Cache-cadians

The Navigatorz

Take a look at this amazing hoodoo that K-Ddid recently visited. Looks like about a 6 hour drive north of Wenatchee. I'm going to have to put it on my to-do list. ;)

Hmm... Very cool, especially since it's not going to last forever (thinking of the famous arch in Arches Nat'l Park that recently collapsed). I'm currently about 1.5 hours SE from this locale and tempted to ask the hubby to make a detour home... but alas, no time to to do more than the occasional drive-bys and only if I beg and promise "favors" (like actually making dinner, get your mind out of the gutter Allanon) ... :D

Take a look at this amazing hoodoo that K-Ddid recently visited. Looks like about a 6 hour drive north of Wenatchee. I'm going to have to put it on my to-do list. :ph34r:

Hmm... Very cool, especially since it's not going to last forever (thinking of the famous arch in Arches Nat'l Park that recently collapsed). I'm currently about 1.5 hours SE from this locale and tempted to ask the hubby to make a detour home... but alas, no time to to do more than the occasional drive-bys and only if I beg and promise "favors" (like actually making dinner, get your mind out of the gutter Allanon) ... :cry:

Hey, hey, hey...Why am I being singled out... :o

I like the GIS, I just feel sorry for him... :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Take a look at this amazing hoodoo that K-Ddid recently visited. Looks like about a 6 hour drive north of Wenatchee. I'm going to have to put it on my to-do list. :ph34r:

Hmm... Very cool, especially since it's not going to last forever (thinking of the famous arch in Arches Nat'l Park that recently collapsed). I'm currently about 1.5 hours SE from this locale and tempted to ask the hubby to make a detour home... but alas, no time to to do more than the occasional drive-bys and only if I beg and promise "favors" (like actually making dinner, get your mind out of the gutter Allanon) ... :cry:

Hey, hey, hey...Why am I being singled out... :o

I like the GIS, I just feel sorry for him... :laughing::laughing::laughing:

<thwap>

I thought I should send out a reminder for the September HOTM.

We pretty much agreed on Red Top Mountain and Beyond, Sunday, September 14.

For some reason I thought the hike was more substantial than it really is. I talked to Patudles today, who recently hiked there, and she said the hike was easy and took her about 1/2 hour. That's nothing compared to some of our previous HOTM hikes. It takes about 1.5 hours to drive there from Wenatchee, so total time away from town might be 4 to 4-1/2 hours. Is everyone still ok with this? I suppose afterward those that wanted to, could branch off and find other caches in the Blewett Pass area. As for me I have already done most of them so I would probably just head back home.

Anyway, I wanted to send that message. If you're expecting a good long hike, you might be disappointed. It sounds more like a nice walk. As for me I still intend to go. I've been interested in seeing the agate fields and the views up there are nice.

I discussed the above with Mr. Gadget and I thought he had a good suggestion. For those who want more hiking after finishing Red Top Mountain, we could drive over to Patudles Gold II cache and then hike to Ingalls Creek cache. This cache has not been found since it was hidden on July 26. Its a 3.2 mile hike with a 1,950 feet elevation gain. The trail follows Ingalls Creek on the south side of the Mt. Stuart Range.

Thoughts?

I discussed the above with Mr. Gadget and I thought he had a good suggestion. For those who want more hiking after finishing Red Top Mountain, we could drive over to Patudles Gold II cache and then hike to Ingalls Creek cache. This cache has not been found since it was hidden on July 26. Its a 3.2 mile hike with a 1,950 feet elevation gain. The trail follows Ingalls Creek on the south side of the Mt. Stuart Range.

Thoughts?

Hey I'm up for anything! The more caches the better! :rolleyes:

Thoughts?

Hey I'm up for anything! The more caches the better! :rolleyes:

I think you should do the Ingalls trail hike. I would go with you if I was here, but alas, I will be in Canada that day Lake Louise probably then spending the night at Radium Hot Springs. So I will be thinking of you.

Found some Hoodoo earth caches in Banff that I hope to do but they don't look as cool as the one K-Ddid found. :ph34r:

So why don't we all meet at the usual Easy Steet P&R at 7:15 AM and we'll leave at 7:30 AM (Sunday).

