Cache-cadians

The Navigatorz

I was asked if I could show the relation of Wedge Mountain cache to Lloyd's Last Lunch Box cache. Lloyd's Last Lunch Box (GCP038) is also located on Wedge Mountain, but on a different road than the one to the Wedge Mountain trailhead. But for those who want to drive to it after the hike, here is a map. The colored routes are: Turquoise - US Hiway 97, Green - Snow Lakes trail, Pink - Mountain Home Road, Purple - Road to Lloyd's Last Lunch Box (NF-400), Red - Road to Wedge Mountain Trailhead (NF-7305), Blue - The trail to the top of Wedge Mountain.

ff3a264d-2faa-400e-9c6e-420331db0187.jpg

And here it is in 3D:

94666ac4-f4f8-4887-9201-99f026ecc271.jpg

Edited by The Navigatorz

There's an article in the Wenatchee outdoors newsletter where some of the Wenatchee Outdoors staff hiked up Wedge Mountain on June 18 (4 days after I hid my cache). What interesting about the article is it seems they got to see a mountain goat who was hanging around at the summit. CLICK HERE for a detailed hike report with a photo of the goat. That would be neat if we could see him too on our hike. g-people would probably nickname him "Wedgie".

That is his name! Wedgie Goat. So it is time to get conditioned for our next hike:

JULY HIKE OF THE MONTH

The plan is to hike up Wedge MT to the cache that is up there, aptly named Wedgie Mt. :sad:

DATE: JULY 19

We need to get a head count and figure out when we are going to start and carpooling since there is limited parking.

PLEASE POST HERE IF YOU ARE PLANNING TO JOIN THE HIKE!

Overachiever... :(

I am assuming the hike will begin at some ungodly hour like 0800 allowing me 4 hours of beauty rest... count me in. I may even bring the geo-ignorant spouse and idiot-mutt (NOT the same person :) )

I may try to make it to this one. Its a bit of a drive but it looks like a good hike.

What he said. And we might even carpool. :) But for me it partly depends on just what "ungodly hour" y'all plan to meet, since we are coming that morning from far, far away. :sad: And I may have to choose between this and the Wet Side HOTM, which is the next day (sigh).

I may try to make it to this one. Its a bit of a drive but it looks like a good hike.

What he said. And we might even carpool. :) But for me it partly depends on just what "ungodly hour" y'all plan to meet, since we are coming that morning from far, far away. :sad: And I may have to choose between this and the Wet Side HOTM, which is the next day (sigh).

We were thinking if the wetsiders promised to leave the wet behind and join us that perhaps we could start a little later so you could spend all your lodging $ on gas. What is the earliest ungodly hour that would work for y'all?

Since there are some from the other side of the divide who want to come, I vote we leave later. Would 10:00 work for everyone? Or later?

Since there are some from the other side of the divide who want to come, I vote we leave later. Would 10:00 work for everyone? Or later?

10:00 would be wonderful, if AndrewRJ agrees.

What he said. And we might even carpool. :P But for me it partly depends on just what "ungodly hour" y'all plan to meet, since we are coming that morning from far, far away. :P And I may have to choose between this and the Wet Side HOTM, which is the next day (sigh).

10:00 would be wonderful, if AndrewRJ agrees.

That is fine, but I was fine with 8 as well. I do know that Hydnsek will need about 30-45 minutes to get to my place. So pick the time and I will be there... I guess that means that I am a definite.

Ok I have tried to find it but...

Where are we carpooling from, Leavenworth? Wenatchee? Other?

Yah, good question. AndrewRJ have confirmed our plans, and we'll be there at 10:00 am. From my place, it's about 3 hours, give or take, including stopping in Duvall to meet Andrew.

My semi-geo-ignorant spouse called this morning and wanted to know if I wanted to go to Wenatchee the weekend of the 19th. I guess I just might be able to make this one. Unless the semi-geo-ignorant spouse wants to drive the convertible over I should have the Land Rover so I will have room for passengers if needed to carpool from Wenatchee to the Trail head.

Most of us will car pool from Wenatchee as we will probably be going in from the Blewitt Pass side of Mt. Home Rd. I quess we need to find a spot to meet the those of you coming over from the other side of the Mts. Unfortunately the Park and Ride at the intersection is under a big pile of dirt due to the Construction of the new cloverleaf. Jennifer, any suggestions?

