When Found By Geomuggle

In urban park settings i like the clipboard, and throw on my engineering consulting jacket and start pacing around, flipping papers back and forth B) . Always grab the cache and move to another location for evaluation.

In the woods..... start babbling, and hitting you head.....Rain Man imitation :P . Actually kids are a dam good excuse ^_^ .

I was stumped when i hit a cache that had a USFS training activity in process. Lots of green trucks, lots of people, lots of tags on trees.... At first i ran away, then returned after 4:30, they had disappeared, but some returned. Should have brought the camo & nite googles :P

Busted while searching an immediate cache hide area for the quarry, I've had good luck with this: "It's an adult scavenger hunt game, don't worry, it's not as weird as it might look." If they're interested or recognize my device as a GPS, further discussion ensues, generally with positive results. (This is also when it pays that I'm still a "paper cacher" as opposed to a PDA Cacher...whipping out the printout is instant crediblity, seriously).

-Dave R. in Biloxi

This Saturday I was at a cache that had some clever camo, but was out in the open. It was on the side of a building, but could be from the sidewalk. I determined where it was and looked around to see if the coast was clear. Suddenly, an evangelical family comes down the sidewalk. I politely turned down their offers. Then the mother asks what I was doing- I had the oddly camoed cache in my hand!

I explained geocaching to them and showed them my GPSr. The mother called over her young daughter, who seemed really interested. The even asked how much they cost.

Maybe I converted them to Geocaching! :D

Edited by Wacka

I have only been found once(so far). My response to the individual who found me went something like this 'Well hello officer!' He asked me several questions but must have figured a grown man with a pen in one hand and GPSr in the other would not lie about why they were poking around in the brush. The officer ended up saying 'Bizzare' as he drove away. I like to think he was talking about me specifically and not the game.

This Saturday I was at a cache that had some clever camo, but was out in the open. It was on the side of a building, but could be from the sidewalk. I determined where it was and looked around to see if the coast was clear. Suddenly, an evangelical family comes down the sidewalk. I politely turned down their offers. Then the mother asks what I was doing- I had the oddly camoed cache in my hand!

I explained geocaching to them and showed them my GPSr. The mother called over her young daughter, who seemed really interested. The even asked how much they cost.

Maybe I converted them to Geocaching! :rolleyes:

did they convert you? :lol:

Perhaps getting a headset with a very obvious mic boom on it, and when they approach you look real concerned, press on the headset and say, "WE HAVE A CIVILIAN IN THE CONTAMINATED AREA, WE HAVE A CIVILIAN IN THE CONTAMINATED AREA!!!" Then procede to tell them top evacuate immediatly :):)

Just a thought.

A geocaching friend (male) and I were out logging a find in a cache some 100 feet off an old railway that was converted into a trail. We were visible, but not fully visible, from the trail.

Anyway as I get back up from replacing the cache, I notice a elderly couple standing on the trail looking at us. I don't know how long they were looking, but I could see that they thought that we were up to some hanky-panky.

As we got back to the car park (a 1 mile walk) the same couple was sitting in their car, which was parked right next to my car. We showed them our GPSr's and explained that we were geocachers and what geocaching meant.

Ciao

RooBoy

PS: This was the same geocaching trip that we were trailed by a East Dubuque police cruiser as we drove back to Iowa after finding a cache. We found safely and sanctuary back in Iowa. :lol:

Bring some wire clippers along.  When someone spots you with the ammo can... look stressed, wipe your brow and keep muttering "red or blue wire?...red... or..."

It also helps to wear a black T shirt with bold white lettering:

"BOMB SQUAD

If you see me running, try to keep up!"

If the muggles get too inquisitive, drop the box and run. :lol: