Shorts (as In Short Pants Above The Knee)?

I'm sure this is markwelled somewhere, but my cursory search didn't find anything.

I don't normally cache during the summer months, and anything above 80 degrees is "getting pretty danged warm" to me - unless there's a lake or pool nearby. Unfortunately for me, I live in a suburb of Atlanta, GA - which means heat AND nasty humidity.

I like cold-weather caching, which means jeans. "Warm/Hot" weather caching to me means shorts - REI, Old Navy, Umbro whatever, but lack of material is a good thing in regards to heat. As such, I've been pulling ticks off me left and right recently - with or without bug spray.

I realize ticks are a necessary evil during summertime caching. What's been getting me lately is the abundance of barbed vines/weeds/etc that I've enountered. Granted, my legs aren't anything Betty Paige would own (no, i'm not that old, but man she had the gams!) due to multiple softball leagues, soccer leagues, hiking, whatever. They ain't pretty, but I don't like bleeding.

The problem I have is that I can't get myself to wear long pants even while I'm getting torn up - too frickin' hot. Outside of the obvious "watch where you're going", anyone got some hints/trade secrets they're willing to give up? Salves? rubs? anything?

ALWAYS wear shorts, whether it is 100 degrees, or 20 below with 4 feet of snow. Real men embrace the pain and do not miss the blood. It's also a thrill not knowing what lies beneath the snow, ready to tear up your legs as you plunge them in.

I mention snow because here winter lasts from September to June. It snowed again today.

Ticks are everywhere this year, I see log after log mentioning them.

I just bought some convertable pants. That way the legs can quickly go on and off as needed. They are also constructed of very lightwieght wicking fabric. So they can be good as long pants even when it is hot.

No lyme-bearing ticks in my neck of the Adirondacks yet...too cold

I wear shorts, and take my chances even when in other parts of the Northeast...I take a garlic tab every day, and believe it keeps ticks and black-flys and some people away :D .

nfa

Suck it up take the PAIN!! NO PAIN NO GAIN!!! :D

Go in shorts and get the geocaching scars from the thorns, sawgrass, PI etc...its all make a road map story of geocaching on your legs and arms!!!

Heck we have a few hides that are in the middle of Buckthorn just for that reason alone. :D

My grandma says, the quicker you clean a wound, the better it feels and the sooner it heals.

I take along a few wipes, bandaids and triple antibiotic ointment to take care of a cut, scratch or scrape as soon as possible. I'm thinking about carrying a small bottle of peroxide as well to aid in cleaning a wound. Some of those stickers and briars have oils that prolong the pain of a scratch. The sooner you get rid of the oil, the better the scratch feels. Hopefully the peroxide would help in getting rid of those oils. I haven't tried it yet.

Outside of wearing pants, that's probably the only thing you can do.

Snoogans is hard core!!!!! 

Do you cache with your eyes open?

~Mark

Ummmm, those legs belong to Sam, of UsMorrows. And yes, He's hard core. The cache was High Five by geowyz.

BTW- I ALWAYS wear pants.

Sn :D:D gans

Edited by Snoogans
My grandma says, the quicker you clean a wound, the better it feels and the sooner it heals.

I take along a few wipes, bandaids and triple antibiotic ointment to take care of a cut, scratch or scrape as soon as possible. I'm thinking about carrying a small bottle of peroxide as well to aid in cleaning a wound. Some of those stickers and briars have oils that prolong the pain of a scratch. The sooner you get rid of the oil, the better the scratch feels. Hopefully the peroxide would help in getting rid of those oils. I haven't tried it yet.

Outside of wearing pants, that's probably the only thing you can do.

True. However you do not get any cool scars that way.

If you look at my sign-up date, you will see that I have not cached during a summer. However, I did my very latest find in shorts, as I wasn't really sure whether I was going when I left home. I don't think I like it. Urban-type searches excepted, but those are very rare around here. Since I work construction, I can't wear shorts on the job anyway, no matter how hot it is, so I'm used to it.

As I often tell people, comfort is overrated. I am often not understood at all on this point.