Cicadas Ruining Geocaching This Summer?

rcl

Do you think that the BROOD X cicadas coming soon (and some already here) will effect the geocaching this summer? Do any of you plan to go out despite the cicadas, or are they going to keep some of you homebound?

Why? They're ugly and noisy but they don't bite and they won't be around for very long.

Why? They're ugly and noisy but they don't bite and they won't be around for very long.

Are you talking about Cicadas or Geocachers? Cause i know a couple of cachers who do bite B)

I think I'm going to collect as many cicada "shells" as I can and use them as micro containers. They'll stick to anything wooden.

Cicada Cache - Hike twenty miles along the Allegheny Trail to a large stand of Oaks.

Cache is at eye level on a 24" Red Oak. Bring your own pencil to sign

log.

B)

I think I'm going to collect as many cicada "shells" as I can and use them as micro containers. They'll stick to anything wooden.

Cicada Cache - Hike twenty miles along the Allegheny Trail to a large stand of Oaks.

log.

B)

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that its been done already...

I think I'm going to collect as many cicada "shells" as I can and use them as  micro containers. They'll stick to anything wooden.

Cicada Cache -  Hike twenty miles along the Allegheny Trail to a large stand of Oaks.

log.

B)

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that its been done already...

Hmmmmm ........... I wonder B)

i've heard about the cicadas a couple times this spring, on the internet only...

...anyone know what kind of range they have? curious if they're up in the adirondacks or the white/green mountains in nh/vt (respectively)?

broodx.jpg

This map supposedly show the areas where the cicadas will emerge. Taken from this website.

I'm looking forward to it. I hear there pretty tastey too. I'm thinking of having a Cicada Roast Geocaching Event. To log it as a find you have to eat cicadas.  B)

"What do they taste like?

Periodical cicadas are best eaten when they are still white (teneral), and they taste like cold canned asparagus. Like all insects, cicadas have a good balance of vitamins, are low in fat, and the females are especially high in protein. They are also Atkins friendly!"

Yummy!

Rich

I'm looking forward to it. I hear there pretty tasty too. I'm thinking of having a Cicada Roast Geocaching Event. To log it as a find you have to eat cicadas.  :unsure:

"What do they taste like?

Periodical cicadas are best eaten when they are still white (teneral), and they taste like cold canned asparagus. Like all insects, cicadas have a good balance of vitamins, are low in fat, and the females are especially high in protein. They are also Atkins friendly!"

Yummy!

Rich

I would just sauté them in butter, onion and garlic. Everything tastes good that way.

I've seen some media on the coming of the cicadas. But, being that there are so many different broods, their emergence has become unsystematic, we experience cicadas every year at this time. Why such a big deal this year? Can anyone fill me in? Is it a particular subspecies or something? Any entomologists here?

Edited by Bluehook
At least we have these:

http://www.fcps.k12.va.us/StratfordLanding...cada_killer.htm

We had some of these nest in our eaves a few years ago.

They were HUGE!

I found a couple dead ones, which measured 2 1/2" and 2 5/8" long... :D

When I first saw one, it buzzed by me while I was walking in the backyard, and I thought it was a hummingbird....

When I was a caddy when I was younger, the golf course I worked on would actually import those in because the insects they would feed on would harm the golf course (preety sure they eat more than cicadas). They are also mostly hrmless to people. We would walk through swarms of them and they wouldnot touch you. As for the Cicadas, You could watch them kill them in mid flight....prettty cool.

Edited by The Frantic Cachers
Here are some Recipes that I found this morning.

I just don't get it...The are plenty of delicious healthy snacks in the world, why on earth does anyone in their right mind eat bugs!!! :D

You laugh...I stopped watching FEAR FACTOR the first time I seen them eating these monster hissing cockaroaches!!

Kar of TS!!

saw an article this morning on line somewhere about a guy who ended up in the hospital after eating 30 garlic and butter sauteed cicadas. he found the recipe in an article. turns out people with allergies to shellfish and some other foods may have reactions. this guy broke out in hives.

stick to whats in the fridge.

(i crack myself up, i have 24 nightcrawlers in my fridge left over from weekend fishing)

Well this past weekend, I was caching in MD with my best friend AliceInWonderland, and we ran in a TON of them. I wasn't too freaked out by them, but AIW just wanted to get the heck out of there!!! As long as you go to a newish park, you won't run into them. But they were just hanging around. Left my camera phone back at the house, so I didn't grab a picture of one... oh well... maybe some other time... or maybe not! LOL :rolleyes: