Magellan Sporttrack Map Issues

What vesion of windblows are you using?

me

XP

Make Sure that you have an available COM PORT

find out in

Control Panel-System-Hardware-Device manager- PORTS *(PORT SETTINGS)

You need at least one COM PORT (If shared you need to dis-able the Progie using it or add a new PORT)

Make sure the settings (Bitrate)on the PC's com port are set to the same as the GPS unit *(PORT SETTINGS) default is 9600(Bitrate) set the GPS TO MAX(115200)(Bitrate) and set the COMPORT ON THE PC TO 115200(Bitrate).

if probs occure lower the bitrate to a lower #

Edited by Magellin

Thats the right plug :-)

ON GPS UNIT:

1)Go into the MENU-SETUP-Baud Rate

2)Check and set the BAUD RATE TO 115200.

ON PC :

START- Control Panel (click).

System (double click).

Pick (Hardware).

Then Pick "DEVICE MANAGER".

Find "PORTS (COM & LPT).

Double Click it.

Select "Communications Port (COM 1)"................ IF ITS INSTALLED!

Select "PORT SETTINGS".

Set BITS PER SEC TO THE SAME AS GPS UNIT!

I changed the baud rate to 9600 on both (I'm trying to upgrade my sportrack map with the 5.00 version and magellan's baud rate only goes up to 9600) and it still acts like it doesn't recognize my unit. I have unplugged all the other devices that could possibly cause a conflict to no avail. Still not working! :D

Com 1 Properties are set at

BPS 115200

Data Bits 8

Parity None

Stop Bits 1

Flow Control None

I set the Sportrack at the Baud 115200 also

When I click on STMapStd file and then click on Magup it then pulls up a screen asking if I want to update. I say yes and communications starts running but it doesn't stop on a Com port or a baud rate to initialize the upload.

ok try thisOn you GPS goto SETUP- NEMA

SET to V2.1GSA

ON PC goto START-Accessories then COMMUNICATION- HYPER TERMINAL

make new connection (called GPS) change nothing but the "Connect using:"

And select COM 1

Set the BIT RATE TO MATCH THE GPS

you should see NEMA DATA

GSV,3,3,10,27,05,295,,15,-2,108,,,,,,,,,*64

$PMGNST,05.12,3,F,522,04.4,-04009,20*5B

$GPGSV,3,1,10,01,71,317,,03,58,135,,16,51,025,,19,34,172,*7E

$GPGSV,3,2,10,31,30,185,,13,28,321,,20,26,231,,25,22,088,*7D

$GPGSV,3,3,10,27,05,295,,15,-2,108,,,,,,,,,*64

If you don't......................

well you could use a DVOM to check continuity through the wires and plug....

Edited by Magellin
It's telling me another device is using the COM1 (could be the issue).  How can I find out what it is?

If you have a palm or pocketPC then the sync utility is the most likely candidate (unless it uses USB). A crude but effective approach is to stop all applications that are running either by closing them or killing them in the task manager. Don't terminate the system components though :lol:

If you prefer finesse, you have two choices: either try to use PortMon (http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/portmon.shtml) which will show you when some process is actually doing serial i/o, or start Process Explorer (http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml) and find (Find->Find Handle) the process that uses "\Device\Serial0".

Doesn't your PC have a second COM port? You could also try using that...

I'd try shutting ActiveSync down as the first try. While disabling might be enough, if it's shut down you can be sure it's out of the picture. Right now you want to simplify what's happening on your system as much as possible to get your desired communication going.

Serial communications can be a real brain fry to sort out. Makes one appreciate USB.

Edited by embra

I have had the same problem with active Sync. It takes over the com port even when it isn't running. In order to disable it you need to find the active sync icon on the lower menu bar (the name of which escapes me for the moment). If you right click on the icon a menu should pop up. click on connection settings. Take check mark out of "Allow serial cable or infrared connection to this com port". I am using Windows NT so the process may be a little different for Windows XP, but somewhere you should be able to disable active sync's access to the com port and then I think you will not have anymore problems.

:)

Edited by Night Stalker

I have windows xp (home), meridian gps, and activesync (I have the newest version installed, but you may have 3.5). When I first got my Pocket PC activesync tied up the com port so a GPS could not be used. You have to disable activesync use of this port, I think you start the program with the pda pluged in, go to file-conection setting and unclick "allow serial or infrared connection to this port" (or change it to anotother port).

You may also try the newest version of activesync, you may not have as many problems with it.

Wyatt W.

Uh yeah, don't set your GPS to 115200 Baud, most programs don't work well at this setting (or at least don't support it-mapsend is one of those).