I just finished 3 days as a volunteer lookout at Sun Top and wanted to share some photos with my fellow geocaching friends. It was a fantastic experience and one I was able to share with my teenage daughter. She is the photographer so the credit for most of the pictures go to her. Sun Top in my opinion is one of the best places to visit in Washington state. Serving as a lookout is something I've always wanted to do, and I now have a greater appreciation for those who have worked at lookouts weeks and months at a time. I'm lookoing forward to going back next year.

By the way, there is a cache at Sun Top. :huh:

Click here for my Sun Top Photo Album. They are arranged from Sunrise to Sunset and are best viewed by clicking the Slideshow button.

Most of us will car pool from Wenatchee as we will probably be going in from the Blewitt Pass side of Mt. Home Rd. I quess we need to find a spot to meet the those of you coming over from the other side of the Mts. Unfortunately the Park and Ride at the intersection is under a big pile of dirt due to the Construction of the new cloverleaf. Jennifer, any suggestions?

Well the Wenatchee cachers could carpool from Easy St. Park n' Ride then maybe we could meet up at one of the businesses near the Y to pick up cachers coming from the West for carpooling, then caravan up the road? If that is the case, we should probably depart at 9:30 to meet up with folks coming from the Westside at 10.

Navigatorz, since you have been up there recently do you have any suggestions?

I just finished 3 days as a volunteer lookout at Sun Top and wanted to share some photos with my fellow geocaching friends. It was a fantastic experience and one I was able to share with my teenage daughter. She is the photographer so the credit for most of the pictures go to her. Sun Top in my opinion is one of the best places to visit in Washington state. Serving as a lookout is something I've always wanted to do, and I now have a greater appreciation for those who have worked at lookouts weeks and months at a time. I'm lookoing forward to going back next year.

By the way, there is a cache at Sun Top. :unsure:

Click here for my Sun Top Photo Album. They are arranged from Sunrise to Sunset and are best viewed by clicking the Slideshow button.

When my parents were there voulenteering the weekend before you they saw gray, gray with mist and gray with rain. quite a different experience.

Well the Wenatchee cachers could carpool from Easy St. Park n' Ride then maybe we could meet up at one of the businesses near the Y to pick up cachers coming from the West for carpooling, then caravan up the road? If that is the case, we should probably depart at 9:30 to meet up with folks coming from the Westside at 10.

The nearby businesses are Wedge Mountain Inn (Motel) and Big Y Cafe both near the intersection of Hiway 2 and Hiway 97. We would have to get permission to park vehicles in their parking lots.

So far it appears there are two individuals (Hydnsek and AndrewRJ) coming over from the west side Saturday morning in one vehicle (LandRover states that he will already be in Wenatchee and will meet the carpoolers there).

Are Hydnsek and AndrewRJ able to meet us at the trailhead? You would need a high clearance vehicle. If so, here is a suggestion that might work:

East meets West at the Wedge Mountain trailhead? Those coming from the Wenatchee-Cashmere side meet at the Easy Street Park-n-Ride in Wenatchee. We can then carpool to the Wedge Mountain trailhead via Hiway 97 and Mountain Home Road. Those driving from the west side could drive up Mountain Home Road from the Leavenworth end. There are caches along the way they may want to find after the hike such as 21 Candles and Charred Log, both on the Mountain Home Road, and also Boundary Butte and Boundary Butte The Top, both just a short drive off the Mountain Home road.

If the west siders are not bringing a high clearance rig and need rides, then we'll have to meet them at the Park-n-Ride in Leavenworth (a few miles further to drive for the eastsiders), or I can call the Big Y cafe and ask if we can park vehicles there for a few hours on Saturday.

So westsiders, is meeting at the trailhead a possibility? Or do you need to ride up with someone with higher clearance vehicle?

The nearby businesses are Wedge Mountain Inn (Motel) and Big Y Cafe both near the intersection of Hiway 2 and Hiway 97. We would have to get permission to park vehicles in their parking lots.

So far it appears there are two individuals (Hydnsek and AndrewRJ) coming over from the west side Saturday morning in one vehicle (LandRover states that he will already be in Wenatchee and will meet the carpoolers there).

Are Hydnsek and AndrewRJ able to meet us at the trailhead? You would need a high clearance vehicle. If so, here is a suggestion that might work:

East meets West at the Wedge Mountain trailhead? Those coming from the Wenatchee-Cashmere side meet at the Easy Street Park-n-Ride in Wenatchee. We can then carpool to the Wedge Mountain trailhead via Hiway 97 and Mountain Home Road. Those driving from the west side could drive up Mountain Home Road from the Leavenworth end. There are caches along the way they may want to find after the hike such as 21 Candles and Charred Log, both on the Mountain Home Road, and also Boundary Butte and Boundary Butte The Top, both just a short drive off the Mountain Home road.

