Cache-cadians

The Navigatorz

And btw, Nav - you're going archiving crazy! :) Keep some around, for us poor cachers! :P:)

Wenatchee is super saturated with caches as far as I'm concerned.

This is true. But you make some good ones. Place some more, sometime. :)

Ok, I hid one today. But speaking of archiving caches, I would like to get something off my chest. Not wanting to offend anyone, but after years of tying up prime real estate, I'd like to see some of the older caches in the area archived, so that new caches can take their place. Geocaches in the Wenatchee area are in the hundreds, and after finding them, and after a few years have passed, they become less valuable to the majority. They just take up space. True they are good for the occasional cachers, or the new cachers, or the occasional out of town visitors, but to me, their just annoyances that take up space. Not everyone seems to like to hide caches, but there are a few of us who do. Lately we've been having to hide them miles and miles away because its difficult to find a place locally anymore, because of the old, worn out, caches that need maintenance and don't get it, or are missing entirely (need examples, I can give you a list of many that have recent purple frowny logs because the caches are missing). I know of caches that are gone, I have logged the "Needs Maintenance" log, and nothing happens. Take this cache for example. Read the last two logs. Again, a cache location, unavailable because a cache isn't maintained. What about this one? This one? Hidden in 2005, no finders in over a year. Is it there? Has the owner checked on it? No one knows. Or hmmmm

Anyway. Our playground is saturated with old caches. I think its time to get out there and clean up the area, do a little purging, so that new local caches can replace them. It will be a good thing for everyone. Does anyone else share the same thoughts on that, or am I all alone. If so, I'll just continue archiving my caches. I have no pride in keeping a big count of active hides. I archived one today, World Traveler, so I could hide a new one today nearby. I don't think anyone will mind the new hide. :D

And btw, Nav - you're going archiving crazy! :) Keep some around, for us poor cachers! :):D

This is true. But you make some good ones. Place some more, sometime. :D

Ok, I hid one today. But speaking of archiving caches, I would like to get something off my chest. Not wanting to offend anyone, but after years of tying up prime real estate, I'd like to see some of the older caches in the area archived, so that new caches can take their place. Geocaches in the Wenatchee area are in the hundreds, and after finding them, and after a few years have passed, they become less valuable to the majority. They just take up space. True they are good for the occasional cachers, or the new cachers, or the occasional out of town visitors, but to me, their just annoyances that take up space. Not everyone seems to like to hide caches, but there are a few of us who do. Lately we've been having to hide them miles and miles away because its difficult to find a place locally anymore, because of the old, worn out, caches that need maintenance and don't get it, or are missing entirely (need examples, I can give you a list of many that have recent purple frowny logs because the caches are missing). I know of caches that are gone, I have logged the "Needs Maintenance" log, and nothing happens. Take this cache for example. Read the last two logs. Again, a cache location, unavailable because a cache isn't maintained. What about this one? This one? Hidden in 2005, no finders in over a year. Is it there? Has the owner checked on it? No one knows. Or hmmmm

Anyway. Our playground is saturated with old caches. I think its time to get out there and clean up the area, do a little purging, so that new local caches can replace them. It will be a good thing for everyone. Does anyone else share the same thoughts on that, or am I all alone. If so, I'll just continue archiving my caches. I have no pride in keeping a big count of active hides. I archived one today, World Traveler, so I could hide a new one today nearby. I don't think anyone will mind the new hide. :)

I see where The Navigatorz is coming from. I placed my first cache on January of 2008 and had been caching for two years at that point. I would like to hide more, but seem to have a hard time finding a place to hide. I'm having to venture further and further away from home and it makes it harder to maintain these caches. I love the adventure so I will continue, but as responsible cachers we must replace, maintain, or archive our caches in a timely manner so that others may enjoy the game too! :P

...old, worn out, caches that need maintenance and don't get it, or are missing entirely (need examples, I can give you a list of many that have recent purple frowny logs because the caches are missing). I know of caches that are gone, I have logged the "Needs Maintenance" log, and nothing happens.

If a cache is confirmed missing and the owner isn't responding, you should post a Needs Archived log; the reviewer gets those notifications in addition to the CO, and will follow up appropriately. (Reviewers don't see Needs Maintenance logs.)

...old, worn out, caches that need maintenance and don't get it, or are missing entirely (need examples, I can give you a list of many that have recent purple frowny logs because the caches are missing). I know of caches that are gone, I have logged the "Needs Maintenance" log, and nothing happens.

If a cache is confirmed missing and the owner isn't responding, you should post a Needs Archived log; the reviewer gets those notifications in addition to the CO, and will follow up appropriately. (Reviewers don't see Needs Maintenance logs.)

I don't like the Needs Archived log. It's kind of rude. Needs Maintenance puts the responsibility on the cache owner. I did write an email to the cache reviewer about that cache back in November though.

