Jeepin' And Cachin'?

I've always loved Jeeps and have loved reading about them. (The original jeeps were designed about an hour's jeep drive away from here) But we haven't owned one up until recently. We bought a used jeep cherokee solely for geocaching, house work, and minor offroading...

I'm in love, and I think I've found the brand I'll own the rest of my life...

Video framegrabe of my TJ at the Hollister offroad park:

TJHHgrab.jpg

My Jeep is my regular geocaching vehicle. I have the Garmin power cable hardwired and now that Mobile CX has the RAM 60C/CS cradle available, the mount and parts are on their way...

'95 Wrangler (YJ) 138,000 hard miles, all of it mine (well except the 6 it came from the showroom with B) )

An offroad park is a park that is specifically set aside for offroading. There was one in Klamath Falls (oregon) that had a section just for offroading. It had a mud bog, hill climbs a couple trails. Nothing too wild but could prove to be fun for a newbie.

Edited by Gloom

smlcdangerd.jpg

Taken near Los Coyotes Cache

Not a Jeep specific cache, but nice trail leading to it and Jeep mentioned in description. Nuclear Pinecone Cache

One of MY caches. Jeep Shop Micro

Another Wheelin' related cache, placed to celebrate 1st annual Jeep Liberty Event in Big Bear. L.O.S.T. Cache

A nice cache I did while wheelin' Poison Spider Mesa in Moab. Belly Scratcher in Moab

Yes, it is an Old Buick I believe and story goes that some crazies drove it until it wouldn't go any further and then left it for dead. Over the years it just got trampled into the trail and now makes for a nice obstacle, the jagged metal has been known to cut a tire every now and then. It is located on Dangerous Road trail on the Los Coyotes Indian reservation in San Diego county, Ca. Real fun place to wheel.

Just wondering how many folks out there combine two of my absolute favorite things in life (Jeepin and Cachin)?

To me...one wouldn't be the same without the other... :D

'81 Grand Wagoneer 120,000

'88 Wrangler Laredo 108,000

'89 Wrangler 147,000

'96 Cherokee 112,000

451 caches

Nothing more fun than caching in December with the top down (then agian I do live in Florida). Life is good B) . Would love a new Rubicon but can't justify it when all but my Wagoneer (rear main is leaking like a sieve right now) run like new (or better B) ). It's amazing what changing the oil regularly will do for you.

What are offroad parks?

That was my thought, too.

It's a "State Vehicle Recreation Area (SVRA)" like Gloom described. There are a half-dozen of these in CA.

Hollister Hills SVRA is one of the very few large, open/public places to offroad within an hour or so drive of Silicon Valley since it's such an urban area. There are plenty of other places to offroad the further away you get from here, LOL. I prefer going up around the Sierras myself.

We have one of those, its called Nevada.

On my website I have an image of my Jeep in Nevada with a caption that reads "You gotta love Nevada..." B)

(edit for typo, doh!)

Edited by Team Nazgul

I like the Sierras, that's about as far west as I go to wheel. I'll be riding along in another rig on the Fordyce Creek Trail in June. I hope to score a FTF on that trip.

'Ol Rusty may be ready for the Rubicon by July.

And yes I will be doing the Rubicon with AT's Sparky. B)

I like the Sierras, that's about as far west as I go to wheel. I'll be riding along in another rig on the Fordyce Creek Trail in June.  I hope to score a FTF on that trip.

'Ol Rusty may be ready for the Rubicon by July. 

And yes I will be doing the Rubicon with AT's Sparky. B)

I like northern Nevada myself. I think Rusty knows where B)

Edited by cache_us_if_you_can

This is probably a little bit off topic, but it might get a laugh from someone. Before I started caching, I rarely thought about getting any type of 4WD vehicle, even though the snow can get mighty deep here. I scoff at people who have 4WD and never use it, they just get a rough ride and bad gas mileage. However, here is one situation where I might have used it. The log.

The picture which says it all (Oh #$%@!):

342bb23c-66b6-4c17-b531-551c280dfa36.jpg

Just Saw the new Jeep Commercial.

It has a house, 'Hide a key' hidden under a huge boulder. The Jeep has a strap to roll

the boulder over to retrieve the house key. That would make it a 5.0 cache. Non jeep

owners could use a shovel to tunnel under it,then recommend it be archived. :rolleyes:

Seatrout

Why would anyone cache in anything other than a jeep. :blink:

Edited by SeaTrout