Scrapping Geocaching?

I am an avid scrapbooker and my family loves to geocache, so I have been taking pictures of the caches that we've been on with plans to made a geocaching scrapbook. Has anyone else done this and have any ideas about organizing it and stuff to put in it?

Thanks,

Mom part of All4ofUs :lol:

Its funny that you mention this, because this was one of the ways I was able to get my wife out there on our first few caches. The idea of scrap-booking was exciting for her and she has started one. Now she is asking me when can we go on our next one, I need more pictures. We even got a new digital camera for just that reason....

I'm glad to see that others are scrapping for this great hobby. I use a huge binder and insert the printout of the cache. I add pics and my logs. I try to take something flat from the cache to add to my folder. I have many coins, small pins and patches and bookmarks.

I'm even starting a page with people's signature cards. I had fun making up a Christmas page for a winter event cache. I have another page with all the cachers we've met personally. I make FTF letters in bright colors to decorate the special pages where we found the cache first. i put these in with the order we find them.

Sometimes I enclose topo maps we use. Once we won a poker multi cache so I put cards with out winning hand, pics and info about the prize. It adds so much to the hobby and we have a nice keepsake to preserve the memories.

I plan to take my book to the event caches. People enjoy seeing what we had to say about finding thier cache and seeing pics.

I've only been scrapping since last summer but am deeply embedded in a scrap-forum now (have both of these open at the moment). For Christmas, I gave my husband and father gps's with 2way radios in them and some dry-box empty caches with info for them to hide later... today was out first day getting out there and trying it! Did it with our 3 young kids (kindergarten and under) and took a handful of pictures and plan to scan flattish traded items to use to embellish the pages...

I haven't decided if wew'll make a small r reg size album for caching but i think i am leaning towards 12x12.... been picking up some compass, map, flora and fauna stamps/brass stencils, nature themed embellishments (jolee's this and that, rebecca sowers, etc) and pressing flowers and leaves, etc. I'll also put some abbreviated pages about it in each ofo the kids' individual albums.

One neat approach would be to get the sage canvas albums that ac moore is now selling as a set fo a 12x12 and 6x6 for $10! use a 40-50% coupon on top of it even :lol: and now they sell them seperately... you can use the 12x12 for a more ccomprehensive album then the smaller one for caching alone... or as a gift album for someone you take along for occasional hunts.

Anyhow, next week I should have pictures developed from yesterday's fruitless hunt with sad faces at the end, then today's 2 cache finds and shotts of a turtle along the path between :P

well, the problem i see is how the caches are prey to the elements :D however... there are tons of online scrapbooking forums that coordinate swaps and you could easily set up a geocache theme swap thru them about.com's scrapbooking forum would be a good place to try....

or hold a cache event in a semi-public place indoors where everyone can come crop together and you could have people also bring page kits to swap or premade 6x6 pages... if you set up a way to be in touch with participants before hand you can take signups and say there's 10 families/people who want to swap pre-made pages, you each make 10 sets of the same pages so everyone gets one set of each participants' pages for a whole 6x6 theme album :) or at least 10 layouts worth :D i'd be glad to have you contact me if there are any flakers and make sets of any for you to distribute :D then you can mail me one of the extra sets :)

but it's probably easier to do a snail mail swap that you organize online if you can't get a big meet up, or to just go with swapping page kits at an event, saying not to bring more than 4-5 of the same page kit

now me, i'm ready to kick myself cause i went and placed the tb we found in a new cache before i remembered to get a high quality scan of it for our pages (sort of like rs fresh cuts, the flat 3-d elements).... how bad etiquette would it be to snatch it back up for a day? hehe i just wanted to be really good and release it as quickly as i could but further on its journey at the same time:)

I am soooo glad that I'm not the only one out there scrapping this. I am doing a 12 x 12 album for it with the cache description printed on a sidebar on the left hand side with our log and "mom's notes" on a sidebar on the right hand side. I will use 1-2 pages per cache depending on the pictures I have. There are some that we have no pictures for! :) It's been hard finding the accessories because everything seems aimed at camping/hiking, but I've been grabbing some of those to use parts of. I like the idea of compass paper so I'll have to keep my eyes open for that. The only other hard part is finding the time....most of our free time goes to geocaching! :D

hehe time, what is that? i usually try to do the scrapwork in the evenings or that tiny time slot when all three kids are in school. i did forget that in with nature i have tons of hiking related elements i've been collecting and camping related items. also, if you can hack it, you can make your own sketches with colored/watercolor pencils for the elements you like from pre-made sets that aren't totally applicable... i've made some camping page kits for myself and friends based on a combination of hiking/camping cut outs on the market and on photos of our tents/campers.

