"official" Geocaching Site?

BTW,

Just for the record,

I am the official geocaching.com sept1c_tank.  :D  :D

When was the last time you were officially pumped? :lol:

The last time I was "officially" pumped was the last time I was in the statue of liberty. :huh::D

:D Now that's a mental image I could have done without.... I don't even want to think about the size ..... you must have needed for that! :D

:D  Does anyone know for sure if these forums are official???

Well official chat is at 8:30 CST tonight and since the forums are on the official site and list the official chat, the forums must also officially be official. Or is that unofficially official? I don't know, all I know is that ticks are everywhere this year, I see log after log mentioning them. I bet they will be discussed in official chat too. :huh:

But only the official link to the discussion group that is linked to this site. There may be others that are linked to other sites.

Don't get me wrong, the folks at GC have put in the most work, have the biggest site and the most caches referenced. By default that makes them the central authority on the geocaches they reference. Is it really the "official site", for my 2 cents, yeah probably, but not exclusively. If one of the other sites persuaded people to move their cache listings and use their forums, then they could be the official site.

Travellers.com and Geolutins.com are also traveller listing sites (BTW: Thanks for reacting so positively to the geolutin at the CITO, I almost had DTHT interested... :lol: ) They are not the official site as they have not caught on. Should they catch on, then they would be the official travellers site and not GC.com.

The official tag comes from out working and out selling the competition to such a degree that the users of the service come to see this site AS the defacto Official Site. Just as I will (by all indications) be the Official US repository of geolutins...

There have been a few reasonable responses to my post(s) (you know who you are - thank you for being serious, even if we disagree) and a lot of silly ones.

I stand by what I said and know that the majority of you feel that I'm overreacting and/or that my position isn't justified. That's fine - it's a free country.

I'm known among my friends and family as being very passionate about some things, at times taking things to the extreme. There's nothing wrong with that. In order to change something, extremism is often required. Heck, this country was founded by a bunch of extremists...

I've seen a few replies to this topic which suggest that there's others who agree with me (at least in principle). If that's the case, then maybe I'm on to something and I'm not just a crackpot trolling the forums for attention... although I know that it would be easier for a lot of you to simply dismiss my post than to actually think about it and agree that I might have a point ("can't rock the boat, we might fall out").

Anyhow, I have to get back to work... Maybe I'll even have lunch today. :D I'll check on this thread in a while, but I think my point's been made and that the majority of different opinions on the matter have been voiced, so I'll likely close it down by this evening.

the folks at GC have put in the most work, have the biggest site and the most caches referenced. By default that makes them the central authority on the geocaches they reference.

So, by your logic, if I started a website which provided the largest database of, for example, postal codes, it would be the "official" postal code resource. Since it's the official resource, I would then be able to start changing the codes, reorganizing them as I saw fit, right? "Nope, don't like those pesky 9-digit codes. We're going to a 7-digit instead..." "Why aren't these people using english? No more of those funny characters for these asian countries!"...

I would like to take this opportunity to re-introduce TEAM 360 as an "Officially Sanctioned Geocaching Team"....  :lol:

OR, the 'NEW & IMPROVED, OFFICIALLY SANCTIONED GEOCACHING TEAM'? :huh::D:D

Don't you mean: "WORLD'S GREATEST 'NEW & IMPROVED, OFFICIALLY SANCTIONED GEOCACHING TEAM"?

[snip...so I'll likely close it down by this evening.[/snip]

...or, you could always retitle it: "Abject silliness II" :lol:

Now, there IS a great idea....

We were thinking the 'Abject Silliness' thread should be archived like the number #1 locationless 'Yellow Jeep'. You cannot just start at the beginning anymore & read thru them without a month's vacation. :D

Anyone for starting a 'New & Improved, Abject Silliness' thread???

Shirley~

[snip...so I'll likely close it down by this evening.[/snip]

...or, you could always retitle it: "Abject silliness II" :lol:

Now, there IS a great idea....

We were thinking the 'Abject Silliness' thread should be archived like the number #1 locationless 'Yellow Jeep'. You cannot just start at the beginning anymore & read thru them without a month's vacation. :D

Anyone for starting a 'New & Improved, Abject Silliness' thread???

Shirley~

Come on people, get with the program, that should read" THE WORLD'S GREATEST New & Improved, Abject Silliness" thread!

Okay, here's a serious reply.

The claim to "official (fill in the blank)" has two different meanings in our culture. Though you have dismissed many of the responses thus far as not being serious (and that's understandable), they also make a point.

Sure, one use of "official ___" means OFFICIAL, as in, legally registered, with court-backed authority.

The other use of "official ____", however, cannot be denied, and that is as the "best ____" or the "biggest ____" or the "most well-known ____". IE We have a Jack Daniels billboard in town that claims they are the official beverage of anything unofficial. :D

So, by your logic, if I started a website which provided the largest database of, for example, postal codes, it would be the "official" postal code resource. Since it's the official resource, I would then be able to start changing the codes, reorganizing them as I saw fit, right? "Nope, don't like those pesky 9-digit codes. We're going to a 7-digit instead..." "Why aren't these people using english? No more of those funny characters for these asian countries!"...

this crosses the two. Unless, of course, you are claiming to be the official (as in legally registered, with court-backed authority) determinate of the use of the word of official. (please take that with the tongue and cheek tone with which it was intended.) :lol:

the folks at GC have put in the most work, have the biggest site and the most caches referenced.  By default that makes them the central authority on the geocaches they reference.

