Gpxsonar V1.2.2 Beta Released For Pocket Pc 2003

Here's what's new in this release:

Bug Fix: Field notes were not saved when the 'Notes' column was hidden in the main cache list. This issue is now resolved.

New Feature: Added ability to auto-launch MSFT Pocket Street & Trips after exporting to a push-pins file if a S&T map exists with the same name.

New Feature: Added cache type, owner and ratings to S&T push-pin tags.

New Feature: S&T push-pin icons now represent the various cache types.

New Feature: Added the ability to categorize caches in the cache manager, making cache list more manageable.

New Feature: Added field notes deletion warning in field notes report filter dialog.

New Feature: Added support for exporting waypoints in MapTech MXF format.

Change: The 'Return' key on the keyboard is disabled in the text search dialog. The only way to close the dialog is through the ‘x’ in the right corner.

Change: Removed field notes report cancellation dialog.

Change: Changed "To Magellan Meridian" to "Magellan SD File" in the waypoint export menu.

The PPC 2002 version will follow shortly.

Please post your feedback & comments to this thread.

Regards,

-Fabien.

Update...

I forgot to mention one of the new features in v1.2.2:

When 'Actual Coordinates' are provided for a cache in the field notes, the waypoint export functions are aware of them and export the actual coordinates provided by the user instead of the original coordinates of the cache.

A typical use of this feature would be when you solve the final coordinates of a puzzle cache. You really want to map / navigate to the actual coords vs the posted coords.

Also, the PPC 2002 version is nearing completion and I should have it available on the GpxSonar site by this weekend.

-Fabien.

Alan2...

what's the filter selection use for?

Are you talking about the 'filter' icon at the bottom?

If you are then here's the explanation: that icon is active and clickable when you have filters active. It is a visual cue to let you know what the cache view is being filtered as well as a shortcut to get to the filters.

If there aren't any filters active, the icon is disabled at which point you can only reach the filters dialog through the menus.

Does that answer your question?

Edited by -=(GEO)=-

Something unusual I found after exporting a pushpin file for MS&T. On the map, I noticed that in the note field of caches whose most recent logs are 'no finds', the 'no find' date is being considerd the 'last found' date. Could be user error....it's been known to happen before once or twice. :D;)

Anyway, thanks for a wonderful product!! :lol:

kavuday...

On the map, I noticed that in the note field of caches whose most recent logs are 'no finds', the 'no find' date is being considerd the 'last found' date.

Good point.

Actually, the app simply uses the date of the last log. The last log can be of any type, it does not matter. I guess that in order to reflect that, the 'Last Found' column should be called 'Last Logged'. I'll fix that.

-Fabien.

Hey ya Geo,

Thanks for adding that feature to the "my caches" that I had requested. That's going to be a nice add on.

NOW.....Here we go again...

When I go out in the field and place a cache I use the "my caches" to enter some of the data. One thing is the name of the cache, the coords, a few notes and the diff/terr levels. After the cache has been submitted I now have the GC# that "I COULD" put in the program but there is no need since when I import the cache from my next query it's in there and that takes care of it.

PROBLEM. When I go to import the cache from my query it says it's already there (name of cache) and won't let me. Ok so now what? I would want it to import so I could get all the other info added to what I had done in the field, but I'm afraid it would wipe out the notes I made.

Solution???? Rename the name of the one I did in the field so I can import the one from my query but then my notes are in my original and not the imported..

Help!!!

Thanks

Alan2...

what's the filter selection use for?

Are you talking about the 'filter' icon at the bottom?

If you are then here's the explanation: that icon is active and clickable when you have filters active. It is a visual cue to let you know what the cache view is being filtered as well as a shortcut to get to the filters.

If there aren't any filters active, the icon is disabled at which point you can only reach the filters dialog through the menus.

Does that answer your question?

Not exactly. When, how and why use filters?

Tks Alan

Not exactly. When, how and why use filters?

Use the filters to "filter" out the type of information you are looking for. For instance.....suppose you want to find just the multi type caches in your query. First you would highlight the "Cache Types" filter then click "config" at the bottom. In that window you would uncheck all the boxes cept for the Multi-Stage Cache then "X" out, check the box next to "Cache Types" and hit "Apply" at the bottom.

Your list would be resorted showing only the Multi caches. The new icon at the bottom would then be lit up to show you have an active filter. Use that icon to get back to the filters window and uncheck the "Cache Types" then "Apply" to resort with your total list.

Wow that was a lot.... :ph34r:

Hope that helps.

Rosco...

Is there any way to move the caches I have in "my caches" into the individual catagories???