i am leaning towards having predominantly nature related pages for most cache finds since most will be on small hikes in our long sleeve/pant street clothes and rubber boots... but when there's a special history to a site i may download/scan trailmaps to alter and print portions of them on vellum/card stock for the related pages as well as printing historical information as part of the journalling and then may make/buy elements related to that information (like native american themed elements for a site historically linked to them, etc) or base it on a very cool item we traded for.

i will probably have layout pages for travelbugs we've found/left at a site, with our photos of it and info on where it's been, then later on where it goes after us.

all i know for sure is i can't wait to drop off my film and get at the first pages! have to take one more shot (with new camera batteries) to fill the last roll, then i'll have a page on our unsuccessful first hunt (tons of sad faces at the ends when i asked the kids to show me how they felt about not finding the treasure), the 3 successful hunts after and that travel bug :)

if i don't find time at home to scrap it, i have a friend that wants to go to a crop with me at a 'not so local' lss and they will be the top priority!

I've got a bunch of pages waiting to be done...lack of time and the kids' school albums are kinda getting in the way, but I think I'll make a real big effort tomorrow to get all the journaling and titles done and printed out so that I can start to assemble it. It's going to be a really simple album with the same format for each page/cache. We're lucky enough to have a digital camera and there's a machine at the local grocery store where I can take the flash card in and choose the pics and get them developed in 1 hour! :) A scrappers dream!

I've done a few geocaching pages to include in my or the kids' scrapbooks, and most especially in my caching buddy's book (which, if it were left up to him, would just be photos in a shoebox, of course). I'm not the most creative scrapbooker, but one thing that came out nicely was printing out the cache page after I'd logged it on the site and then cutting out my log and using it as the caption for the photo. I have one page where the log describes the beautiful Indian summer day we were having in town and how 50 miles away at the cache location (on top of a mountain) it was a white out blizzard! (Yes, wavydave got out and looked for the cache anyway). It would be fun to find a way to post those pages so everyone could not only read about the hunts but also see the visuals that go with them.

My wife makes a scrap book about anything our family does.. If we looked at it, we likely have it in a book somewhere..

I currently have over 700mb of images from geocaching. She makes me sit down and print them out once in awhile.. I dont feel bad as I explain to her that the ink for the printer has cost us alot more then the GPSr :lol:

We have 3 ring binders we use and create the pages in word normally. Then we can add any images however we choose and she gets to use those funky scissors to make them real odd :D

My wife makes a scrap book about anything our family does.. If we looked at it, we likely have it in a book somewhere..

I currently have over 700mb of images from geocaching. She makes me sit down and print them out once in awhile.. I dont feel bad as I explain to her that the ink for the printer has cost us alot more then the GPSr :D

We have 3 ring binders we use and create the pages in word normally. Then we can add any images however we choose and she gets to use those funky scissors to make them real odd :lol:

This just cracks me up! :o No offense, but I can tell you're a guy just from your post! I know my dh doesn't completely understand this obsession....ooops, I mean hobby but you sound a lot like him in that you support your wife. Thanks. The world needs good guys like you! We're lucky because in our town there is a digital machine so I can put my flash card in, choose which photos to print and then get them back in 1 hour. A scrappers dream and it saves wear & tear on the printer, plus it's cheaper. The more pictures I have done, the cheaper they are per pic. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one scrapping our adventures!

i'm still doing mostly film shots.... now it's getting about equal to do digital and actually less if you do a lotof bad film shots sicne you pay for the film and the developing... but i have a husband who likes to randomly delete everything off the computers and hide all the blank cds... not maliciously, just umm dare i? air-headedly hehe but it did mean we lost tons of our images and having nagatives he won't go near gives me an added sense of security....

i'm going to be soon revamping the "computer room" into a scrapping/craft/library since i've moved over to a laptop, hubby's computer is in the family room, and i'd rather have the kids playing on the computer in the room we watch tv in now that they do it on their own... so i can keep an eye on them and not lose all the software cds anymore!