And btw, Nav - you're going archiving crazy! :) Keep some around, for us poor cachers! :P:)

This is true. But you make some good ones. Place some more, sometime. :)

Anyway. Our playground is saturated with old caches. I think its time to get out there and clean up the area, do a little purging, so that new local caches can replace them. It will be a good thing for everyone. Does anyone else share the same thoughts on that, or am I all alone. If so, I'll just continue archiving my caches. I have no pride in keeping a big count of active hides. I archived one today, World Traveler, so I could hide a new one today nearby. I don't think anyone will mind the new hide. :D

Well, there's different philosophies about this issue. I know that you and I think differently about caches. I am always surprised when I see you archive bunches of caches and start fresh, and I'm sure you don't understand why I hold onto mine so strongly.

When I place a cache, it's for a reason. From the beginning, since my first cache in 2002 (which is still up and running), I've made sure they were caches that I feel could stand the test of time. They are like my little children. I love history, and I don't like change. I enjoy the caches that have been around the longest (which is one of the reasons I adopted "Valley View").

I also feel that archiving a cache just to place another one in pretty much the same place is a but odd. I've already been there, and I've already done a cache there, so what's the difference? If it just happens on its own, and for some reason a new one needs to be placed where an old one was, great, if it was a good place. But to do it on purpose doesn't make sense to me. But I understand that it makes sense to some people, so I'm ultimately fine if they choose to do that. But I don't feel that I need to, unless forced to by circumstances out of my control. I've had to archive a few caches over time, and in some cases, other caches were placed nearby afterwards, and I'm glad that people could continue to enjoy the area.

I admit, readily, that I have been worse and worse with my cache maintenance. I've been glad to have been able to do maintenance on three caches in the past week. But since I don't drive, and rarely go out, it has been difficult. I also understand that this is not fair to others who either want to find caches I've hidden, but are disabled, or would like to hide a new cache there for others to find. I've archived some caches because of this, and to tell you the truth, it has been one of the hardest things I've had to do. I know that may sound odd to some, but it's the combination of them being like children, my love of history, my dislike of change, and my sadness at having to admit that I cannot do simple things like taking care of my own caches and enjoying the world and this sport like I used to. To archive is like giving up on myself and my possible future.

In regards to "Sanctuary", I've done horribly. I made the effort this fall to take the 2 mile walk to update the waypoints because some of the nature markers had been updated and moved. It was by far the longest walk I have taken in years. I had so many notes and pictures, that I was overwhelmed, and then of course I lost my notes. All meaningless excuses, I know, but I just share for the info. At this point, it would be disabled anyway, because it is disabled every winter. But I am working on a solution so that the multi can be modified for winter use. I'm hoping to get that up and running shortly. I have found my notes, and I have a new cache ready for replacement.

Thanks for your concern, and I'm sorry if I've caused angst with my cache ownership personality.

I appreciate this community, and the diversity and everything that everyone has done to make this such a rich caching environment over the years.

In regards to your statement:

"I am always surprised when I see you archive bunches of caches and start fresh".

I don't archive caches just to put another new one in the same place (except for a puzzle cache once, but the experience was the new puzzle, not the location). I archive caches so I don't have so many out there that it becomes a maintenance headache for me to maintain them all. I try to keep my total "active" caches to a manageable level. So before hiding some new ones, I archive a few older ones. I guess I could just keep all my older caches and not hide any new ones. But most seem to appreciate the new hides. There are many caches out there that need maintenance, or need to be removed if the owner no longer cares to maintain them. Those are the ones I think need to be archived.

But I guess you're right, there are different philosophies. But the archiving of my caches was a personal decision on my part. You brought it to the forums. You're quote "And btw, Nav - you're going archiving crazy! Keep some around, for us poor cachers!" I'm just trying to explain why I archived a few.

"I am always surprised when I see you archive bunches of caches and start fresh".

I don't archive caches just to put another new one in the same place (except for a puzzle cache once, but the experience was the new puzzle, not the location). I archive caches so I don't have so many out there that it becomes a maintenance headache for me to maintain them all. I try to keep my total "active" caches to a manageable level. So before hiding some new ones, I archive a few older ones. I guess I could just keep all my older caches and not hide any new ones. But most seem to appreciate the new hides. There are many caches out there that need maintenance, or need to be removed if the owner no longer cares to maintain them. Those are the ones I think need to be archived.

But I guess you're right, there are different philosophies. But the archiving of my caches was a personal decision on my part. You brought it to the forums. You're quote "And btw, Nav - you're going archiving crazy! Keep some around, for us poor cachers!" I'm just trying to explain why I archived a few.

I know. I was just pokin' ya. :unsure: I think it's great that we all have different characters, it's what makes life interesting and unique! :D

Edited by Ambrosia

I see the hundreds are piling up fast and furious. Congraulations to P-38 on reaching 1400.

I know. I was just pokin' ya. <_< I think it's great that we all have different characters, it's what makes life interesting and unique! :unsure:

I don't know why I go out and geocache. I go find them and then never log them. The last find that I logged was 14 Sep. I logged "Applesox" but not the 2 that are close by. I found Wild Hockey the day it was hid and Caged and havent logged them. I found some while I was in Arizon/Nevada in February and in Spokane in February. Why do I go find them and then not log them. Anyway, I need to get caught up so you will see me with about a hundred finds over the next few days. Some where found last year, some yesterday. I am going to log the ones from last year as a find for this year because I cant remember the dates from last year. Thanks for your understanding.

