"official" Geocaching Site?

i have a few unrelated things to say:

1) i DO understand the main point of the original post. while interesting and valid, i just don't think it's very important. i am more concerned with the misuse of the term "muggle", as my record indicates.

2) i wish for pepsi to stop using the color blue.

3) if you want to be the official picker of my nose, i am interested to see your resume.

d) i, too, am finding it difficult to wade throught the abject silliness thread and would like to see it restarted. i did not consider it important enough to read until it was too mny pages for me to keep up with. i have learned the error of my ways.

4)how about them red sox?

5) i am no good at indexing.

I have to agree with just about everyone else who said that GC.com IS the official site.  I mean, this was the original site, and it holds the actual name of the sport...

This is NOT the original site, actually....

As far as the name, I wonder where you go if you try www.geo-cache.com ???

WOW! never knew that one...

I have to agree with just about everyone else who said that GC.com IS the official site.  I mean, this was the original site, and it holds the actual name of the sport...

okay, so maybe the URL changed or something, but this site is still under the same basic management as it was when it was the first and only site isn't it?

WOW! never knew that one...

This is not uncommon. I work for a very large insurance company. If you misspelled our name in the address line it would direct you to a competitor of ours for a long time. My company sued.. blah blah blah.. but its not uncommon for competitors to do this kind of thing to help direct traffic to "their" site. Now I'm not saying it was intentional by the other site in this case as it was w/ my work... but I'm not real surprised.

d) i, too, am finding it difficult to wade throught the abject silliness thread and would like to see it restarted. i did not consider it important enough to read until it was too mny pages for me to keep up with. i have learned the error of my ways.

it is not necessary to wade through the AS thread. just chime in whenever you want and keep it silly.

it is not necessary to wade through the AS thread. just chime in whenever you want and keep it silly.

Yeah what she said.. a good place to start would be making fun of the cross dressing chicken.. he's drinking tonight :D

Yeah what she said.. a good place to start would be making fun of the cross dressing chicken.. he's drinking tonight :D

"stewed" chicken. :lol:

You are right. The original website was Mike Teague's at http://www.triax.com/yngwie/gps.html

Thru the wonders of the internet wayback machine, we can see the way Mike's site looked back in Oct, 2000 HERE. In case anyone is too lazy to look, it says in part:

News

THE NEW HEADQUARTERS -- GEOCACHING.COM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other News

As you have noticed, we finally have a REAL website! I no longer maintain this site for Geocaching / GPS Stash Hunting. Jeremy will do (and has been doing) a GREAT job maintaining the new site, and this will definitely help expand the size and scope of the great game of Geocaching. The game is really starting to take off now that he's assumed this role. Check it out HERE!

Now, lets look at those other sites:

WHOIS information for geo-cache.com

Creation date: 06 Feb 2001 16:42:57

WHOIS information for navicache.com

Creation date: 09 Feb 2001 18:33:14

Compare that to:

WHOIS information for geocaching.com

Created on 2000-07-03

So, the guy with the original webpage turns it over to someone else 7 months before any other sites come about. You can also use the waybackmachine to see that Navicache wasn't even involved in listing caches in the beginning. As a matter of fact, it wasn't accepting cache listing until a full year after geocaching.com took over Mike's site. Early copies of navicache send people to geocaching.com to look up caches.

Hmmmmm.... Seems like not only was it the official site, it was the ONLY site for quite some time. Geocaching.com listed more new caches within 100 miles of me in the last few weeks then navicache has in the last 2.5yrs. That officially kicks butt! :D

Edited by Mopar