Of course. Do this:

1. Create whatever categories you need.

2. By default, the caches that you had already imported have a category set to <None>. Make sure that's selected in the drop down to see your former caches.

3. Pick a cache and edit it.

4. At the top of the properties page for the cache is the 'Category'. Edit that attribute and set it using the drop down list to any of the categories that you created in setp 1.

5. Close the cache properties dialog. The cache will disappear from the <None> list and will be only visible when you pick its new category.

Rosco...

Is there any way to move the caches I have in "my caches" into the individual catagories???

Of course. Do this:

1. Create whatever categories you need.

2. By default, the caches that you had already imported have a category set to <None>. Make sure that's selected in the drop down to see your former caches.

3. Pick a cache and edit it.

4. At the top of the properties page for the cache is the 'Category'. Edit that attribute and set it using the drop down list to any of the categories that you created in setp 1.

5. Close the cache properties dialog. The cache will disappear from the <None> list and will be only visible when you pick its new category.

Works great GEO. Thanks!!!!!!!!! :ph34r:

All you had to say was look for the new item in the editor.....eeheheh.

Rosco...

Solution???? Rename the name of the one I did in the field so I can import the one from my query but then my notes are in my original and not the imported..

Help!!!

I've got an easy solution but it requires some more coding on my end...

I have read throught he forums, but I don't see how to Synch the Field Notes tothe GC.Com site.

I have only recently subscribed to the GC site, so obviously I am not experienced with using the PocketPC as more than a PDF reader for clues. But I just wanted to thank Fabian for an amazing little program.

PS- I know the user manual still says version 1.1 Is there a new one on the way? Most of the features are self explanatory, but little things like uploading Field notes baffle me.

I have read throught he forums, but I don't see how to Synch the Field Notes tothe GC.Com site.

I have only recently subscribed to the GC site, so obviously I am not experienced with using the PocketPC as more than a PDF reader for clues. But I just wanted to thank Fabian for an amazing little program.

PS- I know the user manual still says version 1.1 Is there a new one on the way? Most of the features are self explanatory, but little things like uploading Field notes baffle me.

U can upload field notes???????????? Wow, I had no idea!

Rosco...

Help!!!

I've got an easy solution but it requires some more coding on my end...

As long as it's your end that's all that matters. :grin:

I can wait...... :mad:

Thanks Geo. Unless you think I am asking too much of the program or trying to do something that it wasn't intended to do.

Rosco...

Just found another quirk in the "My Caches" new feature. If you have a cache in one catagory and try to import it again to another it won't let you. Says it's already there.

It's not a quirk. It works just the way it's supposed to: the app does not allow you to import the same cache twice, regardless of its category. The category of a cache is an attribute of the cache, no the other way around.

As far as I'm concerned, it would not make sense to allow a cache with the same name and Id to be placed under different categories.

BMSquared...

I have read throught he forums, but I don't see how to Synch the Field Notes to the GC.Com site.

This feature has not been implemented yet but I've been itching to put it in from the day I started writing the app. This feature will be implemented when there's a clean way (through a well-defined web service) to interface with gc.com.

While it could be done now, I have no interest in playing catch-up everytime the gc.com site changes its cache log forms.

I know the user manual still says version 1.1 Is there a new one on the way?

Not yet. I'll get to it eventually. However, version 1.1 will be quite helpful even for v1.2.x.

Edited by -=(GEO)=-
Just found another quirk in the "My Caches" new feature. If you have a cache in one catagory and try to import it again to another it won't let you. Says it's already there.

It's not a quirk. It works just the way it's supposed to: the app does not allow you to import the same cache twice, regardless of its category. The category of a cache is an attribute of the cache, no the other way around.

As far as I'm concerned, it would not make sense to allow a cache with the same name and Id to be placed under different categories.

Geo,

Understood. It wouldn't make sence to have two entries. I was just trying to import from my gpx file into where they belong before deleting them from where they don't........Other wise I like the way it works other than the notes problem.

Thanks.

U can upload field notes???????????? Wow, I had no idea!

Umm - I don't think you can....

On another note - help/about comes up with a blank screen apart from the geocaching logo.

Wierd!

What version of GpxSonar? What PPC version?

if it told me that in the help/about information i'd tell you :(

it should be the latest beta 121 on pocketpc 2002. I'll confirm later this weekend when i actually have my pda to hand!

PS i'm still stuck on Crypto thingy ;-)

something weird happening on this post as i certainly didn't write my last post (just the bit quoted though).

Anyway - the file on the pocketpc is 1.12 M, dated 26/4/04. You don't get the option to view the properties of the file in explorer unless you copy it to the pc itself which I did. It comes up with version 1.2.1.1