Jon

J :anibad:

I don't know why I go out and geocache. I go find them and then never log them. The last find that I logged was 14 Sep. I logged "Applesox" but not the 2 that are close by. I found Wild Hockey the day it was hid and Caged and havent logged them. I found some while I was in Arizon/Nevada in February and in Spokane in February. Why do I go find them and then not log them. Anyway, I need to get caught up so you will see me with about a hundred finds over the next few days. Some where found last year, some yesterday. I am going to log the ones from last year as a find for this year because I cant remember the dates from last year. Thanks for your understanding.

Jon

J :anibad:

Same here. It's so sad. I have no idea how many caches I've found. I've been behind for two years now. Erg. :smile:

Hey, everybody. :rolleyes:

Just a reminder (or a notice) that we're having a special Event in less than two weeks:

10 Years! Wenatchee Valley, WA

This Event is special for a couple reasons. That weekend, April 30 - May 3 is being celebrated by the Geocaching community all over the world. On May 2, 2000, selective availability was turned off, and on May 3, 2000, the first Geocache was placed near Portland OR.

Not only is it a cool celebration to share with our community, but Groundspeak is going to award a special cache type icon to 10 year anniversary Events for that weekend only: 10 Year Events

In order to qualify, the site says:

*A video or picture must be taken at the event. At least 10 attendees must be in the video/photo along with a legible sign showing the event coordinates and location name.

*The people in the video or photo should be festive. Be inventive! But please keep it family friendly.

Put your thinking caps on for some fun ideas for our picture! I know that 'Tudles has already shared some ideas with me. If you want, share some here in the thread.

We have a fun little surprise that we're going to bring to this Event, as well as give out some goodies as doorprizes.

See you there! ;)

I'm working on listing a CITO for the 24th, which is the day after Make a Difference Day (three weeks from now). The only thing keeping me from finishing the page, is deciding on a place to clean up. I don't get out very much anymore, so I'm not sure what would be the best place to clean. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions?

Last time I hosted a CITO, we cleaned up around both sides of the walking bridge. We had a good turn out, and a fun time.

Thanks. :D

I'm working on listing a CITO for the 24th, which is the day after Make a Difference Day (three weeks from now). The only thing keeping me from finishing the page, is deciding on a place to clean up. I don't get out very much anymore, so I'm not sure what would be the best place to clean. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions?

Last time I hosted a CITO, we cleaned up around both sides of the walking bridge. We had a good turn out, and a fun time.

Thanks. :anitongue:

Barbie Beach aka rodeo hole in cashmere, home of Twiggy and Barbie beach caches.. I was just thinking how bad that place needs a cito event.

Thanks. :laughing:

Barbie Beach aka rodeo hole in cashmere, home of Twiggy and Barbie beach caches.. I was just thinking how bad that place needs a cito event.

Thanks so much for the suggestion. I appreciate you posting it. :) We have discussed it for days, and finally decided to go for something closer to town. I worry that I may not get as many people if we go out that far. I personally like sticking to the parks in town that always seem to be trashy, although we'll be cleaning up in the same area that we've cleaned up a couple times before.

If you're up to it, perhaps you could host a CITO in the spring, and we could hopefully get some clean up on those beaches. I would love it if someone did another CITO next year. They're not that hard to do. :)

It looks like Wenatchee is going to have a cache machine. <_<

Wenatchee II, March 26, 2011 by TravisL :D

I wanna play. I am scheduling myself off that day so that I can participate. :unsure:

Either as a hunter or helping the out of towners that need some guidance.(sp?)

See you all there. :laughing:

WOW! How did I miss this? Never participated in a cache machine...hmmm....I do have family coming from out of state that weekend. Better make sure I have lots of log space in my caches!

Hi Everyone!! Im fairly new to Geocaching (on my 80th find) but loving it and certainly addicted. I see your names around often (Navigatorz,Ambrosia, medicrncen xy,xx,xy,xy,xy,xy, Barnabirdy(s), mmauvil, HongKongPhuey, g-people, Mr. Gadget#2...Im sure Im missing someone).

Anyway, I just wanted to share some stuff I have found. If you enjoy facebook I have found that "Let's Go Geocaching" to be a fun "friend" to follow. People post there geocaching pictures to his page and I enjoy looking at them.

Just recently he posted that Geocaching.com was giving away Gecko TB's (sort of like the Jeep one's that were given out in like 2006...something like that). But here is that LINK too...perhaps there are still some TB's left and you can go get your's too B) .

Just wanted to share that stuff with you all. One last thing...hope to see you all at 2011 DTCB - Wenatchee, WA - Meet and Greet. Im looking forward to getting my first Event Cache notched into my belt and seeing some of you "legendary cacher's" :anicute: there as well.

Tootles!! :D

~TattorQuin

Over the past few years, we've had some unfortunate deaths in our local geocaching community:

P-38

Half of the LanSearch team (DeWayne)

Half of the Mr. Gadget #2 team (Kathy)

Am I missing anyone? Does anyone know how Qt.man is doing? He hasn't been on the site for five years, and I had heard that he had cancer.