Forum Post Leaderboard? Why?

Squealy

Stats are built into the forum software. The forum is run on a different server using different software than the caching data base.

How they know so much with not so many finds?

Maybe because they have been reading the forums and learned a few things?

Maybe they have knowledge gained outside the geocaching world that they apply to geocaching questions.

But it's not about the numbers after all, right?

I didn't want this to become another thread about the stats debate -

sometimes it is about the numbers and sometimes it is not.

(Even though SPORT implies competition - ok, sorry!) :D

I'm just curious about the importance of maintaining this type of stat (I think you answered the "why" in your post). In this case, I thin that I can accept the "why" as the reason for.

If that makes sense to any of you! :lol:

About 4 of the people on that list need to spend more time out in the woods. How they know so much with not so many finds?

I assure you that I spend more time in the woods than probably 98 percent of the people who use this website.

Hmmm, lets see. Just last week I spent 7 hours building a new hiking trail near Ringwood State park on Sunday. Worked my regular job on Monday and Tue. Spent 6 1/2 hours doing trail maintenance on Wed, walking 7 miles carrying a chainsaw and other tools up and down the mountains in the process. Thursday I hiked 5 miles to nab a fairly remote geocache. Worked my regular job on Friday. Did a 4 mile pleasure hike Saturday morning and another 3 mile hike in the afternoon to plant a new geocache. Finished up with a quick 2.5 mile hike Sunday afternoon after coaching my daughter's soccer game. Would have hiked in the morning, but I spent it bass fishing.

That is a typical week for me. Sure, I don't have a lot of finds, but its partly because I'm busy enjoying, or working in the woods and not hitting every dog poop park cache and Walmart micro in the area.

How much time do YOU spend in the woods wisenheimer?

Edited by briansnat

WOW!!!

OK - everyone take it easy. This thread was not about putting down the people who post a lot on here - it was a question about having certain stats and not others.

BTW, if Brian is running up and down mountains with a chainsaw, I wouldn't f' with him! :D

Everyone play nice - or I turn this car around and we don't go anywhere! :lol:

BrianSnat's latest two caches:

Dog poop park cache and Walmart micro - look for them soon in the woods!

It would be cool to get stats, but who cares about the numbers... it's not about the the numbers, right people? Ascend to step 12. :lol:

If you have more than 100 finds then you are probably in the top 5% of cachers worldwide... mainly because the rest of the world hasn't caught up and you have to drive 50 miles between each cache in most countries :D

I am sure some other websites keep track?

I agree 100% with the folks who found the posted photo completely tasteless so I have removed it.

This type of garbage has no place here and will not be tolerated.

Yeah, if you're interested in tastless images, PM any of the Abject Silliness regulars. We have photos of Stunod that we'd rather pass off onto someone else. :D

There's no leaderboard because all the server space is being used for those ridiculous FIVE THOUSAND yellow jeep TBs.

What?!?!?!? Where did you dig that up?!?!?!? 5,000 TB's ain't gonna take up anymore space than anything else on the website, in fact, the extra 5,000 YJTB's are gonna take up less space than a regular, as Jeremy posted in the other thread. Why does this idea of caching for a Jeep bother you? Are you mad that you aren't going to win one, so you put the whole idea down? :D

Oh, and to be on topic, I'm in the top 5 or six posters, and I don't have a clue whether I'm gaining insight to geocaching, or if geocaching is giving me insight to post....either way, as someone mentioned, the stats are built into the board software.....as for caching stats, they are there, just go look for them. How long can it take you to search 80,000 cachers and compile your own list? :lol:

G*ddamnit!!!! It's my thread - what did I miss??????  :lol:  :o  :D  :D

Nothing Neil. Just someone proving to us what a dolt he is.

Hey, Sparky's a good guy, once you get to know him. You shouldn't call him names :D

No, Sparky's not a dolt! But Sparky does needs to chill out a bit. Cz is good people too. Don't make me come to Kansas Sparky!

Edited by JMBella
Why does this idea of caching for a Jeep bother you? Are you mad that you aren't going to win one, so you put the whole idea down?

Nah it bothers me because I now live in a world who care little for the environment. If Jeep really wanted to do something way don't they make more efficient cars? But that debate is for another thread. Happy hunting for the jeep t-bugs : :D If of course you are still on Step 5.

Why does this idea of caching for a Jeep bother you? Are you mad that you aren't going to win one, so you put the whole idea down?

Nah it bothers me because I now live in a world who care little for the environment. If Jeep really wanted to do something way don't they make more efficient cars? But that debate is for another thread. Happy hunting for the jeep t-bugs : :D If of course you are still on Step 5.