If the west siders are not bringing a high clearance rig and need rides, then we'll have to meet them at the Park-n-Ride in Leavenworth (a few miles further to drive for the eastsiders), or I can call the Big Y cafe and ask if we can park vehicles there for a few hours on Saturday.

So westsiders, is meeting at the trailhead a possibility? Or do you need to ride up with someone with higher clearance vehicle?

I have a 2 wheel drive truck, that should be good enough I think.

I have a 2 wheel drive truck, that should be good enough I think.

If we meet you at the trailhead, how much time/distance does this add to meet at 10 am? I think we were planning on meeting you at 10 am at whatever the carpool spot is. I can't leave any earlier than we already have planned (which is way-the-heck early for me as-is), so the meetup time might need to be adjusted if it's at the trailhead, or I am fine with bowing out and AndrewRJ can represent the Wet Side. :unsure:

Oh, and Nav - great pics! :ph34r: Glad you had such a nice experience at Sun Top. I know my group enjoyed meeting the volunteer watcher last year when we visited to get the cache.

If we meet you at the trailhead, how much time/distance does this add to meet at 10 am? I think we were planning on meeting you at 10 am at whatever the carpool spot is. I can't leave any earlier than we already have planned (which is way-the-heck early for me as-is), so the meetup time might need to be adjusted if it's at the trailhead, or I am fine with bowing out and AndrewRJ can represent the Wet Side. :unsure:

From Leavenworth to the trailhead is about 12 miles dirt road, and I would estimate a 30 minute drive. The Wenatchee group will depart at 9:30 from the Wenatchee Park and Ride at Easy Street and will be at the trailhead at 10:00, driving up Mountain Home road from the Hiway 97 side. Hope that works for everyone.

From Leavenworth to the trailhead is about 12 miles dirt road, and I would estimate a 30 minute drive. The Wenatchee group will depart at 9:30 from the Wenatchee Park and Ride at Easy Street and will be at the trailhead at 10:00, driving up Mountain Home road from the Hiway 97 side. Hope that works for everyone.

I checked with Andrew, and we should be ok. Might be tight, adding an extra half hour to our distance without changing the time, but he thinks we can do it. See you soon!

By the way, there is a cache at Sun Top. :unsure:

Great photos! Thanks for sharing!

I'll be coming over Saturday morining bright and early. I need to drop my wife off in E. Wenatchee before meeting up at the PnR. Speaking of the Easy Street PnR, okay maybe I wasn't speaking of Easy Street but I do need to know where the PnR is.

The Easy Street Park n Ride is at

N47 28.200 W120 20.100

If we meet you at the trailhead, how much time/distance does this add to meet at 10 am? I think we were planning on meeting you at 10 am at whatever the carpool spot is. I can't leave any earlier than we already have planned (which is way-the-heck early for me as-is), so the meetup time might need to be adjusted if it's at the trailhead, or I am fine with bowing out and AndrewRJ can represent the Wet Side. :blink:

I checked with Andrew, and we should be ok. Might be tight, adding an extra half hour to our distance without changing the time, but he thinks we can do it. See you soon!

Shouldn't make much difference in time as you would have a 20 -30 minute drive into Wenatchee, depending on whether you come over on Hwy 2 or Interstate 90 & Blewett Pass. Either way you will grab the Mt Home Road and save the trip to town so timing should be relatively the same.

By the way I nor my friends will be making this hike after all. Things have changed. Hope you all have a great time. I will be wishing I could be there with you all.

Edited by Patudles

K-DDID HERE. I THINK I CAN CLEAR MY WAY FOR THIS ONE. SEE YOU AT EASY STREET.

The Geo-ignorant spouse is a go and he wants to bring the idiot dog. Told him as hot as it's gonna be, he has to carry the water for the beast. We'll meet you all at the P-n-R on Easy St. Unfortunately we'll be in the son's truck and it only seats 2 (comfortably). The G-I.S. still won't let me "break-in" my Sequoia off roads... :D

The Geo-ignorant spouse is a go and he wants to bring the idiot dog. Told him as hot as it's gonna be, he has to carry the water for the beast. We'll meet you all at the P-n-R on Easy St. Unfortunately we'll be in the son's truck and it only seats 2 (comfortably). The G-I.S. still won't let me "break-in" my Sequoia off roads... :D

Sounds like a lot of fun. Sadly, though it is also a cheerful thing, I must travel northward to pick up my daughter so she can join me on Sunday's hike. :D

So the group is looking like:

g-people

Mr. Gadget #2

The Navigatorz

Jaken

Robinego and Husband

mmauvil

K-Ddid

LandRover

Hydnsek

AndrewRJ

We'll be leaving the Park N Ride (Easy Street) at 9:30 sharp. It's going to be hot. The forecast for Saturday is 92 degrees. Bring plenty of H2O. Hydnsek and AndrewRJ, see you at the trailhead.

