electronic pointer " and another 10 or so that don't and believe me if you've ever cached with a unit having a good "electronic pointer " you would NEVER go back to one without it. I would surmise the vast majority of the naysayers have never owned a unit with a good " electronic pointer " and used it for geocaching any length of time.

I'm with you, Bamboozle, at least as far as "this is an invaluable asset when moving through rocks or heavy overgrowth." or other places that pretty well stop you in your tracks often enough to make it worth it. Once you're west of the prairie out here in Colorado, the terrain can get really interesting. Thankfully, we don't typically have the problems with dense undergrowth here that I've experienced elsewhere, but I have run into it a few times even here. Out in some of the eastern states, just moving at all in the woods can be a real adventure unless you run across a trail/geo-trail. In Colorado, I've had too many instances in the mountains where I could NOT continue to move towards the objective, and was glad to be able just to stand where I was, get a bearing and distance to the cache, and look around to figure out how the heck I was going to get there.

And last, the ability to back away from GZ to about 30~40' in several positions in an attempt to try to triangulate on a location has been the difference between find/not find for me several times. I've described that in other threads, but in that case, it's not just a matter of cliff faces in the mountains... it's an urban issue as well. It's not common, but it's certainly nice to have the ability to do that without having to be on the move while trying to shoot the bearing and visualize the distance. Having to move while performing a triangulation just isn't any fun.

In contrast to your last sentences -- I really can imagine a person caching in an environment that is much less challenging in terms of terrain (let's face it, Hayes, Kansas doesn't regularly provide the sort of challenges we're talking about above) who could cache with the compass and without, and probably never develop an appreciation for it at all. I really do think that where and how a person caches is going to make a difference in whether they really care one way or another. If you can drive right to the cache, you can already see where the skirt lifter is going to be. A walk in a park that's just grass and a few trees isn't going to require the stop/start where an electronic compass suddenly becomes your friend. We have those here, too. I follow the arrow, but it could just as easily be generated by my movement unless I'm really poking along for some reason.

There's another group that benefits greatly from the use of an electronic compass, and that's the folks who can't move along at a speed fast enough (guess it's somewhere in the 2mph range) to engage the 'GPS compass' feature on their unit. Not everyone who moves slowly is doing so because they're terrain bound.

I leave the electronic compass on/enabled all the time, but I'd guess that in the full mix of caching in my area, it becomes useful in perhaps 20% of urban caches, and 50% of mountain caches. Still, that's a lot of 'useful' when you've got a big itinerary planned, and there's that 5% of each environment where it really can save a heck of a lot of time getting you to GZ.

If you are a geocacher do not buy a GPS unit without a three axis electronic compass. Forget about the " compass ", I never use it for that, I pack a Cammenga Military compass for when I want to use one ( although the one on the GPS works fine.)

In geocaching mode with a cache loaded to seek, the " compass " turns in to a " cache pointer " which always points right at the cache even when you're standing still or moving too slowly for the non electronic models pointer to operate....

It isn't true that the "cache pointer" always points right at the cache. You only have to read the getting started forum to understand this. In fact a frequent comment by new geocachers is how the pointer has failed them. It was pointing as some other object 10 or 15 feet away than where they found the cache.

I've experienced this first hand when caching in a group. Those following the "cache pointer" are usually all grouped around some object looking from the object to the "cache pointer" as if the "cache pointer" was going to give then any further assistance. By this time I've already put my GPS away and I'm using my "geosense" to find the cache. Those of us who have put our GPS away usually are the first ones to find the cache.

this is an invaluable asset when moving through rocks or heavy overgrowth.

I haven't found this true. In fact in rocks and heavy overgrowth I've found that I spend more time navigating through the hazard then following the "cache pointer". A couple of times a year someone in these forums relates a story of how they or a friend was injured by following the "cache pointer" and not paying attention to the terrain or other hazards.

After arriving at GZ as all units will adjust you won't have to do the " drunk walk " to get the pointer to show where the adjusted location might be.

Very early I've done the "drunk walk" but I've learned that when you approach GZ it is best to just put the GPS away and hunt for the cache. Doing the "drunk walk" doesn't get you any closer to the cache. It only gets you closer to where your GPS "thinks" the cache is but as those who follow the "cache pointer" soon find out that isn't necessarily where the cache actually is.

This subject has stumped me over the years.......I have about a dozen or so units having the " electronic pointer " and another 10 or so that don't and believe me if you've ever cached with a unit having a good "electronic pointer " you would NEVER go back to one without it. I would surmise the vast majority of the naysayers have never owned a unit with a good " electronic pointer " and used it for geocaching any length of time.

