Cache-cadians

The Navigatorz

If you do the shorter route, then my parents may attend. And possibly 'Tudles. ;)

I wish I could go! Years ago, 'Tudles and I were doing some research at the Museum. They brought us a newspaper article about the marker placed there for the center of washington. We were excited, and wanted to place a cache there. But the article wasn't clear where the marker was, and we knew it would be a long hike. So we put it off. Eventually, the cache, " Journey to the Center of WA" was placed. That's cool.

So I've always wanted to go to this cache, obviously, but I waited too long and now I can't. Ah, well.

You guys have fun! B)

How about hiking the Devils Gulch trail up Mission Creek. There is a cache called Journey to the Center of WA which from the trailhead at the Mission Creek road makes for a 7 mile RT hike. What's interesting about this cache is that its located at the official geographical center of Washington state. Evidently there is a benchmark near the cache for the geographical center. This cache has only had 3 finders in 3 years, and they all 3 found it on the same day, May 30, 2005. Maybe we should give it some more visitors?

1a53d047-3e6a-46f1-a0c0-9b40ccfb43bb.jpg

Our June Hike will be SATURDAY JUNE 28~We will do the Devil's Gulch Trail to the cache Journey to the Center of WA. Check out the map above. Details to follow..

Unfortunately June 1st was the only weekend day in June that I was free so I sadly submit my regrets ;) . Do we have a tentative July date so I can INK a hike in before that month fills up? (chanting 19, 19, 19, 19... :o )

Unfortunately June 1st was the only weekend day in June that I was free so I sadly submit my regrets :lol: . Do we have a tentative July date so I can INK a hike in before that month fills up? (chanting 19, 19, 19, 19... :lol: )

Sorry!! It seemed like June 28th was the most available date for the most people!

RE: July---Hmmmm I was thinking maybe July 19th? How does that look for people??? :huh: The hike will probably turn out to be one you have already done Robinego! LOL! Any suggestions?

Edited by g-people

Any suggestions?

How about Colchuck Lake?

:o <waving her hands franticly> :D COLCHUCK!!!! Been on my to-do list for like forever. (I even promise to be in bed the night before/that morning by 0200!) But hey, wherever you guys want...I'm good :D(colchuck colchuck colchuck)

Hmmmm...I think it would be helpful to know more about colchuck- like maybe something visual- some maps or something. I wonder if there is someone who could map out a hike and estimate the distance... :D

Hmmmm...I think it would be helpful to know more about colchuck- like maybe something visual- some maps or something. I wonder if there is someone who could map out a hike and estimate the distance... :o

Here are a couple of maps of the hiking route to Colchuck Lake:

Start at the trailhead at N47 31.657 W120 49.225 Elevation 3500 ft

Miles are indicated by Blue numbers:

Mile 1 Elevation 3890 ft

Mile 2 Elevation 4390 ft

Mile 3 Elevation 4960 ft

Mile 4 Elevation 5570 ft

Colchuck Lake is 4.1 miles in from trailhead.

Map 1, Plan View, Hike from trailhead to the lake in a southwesterly direction.

382f92ae-dd79-41c9-8970-90d5b4d78408.jpg

Map 2, 3D, rotated as if facing lake from the trailhead.

fceefd29-16f4-419e-90ea-eddb65c543e7.jpg

Thanks for the maps; they are fabulous! That looks like a great hike but I bet it is going to take the better part of a day which is too much of a time committment for me at this point (nursing baby). I doubt I could pack him for 8+ miles. So- that being said, I say go for it and take pictures for me to look at so I can plan the trek for next summer!

Thanks for the maps; they are fabulous! That looks like a great hike but I bet it is going to take the better part of a day which is too much of a time committment for me at this point (nursing baby). I doubt I could pack him for 8+ miles. So- that being said, I say go for it and take pictures for me to look at so I can plan the trek for next summer!

Would anyone be interested in doing Wedge Mt. for HIke of the MOnth in July? That way we could get Lloyd's last lunchbox and also the new Wedge Mt. cache. Mapmaker? Will you post a map to give folks food for thought? That looks like a timeframe I could commit too although I don't want to interfere with those wanting to do Colchuck....

Would anyone be interested in doing Wedge Mt. for HIke of the MOnth in July? That way we could get Lloyd's last lunchbox and also the new Wedge Mt. cache. Mapmaker? Will you post a map to give folks food for thought? That looks like a timeframe I could commit too although I don't want to interfere with those wanting to do Colchuck....

We plan on doing this one sometime in July as well. We would have our kiddos though so it would be just pluggin along for us. But if you want company you could always tag with us.

How about hiking the Devils Gulch trail up Mission Creek. There is a cache called Journey to the Center of WA which from the trailhead at the Mission Creek road makes for a 7 mile RT hike. What's interesting about this cache is that its located at the official geographical center of Washington state. Evidently there is a benchmark near the cache for the geographical center. This cache has only had 3 finders in 3 years, and they all 3 found it on the same day, May 30, 2005. Maybe we should give it some more visitors?

1a53d047-3e6a-46f1-a0c0-9b40ccfb43bb.jpg

Our June Hike will be SATURDAY JUNE 28~We will do the Devil's Gulch Trail to the cache Journey to the Center of WA. Check out the map above. Details to follow..

Hmm...this looks interesting on June 28. Can Wet Siders apply? :(

The Colchuck Lake hike also looks cool. If it's not your July hike and someone's going another time, I'd be interested. I need to do more hiking over on your side. Of course, I might need a place to stay if I come over; gas costs as much as a hotel now, I may have to choose!

Edited by hydnsek

Would anyone be interested in doing Wedge Mt. for HIke of the MOnth in July? That way we could get Lloyd's last lunchbox and also the new Wedge Mt. cache. Mapmaker? Will you post a map to give folks food for thought?

Sure, here it is, but its also on the cache page. The scenery from the top of Wedge Mountain is one of the best I think I've ever seen, where you look into the Enchantments (the Snow lakes surrounded by 8000 ft and higher granite peaks). If anyone wants to do that hike, let me know cause I'd like to go back, this time with a better camera. I want to take a high quality panoramic photo that I can print poster size and hang on my wall at my office.

The view from the top of Wedge Mountain

ff4d077c-11e0-4001-a8e7-060fa416f05d.jpg

The route to the top of Wedge Mountain (Green Line is Hiway 97, Red Line is Mountain Home Road and FS 7305, Blue Line is trail to the top which is 1.5 miles with 1600 ft elevation gain).

71f01961-d4f7-4edd-b802-e7b1c362eb22.jpg

Sure, here it is, but its also on the cache page. The scenery from the top of Wedge Mountain is one of the best I think I've ever seen, where you look into the Enchantments (the Snow lakes surrounded by 8000 ft and higher granite peaks). If anyone wants to do that hike, let me know cause I'd like to go back, this time with a better camera. I want to take a high quality panoramic photo that I can print poster size and hang on my wall at my office.

The view from the top of Wedge Mountain

ff4d077c-11e0-4001-a8e7-060fa416f05d.jpg

I must say it again - that picture is fabulous. :P If your pan comes out as good as that, I'd be tempted to see if I can get a copy of it. :D

Hmmm...I had no idea that Wedge Mountain was as beauterific as that. I have to say, whichever one is chosen would be great.

What I gather as the pros and cons:

Wedge Mtn:long twisty dirt road driving but the hike being shorter.

Colchuck: shorter easier drive but longer steeper hike.

I'm easy but in better shape for Wedge Mtn...

I really stink at the quoting/replying stuff. SO-

June 28= Mission Creek TH of Devil's Gulch to hike to Journey to the Center of WA. It would be nice to be at the TH at 8 to start the hike. We should probably carpool from Wenatchee- meet at the Easy St. Park and Ride? Any volunteers for driving? Everyone welcome! Tell your friends! The more the merrier!

July 19= Wedgie Mt. OR Colchuck Lake. My vote is Wedgie..... anyone have strong feelings?

Thanks for the map Nav, you know I have no idea to get that map from the cache pg to the forums. DUH! Maybe I can arrange a playdate for the kids and get Mr. g-people up there to take a super fancy photo.

mmauvil you mentioned your family going in July--- which hike? Wedgie or Colchuck?

Okay I think that was it...

Actually, the Wedge Mountain hike is twice as steep as the Colchuck hike, but shorter distance.

The incline on Wedge Mountain is 1600 feet in 1.5 miles, or 1066 ft/mile average. Colchuck Lake incline is 2200 feet in 4.1 miles, or 536 ft/mile average.

Regarding the choice between Colchuck and Wedge Mountain hikes, here are my estimates of total time durations for both trips.

