Waypoint Descriptions

For some reason, the waypoint descriptions on my eTrex Legend are stripped off.

For example, I used to download the waypoint and I can see the number (GC1234) and the description (BLACK_HILL_CACHE), with EasyGPS.

Then I'd just upload the set to the GPS receiver.

I've been taking the entire set from the Receiver and dumping it on to MapSource, so I can see a map as well as the caches, but for some reason, the descriptions are now stripped out by the receiver. It does the same thing with EasyGPS. Waypoints taken from the receiver have lost the description.

Is there a setting I screwed up? It hasn't always behaved in this manner.

TIA

Edited by Team XTerror

I've never seen the description field on my legend. However, if you use GSAK to upload you can set the waypoint name to something much more useful. I use the GC code (minus the letters GC), a letter indicating container type, and the first word or two of the cache title.

GSAK also allows you to change waypoint icons (if easygps does not) for cache type

I've never seen the description on the Legend either, but it still seemed to carry it. Transfers from the receiver to MapSource moved the description as well.

...BUT... now that you have me thinking about it. Maybe that was not the case. I used all the same software with a borrowed GPS V and that may have been how the descriptions were moved along with the waypoints. Maybe it's a capability that the GPS V has that the Legend does not.

Thanks for your help though. It's appreciated.

Why roundtrip this through the receiver to get it to Mapsource? Use GPSBabel, EasyMPS, or GSAK to put it there directly.

The Garmins do have a Note field that (at least to this guy that borrows Garmins but doesn't own one) is kind of inconvenient to find. Programs liek the ones above will usually put something sensible there, such as diff/terr/cache name. But displaying them on a Garmin usually takes a few extra (model-specific) steps.

The Legend has no description or note field, at least that is accessible on the unit. I have searched the manual, and there is no mention of it. Some models apparently do have it, but not the Legend. I use GSAK to export the waypoints to the GPS, using the Smart Name option. The Legend will accept 10 characters for the waypoint name, so you can get a name that gives you a good idea of the cache name.