Cache Placement

Team Mixster

Is there a set rule about caches being 20 feet from a trail? I have placed a few caches and reread the rules but don't see anything regarding this. I seem to remember this being something parks liked but not necessarily a rule? I've had a recent complaint about one of my caches "You obviously failed to follow the guidelines for caches in a park area. the main rule being that caches are to be no more than 20 feet off the main trail." Before I go out and move it I wanted to check.

Thanks

Amy of Team Mixster

Edited by Team Mixster

There is no rule regarding distance from trails. In fact, in many cases, the further you hide a cache from the trail the less the damage there will be. As Stunod mentioned, some parks may have their own rules, so perhaps the person was referring to a guideline in that specific park.

Personally I like it when a cache is located such that I don't have to rush the exchange process. I like to be able to sit, rest and take my time sifting through the items and writing in the log book. Though urban/park caches are cool too, I don't much care for having to be paranoid about other people seeing me, and thus forcing me to rush through the trading and logging.

Personally I like it when a cache is located such that I don't have to rush the exchange process. I like to be able to sit, rest and take my time sifting through the items and writing in the log book. Though urban/park caches are cool too, I don't much care for having to be paranoid about other people seeing me, and thus forcing me to rush through the trading and logging.

Why not just walk 50 feet away from the cache site, and sit and do your trade and such, then, when no muggles are looking, walk back and quickly rehide the cache.

Personally I like it when a cache is located such that I don't have to rush the exchange process.  I like to be able to sit, rest and take my time sifting through the items and writing in the log book.  Though urban/park caches are cool too, I don't much care for having to be paranoid about other people seeing me, and thus forcing me to rush through the trading and logging.

Why not just walk 50 feet away from the cache site, and sit and do your trade and such, then, when no muggles are looking, walk back and quickly rehide the cache.

If a cache is close to the trail I usually take it to the nearest bench. That way I'm away from the cache site and I don't look suspicious crouching down in the woods.

Back on topic...

I've never heard of a guideline that says anything about 20 feet off trail. Try to email your local approver and see if they know of any rule for the particular park. I tried to find the log via your profile but didn't see it. I'm willing to bet the person didn't really know what they were talking about. If they said. "in a park area" it doesn't seem like they are talking about that certain park, more like they think that is a GS guideline.