Wedge Mountain

Driving time round trip: 2 hours

Hiking Time round trip at 1 mph: 3 hours

Waypoint time: 0.5 hours

TOTAL: 5.5 hours

Colchuck Lake

Driving time round trip: 2.5 hours

Hiking Time round trip at 2 mph: 4 hours

Waypoint time: 0.5 hours

TOTAL: 7 hours

My hike time to Wedge Mountain was 3.5 hours round trip, but that included taking a wrong turn at a fork in the trail which led me across a meadow to an old miners log cabin (also worth seeing). Plus, I made short stops along the way to gaze at the views and make a couple of cell phone calls. If you pushed it, you could probably hike Wedge Mountain round trip in 2.5 hours. Waypoint time may be longer as it includes time for cache hunting, gazing at the wonderful views, exploring the area near the cache, photo shoots, lunch or snack time, etc.

So for those under a time crunch, Wedge Mountain would be the quickest. It doesn't matter to me which one is selected for the July group hike.

I really stink at the quoting/replying stuff. SO-

June 28= Mission Creek TH of Devil's Gulch to hike to Journey to the Center of WA. It would be nice to be at the TH at 8 to start the hike. We should probably carpool from Wenatchee- meet at the Easy St. Park and Ride? Any volunteers for driving? Everyone welcome! Tell your friends! The more the merrier!

July 19= Wedgie Mt. OR Colchuck Lake. My vote is Wedgie..... anyone have strong feelings?

Thanks for the map Nav, you know I have no idea to get that map from the cache pg to the forums. DUH! Maybe I can arrange a playdate for the kids and get Mr. g-people up there to take a super fancy photo.

mmauvil you mentioned your family going in July--- which hike? Wedgie or Colchuck?

Okay I think that was it...

June 28, no bueno para me. I have a Czech kid I'm shipping home that day...been waiting a year to say the Czech is in the mail...

July 19, Wedge Mtn! I can fit only take 1 other person up with me since I'll be taking the Royal PIA's (aka: 17 yr old son) truck. The Geo-ignorant spouse still won't let me take the Sequoia off road! :unsure: grrrr

Regarding parking at the Devils Gulch trailhead, you need to have a parking permit issued by the US Forest Service. They cost $5 for a 3-day pass, or you can purchase a 1-year pass for $30. They are good for any FS trailhead. They can be purchased at the FS building near Easy Street, Hooked on Toys, Arlberg, or Mounatin Air (near Lowes).

Option: There is a parking area that does not require a parking permit, located about 0.3 miles down the road, towards Cashmere, that can fit about 3 vehicles.

There was a little discussion at the rafting event about the terrain. From my topo maps it appears to be a very gradual incline. Here is a comparison to last months hike to Horse Lake Mountain:

Horse Lake Mountain Hike: 1540 feet gain in 4 miles = 385 feet gain/mile (averaged)

Devils Gulch hike: 862 feet gain in 3.5 miles = 246 feet gain/mile (averaged)

Regarding parking at the Devils Gulch trailhead, you need to have a parking permit issued by the US Forest Service. They cost $5 for a 3-day pass, or you can purchase a 1-year pass for $30. They are good for any FS trailhead. They can be purchased at the FS building near Easy Street, Hooked on Toys, Arlberg, or Mounatin Air (near Lowes).

Is that the same as a Northwest Forest Pass?

CACHE-CADIAN JUNE HIKE

WHERE: Devil's Gulch Trail to cache Journey to the Center of WA via Mission Creek Rd.

WHEN: Saturday June 28, 2008. Depart from Easy St. Park and Ride in Wenatchee at 7:30 arriving at trailhead around 8'ish to start hike. We are hoping to be back at the Park and Ride by 12:30.

PARTICULARS: We need to get a body count, I mean head count, to arrange for carpooling. Not only will we save gas (let's give the drivers a few bucks) but there is very limited parking available at the trailhead and we will need to have NW Forest Passes for parking at the closest spot to the trailhead.

Please post here if you are planning to hike AND if you plan to carpool from Easy St. AND if you are willing to drive your rig. Again there are only a few spots so it would be nice if we could plan 2 or 3 cars only to go.

SO FAR:

G-people (1)

Navigatorz (1)

mmauvil (1)

Tenya (1)

Maybes (need to confirm):

Mr. Gadget #2

Max-x

K-Ddid

Patudles

hydnsek

lady jane

full coverage

I may have missed some of the maybes...sorry....let me know if you have any questions.

CACHE-CADIAN JUNE HIKE

WHERE: Devil's Gulch Trail to cache Journey to the Center of WA via Mission Creek Rd.

