Soggy Log

McKenzie Clan

Hi,

We have a cache visit planned for tomorrow. A visitor today mentioned a soggy log.

My question is, is it OK to replace the log, contact that cache owner to make arrangements to return the log to them after it has been dried? Or should I just leave it there??

I mean, the owner might intend to replace it tomorrow also, and me doing so might kinda annoy them?

Any thoughts??

Thanks,

Scott

Cache maintanence is part of the sport and appreciated by all I think. If you find a soggy log, try repairing the cache first. There's no sense in replacing the log if the container is worthless. Most cache owners appreciate the help; I know I would.

Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them. The rest go geocaching.

But fixing the container and leaving a soggy log inside won't help. It will just seal in the moisture. If it's an easy cache to get to and you don't hear from the owner, leave a temp log, take the wet one home to dry it and place it back in the cache as soon as you can.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

If it's an easy cache to get to and you don't hear from the owner, leave a temp log, take the wet one home to dry it and place it back in the cache as soon as you can.

Put the temp log in its own Ziplock bag so that it doesn't get wet in a wet cache.

evilrooster

http://www.bookweb.sunpig.com

-the email of the species is deadlier than the mail-

Thanks all for the tips!

I actually managed to get a hold of the cache owner before my trip. He was pleased with my offer to help as he wasn't going to be able to get out there for a few weeks.

This cache had one container inside another. The outside lid had cracked so anything not in the little container was ruined. I put in a new log, cleaned up the mess, and sealed everything back in the inside watertight container and off I went.

Good geo-karma for me. I emailed the owner, and will be mailing him the log after it dries as I don't head down that way very often.

Thanks all for your advice,

Scott