at that point i'll commandeer my own stash of cds, etc and probably switch over to more digital images.... though if we do antoher 4 week roadtrip i think we'll be operating with film since that much digital storage ont he go could be rough without a lot of power, etc... i think we filled a whole photostorage box and then some last year! and nope haven't scrapped it all yet... just waiting til next school year when they all get to take a bus and spend more time at school, then i can play catch up... so for now just scrapping whatever i have the perfect inspiration/supplies for :rolleyes: and then working with the kids to have them scrap their own recent events :blink: even staged a dress up tea party for the girls during school break so they could have a mini crop with one of their best friends and use some items i made with some new stamp sets showing tea party foods

I went out collecting...umm, I mean shopping for supplies today and found some really cool embellishments at a store that is moving so they were 30% off today! I've got almost all of my journaling and titles done for the caches that we've done so far. Then I can just sit upstairs while the kids are doing homework and put the pages together. There always seems to be something else to do though. I'll have to work on saying "no"! ;-)

oh I love scrapbooking! I thought it would be a good way to combine both of our hobbies so I'm gearing up for a great bout of geo-scrapping. Haven't actually started it YET butI do have a plan...I'm using 12x12 and each cache gets it's own layout. I also decided to take signature items from each cache to put on each page as memorabilia.

I also like altered books. It's a good hobby. I used to work at a scrapbook store and that was just plain trouble. :lol:

I love scrapbooking as well, and have been taking pictures while caching. I haven't scrapped them yet because I'm six months behind in my album (I like to be chronological in my book). I don't have the time to make a page for every cache we've been to. I'll probably put some of my better pictures on one page or on a double-page layout for the season we were geo-caching in at the time. For the page, I would probably use the four colors of the logo on geocaching.com (i.e. yellow, green, blue, and orange). Any woodland stickers or die cuts would go cute on the pages. Instead of taking something from the cache area, I would probably spend more time on my pages journaling our experiences to make it more meaningful for us.

Also, I sometimes leave scrapbooking treats like cute scissors, paper punches, and little sticker kits as a trade item in a cache.

Also, I sometimes leave scrapbooking treats like cute scissors, paper punches, and little sticker kits as a trade item in a cache.

do you find they get snatched up? i'm just worried that if i put a paper punch/decorative scissors in that moisture would rust it if it stays there too long, same with paper products cause i sure wouldn't want something moldy in my albums, kwim?

there's still some awesome paper punches and brass stencils on clearance at the ac moore stores near me i think at the least i'd want to put them in their own ziplocks

I am a scrapping/ geocacher too. I am just starting to do some pages related to geocaching. Mostly for my milepost finds like 1st, 100th and 200th etc. I have seen several geocaching pages in national scrapbook magazines and a few on scrapbooking websites so I know more of us are out there! :lol:

It's great to know there are so many other people out there that have the same to obessions (Scrapping and Geocaching) as I do. I just started scrapping about 3 months ago and I just can't stop. My husband and I started GeoCaching little over a year ago, so I have some catching up to do.

While at a geocaching event I had the opportunity to admire someone else's work (Album) and they did a very interesting thing. I was concerned because there are many of our 124 finds that I do not have pictures of. What this Scrap/Cacher did was create small pinetrees and write the detail of caches they did not have pictures of and then do a page of those. Very cute.

I found an awesome album for our GeoCaching, its a leather cover with an eight point compass embossed on the front. I will probably have the further emboss with our Team name and home coordinates.

I am one of the lucky ladies, my husband fully supports my scrapping habit...I mean hobby. In fact he emailed me about this forum thread. Cool dude, lucky me.

Lady Lights of Lightpeople

<I found an awesome album for our GeoCaching, its a leather cover with an eight point compass embossed on the front. I will probably have the further emboss with our Team name and home coordinates.>

Where did you find the album? It sounds perfect!!!

<I am one of the lucky ladies, my husband fully supports my scrapping habit...I mean hobby.>

Mine too. And the kids love looking thru them.

Not having the faintest idea what a "creative memories consultant" was, but suspecting that was a grandiose name for a salesperson, I googled "creative memories" and found what seems to be the scrapbook in question. You don't seem to be able to order from their site, unfortunately, which is too bad since it looks great. Oh well.

(edit for typo)

Edited by Team Nazgul