WHEN: Saturday June 28, 2008. Depart from Easy St. Park and Ride in Wenatchee at 7:30 arriving at trailhead around 8'ish to start hike. We are hoping to be back at the Park and Ride by 12:30.

PARTICULARS: We need to get a body count, I mean head count, to arrange for carpooling. Not only will we save gas (let's give the drivers a few bucks) but there is very limited parking available at the trailhead and we will need to have NW Forest Passes for parking at the closest spot to the trailhead.

Please post here if you are planning to hike AND if you plan to carpool from Easy St. AND if you are willing to drive your rig. Again there are only a few spots so it would be nice if we could plan 2 or 3 cars only to go.

SO FAR:

G-people (1)

Navigatorz (1)

mmauvil (1)

Tenya (1)

Mr. Gadget #2

Max-x

K-Ddid

Patudles

hydnsek

lady jane

full coverage

I may have missed some of the maybes...sorry....let me know if you have any questions.

I am back from vacation and plan on joining you on the hike. I am bringing two friends along.

PARTICULARS: We need to get a body count, I mean head count, to arrange for carpooling.

There will be 3 total from The Navigatorz group (myself, daughter and her fiance). I can drive the Navigator so I can take 2 more (5 total) and I have a Northwest Forest Pass. I heard from KD-did and he said he will not go on this hike, but may do the July hike.

CACHE-CADIAN JUNE HIKE

SO FAR:

G-people (1)

Navigatorz (1)

mmauvil (1)

Tenya (1)

Mr. Gadget #2

Max-x

K-Ddid

Patudles

hydnsek

lady jane

full coverage

Saturday's hike.....

SO FAR:

G-people (1)

Navigatorz (1)

Jaken (2)

mmauvil (1)

Tenya (1)

Max-x (2)

Patudles (3)

Mr. Gadget #2

lady jane

full coverage

We'll miss KD-Did, Robinego and Hydnsek but will look forward to seeing them at the Wedgie Mt. Hike July 19. Mark your calendars!

Nav, Max-x and mmauvil have all offered to drive. That should be plenty of space! See you all bright and early on Sat. Remember, departing from Easy St. park and ride at 7:30!

Edited by g-people

I'm not absolutely sure about my parents yet. They were excited about the hike and all set to go, and then I was talking to my mom on the phone and mentioned "Saturday", and found out that she had thought that it would be on Sunday. I had given her the date a long time ago, but somehow she didn't make the connection. :ph34r: They're still trying to figure out if Saturday will work for them.

I'm not absolutely sure about my parents yet. They were excited about the hike and all set to go, and then I was talking to my mom on the phone and mentioned "Saturday", and found out that she had thought that it would be on Sunday. I had given her the date a long time ago, but somehow she didn't make the connection. :lol: They're still trying to figure out if Saturday will work for them.

Funny, somehow that kind of happens around you doesn't it? :D

Not that I could possibly have ever done something similar. :ph34r:

I'm not absolutely sure about my parents yet. They were excited about the hike and all set to go, and then I was talking to my mom on the phone and mentioned "Saturday", and found out that she had thought that it would be on Sunday. I had given her the date a long time ago, but somehow she didn't make the connection. :D They're still trying to figure out if Saturday will work for them.

Funny, somehow that kind of happens around you doesn't it? :ph34r:

Not that I could possibly have ever done something similar. :(

:lol: I was totally thinking of you the whole time I was typing this post! :D

Not so good news for the Devils Gulch hike:

I did a little internet search on the Devils Gulch trail this evening, just to see if I could find any photos or trail information. What I found out may cause for a change in plans for this Saturdays hike.

According to this article BBTC, the writer states that the trail crosses Mission Creek several times. A recent update on May 26 of this year states "Be Prepared to get your feet wet as the river was running high and swift for three or four of the crossings. The last one was thigh deep on me, I am 5'8" and one of our group almost lost their bike to the current".

We should have picked up on this from the Journey to Center of WA cache page where it states "Take an extra pair of socks, because you'll need to ford a stream or two. When the snow melts, the water may be too high, don't risk it!"

So at this point I'm thinking not everyone will want to ford a stream and get wet. Any thoughts or suggestions? We're getting down to only 2 days left so we need to communicate on this.

I talked to Patudles about this today and she had a suggestion for an alternate hike. What does everyone think about hiking to Eight mile lake instead? The cache page says its a 3.2 mile hike to the lake with a 1300 ft elevation gain. Beautiful scenery at the lake.

