Idea for a "compass skill" cache

CompassCollector

I've been mulling over planting a cache, and thinking up ways to make it unique and interesting. One thing that comes to me is to make it some kind of a multi that forces the finder to use some basic compass skills, like triangulation.

For example: Stages 1 and 2 would be micros that contain azimuths only, and triangulate on stage 3. Stage 3 could be the 'real' cache or another micro with an azimuth + distance to the final.

Thoughts? too complex? Stupid idea?

OhNoMrBill (Bill Hudson, Gilroy CA)

quote:
Originally posted by SearchRescueDog:

I have thought of something like that. I plan to look to put it out this winter. My idea includes a map work though.

Yes! Exactly what I was thinking.

As prep for hunting the hunter would have to print out a map from topozone, and bring that. The first and second stations would contain azimuths and be located on or near landmarks on the topo map, and the triangulation would show them where to find the third, or something along those lines.

GPS-work, GPS to Map work, Compass work, compass to map work, and then a bit of a hike. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Touchstone:

Oh Noooo Mr. Bill! You live too close to me. I'll have to brush up on my compass skills.

Sounds like a great idea BTW.

Well, I hope it will work out. I think mapreading and navigating by compass is an important skill. I learned it when I was a kid, and it's something I have used often since then.

This is going to take me a while to set up. I think I have a suitable location, but I'm going to have to modify a map file by adding some landmarks that are not on the map, and I want it to be accurate, and easy enough for a young'n to do.

quote:
Originally posted by 9Key:

IMO, hiding a cache is more difficult than finding a cache.

So, So TRUE especially if one wishes to incorporate a compass into the Cache.

A lot of Cachers have forgotten or never known what that magnetic marvel is! Your compass will do it magnetically and everyone will want to know wheather its True or Mag. And that is another much hashed over Topic on these orums, mag or true. icon_confused.gif

Tahosa - Dweller of Mountain Tops.

True and Mag. North can be VERY DIFFERENT. Here, closer to the real pole and farther from the Mag. Pole, the declination is over 27 degrees!

I have found that the GPS's will give you what you ask for. Most people leave it on "True North" and I would suggest that you do that if most people are using the compass in the GPS. However, if you think most people will be using a compass separate from their GPS, go magnetic. Does that make sense icon_confused.gif?

My $0.02 worth ...

Northern Trekker

PS - I went on slightly different cache hunt that one could only do at night. The coordinates given lead one to an open field. From there one followed trees marked with single reflective markers into the woods. After about 0.15 miles one came upon a tree with two markers. At the base of that tree was the cache. Then one used the original coordinates to find their way back out. That was great - but watch out for wildlife icon_eek.gif!

Cheers, Northern Trekker

quote:
Originally posted by Northern Trekker:

True and Mag. North can be VERY DIFFERENT. Here, closer to the real pole and farther from the Mag. Pole, the declination is over 27 degrees!

I have found that the GPS's will give you what you ask for. Most people leave it on "True North" and I would suggest that you do that if most people are using the compass in the GPS. However, if you think most people will be using a compass separate from their GPS, go magnetic. Does that make sense icon_confused.gif?

My $0.02 worth ...

Northern Trekker

PS - I went on slightly different cache hunt that one could only do at night. The coordinates given lead one to an open field. From there one followed trees marked with single reflective markers into the woods. After about 0.15 miles one came upon a tree with two markers. At the base of that tree was the cache. Then one used the original coordinates to find their way back out. That was great - but watch out for wildlife icon_eek.gif!

Cheers, Northern Trekker

Thanks for the excellent input everybody.

What I *want* to do is to give coordinates for the first stage, and then have them put their GPS aside and use basic compass+map navigation skills (shooting and plotting bearings, using triangulation, finding a landmark and moving to it, etc) for the next stage(s). Sort of an 'orienteering cache'. I'm considering that this may be too tall an order, especially for my first cache, but I'll keep working on the idea.

No maps,

just a compass.

Only use the GPSr to get to the starting point from there you have to rely on your skills and clues.

Like a real old time treasure hunt,

Go to the ocatillo cactus w/a split on the right(A),at the coordinates given,from there pace 270 paces N 27 degrees(:),then you find a rock with a cross cut in it,from there you pace 430 vara's 277 degrees to a cave©..ect...

WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS

*GEOTRYAGAIN*

TAKE PRIDE IN AMERICA

http://www.doi.gov/news/front_current.html

1803-2003

"LOUSIANA PURCHASE"

http://www.lapurchase.org

"LEWIS AND CLARK EXPADITION"

http://lewisclark.geog.missouri.edu/index

Arkansas Missouri Geocachers Association

www.ARK-MO-Geocachers@yahoogroups.com

quote:
Originally posted by GEO*Trailblazer 1:

No maps,

just a compass.

Only use the GPSr to get to the starting point from there you have to rely on your skills and clues.

I agree, that sounds like quite a challenging cache too. However, I was thinking more along the lines of an educational cache, where the skills required to find the final are the compass & map skills I mentioned.

I'm eager to try it, but I'm not sure if it will work. I imagine the 'difficulty' rating would have to be high since it involves additional equipment (i.e., compass and map) and some special skills, which would be illustrated on a web-page associated with the cache.

I'm proceeding cautiously...

Not too challenging Lewis and Clark did it,as well as many others.

And many things are still placed that way.....to throw you for a curve.Thanks to all for the links as well.

I finally got logged in tonight.

WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS

*GEOTRYAGAIN*

TAKE PRIDE IN AMERICA

http://www.doi.gov/news/front_current.html

1803-2003

"LOUSIANA PURCHASE"

http://www.lapurchase.org

"LEWIS AND CLARK EXPADITION"

http://lewisclark.geog.missouri.edu/index

Arkansas Missouri Geocachers Association

www.ARK-MO-Geocachers@yahoogroups.com