Caches filled with trash

Huntnlady

I am just new to this, and maybe you will say I am missing the point of geocaching, but I find it really discouraging when I look in a cache and it is filled with so-called toys that are nothing more than trash.

Personally, I have been putting my signature authentic Indian obsidian arrowheads into caches, and I know that the tooth fairy always puts a platic tooth of dental floss, and the tennis lady always leaves a tennis ball; and I think those signature items are neat, but a couple of stickers, or plastic bats, or sponges are not a fair trade for those things, in my opinion.

Yeah, I'm glad I found it, but leave me something in the box that I would want to give up an arrowhead for, please!

Early to bed, early to rise,

Hunt all day and make up lies.

Unfortunately you will see this wherever you go. I have come to expect this and be surprised if there is anything desirable in a cache. Most of the time I put my signature item (a Kennedy half dollar) in a cache and possibly something to improve the cache. I figure that the reward is actually finding the cache.

Lost? Keep going. You're making good time anyway!!

For me it's not really about the stuff in the cache it's the hunt for the cache. I spend my days on computers, I spend my nights on computers, it's the one time that I can get outside and play with a computer. The "trash" on the inside is just for goofy fun (for me anyway.) The more stupid an item is the more I like it, I'm a big fan of the little green army guys. I guess if you don't like the trade take/leave nothing. There is no rule that you have to leave your stuff.

Just my 2 cents,

Paul

Happy Caching icon_biggrin.gif

I rarely take anything. Mostly it is my daughter.

Regardless, I leave a silver coin. A Walker half dollar if the cache may get plundered or has nothing much, a Morgan or Peace dollar if there is something neat, or if the cache needs some real help.

And now, I'll be adding my signature buttons.

I would say 9 out of 10 are "took nothing, left silver coin..."

DustyJacket

Not all those that wander are lost. But in my case... icon_biggrin.gif

Dusty, that seems like pretty expensive stuff. I'm not a coin collector or anything, but I'd never heard of any of the three coins you mentioned, so I did some quick googling.

The Walker seems reasonable at $4-5 for "fine" or "very fine" to start, but the Morgan or Peace dollars could add up pretty quick, according to what I'm seeing online. Do you buy those coins or are you just getting rid of a collection?

Not to be obtuse, but that seems like the other end of the universe from a busted McToy.

-Vb

Thanks for the replys. Too bad this has turned out to be a problem in general. I am kind of discouraged because I am planning on planting my own cache on BLM land, and I have already spent almost $25. on the container and supplies to stuff it with. It is all outdoor-oriented stuff, like a pen knife, flashlight, etc. I am just waiting on delivery of my first GPS in order to plant it. However, I was chagrined at the thought of turning someone on to my secret secluded hunting spot only to have them trade a sticker for a flashlight. What are your experiences?

quote:
Originally posted by Verboten:

Dusty, that seems like pretty expensive stuff.

-Vb

Nope. I do web pages for a coin dealer. He got me well circulated Liberty Walking half dollars for $1.24 to $1.75 and circulated, common date Morgan and Peace dollars for around $6 each.

This gives me versatility. I like spreading items people may actually want.

(I also have some nearly worthless foreign coins I've put into packets for some caches.)

PS - I am unloading my collection, but that is happening on eBay - I need to get something back for all I've spent over the years.

DustyJacket

Huntnlady :

The problem you are talking about seems to be wide spread as Red and I have hunted in four states now - hoping for a lot more real soon - and the trash trend is every where.

We have also have been leaving arrowhead chunks - not good points at all, just bases and tips - and people are grabbing them right and left. I have access to a couple hundred pounds of the chunks so it is no big deal to me about putting them out.

As for Red and myself, We put into a cache what we feel the hunt deserves, not by what we find in the containers. If someone else wants to trade for our item with something real cheesey, so be it.

Just remember;

We - you and Us - will make our statement by leaveing what we feel the cache deserves, and feel good in that choice, they will make their statement in their own way.

logscaler.

That's cool. The prices I was seeing were in the $15-30 plus range for the Morgan and Peace dollars.

Seemed kind of hard to trade up or even at that level. Anyway, I have yet to log my first cache (GPSr should arrive on Thursday!) but I fully intend to not leave crap.

I've actually been looking for something that I could buy in bulk that is useful and in the same price range as that. So far, I'm thinking semi-decent flashlights or compasses. Any other ideas are welcome.

-Vb

I still have some of my original stock of goodies: micro-mini flashlights, compass keychains, survival whistles/compasses, and other outdoors stuff. All in the $3 to $5 range obtained when looking at Cabelas' sales bins, and the sporting goods stores nearby.