Sorry about the last minute news, but its better to think about doing an alternate hike, than start up Devils Gulch only to turn around part way because we couldn't cross Mission Creek. Hope to hear from everyone soon.

The hiking distance and hike time is about the same for both hikes.

Google maps gives the following for driving time from Wenatchee to the trailheads.

Devils Gulch trailhead: 40 minutes

Eightmile Lake trailhead: 1 hour

Thanks for the quick responses. I heard from just about everyone either by email or phone. Looks like we're sticking with the plan to Journey to the Center of WA (Devils Gulch). The forecast for Saturday is 100 degrees so it may be nice to get a little wet. I'm going to pack in an old pair of tennies to wear when crossing the creeks. I'm looking forward to the adventure. See everyone on Saturday.

Yeah, it's a definite no for my parents, unfortunately. They made some calls and it was confirmed that they're in charge of some things on Saturday and can't change that (although they said if the hike started in the afternoon, it's possible they could make it :D ).

Have fun, you guys! :D

Edited by Ambrosia

This Happy group of Cache-cadians made it to the Center of Washington. It was a hot day, but a fun journey. Thanks to g-people who organized the hike. We missed you!! Thanks everyone who came to the hike. Looking forward to next months hike.

What a great photo! You can't tell that it was like 90 degrees! I am so glad you all had fun but have to admit I am jealous that I couldn't make it afterall. I was so looking forward to fording a creek! July 19---- Wedgie Mt. :D

f51069a0-8fae-4c56-be52-047821ba6e4b.jpg

This Happy group of Cache-cadians made it to the Center of Washington. It was a hot day, but a fun journey. Thanks to g-people who organized the hike. We missed you!! Thanks everyone who came to the hike. Looking forward to next months hike.

Names?

CONGRATULATIONS to MMAuvil for getting milestone # 400. Isn't this fun! May you have just as much fun on your way to your next milestone.

Thank you! I'm really having fun and enjoying myself! And all the wonderful people I've met along my journey, thanks!

f51069a0-8fae-4c56-be52-047821ba6e4b.jpg

Names?

Back Row: Mr Gadget #2 and MAX-X

Middle Row: Patudles, MAX-X better half (Joan), mmauvil, Tenya, Navigatorz

Up Front: Jaken

CONGRATULATIONS to MMAuvil for getting milestone # 400. Isn't this fun! May you have just as much fun on your way to your next milestone.

Congratulations!! I was with you when you found 300. Doesn't seem that long ago. You'll have 500 in the bag before summer is over. :)

Way to go girl! I agree with the Nav, wasn't long ago that you hit 300 on the trails. You'll be catching up to me in no time while I celebrate my milestones in 10's (ha ha). :)

There's an article in the Wenatchee outdoors newsletter where some of the Wenatchee Outdoors staff hiked up Wedge Mountain on June 18 (4 days after I hid my cache). What interesting about the article is it seems they got to see a mountain goat who was hanging around at the summit. CLICK HERE for a detailed hike report with a photo of the goat. That would be neat if we could see him too on our hike. g-people would probably nickname him "Wedgie".

There's an article in the Wenatchee outdoors newsletter where some of the Wenatchee Outdoors staff hiked up Wedge Mountain on June 18 (4 days after I hid my cache). What interesting about the article is it seems they got to see a mountain goat who was hanging around at the summit. CLICK HERE for a detailed hike report with a photo of the goat. That would be neat if we could see him too on our hike. g-people would probably nickname him "Wedgie".

That is his name! Wedgie Goat. So it is time to get conditioned for our next hike:

JULY HIKE OF THE MONTH

The plan is to hike up Wedge MT to the cache that is up there, aptly named Wedgie Mt. :(

DATE: JULY 19

We need to get a head count and figure out when we are going to start and carpooling since there is limited parking.

PLEASE POST HERE IF YOU ARE PLANNING TO JOIN THE HIKE!

That is his name! Wedgie Goat. So it is time to get conditioned for our next hike:

JULY HIKE OF THE MONTH

The plan is to hike up Wedge MT to the cache that is up there, aptly named Wedgie Mt. :ph34r:

DATE: JULY 19

We need to get a head count and figure out when we are going to start and carpooling since there is limited parking.

PLEASE POST HERE IF YOU ARE PLANNING TO JOIN THE HIKE!

ME and possible two friends (like last time). We will take our own car so I will not hold any of you all back as I just tudle along. Looking forward to this hike!