Upgrade Advice

I am thinking about upgrading my GPS unit sometime soon, mostly to get a WAAS enabled unit. Currently I use a Magellen 315.

One of the features that I really like about my Magellen is that on the compass screen, it displays the position of the sun and moon, since you can plot a more accurate course than one based on the motion of the GPS unit. I've been looking through the manuals on the Garmin website, and I haven't seen any mention of a similar feature - do Garmin units have this?

I am thinking about upgrading my GPS unit sometime soon, mostly to get a WAAS enabled unit. Currently I use a Magellen 315.

One of the features that I really like about my Magellen is that on the compass screen, it displays the position of the sun and moon, since you can plot a more accurate course than one based on the motion of the GPS unit. I've been looking through the manuals on the Garmin website, and I haven't seen any mention of a similar feature - do Garmin units have this?

That is a pretty cool feature. Most GPS's will give you a bearing which you can use when your not moving as long as you have a compass.

I just got a foretrex 201 and I really like it. You probably need to define a few more of the features you'd like before others could come up with recomendations.

Stuff like-

Color

mapping (amount of memory)

electronic compass(makes the sun/moon thing not necessary)

waas

budget range

The 60C/S has this feature (well, sort of). In the photo below - the upper left screen shot shows the satellite page. If you look at the top of the outer circle (North), you'll see a little ball with a red circle in the center. That indicates the last known direction of movement. Then the center screen-shot shows the Sun & Moon page indicating the relationship between the two relative to the compass rose. I've never been disoriented with my 60C :D

b223b17f-fe91-4958-93d4-8904e0d7a440.jpg

Edited by Neo_Geo