I also got some GPS bateries (not great quality but they'll do in an emergency) and rope watches and a few other things at the dollar store. I was hoping to get some yo-yos there, for kids.

DustyJacket

just remember that what's cheesy to you is someone else's trasure. i had an educational experience recently with trying to introduce the concept of trading even or up with some young men.

i told them to think of something that's worth the prize to them and bless their hearts, they went home and thought of the best thing they could: one brought a metal star, one brought a pressed penny his granparents gave him, and one brought two pennies. they were the lucky ones that he'd been carrying for a year. ne of them wanted to trade the paper with the best grade he'd ever gotten.

i don't think you could make the same case for a candy bar wrapper, but sometimes it's more of a tribute of honor than cash value.

it doesn't matter if you get to camp at one or at six. dinner is still at six.

I look at the trade goods as a type of gift. Cost doesn't matter as much as the thought that went into it. I agree that some things just shouldn't be put in the cache, not because they are cheap, but because they won't withstand the conditions in the cache. Stickers come loose from their backing, bandaids get mangled and torn, play money gets wet, some items are just so fragile that they break. I would rather find a McToy in good condition than a broken ceramic figurine.

We've also got to remember that there are children out there. They would get more excited by a plastic dinosaur that was 10/$1 than a penknife that cost $10.

I have placed one cache so far. My cost for that cache was under a dollar. I just happened to have everything that I needed, except the notebook, in my apartment. The cost for my second cache will be under $10, mainly for the container.

Don't misunderstand me, I do agree that a lot of trash ends up in the caches. And I would like to spend more money if I could. But please don't confuse 'inexpensive' with 'trash'.

I carry an assortment of trade goods with me, and always try leave more value than I find. If a cache is depleted, I will leave more than one item. But I always take something. To me that's part of the game.

By the way, I still have everything that I ever took out of a cache. My 'collection' is in a glass display case that I proudly show people when they visit. Most of my visitors just nod and smile with a glassy look in their eyes.

RichardMoore

What is the worth of anything

But for the happiness 'twill bring?

R.O. Cambridge, Learning

www.geocities.com/richardsrunaway

I don't think I've ever found a cache with something I would WANT to trade for (signature items, etc). Our daughter, who is 4, is happy with McToys and similar, so when we find one with some "treasure" in it she's encouraged to continue caching. Most caches have trash in them that even she's not interested in, and she gets discouraged. I'll usually leave something anyway even if we don't take. Trash is rusty batteries and other items that aren't designed for outdoor storage (this includes a lot of things, caches get hot and damp), dice, spare change (not collector coins)...

[This message was edited by brad.32 on April 01, 2003 at 07:10 AM.]

Sunday we found a cache that had what may have a packet of barbeque sauce that exploded all over the inside of a zip lock bag holding all the cache goodies.

Yuck!

Why do people leave katshup packets and so on. I'd reather they leave nothing, than to leave their trash. (literal trash).

DustyJacket

For most of us, its the hunt and not what's in the cache that is important. But for neophytes and people who hunt with their kids, the contents can be important. Keeping that in mind, I try to stock my caches with useful, or interesting items, usually new and still in their original packaging.

But I find I have to check my caches every few months because people leave absolute garbage in them. I found a single, dirty, toy soldier in a cache of mine yesterday. Heck a bag of new ones cost about $1. Why not leave that instead?

A partial list of stuff that I've cleaned out of my caches includes: a single Lifesaver candy, a USED metrocard, dirty and rusty key rings, tampons (new fortunately), beer bottle caps, a tattered baseball card, a half used stack of Post-it's, countless obviously used, or broken toy figurines (i.e. McToys), a key (to what I don't know), a filthy diaper cover, dead batteries, ticket stubs to sporting events and the ubiquitious dirty golfballs.

I don't think anybody expects to get rich from the contents of a cache, but if you're gonna trade, it doesn't cost a fortune to trade something decent.

"An appeaser is one who keeps feeding a crocodile-hoping it will eat him last" -Winston Churchill

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on April 01, 2003 at 09:21 AM.]

You are at stage two.

Stage one was, "This is sooo cool!"

Stage two is "what are these other morons doing"

when they trade down, trash the area etc.

Stage three is when you either quit, or get over being disapointed by the morons you noticed in stage two and get back to enjoying the hike, trading up for its own sake, or join the TNLNSL crowd.

It's up to you. The morons won't go away.

Wherever you go there you are.