Firgure about 1-1/2 hours to drive to the parking area for Red Top Mountain, we should arrive and start hiking around 9:00 AM. Patudles said it took 1/2 hour to hike to the agate beds. So adding the stop for the lookout cache which is on the way, photos, etc. we should be back at the car at 10:30 AM. Those who want to return to Wenatchee should be back by Noon.

Those who haven't had enough hiking and want to add a 2nd hike to Ingalls Creek cache, figure 1 hour drive between Red Top Parking and the Ingalls Creek Trailhead, so the second hike would start at 11:30 AM.

Its a 3.2 mile hike one way, so averaging 2 mph, figure about 1-1/2 hours hiking each way (3 hours total). That means return to cars at 2:30 PM. From there back to Wenatchee takes 45 minutes, so arrival back in Wenatchee by 3:15 PM.

Here it is in a list:

Red Top Hike only:

Leave Park & Ride 7:30 AM

Arrive Red Top Trailhead 9:00 AM

Hike to and Find the 2 caches by 9:45

Return to vehicle 10:30 AM

Return to Wenatchee 12:00 Noon

Red Top and Ingalls Creek Hikes

Leave Park and Ride 7:30 AM

Drive to and arrive at Ingalls Creek trailhead 11:30 AM

Hike to and arrive at Ingalls Creek Cache 1:00 PM

Return to vehicle 2:30 PM

Return to Wenatchee at 3:15 PM

Disclaimer: The duration and times are approximates. Other factors such as arriving late at the Park and Ride, going after additional caches, flat tires, getting lost, leg cramps, what else can I think of? oh yes...compulsive digging in the agate beds until you find a priceless Ellensburg Blue Agate, could delay arrival time back in Wenatchee up to several hours, or days. :laughing:

At this point I have heard from the following:

Max-X: Red Top Mountain hike only

g-people: Red Top Mountain hike only

Mr. Gadget #2: Red Top and Ingalls Creek hikes

mmauvil: Red Top and Ingalls Creek hikes

Tenya: Red Top and Ingalls Creek hikes

Me: Undecided about Ingalls Creek, but Red Top for sure.

Firenut-Hunter and K-Ddid said they were coming, but I haven't heard from them regarding which hikes. Anyone else?

Looks like it will be nice weather on Sunday. Forecast is for sunny skies at 86 for a high in Wenatchee.

See y'all then.

Don't depend on me. My ability to come over rests solely on my wife. Just post coords for trailhead and meet up time and I'll attempt to get it worked in.

There are geocaches at both trailheads so I will post those for coordinates. The meet up times were posted above, but repeated here:

Easy Street Park and Ride (Wenatchee)

N47 28.200 W120 20.100 Meet there at 7:15 AM, Depart at 7:30 AM

1st Hike (2 miles RT): Coordinates for the Red Top Mountain Trailhead use the coordinates for this cache Day Treckin. Meet there are 9:00 AM

2nd Hike (6.4 miles RT): Coordinates for Ingalls Creek trailhead, use coordinates for the cache Gold II. Meet there at 11:30 AM

So why don't we all meet at the usual Easy Steet P&R at 7:15 AM and we'll leave at 7:30 AM (Sunday).

Firgure about 1-1/2 hours to drive to the parking area for Red Top Mountain, we should arrive and start hiking around 9:00 AM. Patudles said it took 1/2 hour to hike to the agate beds. So adding the stop for the lookout cache which is on the way, photos, etc. we should be back at the car at 10:30 AM. Those who want to return to Wenatchee should be back by Noon.

Those who haven't had enough hiking and want to add a 2nd hike to Ingalls Creek cache, figure 1 hour drive between Red Top Parking and the Ingalls Creek Trailhead, so the second hike would start at 11:30 AM.

Its a 3.2 mile hike one way, so averaging 2 mph, figure about 1-1/2 hours hiking each way (3 hours total). That means return to cars at 2:30 PM. From there back to Wenatchee takes 45 minutes, so arrival back in Wenatchee by 3:15 PM.

Here it is in a list:

Red Top Hike only:

Leave Park & Ride 7:30 AM

Return to Wenatchee 12:00 Noon

Red Top and Ingalls Creek Hikes

Leave Park and Ride 7:30 AM

Drive to and arrive at Ingalls Creek trailhead 11:30 AM

Hike to and arrive at Ingalls Creek Cache 1:00 PM

Return to vehicle 2:30 PM

Return to Wenatchee at 3:15 PM

Disclaimer: The duration and times are approximates. Other factors such as arriving late at the Park and Ride, going after additional caches, flat tires, getting lost, leg cramps, what else can I think of? oh yes...compulsive digging in the agate beds until you find a priceless Ellensburg Blue Agate, could delay arrival time back in Wenatchee up to several hours, or days. :blink:

Firenut-Hunter and K-Ddid said they were coming, but I haven't heard from them regarding which hikes. Anyone else?

Looks like it will be nice weather on Sunday. Forecast is for sunny skies at 86 for a high in Wenatchee.

See y'all then.

CONGRATULATIONS To NAVIGATOR oN HIS 2500!!!

And yes I am going to Red Top with Max-X

Don't depend on me. My ability to come over rests solely on my wife. Just post coords for trailhead and meet up time and I'll attempt to get it worked in.

There are geocaches at both trailheads so I will post those for coordinates. The meet up times were posted above, but repeated here:

Easy Street Park and Ride (Wenatchee)

N47 28.200 W120 20.100 Meet there at 7:15 AM, Depart at 7:30 AM

1st Hike (2 miles RT): Coordinates for the Red Top Mountain Trailhead use the coordinates for this cache Day Treckin. Meet there are 9:00 AM

2nd Hike (6.4 miles RT): Coordinates for Ingalls Creek trailhead, use coordinates for the cache Gold II. Meet there at 11:30 AM

I appreciate the repeat. Somtimes for me it takes the bell to ring for several minutes to register it's ringing. :blink:

Yep red top only but would love to ride w/someone. I am skipping out on Sunday school with the kids so it would be nice to maximize my socializing time....I come with gas money and a baby so two spots? ;)

If not can drive myself but no room for passengers.

See you Sun @ 715.

I have to beg off. The Mrs came back from Disneyland with blisters and is in no mood to go over the mountains. My Jeep is unreliable and I won't leave her with an undependable car while I take the good one. I'll continue to monitor and one day I will join y'all for a dry sided hike. :unsure:

That's ok. Sounds like the second hike may not happen anyway. Another in the group can't make it and several of us need to get back early. See you on a future HOTM hike.

Is the group interested in one more hike for the year? I'd like to do one more before winter sets in.

Here are some ideas:

Mission Peak trail includes 4 caches: On Tudles Pond, Mission Peak Trail, Elk View, and A Beautiful View. 3.4 miles round trip with 1000 foot elevation gain. I've been to all 4 caches, but most in our group haven't, and I don't mind going back for the hike. Trailhead is 16 miles from Wenatchee.

Lake Valhalla The drive to the trailhead on Smith Brook road is about the same distance from Wenatchee as Red Top Mountain. Lake Valhalla is located just off the Pacific Crest trail near Stevens Pass. Another nearby cache is Valhalla. I've been to Lake Valhalla several times before geocaching existed, so I'd like to go back to get these caches. Spectacular scenery. Five mile RT hike with 1000 foot elevation change. Trailhead is 56 miles from Wenatchee.

Moses Stool. One cache at the end of a 3 mile RT hike with 300 foot elevation gain. The trailhead is about 24 miles from Wenatchee.

Sauer Mountain. Three caches. One at the trailhead: Sauer Rock, a multi in the middle: Welcome Friends, and the one at the top called Sweet and Sauer To Go. 6 mile RT hike with 1700 ft elevation gain. The trailhead is about 20 miles from Wenatchee.

Other suggestions? If we do either Mission Peak or Valhalla, I suggest we go in early October. Last year Mission Ridge got snow on October 6.

Edited by The Navigatorz

Is the group interested in one more hike for the year? I'd like to do one more before winter sets in.

Here are some ideas:

Mission Peak trail includes 4 caches: On Tudles Pond, Mission Peak Trail, Elk View, and A Beautiful View. 3.4 miles round trip with 1000 foot elevation gain. I've been to all 4 caches, but most in our group haven't, and I don't mind going back for the hike. Trailhead is 16 miles from Wenatchee.

Lake Valhalla The drive to the trailhead on Smith Brook road is about the same distance from Wenatchee as Red Top Mountain. Lake Valhalla is located just off the Pacific Crest trail near Stevens Pass. Another nearby cache is Valhalla. I've been to Lake Valhalla several times before geocaching existed, so I'd like to go back to get these caches. Spectacular scenery. Five mile RT hike with 1000 foot elevation change. Trailhead is 56 miles from Wenatchee.

Moses Stool. One cache at the end of a 3 mile RT hike with 300 foot elevation gain. The trailhead is about 24 miles from Wenatchee.

Sauer Mountain. Three caches. One at the trailhead: Sauer Rock, a multi in the middle: Welcome Friends, and the one at the top called Sweet and Sauer To Go. 6 mile RT hike with 1700 ft elevation gain. The trailhead is about 20 miles from Wenatchee.

Other suggestions? If we do either Mission Peak or Valhalla, I suggest we go in early October. Last year Mission Ridge got snow on October 6.

The first two choices sound appealing to me! But I'll go where ever the group goes! I've not been to any of the locations so where ever we decide I can increase my numbers! :)

I am all for one more hike! My vote goes to one of the first two. I would love to do the first one since a couple of those have been on my must do list FOREVER but the second option sounds good too. The third option could be done in Nov probably and I have done the 4th option so..... Sat. the 4th is out for me but the 11th is good I think (I have to double check something). Sundays are pretty much out....

mmauvil- love the HOTM reference in your avatar! :D:)

Edited by g-people

There is only one I have not done and that is Lake Valhalla. It would have to be a Sunday as I will be working Saturdays for a awhile.

Also there are some right at Stevens Pass the "Skyline" series caches. which would be fun to go after.

Sauer Rock and Sweet and Sauer would have to be done soon, as the trail is on Private property and it will close and not be open up until next March I believe it was October to March it is closed.

Hey I am just giving my thoughts. Please do not make your plans around my schedule while I am in Potato harvest. If you want to go fpr any of the choices; Go for it.

I might be in if #1 (Mission Peak) is chosen, esp. if it's Oct. 4-5, when I will be over there anyway, to get the final for the Fire Lookout Challenge (yay!).

If you choose #2 (Valhalla), you should consider doing it as a through-hike from Smith Brook to Stevens Pass. It's a nice 8-mile hike along the PCT, and that would allow you to also get Patudles' Mountain Meadow Majesty, which is quite lovely and under-visited. If you start from Smith Brook, you will get most of your elevation right away in the switchbacks up to Lake Valhalla (this was the route of the group that did it two weeks ago). When I did it in 2005, I started at Stevens Pass, and enjoyed the woods and wildflowers to the meadow, then did the elevation climb through the woods to Lake Valhalla; I actually doubled back, since I was on my own, but if I had continued past the lake, the switchbacks would have been the downhill final section. Another nearby cache on the Smith Brook end is Patudles' Waterlily Pond. And on the road to the Smith Brook trailhead, you can get the roadside cache I Saw This Hollow Tree.

Edit: I just saw Gadget's post about GeoRoo's Skyline series (3 caches) at Stevens Pass. Those are a separate hike, on a different trail. The final one (Skyline the Top) is somewhat risky, although the other two (Lake and View) are fine. I don't think they would give you the scenic bang-for-the-hike that the Valhalla hike would, though. My 2 cents on those - although I haven't found them and would like to do them (DNF'd two of them in deep snow a couple winters ago).

Edited by hydnsek

mmauvil- love the HOTM reference in your avatar! :):)

I knew you would get a kick out of that! :D

As to dates, my October looks open thus far. Sundays work best for me, but if I know in advance I could make a Saturday work too!

mmauvil- love the HOTM reference in your avatar! B):ph34r:

I knew you would get a kick out of that! :anibad:

As to dates, my October looks open thus far. Sundays work best for me, but if I know in advance I could make a Saturday work too!

Checked my dates and I am not available on a weekend in October until the 18-19 (we have out of state company arriving the first weekend and leaving the second) and I could make a Sunday work if I am really nice to my husband.

Schedule for me in Oct is unsure at this moment. Saturdays are best for me as I am in the middle of moving. But I can't even promise a Saturday at the moment. But I have all the caches except the one Abby mentioned on the Smith Brook Rd and the Sweet & Sauer ones. So don't plan around me. I will fit it in if possible.

I will be spending my second night tonight in my new (unfinished) house.

Edited by Patudles

I received feedback from several regarding next months HOTM.

The most preferred hikes are (in order):

1) Lake Valhalla

2) Mission Peak

The most preferred day was:

1) Sunday

I was hoping for a hike early in the month because of the potential for snow in the mountains, but I may not be free until mid-October due to business travel early in the month. So tentatively its looking like Sunday, October 19 and it appears that is better for a couple of others in the group.

October HOTM: Lake Valhalla on October 19 (Sunday). Let's hope the snow holds off until after the 19th.

Beings I keep having to miss the HOTM, I decided to do my own hike Saturday. Everyone else it seems has done Sauer Mt. and beings the trail closes on the 14th of Oct. I thought I had better go do it. The day was perfect, even needed a light jacket up on top. For some reason going up was much easier than coming back down was for me. By the time I reached the car my legs were like jelly. Most of it was probably nerves because the trail is much to narrow for my liking, so to keep from arriving at the bottom the fast way I took it really slow. Did I say slow, how about one mile an hour slow! :laughing: Yup, so aren't ya all glad you didn't hike with me. Going up was much faster though.

Edited by Patudles

I received feedback from several regarding next months HOTM.

The most preferred hikes are (in order):

1) Lake Valhalla

2) Mission Peak

The most preferred day was:

1) Sunday

I was hoping for a hike early in the month because of the potential for snow in the mountains, but I may not be free until mid-October due to business travel early in the month. So tentatively its looking like Sunday, October 19 and it appears that is better for a couple of others in the group.

October HOTM: Lake Valhalla on October 19 (Sunday). Let's hope the snow holds off until after the 19th.

It snowed up there last night!

I apologize if this was already posted here, but I saw this over on the milestones page:

A belated congratulations to the Barnabirdy(s) for reaching 5,000 earlier this month!! :santa: As most of you know, they live in the boonies Methow Valley in Central WA, which isn't exactly a cache-rich environment, and they don't attend cache machines. Which makes this milestone, and their 12th-in-the-state ranking, all the more impressive. :santa:

Here they are riding the carousel at the Puyallup Fair a couple weeks ago (after we got the cache in the parking lot :santa:):

84694137-410b-4d80-91c3-6430cb6cb984.jpg

Aren't they the cutest couple? :rolleyes:

Way to go Birdy(s)

I apologize if this was already posted here, but I saw this over on the milestones page:

A belated congratulations to the Barnabirdy(s) for reaching 5,000 earlier this month!! :o As most of you know, they live in the boonies Methow Valley in Central WA, which isn't exactly a cache-rich environment, and they don't attend cache machines. Which makes this milestone, and their 12th-in-the-state ranking, all the more impressive. :(

Here they are riding the carousel at the Puyallup Fair a couple weeks ago (after we got the cache in the parking lot :blink:):

84694137-410b-4d80-91c3-6430cb6cb984.jpg

Aren't they the cutest couple? :D

Way to go Birdy(s)

Congrats, to the Birdy(s)

Due to the rest of my life getting in the way, I won't be able to do any more HOTM's this year, not to mention geocaching in general. Looking back at the last 30 days, I've only had time to find 5 caches, a record low for me. If there's interest in doing HOTM's next year, I'd be willing to help with the planning.

Recapping this year's HOTM's:

March: Ancient Lakes

April: For the Hike of it 2

May: Horselake Mountain (Twin Peaks)

June: Journey to the Center of Washington

July: Wedge Mountain

August: Altitude is Your Friend

September: Red Top Mountain

Each was a fun and memorable experience. It was great exercise, and most importantly, an opportunity to hike with some great people.

Happy Geocaching! The Navigatorz

Due to the rest of my life getting in the way, I won't be able to do any more HOTM's this year, not to mention geocaching in general. Looking back at the last 30 days, I've only had time to find 5 caches, a record low for me. If there's interest in doing HOTM's next year, I'd be willing to help with the planning.