PS. Westsiders...Want to share cell phone numbers, just in case? We can do that by separate email.

I woke up this morning with sore muscles, but it was worth it...right?? :rolleyes: That's a view you have to work at to see. There'll never be a roadside viewpoint there. Thanks again to all who came on the hike. And thanks westsiders for your patience at the late start as part of the caravan got garmined and ended up on another part of Wedge Mountain. But after a couple of cell phone calls, we were all together and off hiking. I'm looking forward to our next months hike. Any ideas?

12d65992-4e37-46f1-ba48-2c82902f9a1e.jpg

I woke up this morning with sore muscles, but it was worth it...right?? :unsure: That's a view you have to work at to see. There'll never be a roadside viewpoint there. Thanks again to all who came on the hike. And thanks westsiders for your patience at the late start as part of the caravan got garmined and ended up on another part of Wedge Mountain. But after a couple of cell phone calls, we were all together and off hiking. I'm looking forward to our next months hike. Any ideas?

I think I am more sore today than yesterday! 2nd day out is always worse- LOL! Had lots of fun! Hope our westside companions will join us again in spite of our delayed start time!

Next month I would love to do some of the local Mission Ridge area caches. I know a lot of folks have already done them though. I like the idea of doing Altitude is my Friend etc. Any interest? Just about the only weekend that will work for me is August 16-17.

Firenut-Hunter from Quincy here. Making my first post in this forum....I keep watching this thread....waiting for a weekend I can make a hike with the Cache-Cadians....but Saturdays I am always working. I was talkign to Mr. G about this a little...he said the hikes have jumped back and forth between Sat. and Sun. before.

The 16-17 of Aug. I am busy with my sons Cub Scout day Camp....but I will keep watching and waiting for a weekend hike I can make.

BTW....we are having rumors of the Quincy Crew trying to put together some sort of event out here in the Dry Desert area....we will keep everyone posted when we figure out what we want to do.

Firenut-hunter aka The Russman

Next month I would love to do some of the local Mission Ridge area caches. I know a lot of folks have already done them though. I like the idea of doing Altitude is my Friend etc. Any interest? Just about the only weekend that will work for me is August 16-17.

Altitude is Your Friend is one I haven't done yet, and since I don't ski or snowmobile, I figured the only way to get there was to hike up the ski hill during the summer. But since the Mission Ridge road is closed for repairs this summer, the only other options are to hike down from the top of Wenatchee Mountain or Mission Peak. I think hiking down from Mission Peak is further (you have the added distance of hiking in from the Liberty Beehive road), whereas you can drive to the top of Wenatchee Mountain. Plus you may have too many rock fields to cross if you approach it from Mission Peak. So if we hike to Altitude is Your Friend from the top of Wenatchee Mountain, it looks to be a 1.4 mile hike with a 300 foot elevation decent, then hike uphill going back out. That would be great to get that one. Its been out there for over 5 years taunting me to go up and find it.

I have done all those caches in that area but, I am considering coming along for the ride. I have a possible agenda whild you all are on the hike. There is an area up there that I have been wanting to check out, so I may join you all and do a little exploring (hiding a new cache?) while you are hiking to bombers bowl.

Here's a picture of what the hike to Altitude is Your Friend cache would look like:

3f1198ea-f20f-41e7-a8ad-7544e4e118f4.jpg

Drive up from Jumpoff Ridge to Naneum Ridge to the peak of Wenatchee Mountain (Elevation 6742 feet). Then hike west down the hill toward Mission Peak for about a mile until we reach the ski lift maintenance road and follow it to the cache, which is at elevation 6420 feet. (PS. There are geocaches at Naneum Point, where there used to be a lookout tower, and another at the end of the road at Wenatchee Mountain).

Thanks to Navigatorz and the Cascadians for an excellent adventure on Wedge Mountain last weekend! :laughing: I finally posted my logs and pics today. Here are a couple highlights:

The Wedgie Wonders (I wonder if we'll make it to the top?)