Improve Them!

I keep a bag full of assorted goodies in my backpack. Take it to all the caches. Mostly nickle/dime store stuff that my kids pick out. Party stores have great little games and such that Kids LOVE. I let the kids pick and trade up for the little things they take.

When I come to a cache that is in need of some help I always toss in a few extra goodies. I have keychains and all sorts of things to help improve rather than degrade the cache I visit.

--

SpongeRob

rwmech@keenpeople.com

www.keenpeople.com

WPWU826

Cache'n Retrievers

crlogo.gif

icon_biggrin.gif I believe the Knight has it right on. icon_biggrin.gif

Mostly that part about morons not going away.

If you let them upset you over nickel and dime stuff, then they are controling you kinda cheaply. Heck, my boss can't control me with wages so those morons have no chance.

They still tick me off but I try and one up them by taking their crap out, throwing it into a garbage bag and replacing thier crud with good stuff and not saying anything about it.

Any more anyway. I used to throw rigging fits but all that got was me tired.

logscaler.

quote:
Originally posted by Huntnlady:

I am just new to this, and maybe you will say I am missing the point of geocaching, but I find it really discouraging when I look in a cache and it is filled with so-called toys that are nothing more than trash.

Personally, I have been putting my signature authentic Indian obsidian arrowheads into caches, and I know that the tooth fairy always puts a platic tooth of dental floss, and the tennis lady always leaves a tennis ball; and I think those signature items are neat, but a couple of stickers, or plastic bats, or sponges are not a fair trade for those things, in my opinion.

Yeah, I'm glad I found it, but leave me something in the box that I would want to give up an arrowhead for, please!

Here's the trick I've found helps me with this. Instead of thinking of it as a trade, I think of it as an opportunity to leave something behind. Bouncy balls. Whizzer whistles. Flashlights, glow sticks. Cool marbles, decks of cards, batteries. Plastic animals. Jelly Roll pens. I don't always leave something but I'm trying to slow down a bit so I'll focus more on leaving stuff.

And then, very occasionally, I'll take something. Not often, and only when something really, really appeals. Often I'll take something, have it for a while, then put it into a cache. I'm a sucker for Harry Potter Collectors stones and plastic whales - I don't want to *keep* them, just have them for a little while.

But focusing on leaving things frees me from feeling frustrated by the sense that other people aren't playing fair. If you focus on leaving something, then finding a cache that's got only the logbook inside is a really stellar chance to leave a bunch of stuff, not a disappointment.

In the end, you can't control other people's behavior, only your own. Focus on the part you control, and set expectations for yourself, but not others.

quote:
Originally posted by Kodak's4:

In the end, you can't control other people's behavior, only your own. Focus on the part you control, and set expectations for yourself, but not others.

That's really the bottom line.

... but then again can we influence what people think they might leave through education? Preaching to the choir.

... and "do unto others" comes to mind too.

I'm still new, only found 8 of the 10 hunts I've been on. I decided I'm not going to take anything, at least until I hide my first cache. I always leave something, a numbered guitar pick (my signature item) and lately I leave a Mini-Log book that fits an Altoids tin perfectly, hoping that more people will start mini caches with them, I like mini caches. I make the log books, and they take a bit of work.

Of the caches I've found, some had a lot of neat stuff and one had junk, most of the stuff would appeal to children, which I think is great. The enjoyment I get is getting off my but and seeing some pretty cool spots in my area.

I can say, if I found one of Huntnlady's arrowheads, I would take it, but I would leave something very nice in return.

If trees could scream, would we still cut them down?

Well, maybe if they screamed all the time, for no reason.

I've just started geocaching - I like the idea of leaving a signature item. I'm considering placing my first cache and thought of leaving a copy of a literary classic (anything from Moonfleet to The Wizard of Oz to Great Expectations). In the UK Penguin publish them new for about £1.50 each. I've considered making an entire 'library' cache on this basis (a book in for a book out) as this means people can keep a book to read for a bit before dropping it off in another cache later.

I guess this has been done before - needs a reasonable sized cache and waterproof bags for the books.

Renegade Knight says-

"You are at stage two.

Stage three is when you either quit, or get over being disapointed by the morons you noticed in stage two and get back to enjoying the hike, trading up for its own sake, or join the TNLNSL crowd.

It's up to you. The morons won't go away."

You forgot the last stage. When you are tired of fighting to get permission to place a cache or getting your caches confiscated (McDowell Sonoran Preserve, thank you very much) and are sick of the "junk" in caches, then you just go Benchmarking. No trashy toys, or used stuff, you don't have to re-hide it, and no rules about pocketknives, bla bla bla...

I think I am at that stage.

You know, I just posted on an older thread of similar nature.

I'm pretty new at this myself, but "trade up/trade even" isn't going to happen for the most part. The trick is to get into the mindset: If you put it out there, consider it gone. But consider how much FUN it will be!

For me, the biggest thrill is the hunt. I LOVE finding things, whether I take anything or not. So far I've taken a hatpin for a historic location, a "gun safety" magnet & another item. I always TRY to trade even, and leave a signature plastic frog in addition to other misc. items to spruce up the cache a bit. I'm going to put a few of my own caches out pretty soon, and I plan on trying to keep 'em up a bit.

I read that some of the "homeade" items are a good find, and I'm glad to hear that. I make all kinds of wooden toys & puzzles (in addition to frames, clocks, etc) for craft shows, and plan on putting a few of those out locally. Folks will know they're mine from the stamp on the bottom.

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

If everyone starts leaving "valuable" things in caches then non-geocaching people are probably more likely to loot the caches. Like many others, I could really care less what was in the cache. We like to geocache for the hunt and to just sign the logbook and put a little something about today's news in the log. We think it makes the log book the most valuable thing in the cache box (outside from its hidden location).

The "stupider" the stuff in the cache the better. We don't have kids but we sure do love the little green Army men and Spongebob stuff.

Opinions based on experiences with eTrex Vista...

quote:
Originally posted by Buttons Brigade:

If everyone starts leaving "valuable" things in caches then non-geocaching people are probably more likely to loot the caches.

Yikes. I hadn't thought of that. (Although in the really wide open caches that can be stumbled upon easily, I tend to not leave my silver coins.)

DustyJacket

After only 7 finds myself and seeing only crap in the caches, I decided only to log my finds and trade TB's from cache to cache. I will only leave my signature token of a rassberry garnett or two if it seems a fair trade.

I see why most of the hardcore wanna-be's want to be firstfinders.

I guess I must be weird. I relish in finding the worthless, tacky stuff and trading for it. Upon returning from my last outing, I notice my "loot" was:

1.) A floating star candle with the paint already peeling off. I can imagine what that was going to look like this summer in a metal box!

2.) A pen knife so rusted the blades won't even open.

3.) A used .38 caliber shell casing.

4.) A 1' diameter plastic seashell.

5.) A used container of silly putty.

6.) A 1943 steel penny - seriously rusted.

7.) A RR 'Operation Lifesaver' pin. Actually, this is a pretty nice pin, but it just struck me as humorous being there, because the cache was way too close to an active railroad track!

I display most of this kind of stuff on a corkboard. I dunno. The tackier, weirder, or more worthless it is, the more likely I am to grab it. It's just my way of showing to others that it's the hunt, not the stuff. Most often my signatures items I leave are a buffalo nickel and/or a mini screwdriver set. I've noticed in a few cache logs people have enjoyed a nail puzzle I made, so I'm probably going to whip up some more and start leaving them too.

Visit the Mississippi Geocaching Forum at

http://pub98.ezboard.com/bgeocachingms

My family is new at this also. I have a Seven yo daughter that thinks this is the coolest thing ever (well not as cool as her game cube) We use it as a reason to get outside. All (6) of the caches we have been to had something that she would like. Usually when we set off on a hunt we already have something to leave B4 we go. I have stopped on whim on my way home from somewere and scramble to find something to leave.

The best cache whe went to had Hot Wheels cars, Compass, Mini Flash Light, Batteries ect all in the orignal packaging "New stuff" all of these are under $2. I like the signature items idea it makes it seem like a collectable hunt.

We are going to make our own cache and it will be filled with things primarily for kids but all will be new items and I will keep an eye on the items left by others as to keep the cache worth visiting.

quote:

I went geocaching for the first time this weekend, and wasn't really motivated by the stuff in the cache...I think the fun is in the hunt! I don't think the point of getcaching is to get stuff...it's getting out into some fresh air, and the fun of the hunt! It was interesting to see all the little things people leave, from good camping stuff to cereal box toys, but something which looks like junk to you is a treasure to a child! Don't worry so much about the stuff and enjoy the hunt!

FS

Sorry FS, I just can agree with you. The hunt I really enjoy has the possibility (however remote,) of venison at the end of it. That is a real challenge; this is just a treasure hunt during the off season. Compared to something like an elk hunt, this is really easy stuff, if you really want to know the truth- no flames, please!

Why did you assume FS was drawing an analogy to actually hunting? He (she) was saying that the fun of *geocaching* is in the hunt. You come back and say no way man, the fun of elk hunting is in the venison. Geocaching is lame compared to elk hunting.

WTF?

I didn't say it very well. What FS said was, "I think the fun is in the hunt!" What I meant to say is that this isn't a hunt at all. Its way too easy. I truly enjoy big game hunting- always, whether it is pouring rain, over 100 degrees; whether my truck gets a flat tire or gets stuck, or even if I see no game, and yes, especially when I tag a magnificent animal. Having done all that, this little amusement cannot compare. FS was not making an analogy, and neither am I.

What on earth made you feel the need to point out that there are more difficult things than geocaching? Of course there are! I couldn't care less if you like to go kill big animals in downtown Chicago in freezing cold weather with one hand tied behind your back; it doesn't argue either way for whether or not people like to collect the geocache trinkets or just sign the logbook. You argument was pointless, illogical and misplaced.

quote:

I didn't say it very well. What FS said was, "I think the fun is in the hunt!" What I meant to say is that this isn't a hunt at all. Its way too easy. I truly enjoy big game hunting- always, whether it is pouring rain, over 100 degrees; whether my truck gets a flat tire or gets stuck, or even if I see no game, and yes, especially when I tag a magnificent animal. Having done all that, this little amusement cannot compare. FS was not making an analogy, and neither am I.

NO offense, but if you see this as a "little amusement" then why are you doing it? If it's really about the stuff you get, why not just take $2 and go to the store and buy what you want?

And ask some of the people whose posts I've read who searched for 45 minutes in one location and found nothing...I'm sure they'd definitely consdier this a 'hunt'!

FS - ::checking::...still a 'he'! icon_smile.gif

For my wife and I it has nothing to do with what we find it's just the fun of being out and about. For the most part we just sign the book and leave something small. If you don't like what is there siqn the book and leave. I don't see it as a hunt so much as a nature walk with a goal. The Goal is to walk to a location not to find stuff.

If you are not happy with what you are finding for the small amount of time it takes to find it then maybe this is not for you.

Okay, maybe it is not for me. Like I said, I am just new to this.

Renegade Knight said it best:

quote:

Maybe I will quit this sport when deer season opens, but I just planted my first cache and I have plans for four more, including a difficult 3/4. Until then, I want to leave a piece of myself and take away something to remind me of others in my area who I am getting to know through intriguing posts in the logs and the little trinkets they leave.

NOW CAN WE LET THIS POST DIE????

Hey, what the heck, I'll toss in my two cents (no, not litterally).

I've noticed this problem around my area too. I think I'll share my tactics.

At times, I've left VERY nice items in a cache. At one cache I left a Casio Databank watch. At others, I've left hand-made jewelry (made by my wife). At some, I leave nothing. I don't ever count on getting something good from a cache. Although, the clown nose with the blinking LEDs inside that I found at a cache last weekend went over big at work yesterday. icon_wink.gif I think the goofy stuff I get out of some of them are the most fun. Another example: I went to a local female-themed cache and found a pair of panties that had "Geocache This" embroidered on the crotch. Are they usefull to me? No. Were they worth carrying home for the laugh my wife and I got out of them? Oh, yeah!

Like others here, I work on computers by day, play on them by night and relax on the weekends by playing with my GPS and iPaq while hiking through the trees. I see my geocaching as a way for me to get some of that exercise stuff without having to try too hard. (Besides, this way, some of my electronics count as a hobby and I can convince my wife to let me spend more money on them.) icon_biggrin.gif

I'm gearing up to hide my first cache and I'll easily have over $25 worth of goodies in it when it goes out. Will I have people putting valuable items in it? Probably not. Will I have to occasionally go visit it and pack out a load of broken McDonald's toys and replace them with good stuff? Probably. I have an advantage here though: I work for a company that makes corporate logoed merchandise, and it's easy and cheap for me to pick up cool stuff to leave in caches. For those not so fortunate, you might try deciding on a "signature item" that you can acquire in bulk for lower prices. A suggestion that's already been in this thread, but worth repeating.

All in all, the hiking, the locations, the fun, and yes: the geekiness are what I'm in it for. The silly things I trade out of some caches are just an occasional bonus. icon_cool.gif

Stupidity cannot be cured with money, or through education, or by legislation. Stupidity is not a sin; the victim can't help being stupid. But stupidity is the only universal capital crime; the sentance is death, there is no appeal, and execution is carried out automatically and without pity. --Lazarus Long