Is It Possible To 'reserve' An Area?

I'm trying to get permission from the land owners/managers for a couple of caches and wondered if there was anything I can do to temporarily 'reserve' the locations while we are working things out.

Is this possible? If not, perhaps it should be something which is looked into. People are becoming much more concientious about getting permission and if someone else comes along and places a cache without permission while discussions are ongoing, this could affect the way landowners regard caching.

Tiffany

In other areas just submitting the cache listing but not yet requesting approval for the cache is a method of reserving a cache location. Where I've seen it used it bought some time though not as much time as I've seen some permmssion negotiations take.

How Lactodorum sees the reservations is the question though since he's one of the approvers who would work with it.

I spoke to Lactodorum before he went away to spend valuable reviewing time actually looking for lunchboxes. We came up with this idea. We think it would work but would value your feedback.

If you have a site that requires lengthy permission process the simplest thing is to get the co-ords of the site and then make up a cache page, as full as possible, and send it to us to review, emphasisng that you are waiting for permission.

We will then put it on hold.

Any one trying to place a cache near by would then come up on our screen as too close to a cache, albeit one that is not live yet.

We could then a) say it is too close to yours :D alert the new cache setter that they may need to seek special permission to place the cache.

When you have the required permission you can edit the cache page to completion and we can send it live, or if permission is not given we c an archive.

This would seem to be a satisfcatory process, the cache spot would be in fact reserved.

What do you all think????

Eckington

That sounds like a very good idea. As CT&J suggest, there should perhaps be a time limit, but renewable if progress is being made.

Also, bear in mind the possibility that someone else might find a way to bypass the long-winded permission process (inside contacts, for example), and get permission before the original cacher.

Also, bear in mind the possibility that someone else might find a way to bypass the long-winded permission process (inside contacts, for example), and get permission before the original cacher.

Yes, there should always be flexibilitiy and each submission should be judged on its own merits.

However, I am a little worried that, perhaps, "insider trading" could bump an exisiting cache submission.

Any one trying to place a cache near by would then come up on our screen as too close to a cache, albeit one that is not live yet.

Would that work ??

If I was negotiating with the conservators of Epping Forest for instance, the area covered is about 12 miles long - wherever I placed a dummy cache, new cache placements wouldn't show up as being too close (1/10th of mile ??) would they if they were a mile away ??

Just wondering.

Chris

We too are planning a series and it is taking time to track down who to ask permission before placing. I think we would trust Eckington and Lactodorum to hold our co-ordinates and not to trade on them. I think it sounds like a good plan with a reasonable time frame to get it all together.

If by some chance there are 2 people who want the same general locality then the powers that be could let each know and see if one or the other would be willing to move the .1 of a mile. :D

So far we have checked out 3 spots that were already in use but we didn't know it before we went. Such is life we will keep looking but after seeing the number of new caches over the weekend we had better move fast.

Edited by Mady

Would that work ??

If I was negotiating with the conservators of Epping Forest for instance, the area covered is about 12 miles long - wherever I placed a dummy cache, new cache placements wouldn't show up as being too close (1/10th of mile ??) would they if they were a mile away ??

Just wondering.

Chris

Yes, I can see that for blanket permission negotiation with owners of large areas it would not be much help, this would work for discrete caches.

However, as EF is so large, I don't think you could reserve the whole area, unless you had a VERY large lunchbox :D ...................... :lol::o