Stealing Caches

Lately alot of cahes in our town have been abused and taken away, this happened to 2 of mine, one brand new the other not so much.

Have any of your caches suddenly just disapeared or somebody elses?

Maybe a lot in one area maybe

I hate it when i have to replace caches :D:)

I've only run across one cache location that I'm sure was muggled. People are just scumbags, what can I say? Either someone is on some high horse about the environment or they just think it's fun to make little kids cry. Who knows? Either way, you just gotta hope they get bored.

Or caught on video and their face plastered all over GC.com... :)

If you're concerned that they are being taken by someone other than muggles who happen on them by chance (ie. someone who accesses the coords on GC, aka pirates), I suggest making the coords part of a puzzle or offset, or make it a multi with unremovable stages leading to the final cache. The nature of slugs seems to be that their determination to ruin a cache doesn't run as deep as a cachers desire to find a cache when the cache is challenging. My opinion.

Topic: yes, I have had a cache vanish, but it was in a high traffic area, and I suspect simple muggling. My solution--replace the cache in a less well-traveled location. My personal new rule of thumb for cache placement is: If I wouldn't leave my gps device there for fear of theft, I won't leave a cache.

EDIT: cacher's

Edited by Toron

I wonder if members only caches have the same plundered rate.

And no, I am not trying to introduce the debate members only vs free spirits. (I am still a confirmed freeloader) Just curious if the members only restriction has an impact. What about it NightStalker? Any insight there?

That reminds me of a question that I have been meaning to ask....Do caches turn up missing or riffled through more frequently during the summer months (when lots of youngsters are out exploring the world, and may stuble across them)?

Edited by Neos2
That reminds me of a question that I have been meaning to ask....Do caches turn up missing or riffled through more frequently during the summer months (when lots of youngsters are out exploring the world, and may stuble across them)?

There is probably some seasonal variability, depending on where you are. It's probably hard to plunder a cache in Montana when it's buried under six feet of snow, but here in Southern California it probably wouldn't make much difference.

Easter weekend seems to be a popular weekend for caches easily hidden in bushes at public parks to disappear... :P

not in our city. they usually happen anytime.If a lot of caches started to disapear alot in one season or something each year id just disable my caches for that time and when the muggling spree is over i'd put the caches back out

Please let me catch you in the process of stealing my caches. Ex police officer, through two police academies, from a family of cops, concealed weapons permit. Remember=no witness equals no crime

You know they say all cops want to be fireman, and fireman want to be cops. :blink: