Cache-cadians

The Navigatorz

I drove to the top of Wenatchee Mountain this afternoon to see first hand the terrain we will be hiking next month to Altitude is your Friend. I was happy to see our route is a gradual downhill grassy slope. The hike should be a piece of cake. Most of our time will be spent driving to and from. Not counting a wrong turn, it took me 3-1/2 hours round trip, from Lincoln Park in Wenatchee, to Wenatchee Mountain, and back. Near the top (between Naneum Point and Wenatchee Mountain), the terrain was pretty rough. I looked at my fuel meter and at times I was averaging 4 miles per gallon!!! Ouch$$$ Round trip distance is 50 miles.

Estimating 2-1/2 hours for the hike, I think my previous 6-hour estimate for the drive up there, the hike, and return, is about right. If we do the new caches on the backside of Mission, add a couple more hours.

It took the wife and I 2 1/2 hrs to do all eight caches. We drove via Upper Loop Road to Schaller, got the first one, then Jumpoff Ridge Road to Four Corners. and then Down Swift Creek and up Naneum to Pearson Creek Road. We had to stop a few times to take pictures of Deer and Elk.

It is right at 26 miles from the Black Top (Upper Loop Rd and Loop Road) to the last cache on Pearson Creek.

The roads are passable with about any vehicle A little bumpy as there is little gravel in a lot of places. Take it lsow and easy and you will be alright.

On the return I would suggest you take Boulder (which is near The Unknown Cache) back up to Coleman Creek and up to Swift Creek Road. You will come out just East of the Fire in the hole cache". This road is a lot smoother and is a little shorter.

It took the wife and I 2 1/2 hrs to do all eight caches.

Thanks for the road information Gadget. I'm looking forward to exploring an area I haven't been to before. Question: 2-1/2 hours from where to where? From the first cache to the last cache? Or is that from 4 Corners to the last cache? or from the pavement at Loop Road to the last cache? I know it took you about 5-1/2 hours round trip from Quincy, so I'm curious what route you mean when you say 2-1/2 hours to do the eight caches.

I started my time and track log at the junction of Loop and Upper Loop Road. In other words when I left the blaktop. This also is where Chebagan posted there starting coords for the eight new caches.

With regards to the hike to GCC532 you will grab one cache on the way to Wenatchee Mountain. (not counting my two caches on the ridge)

If one were to go after the other seven Chebagan caches, it is approxomately 15 miles down Swift Creek and up Nameum Creek to the last one.

We chose to go home through Kittitas way rather than back track to Wenatchee. Disatnce wise it was shorter but time wise may be a toss up.

shoot shoot shoot... :(

I had planned on being on this one, especially since there are so many new hides up there, but alas, my Bolivian arrives in Seattle that day.

Any other Cache-cadian (or Wet-sider for that matter) who is not able to do this "HOTM-mini cache machine", let me know and we'll do it together later on in the year.

-R-

The Bookmark List for the August 17 group hike is growing. There are now 19 caches in the vicinty of the hike to Altitude is Your Friend cache, thanks to Chabagans 8 new hides and Mr. Gadget's 4 new hides. I think we're going to have a busy day, but it should be a lot of fun.

I'm becoming tempted by this Sunday hike, esp. since there's a fire lookout in the mix. :) I don't think I could make it over that morning in time, tho. (What/when is the meetup?) If only I had a place to stay on the Dry Side for Saturday night.... :lol:

[i'm becoming tempted by this Sunday hike, esp. since there's a fire lookout in the mix. :) I don't think I could make it over that morning in time, tho. (What/when is the meetup?) If only I had a place to stay on the Dry Side for Saturday night.... :lol:

Hey hydnsek!!

We know of a place that you can stay Saturday night, but the only thing it is only 30 miles away from the mustering location. If you need a hint try solving GCYMFK, this will give you a good idea where,

Do not let this scare you and we have the same distance to travel also. I believe I have your cell # (some where). If not I will be in touch by e-mail.

Here is the time and place again:

August Hike of the Month

Save the Date: August 17, 2008, Sunday

Meeting Place: Lincoln Park (Ski Link Parking Area, South Mission Street between Crawford St. and Parkway Ave.)

Times:

- Meet at 7:45 AM

- Depart at 8:00 AM

- Return 2:00 PM

Destination: Altitude is Your Friend (on ski slope of Mission Ridge, location of 1944 B-52 plane crash site)

Driving Distance Lincoln Park to Wenatchee Mountain: 24 miles

Hike Distance: 1.4 miles one way with 300' elevation difference, Downhill to cache, Uphill back out.

Road Terrain: Rough, vehicle with clearance recommended

Other caches available along the way: See Bookmark

Please let me know if you plan to join us on this hike, and whether or not you will drive or need a ride.

Although, with all the new caches, our return time will now be more like 4:00 or 5:00 PM.

Hey hydnsek!!

We know of a place that you can stay Saturday night, but the only thing it is only 30 miles away from the mustering location. If you need a hint try solving GCYMFK, this will give you a good idea where,

Do not let this scare you and we have the same distance to travel also. I believe I have your cell # (some where). If not I will be in touch by e-mail.

You're sweet, Gene, thanks. :lol: But this non-morning person needs to be as close as possible (without camping). If I come over, I'm thinking Wenatchee. Maybe a cheapie hotel.

I'm becoming tempted by this Sunday hike, esp. since there's a fire lookout in the mix. :) I don't think I could make it over that morning in time, tho. (What/when is the meetup?) If only I had a place to stay on the Dry Side for Saturday night.... :lol:

2 fire lookouts

Ooooooh, even better! I haven't looked at the bookmark list yet. I guess I better come, I haven't completed that area yet. :huh:

Cache-cadians Hike of the Month (August)

Here is a new map of caches we can pick up on August 17 while up in the Mission Ridge area. Its not an interactive map, but gives you an idea of their relative locations.

Green pin is the hike destination: Altitude is Your Friend

Blue Pins: Older geocaches (Hidden before year 2008)

Red Pins: New Chabagan caches (8 Hidden July 29, 2008)

Yellow Pins: New Mr. Gadget #2 caches (4 Hidden August 3, 2008)

We will be hiking between Wenatchee Mountain Cache and Altitude is your friend (1.4 miles)

The rest is mountain road driving.

I'm getting excited! This is going to be some fine geocaching, fresh air, mountain views, green forests, wildflowers, possible elk sightings, a nice hike, and mountain road driving, cammaraderie. What more can you ask?

Here is the BOOKMARK LIST

c88cc88b-37a0-471b-b4da-518b82c59ca6.jpg

Edited by The Navigatorz

Hey hydnsek!!

You're sweet, Gene, thanks. :mad: But this non-morning person needs to be as close as possible (without camping). If I come over, I'm thinking Wenatchee. Maybe a cheapie hotel.

We're going the cheapie hotel route. Heading over Friday evening after work, then have all day Saturday to check out other caches in the Wenatchee area.

Anyone have any cache recommendations?

If I come over, I'm thinking Wenatchee. Maybe a cheapie hotel.

You might ask Barnabirdy(s) about hotels. I know they have stayed here on occasion and may know the lowest rate hotels.

Good idea. I guess I better break it to them I won't be accompanying them to GeoLuau on the 16th. :mad:

markandsandy - goodie, more Wet Siders going! I'm heading over Saturday morning myself.

What type of locations are you looking for? Around the city? Out in the country? Down by the river parks? Up in the foothills? Drive ups or hike to? I could recommend a few but it would be helpful to know what part of the Wenatchee or surrounding area you're interested in exploring.

What type of locations are you looking for? Around the city? Out in the country? Down by the river parks? Up in the foothills? Drive ups or hike to? I could recommend a few but it would be helpful to know what part of the Wenatchee or surrounding area you're interested in exploring.

Every LPC in Wenatchee....NOT :laughing:

Actually, no urbans.

So in the country or up in the foothills. Drive ups if it's somewhere worth driving to, but hikes would be great.

Wenatchee has usually been a place to drive through and pick up some fruit while heading somewhere else, so it would be nice to see some of the area more up close and personal.

Looking forward to this trip.

Actually, no urbans.

So in the country or up in the foothills. Drive ups if it's somewhere worth driving to, but hikes would be great.

In that case, I would recommend caches near Beehive Reservoir (N 47° 19.539 W 120° 24.007). Not too far out of town (10 miles by road) and there are 25 to 30 caches to find within 4 miles of the lake. Lots of great scenery and good caches.

Actually, no urbans.

In that case, I would recommend caches near Beehive Reservoir (N 47° 19.539 W 120° 24.007). Not too far out of town (10 miles by road) and there are 25 to 30 caches to find within 4 miles of the lake. Lots of great scenery and good caches.

Looks great on the map. Thanks for the recommendation. :laughing:

A special thank you to the Navigatorz for planning and organizing the cache-cadian hike of the month. We had so much fun today! I tease you about being "type A" but it is great that you are so organized in planning out these fun hikes! Today started out being a hike plus another 5 or so caches which turned into 20 caches for some thanks to some new hides. We had some great adventures today--- from a flat tire, lost camera, to a herd of sheep blocking the road! Lots of laughs along the way. We had 14 people participate today from 10 months to 81 years!! Can't wait to see the photos. Thanks to all the participated in making this a day to remember!

A special thank you to the Navigatorz for planning and organizing the cache-cadian hike of the month. We had so much fun today! I tease you about being "type A" but it is great that you are so organized in planning out these fun hikes! Today started out being a hike plus another 5 or so caches which turned into 20 caches for some thanks to some new hides. We had some great adventures today--- from a flat tire, lost camera, to a herd of sheep blocking the road! Lots of laughs along the way. We had 14 people participate today from 10 months to 81 years!! Can't wait to see the photos. Thanks to all the participated in making this a day to remember!

We second that thanks to the Navigatorz. Had a great time. Made it home at 9:45 last night, so didn't get things logged yet. Thanks for letting a couple of wet-siders join the fun.

Arnie & Karen (markandsandy)

It was indeed a great day. Accomplished everything we set out to do, except 1 cache thanks to 1000 sheep in the road! Here is My Log. Had a couple of hiccups (flat tire and wrong road), but had fun anyway. Got to see some elk which was an added bonus. Mr. Gadget achieved his 2500th find. Jaken got his first FTF. And we all bagged a 5 star terrain cache - Altitude is Your Friend. Way to go everyone!

31fdf554-e35e-4b25-b24c-005457ba22ba.jpg

L. to R. The Navigatorz, MAX-X (Mrs. took the picture), K-Ddid, Tenya, Hydnsek, Arnie of markandsandy, Jaken (kneeling), Mr. Gadget #2, mmauvil, g-people and baby.

Knee Deep in Sheep!

217f02f1-d241-4d43-8e8a-84591c7b37ea.jpg

Edited by The Navigatorz

Finally got the logging done. A couple of milestones for us. Find #100 at Charlie Brown, First FTF on A Growing Monument, and more sheep than we imagined we'd see ;) . Got home and had some trouble starting the truck today, shook the last life out of one of the batteries on those roads ;) .

It was overdue for replacing. Stopped at Sears tonight, new DieHard and we're ready to go again :wub: . Thanks again for letting us join you.

Finally got the logging done. A couple of milestones for us. Find #100 at Charlie Brown, First FTF on A Growing Monument, and more sheep than we imagined we'd see ;) . Got home and had some trouble starting the truck today, shook the last life out of one of the batteries on those roads ;) .

It was overdue for replacing. Stopped at Sears tonight, new DieHard and we're ready to go again :wub: . Thanks again for letting us join you.

I wasn't aware of your milestones, so congratulations to you too. It was nice of you to join us. Those rough roads do take their toll on the vehicles. Found out today my tire was not repairable (long tear in the tread probably due to a sharp rock). So I had to buy a new one today. Thanks again for the use of your lug wrench.

Ideas for September's Hike of the Month:

1. Sauer Mountain: This is a 6 mile hike with a 1700 foot elevation gain. The cache at the top is Sweet and Saeur To Go. There is also a cache at the trailhead called Sauer Rock and a multi about halfway up called Welcome Friends. From reading the logs it appears a few of the regular HOTM participants have already done this hike.

2. Red Top Mountain: There is a new unfound cache near Red Top Lookout called Beyond The Red Top - A View Back. This is a shorter hike than Sauer Mountain, 2 miles RT with 350 foot elev. gain, but its a further drive (on the south side of Blewett Pass). The attraction here is the cache is located near the agate fields near Red Top Mountain Lookout, and nice views. Other caches in the vicinity are Red Top Mountain Lookout on the way up, and Day Treckin at the trailhead.

3. Mission Peak: This 4 mile RT hike with 1000 foot elev. gain starts at the Liberty-Beehive Road and climbs up to Mission Peak, once the site of a lookout tower. There are 4 caches to be found on this hike: On Tudles Pond, Mission Peak Trail, Elk View, and A Beautiful View. I've already found these caches, but would go on the hike if selected for HOTM.

For September dates, I am unavailable the last 2 weekends of the month (Sep 20-21 and Sep 27-28).

So let me know your vote preferences in hikes (1, 2, or 3) and dates (Sep 6, 7, 13, or 14) either here or by email and I will announce the HOTM selection later.

Edited by The Navigatorz

1. Sauer Mountain: This is a 6 mile hike with a 1700 foot elevation gain. The cache at the top is Sweet and Saeur To Go. There is also a cache at the trailhead called Sauer Rock and a multi about halfway up called Welcome Friends. From reading the logs it appears a few of the regular HOTM participants have already done this hike.

2. Red Top Mountain: There is a new unfound cache near Red Top Lookout called Beyond The Red Top - A View Back. This is a shorter hike than Sauer Mountain, 2 miles RT with 350 foot elev. gain, but its a further drive (on the south side of Blewett Pass). The attraction here is the cache is located near the agate fields near Red Top Mountain Lookout, and nice views. Other caches in the vicinity are Red Top Mountain Lookout on the way up, and Day Treckin at the trailhead.

3. Mission Peak: This 4 mile RT hike with 1000 foot elev. gain starts at the Liberty-Beehive Road and climbs up to Mission Peak, once the site of a lookout tower. There are 4 caches to be found on this hike: On Tudles Pond, Mission Peak Trail, Elk View, and A Beautiful View. I've already found these caches, but would go on the hike if selected for HOTM.

For September dates, I am unavailable the last 2 weekends of the month (Sep 20-21 and Sep 27-28).

So let me know your vote preferences in hikes (1, 2, or 3) and dates (Sep 6, 7, 13, or 14) either here or by email and I will announce the HOTM selection later.

Not sure if I could make it, but option 2 on either sunday fits best for me. (granted I am not one of the regulars so I should only get half a vote.)

Not sure if I could make it, but option 2 on either sunday fits best for me. (granted I am not one of the regulars so I should only get half a vote.)

I vote for option #2 with a preference for the 13th/14th although I think I am available the other days.... not sure. AndrewRJ can have a full vote since he agrees with me. :anicute:

I like option #3 also but prefer #2. Option #1 is fun but I have already done that hike and would like to do a new one.

I vote for option #2 with a preference for the 13th/14th although I think I am available the other days.... not sure. AndrewRJ can have a full vote since he agrees with me. :D

I like option #3 also but prefer #2. Option #1 is fun but I have already done that hike and would like to do a new one.

I vote for option #2 with a preference for the 13th/14th although I think I am available the other days.... not sure. AndrewRJ can have a full vote since he agrees with me. :D

Option #2 works for us on either weekend

My last weekend for caching activities will be the 13-14th. Word has it we will start potato harvest full throttle on the 15th.

Then it will be 6 days a week for me until it is over around the middle part of October.

The only cache I have not done, is the one North of Red Top Lookout. I do not think I can control the itch to go after it before the 14th.

-G-

My last weekend for caching activities will be the 13-14th. Word has it we will start potato harvest full throttle on the 15th.

Then it will be 6 days a week for me until it is over around the middle part of October.

The only cache I have not done, is the one North of Red Top Lookout. I do not think I can control the itch to go after it before the 14th.

-G-

You know, they do have medication for that.... :anibad:

I heard from a majority of the regulars, and a couple of people from the west side, and it appears the September HOTM will be to Red Top Mountain and beyond. It will be nice to visit my favorite lookout again and check on my cache that i hid nearly 6 years ago. I've never been past the lookout to the agate fields before (where the new cache is located), so I'm looking forward to that. Hydnsek was up there a couple of weeks ago and in her log for Red Top Mountain Lookout cache, she wrote that she chatted with a guy on the trail who found an agate the size of a grapefruit. It also appears the best date for everyone is Sunday, September 14.

Save the Date!! :anibad:

I heard from a majority of the regulars, and a couple of people from the west side, and it appears the September HOTM will be to Red Top Mountain and beyond. It will be nice to visit my favorite lookout again and check on my cache that i hid nearly 6 years ago. I've never been past the lookout to the agate fields before (where the new cache is located), so I'm looking forward to that. Hydnsek was up there a couple of weeks ago and in her log for Red Top Mountain Lookout cache, she wrote that she chatted with a guy on the trail who found an agate the size of a grapefruit. It also appears the best date for everyone is Sunday, September 14.

Save the Date!! :)

I wonder if that guy found another fruit-sized agate.... :) Y'all have fun - since I was there recently, and am currently running around Eastern Washington trying to bag lookouts between thunderstorms, I'll have to pass on this one. (Exposed peak + lightning = sizzle) FYI, there have been some DNFs (including mine) on that Day Trekkin cache near the trailhead.

YEA!! there is finally a date that I have nothing else scheduled (as of yet), I have this on the calendar...and will be attempting to make it. I have been waiting to join one of these hikes all summer. If The Gadgets don't make it, I would be looking to hitch a ride from the Wenatchee area. I am guessing there will be a carpool up there. If Gadget decides he can wait and needs his last ha-zahh before the spuds come out...I may talk to them about thumbing it up there. Pretty sure it will only be me making the hike. I will keep checking back.

Firenut-hunter aka The Russman

Save the Date!! :D

Wellllll, beings I am to late to join in on the voting you all have fun. I did like option 1 & 2. Have been to Redtop lookout and agate fields but do not have the lastest cache up there. The weekend you are all having fun hiking I will be in Banff, so I hope to aquire a few good cache finds myself but I will be looking forward to hearing about your hike. ~ Tudles