In The News Again

retphoto

nt sure how lnog this link will remain active

I quoted it below .... so now, no need to worry

B)

North’d County hopes to cash in on worldwide ‘geocaching’ craze

By Rob Wheary  ,  Staff Writer, rob_w@newsitem.com

05/12/2004

SHAMOKIN — Treasure maps of olden days featured dotted lines, cryptic landmarks, paces and the always important “X” that marked the spot where, hopefully, a pirate’s gold might be found.

Today’s treasure hunters still use maps, but now they are found on a liquid crystal display and feature coordinates and waypoints. And while there may not be any gold, there are still some prizes waiting at the end of the hunt.

The activity is called “geocaching” and is catching on throughout the world. This “high-tech treasure hunt” takes advantage of the very popular global positioning system (GPS) devices in order to find small gifts.

Currently, there are geocaching hunts going on in more than 200 countries throughout the world.

Bill Titus of Sunbury, known in the geocaching circles as “Geo-Packrat,” recently met with Northumberland County Tourism Director Tom Kutza to scout different locations in the area that can be utilized for a hunt.

“From what I understand, this is becoming very big time,” Kutza said. “Hopefully, this will bring people into our area and show them the beauty that this area has to offer.”

Titus placed two caches in the area, but don’t look for them in plain sight. Hidden are two small black boxes, filled with a variety of different items, mostly small trinkets like key chains and other little knick-knacks.

“This is a fun sport, so no one should be looking at this to get rich,” Titus said. “And one thing that most geocachers do is take something out of the container, but then put something else back in, so the cache continues on.”

There are certain restrictions to a cache’s contents.

“The caches have to be child-friendly,” Titus said. “There can’t be any firearms or ammunition, fireworks or other explosives, or any adult material at all.”

Kutza made sure that Northumberland County is represented in one of the caches as he slipped a Northumberland County tourism brochure into the box.

“There are a lot of people who come from out of the area, and if they just happen to be a part of this hobby, they can take part,” Kutza said. “Maybe if they take the brochure, they can find some other treasures in Northumberland County.”

Geocaching is not new to the region. Recent hunts have included trips to the “Whaleback,” an unusual geological formation in western Coal Township, and the Roaring Creek tract in Wyoming State Forest near Bear Gap. But this most recent placement of cache may be the first of its kind in Shamokin, Coal Township, or both.

After placing the cache, Titus noted the GPS coordinates in his device and began making plans to let the world know about the new treasure hunt.

“I will write this all up and submit it to the geocaching Web site, www.geocaching.com,” Titus said. “They will look over the information, and if it meets all of their requirements and standards, it will be posted and the hunt will begin.”

©The News Item 2004

Kudos Geo-Packrat on putting our hobby in such a positive light!

The "coal region" gets very little good press about much of anything and its has soooo many caching opportunities. The history of the area alone is facinating! I've found a few down there when I get back home to visit and I love seeing more and more popping up.

Keep up the good work!

Salvelinus