Discussing 4x4's and their effects on the environment is a topic for a different website, not just a different thread

There's no leaderboard because all the server space is being used for those ridiculous FIVE THOUSAND yellow jeep TBs.

What?!?!?!? Where did you dig that up?!?!?!? 5,000 TB's ain't gonna take up anymore space than anything else on the website, in fact, the extra 5,000 YJTB's are gonna take up less space than a regular, as Jeremy posted in the other thread. Why does this idea of caching for a Jeep bother you? Are you mad that you aren't going to win one, so you put the whole idea down? :D

You need to chill, Sparky.

It's called humor. Like hahaha.

You're not in Kansas anymore...

photyear20021.jpg

Well that's offensive. Did you think for a half a second before you posted it? Just think of all the poor people who died in that accident. What a sickening show of disrespect. Come to think of it, a picture of someone hold up an ammo can wearing just a bra and pants is offensive, too.

G*ddamnit!!!! It's my thread - what did I miss??????  :lol:  :o  :D  :D

Nothing Neil. Just someone proving to us what a dolt he is.

Hey, Sparky's a good guy, once you get to know him. You shouldn't call him names :D

No, Sparky's not a dolt! But Sparky does needs to chill out a bit. Cz is good people too. Don't make me come to Kansas Sparky!

Oh, yeah, like you scare me......I can outrun you! :D:D

You need to chill, Sparky.

It's called humor. Like hahaha.

You're not in Kansas anymore...

I'm sorry, I missed that......I was a bit testy, and apologize. I was tired of hearing other people complain about the YJTB project, and bashing Jeremy for trying to do something to make this a better game for all......please accept my apologies! :lol:

Really? The top 3 posters have over 1,000 finds and 137 hides between them. There might be a bit of experience there, don't you think?

I wasn't referring to you or anyone else in the top 3.

Ok, just for fun:

As of a few minutes ago the top 3 posters totaled 21,257 posts.

The next 7 on the top 10 list had a combined total of 23,129 posts.

Carry that one step further, those 7 also:

found over 1600 caches

placed over 125 caches

have a total of over 13yrs experience

Still not too shabby.......

Add in that several of those 7 were instrumental in the founding of several state organizations, and in defining the very game itself in the early days, and some are actively working on visions for the future, on the whole that's a pretty good top 10 list.

I wasn't referring to you or anyone else in the top 3. Your posts are relevant, informative, and helpful to the site.

I think the forums get bogged down by some people who just get on to blather. The general forum is hard enough to keep track of without the ramblings. Now if they made a separate forum for that, I'd be happy.

As for my time, if you want to get into a pissing contest, then I spent 5 hours after work till way past dark caching in Huntington on Friday. I got rained out on Saturday. I cached for 10 hours in Parkersburg on Sunday. I am going to our state's get together event cache that I organized this Saturday. I am working with the WV State Parks system to keep geocaching going, and I contacted our admin this morning to try to temorarily archive a cache that still hasn't got a State Parks Permit.

All that aside, if you want to get away from the crappy dime store caches, come down to West Virginia and we can do some high mileage ones together. This state was made for caching.

Sorry, I was not having a good day in work and was in a lousy mood. I took your post personally and shouldn't have. Someday I'll make my way to WV, but we still have some purty good caches up here that I have on my to-do list.

Impartial list of East?

CCCooperAgency 5344

StayFloopy 2617 

SBUX 2165

Geo13 2013

WaldenRun 1595

K TEAM 1313 

THE DAM TROLLS 1264

BigCall 1159

BassoonPilot 1111

njski 1082

Doug26 1038

Gaiter Man 1038 

Congrats to all these cachers with over 1000 finds! Now if I can just find a team of 12 people and we can all log eachothers finds, we'll catch them in no time!

I never knew I was in the top 5. :rolleyes:

I lurk the other threads but usually somebody else can say what I think a lot better than I can.

By the way, I am very active in local caching groups and try to contrubute here only when it makes sense or I have a view that hasen't already been stated. I feel that saying "Metoo" to briansnat, RK's or whoevers comment dosen't really add much to the discussion.

On the other hand I always have something silly to say. :blink:

Well that's offensive. Did you think for a half a second before you posted it? Just think of all the poor people who died in that accident. What a sickening show of disrespect. Come to think of it, a picture of someone hold up an ammo can wearing just a bra and pants is offensive, too.

Didn't mean to offend anyone. My apologies if I did. I was simply trying to illustrate that the thread had been derailed. What was your reason to post a picture of a kid with down syndrome and saying he was retarded?