Which Unit To Buy?

nod

Hi,

I searched the forums real quick, but didnt really see this topic, which surprised me (of course, I didnt spend a lot of time searching, so if this has been asked before, please forgive me).

I'm wanting to buy a new GPS but I don't have a lot of $$$.

So, I've kind of narrowed it down to the Garmin eTrex LEgend or the Magellan Sportrac Map.

They both seem like nice units. I like magellan a lot, but I really like the shape of the garmin etrex series.

Does one really perform better than the other? How's the UI on the garmin? I've used the Sportrac Pro before and it seemed simple to understand.

Anyways,

thanks!!

jeremy

i have another neighbor that we've gotten hooked on geocaching, and friday he went and bought the garmin etrex vista.

Very Nice. So anyways, shortly after I saw and played with that one, I placed my order for the garmin etrex. Magellan support had been so great and helpful in the past, and I hated to leave them, but I was just impressed with the size of the garin and the nice screen. The clicky little joystick on the front was pretty handy too.

I think if I were buying one for a boat or car, I'd go Magellan because all the buttons are on the front. But, I'm caching dangit! The garmin was really nice and just felt like it was designed with 1 hand use in mind, which is nice when I'm climbing through serious underbrush up a steep incline to find something.

Thanks everyone for the feedback and advice.

-nod

I'd go for the Legend. Very precise little unit that is easy to upgrade from when you're ready. Keep in mind though that Garmin eTrex's are not as durable as Magellan units when it comes to long-term operation. They have lots of known reliability issues.

As long as you take care of it though, you shouldn't have a problem. :D

Edited by vw_ev