I've owned a number of GPSs and while an electronic compass is nice I still contend that it isn't a necessity. While a mapping GPS isn't a necessity either I find the map much more useful than an electronic compass. Especially a topographic map. It's very useful in terrain where it's difficult to see through the overgrowth or over a rise. A "cache pointer" can't show you that.

Sorry but the fact is that an electronic compass isn't necessary

I don't recall implying that it was. Why do you suggest that I did?

You're misquoting me ... I said that an electronic compass isn't necessary for caching, hiking whatever the terrain. You implied that if you're not a 'flatlander' it is. I simply don't agree and it seems others don't also. I accept you feel it's necessary, as you're perfectly entitled to do :)

[/b] </b> I think we could agree that a GPS, in general, is not necessary for caching*, hiking, or whatever.

* although in the case of geocaching, it's a hell of a lot easier than triangulating your position and then navigating with map and compass.

I've owned a number of GPSs and while an electronic compass is nice I still contend that it isn't a necessity. While a mapping GPS isn't a necessity either I find the map much more useful than an electronic compass. Especially a topographic map. It's very useful in terrain where it's difficult to see through the overgrowth or over a rise. A "cache pointer" can't show you that.

Item #1: The original topic of this thread wasn't a question of 'necessity', it was a question of 'value'. Why does that keep getting lost in this thread? The 'worth it' factor depends on the individual and how and where they cache. It is impossible, impossible to unequivocally tell a user whether or not they will find the 'worth it' factor in an electronic compass unless you first understand their caching regimen. Those that attempt to do so are being very presumptuous, and most likely assuming that how and where they cache is the only way it happens. I don't think I've seen anyone in any of these threads actually take the time to first ask a user the right questions that would help them to make their individual decision. There are a great many uninformed opinions in these compass threads being provided as sound advice.

Item #2: As for the 'worth it' and Topo maps, again, it depends upon where and how you cache. Parking lot caches really don't benefit much from a Topo map. OTOH, where I often cache, I wouldn't consider NOT having the topo. Can't even count how many times I'd have wound up on the wrong side of a stream or other obstacle without this feature, so we both share that as a valuable tool in our particular way of caching. As for 'worth', there's often gpsfiledepot or similar to remedy that, and now 'worth it' isn't even an issue for anyone apart from the time spent to download and install them (vs. buying the 24K Garmin topos, where there really is some cost involved). But again, misses the point of the original topic.

As for where the arrow points, on a non-electronic unit, no it does not always point towards the cache. When you aren't moving at 2mph or so, the unit has no way of knowing which way you (and the unit) are oriented, and hence can't know the vector to the cache.

Item #1: The original topic of this thread wasn't a question of 'necessity', it was a question of 'value'. Why does that keep getting lost in this thread? The 'worth it' factor depends on the individual and how and where they cache. It is impossible, impossible to unequivocally tell a user whether or not they will find the 'worth it' factor in an electronic compass unless you first understand their caching regimen. Those that attempt to do so are being very presumptuous, and most likely assuming that how and where they cache is the only way it happens. I don't think I've seen anyone in any of these threads actually take the time to first ask a user the right questions that would help them to make their individual decision. There are a great many uninformed opinions in these compass threads being provided as sound advice.

Item #2: As for the 'worth it' and Topo maps, again, it depends upon where and how you cache. Parking lot caches really don't benefit much from a Topo map. OTOH, where I often cache, I wouldn't consider NOT having the topo. Can't even count how many times I'd have wound up on the wrong side of a stream or other obstacle without this feature, so we both share that as a valuable tool in our particular way of caching. As for 'worth', there's often gpsfiledepot or similar to remedy that, and now 'worth it' isn't even an issue for anyone apart from the time spent to download and install them (vs. buying the 24K Garmin topos, where there really is some cost involved). But again, misses the point of the original topic.

As for where the arrow points, on a non-electronic unit, no it does not always point towards the cache. When you aren't moving at 2mph or so, the unit has no way of knowing which way you (and the unit) are oriented, and hence can't know the vector to the cache.

The reason we can actually argue against getting a pre-installed topo unit is that there are free topo maps out there that are just as good or better than Garmin's expensive topo series, both the 100k and the 24K. Therefore, it's not worth buying the xxxt model for an extra $50 - 100 when you could save the money and load free maps instead.