Actually, that is a poor example. You would have to get your data from them. To keep up, you would have to check with them daily to make sure they did not make any changes. They make changes all the time. My home zip code change about two years after I moved in. Good luck keeping up. The site in your example already exist at www.usps.com. You can make whatever changes you want, but since they are the biggest and are recognized internationally, any code changes you would make would have to be considered by them. The Postal Service got it together first, they do the best job (note that I said best though it is not perfect) and have earned the reputation as the "official" site for postal codes (sort of like geocaching.com huh). If you can be innovative and make a revolutionary postal discovery to streamline the system, then you might sway the global community eventually. Once again, good luck to you.

By the way, even competitors like FedEx and UPS use the USPS zip codes. There is a good reason for that. In their current form they work exceptionally well.

:o

With that said:

JC-Sweetwater.jpg

:D:D:lol:

...Well official chat is at 8:30 CST tonight and since the forums are on the official site and list the official chat, the forums must also officially be official. Or is that unofficially official? I don't know, all I know is that ticks are everywhere this year, I see log after log mentioning them. I bet they will be discussed in official chat too. :D

Would that be the unaffiliated official chat? How can you have that?

ClayJar's Geocaching Chat

ClayJar's scheduled chat is every Monday at 8:30 CST. For IRC users you can point your client to irc.slashnet.org port 6667, channel #Geocache

Note: Groundspeak does not host or maintain this service.

Back on topic:

Rule one of being official before there is an authority to sanction offical. Be what you are trying to be. GC.com has no choice but to self proclaim if they are going to play it smart.

I considered posting this in the gc.com website forum but believe it belongs here, as it has nothing to do with the functionality of the site.

The title of the home page for geocaching.com is "Geocaching - The Official Global GPS Cache Hunt Site." Says who? I don't know of any association or government agency that even has the authority to designate any one site as the "official" geocaching site, so it appears that TPTB have taken it upon themselves to make that designation.

This is certainly the most popular caching site, but it's not the only one. Promoting it as the "official" online home of the the game is misleading and just plain false.

I suggest that they remove that designation from the title of the home page and anywhere else it appears.

Three words: crack is whack.

:o I live in Reno Nevada, "the biggest little city in the world".  Now he has me wondering.  Is Reno the biggest little city, or just a small big city?  At any rate, its time I started a campaign to have the city remove that title.

While I am at it, I will ask that Gilroy California, "the garlic captial of the world" do the same until it is actually designated by some entity that it is.

Why is Pennsylvania the keystone state?  They just made my list.

British Columbia, Canada has  "Beautiful British Columbia" on their license plates.  Who said it was beautiful?  They now just made the list.

Sears is "Americas number one tool store".  Who said.  Man that bugs me.  I think they should take that title off everything they print.  If not I will call them as well.

Great idea!

I’ll join you as soon as I’m done with the “New AND Improved” protest.

Every time I see THAT phrase on a dog food package I gotta wonder who decided that? Now BOT-is the OP the same one who has started the really annoyng king of beers vs. president of beers ad campaign? :D:lol:

I say we have a poll to decide this one way or another. Vote for the official site, simultaneously on Geocaching, Navicaching, and, uh, well, uh ... what are the others? Winner takes the title "Official." Somebody else do it though, because I'm really just too lazy today.

I think you should be more worried that Budweiser says they are the "King of Beers". Clearly that's false. "King of Watered Down Beer Like Substance" is more like it.

I have to disagree with your summation. When good taste overrides popularity then we’ll see the words ‘American’ and ‘Cuisine” in the same sentence.

And that’s coming from a current rice drinker

I considered posting this in the gc.com website forum but believe it belongs here, as it has nothing to do with the functionality of the site.

The title of the home page for geocaching.com is "Geocaching - The Official Global GPS Cache Hunt Site." Says who? I don't know of any association or government agency that even has the authority to designate any one site as the "official" geocaching site, so it appears that TPTB have taken it upon themselves to make that designation.

This is certainly the most popular caching site, but it's not the only one. Promoting it as the "official" online home of the the game is misleading and just plain false.

I suggest that they remove that designation from the title of the home page and anywhere else it appears.

Who said that you are the official authority allowed to tell them they can't ?

:D

'Nuff said

I think you should be more worried that Budweiser says they are the "King of Beers".  Clearly that's false. "King of Watered Down Beer Like Substance" is more like it.

I have to disagree with your summation. When good taste overrides popularity then we’ll see the words ‘American’ and ‘Cuisine” in the same sentence.

... although I know that it would be easier for a lot of you to simply dismiss my post than to actually think about it and agree that I might have a point ("can't rock the boat, we might fall out")...

That statement itself is at least as dismissive as all of the wisecracks, while at the same time it's also presumptuous and insulting.

Well done! :D

I think you should be more worried that Budweiser says they are the "King of Beers".  Clearly that's false. "King of Watered Down Beer Like Substance" is more like it.

Okay, let me explain it this way:

Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public.

-Henry Louis Mencken

Oh, and Budweiser includes rice in its process.

Edited by Elf Danach