Each was a fun and memorable experience. It was great exercise, and most importantly, an opportunity to hike with some great people.

Best Wishes, and Thank You for the work you've put into these hikes. We really enjoyed joining you and the rest of the crew on the August HOTM.

Great job organizing those hikes! I heard nothing but good come out of them! Hope to see you back in the running next year!

Best Wishes, and Thank You for the work you've put into these hikes. We really enjoyed joining you and the rest of the crew on the August HOTM.

Ditto from this Wet Sider. I really enjoyed meeting more Cache-cadians on the Wedge Mountain and Altitude Is Your Friend hikes, which were excellent. Thanks for organizing them and hope to see y'all on a few next year.

Ditto from this Wet Sider. I really enjoyed meeting more Cache-cadians on the Wedge Mountain and Altitude Is Your Friend hikes, which were excellent. Thanks for organizing them and hope to see y'all on a few next year.

Thanks to all that participated AND DROVE- we had some great times! I was going to post that I can't hike this month either, then saw the possible plan was off anyway. Next Spring? We can start our lists!

I know, I know it is short notice, but I am going to take a hike this Saturday the 18th of October. (Yup, people have suggested that I do this before) I am considering going up the Teanaway. There are a couple of caches I would like to grab in the area and I am either going to go up Esmerelda Basin and place a cache or two or go for a short hike to "Stafford Lookout Site" hidden by Navigatorz. Total hiking distance (one-way) is 1.1 miles with a 620 feet elevation gain to this lookout. Anybody out there want to join me?

I know, I know it is short notice, but I am going to take a hike this Saturday the 18th of October. (Yup, people have suggested that I do this before) I am considering going up the Teanaway. There are a couple of caches I would like to grab in the area and I am either going to go up Esmerelda Basin and place a cache or two or go for a short hike to "Stafford Lookout Site" hidden by Navigatorz. Total hiking distance (one-way) is 1.1 miles with a 620 feet elevation gain to this lookout. Anybody out there want to join me?

The way I first found out about the cache site was from hunting there for years. This will be the 2nd and last weekend of modern rifle deer season. Expect to see several hunters along the way. This is a gorgeous time of year to be there but wear a blaze orange vest. You can borrow one of mine if you'd like.

The way I first found out about the cache site was from hunting there for years. This will be the 2nd and last weekend of modern rifle deer season. Expect to see several hunters along the way. This is a gorgeous time of year to be there but wear a blaze orange vest. You can borrow one of mine if you'd like.

Oops, thanks for reminding me. I usually only do driveby in the local woods this time of the year. Maybe I should save this one for a couple more weeks and do it after deer season. I don't like to take chances during hunting season. Especially if I am alone and I can't risk taking my dog along during this season either. Maybe I will join the Pokey Plodder event instead and go hiking with them. It is in a State Park so no hunters there. Thanks again fo the reminder of the season.

Oh isn't hunting season just great. Most of the time when we are out doing our type of hunting, or at least I do, I do not want to be seen. Kind like sneak in and slip out unnoticed.

Keep in mind the hunting seasons has just began. Right after deer season and along comes elk season(s). Keep in mind ther are several modes of hunting also. Modern rifel and black powder. Bow season was earlier. And then are those special hunts. Just be careful. Its the time when you want those muggles noticing what you are doing. Being seen is very important. -G-

Okay, I got a taker, so the hike is back on even though it is hunting season. If I wait till it is over snow will be here. So beings this hike is along a road K-Ddid and I are going for it in our orange vests. It should be a beautiful hike. The more the merrier and noisier. So join us if you wish. We are meeting at the Park & Ride near Odebasian Bridge and the fire station at 9:30 in the morning. If there is time and interest there are several caches in Cle Elum.

If anyone is wondering where the smoke is coming from west of here, I was geocaching upon Burch Mountain today and saw the source. It appears to be at the upper end of Nahahum Canyon just below Chumstick Mountain, where the Nahahum Canyon road meets the Swakane Canyon Road. Its probably a prescribed burn by the F.S. because we didn't see any planes or helicopters trying to put it out. Here's a KPQ Article about the prescribed burns.

805746fe-8fd6-41f1-8502-d74112f3a3a3.jpg