8d9fc961-05c8-4517-8fdb-0c5caf98ba7a.jpg

View from the false summit (Snow Lakes are more visible than from the saddle, and the Enchantments are just as lovely)

962b4e18-1a0c-4c5b-972b-a2682d967086.jpg

August Hike of the Month

Save the Date: August 17, 2008, Sunday

Meeting Place: Lincoln Park (Ski Link Parking Area, South Mission Street between Crawford St. and Parkway Ave.)

Times:

- Meet at 7:45 AM

- Depart at 8:00 AM

- Return 2:00 PM

Destination: Altitude is Your Friend (on ski slope of Mission Ridge, location of 1944 B-52 plane crash site)

Driving Distance Lincoln Park to Wenatchee Mountain: 24 miles

Hike Distance: 1.4 miles one way with 300' elevation difference, Downhill to cache, Uphill back out.

Road Terrain: Rough, vehicle with clearance recommended

Other caches available along the way: See Bookmark

Please let me know if you plan to join us on this hike, and whether or not you will drive or need a ride.

Edited by The Navigatorz

August Hike of the Month

Meeting Place: Lincoln Park (Ski Link Parking Area, South Mission Street between Crawford St. and Parkway Ave.)

Times:

Destination: Altitude is Your Friend (on ski slope of Mission Ridge, location of 1944 B-52 plane crash site)

Hike Distance: 1.4 miles one way with 300' elevation difference, Downhill to cache, Uphill back out.

Road Terrain: Rough, vehicle with HIGH clearance recommended(if you want to drive it home)

Please let me know if you plan to join us on this hike, and whether or not you will drive or need a ride.

:D:D:D

August Hike of the Month

Times:

I will participate AND I will need a ride for 2 (me and baby). Thanks for putting this together Nav.

Thanks to Navigatorz and the Cascadians for an excellent adventure on Wedge Mountain last weekend! :laughing: I finally posted my logs and pics today. Here are a couple highlights:

The Wedgie Wonders (I wonder if we'll make it to the top?)

8d9fc961-05c8-4517-8fdb-0c5caf98ba7a.jpg

View from the false summit (Snow Lakes are more visible than from the saddle, and the Enchantments are just as lovely)

962b4e18-1a0c-4c5b-972b-a2682d967086.jpg

Great photos! Thanks for sharing!

August Hike of the Month

Times:

I plan on going! I could drive if need be, but would have to take the jeep, as I'd like to preserve some of the newness of the Yukon.

August Hike of the Month

Times:

Can a couple of Wet-siders join in the fun?

August Hike of the Month

Times:

Destination: Altitude is Your Friend (on ski slope of Mission Ridge, location of 1944 B-24 Liberator plane crash site)

Oooops, I stand corrected. I had mistakenly named the plane that crashed in 1944 on Mission Ridge as a B-52, when it was actually a B-24 Liberator. I really wasn't trying to re-write history. :D

Can a couple of Wet-siders join in the fun?

Yes you can. If you're able to meet with us at the scheduled time, you're more than welcome to join us.

Great. :D Count the two of us in. I'll drive, but the truck only holds three max, so could only carry one more if needed. We'll probably come over either Friday evening or Saturday, so the 7:45 meet time willl be no problem.

Looking forward to meeting you all.

August Hike of the Month

Times:

Destination: Altitude is Your Friend (on ski slope of Mission Ridge, location of 1944 B-24 Liberator plane crash site)

Oooops, I stand corrected. I had mistakenly named the plane that crashed in 1944 on Mission Ridge as a B-52, when it was actually a B-24 Liberator. I really wasn't trying to re-write history. :ph34r:

Here's the waymark for the crash (it was my first waymark!): linky

I'm happy to see you guys going to Water Lily's cache. I hope that you have a great time. :o

For those of you who will be going on the August 17 Hike (to Altitude is Your Friend), you may have noticed that several new caches in the vicinity were just approved. We will be driving by Naneum Point and stopping at Wenatchee Mountain cache for the start of the hike. Perhaps if there is time after the hike, those who are willing and have the time may want to drive down the backside of Mission Ridge to get these caches as well. These caches were hidden by Chabagan who rode ATV's. but it appears they are driveable with 4-wheel drive vehicle with clearance.

Here is a Map of the Caches on Mission Ridge. Red dots are the newly published caches, Blue dots are old caches on top of the Ridge, and the Purple Dot is the goal of the hike - Altitude is Your Friend.

34591f8a-1c95-4b02-858a-7d665ccd1810.jpg.

I would estimate adding a couple more hours to the trip if you want to do all of the caches. (This is turning into a mini-cache-machine). :mad:

Edited by The Navigatorz