Cache-cadians

The Navigatorz

To those that enjoy hiking in and exploring new areas, I highly recommend the Lake Lenore caves area. The coulee to the east of the caves is a treasure for the eyes to see. The area was carved out by the Ice Age floods, leaving basaltic cliffs, rivulets and channels, basins, and lakes. Caches in the area are located to show you some of these geological and historical wonders, such as the caves, the coulee, a petroglyph, and a large basin with an ancient lake. Total round trip distance to see them all is 3.5 miles. Guaranteed you won't be disappointed.

To those that enjoy hiking in and exploring new areas, I highly recommend the Lake Lenore caves area. The coulee to the east of the caves is a treasure for the eyes to see. The area was carved out by the Ice Age floods, leaving basaltic cliffs, rivulets and channels, basins, and lakes. Caches in the area are located to show you some of these geological and historical wonders, such as the caves, the coulee, a petroglyph, and a large basin with an ancient lake. Total round trip distance to see them all is 3.5 miles. Guaranteed you won't be disappointed.

I've fished Lenore,but this was way before caching. Inmywoods and i'll have to do some exploring out there at some point. My grandfather and I started towards the caves, but we didn't go very far...the focus was on giant cutthroat!.

Wow, that looks like a great hike. Thanks for sharing, it's on my to-do list now.

maybe it is time to have a hike of the month in cache-cadian country. Seems there is a group of us that enjoy the hikes and more with company. I know for the hike of it #2 has been on my list for some time....

Enjoyed Lenore Caves and The Land that Time Forgot hikes... wish I would have had time to go after the others. Definately must do's!

Ok it's settled then.... Saturday, April 12 @ 8 a.m. meet at the Appleatchee Saddlerock trailhead to do For the Hike of it #2. Bring water, hiking stick, good hiking shoes, snack, camera. It should take around 3 hours round trip IF we aren't stopping at the others along the way. Depends on who comes I guess! So far just myself and Navigatorz are planning to go so the more the merrier! Pass it on to those you know will be interested!

Ok it's settled then.... Saturday, April 12 @ 8 a.m. meet at the Appleatchee Saddlerock trailhead to do For the Hike of it #2. Bring water, hiking stick, good hiking shoes, snack, camera. It should take around 3 hours round trip IF we aren't stopping at the others along the way. Depends on who comes I guess! So far just myself and Navigatorz are planning to go so the more the merrier! Pass it on to those you know will be interested!

Darn it, I'm in Naramata this weekend and Victoria the next. I think I'm going to have to sneak up there all alone on a weekday since my weekends are booked for a long time. I will probably do this hike early Friday morning so don't get any ideas about planting a new cache up there the next day!!! :unsure:

maybe it is time to have a hike of the month in cache-cadian country. Seems there is a group of us that enjoy the hikes and more with company. I know for the hike of it #2 has been on my list for some time....

Enjoyed Lenore Caves and The Land that Time Forgot hikes... wish I would have had time to go after the others. Definately must do's!

Hey it sounds like a great idea. It has been almost three weeks since I have had a good hike. I need it. look forward to seeing everyone. Be there with bells on.

Edited by K-Ddid

We had a great FIRST Cache-cadian HIKE OF THE MONTH today! 4 people participated and we hiked just over 5 miles in about 3 hours (including picnic, photo and extra cache stops). We had a great time! The weather was gorgeous and the company was great! It was really fun getting to know each other a bit better while out doing something we all have in common. SO- when will the next one be and where should it be??

It would be nice to do a basin area cache before it gets too hot or too snakey. Is there interest in doing a quincy lakes hike to caches like Homestead, Potholes Coulee etc? Is that too far of a drive for folks?

As for when- Thoughts?

It would be nice to do a basin area cache before it gets too hot or too snakey. Is there interest in doing a quincy lakes hike to caches like Homestead, Potholes Coulee etc? Is that too far of a drive for folks?

As for when- Thoughts?

I have two little kids (4&5 yr olds) that would love to come along if it wasn't a hassle for the rest of you. And I would love to go on a hike in this area as well. We are situated in Quincy and would be willing to travel a bit.

edited: I should be logged in as Creami Cannoli, this is my 5 yr old's name and was logging her finds from earlier tonight. Ooops!!

Edited by JordanJean

20b20fe3-7dae-4546-876a-3f6d7c996a31.jpg

Here is a map showing the caches in the Ancient Lakes Area. I agree that this would be a nice choice for the next Hike of the Month. The question is, Which caches do we choose to go after? This is a large area with deep coulees and ribs between caches. One idea would be to hike to Some Other Time, then continue on to Homestead. But I think Gadget and KD-did already did those. (The ones in red text are the ones I already found). Another idea is to hike to the northern 4, which are Potholes Coulee, Ancient Cliff View, Holy Moly, and Ancient Lakes Amphitheater. Any thoughts? Note, the green line is the gravel road that heads south from the Whitehorse Trail road and goes by Quincy and Burke lakes and accesses several trailheads, including trailheads to Dusty Lake and the Ancient Lakes.

As far as when? Any Saturday or Sunday is fine, just pick a date and I'll be there.

That was a fun hike yesterday indeed. I ran across this cool photo that someone took after hiking up to Saddle Rock. It looks westward and you can see the lone tree that we hiked to (Upper left in the distance) where the cache is located. What's really cool about this photo is at the time, the sun was rising in the East, so you can see the shadow of Saddle Rock against the hillside.

EquinoxHike-550-4.JPG

20b20fe3-7dae-4546-876a-3f6d7c996a31.jpg

Another idea is to hike to the northern 4, which are Potholes Coulee, Ancient Cliff View, Holy Moly, and Ancient Lakes Amphitheater.

When in doubt, do a Bruce Bjornstad cache (in this case, Potholes Coulee). :mad: Lucyandrickie and I did a very nice hike of these four a couple years ago. Highly recommended! Of course, that was also our famous rattlesnake hike; we saw three (but it was June).

Edited by hydnsek

I'm thinking the group of 4- Ancient Lake Amp, Ancient Cliff View, Potholes Coulee, and Holy Moly. I tried to go after Potholes once two Junes ago and turned back after I met a rattlesnake and was alone. Not sure where we would start. I know there is an Ancient Lakes trailhead and a trailhead at Potholes Coulee. I am also looking at Sunday April 27. ??? Saturdays are toast for awhile for my family.

To respond to Creami Cannoli/Jordan Jean's question.... Many of us have kids and would bring them along to hikes that they are up to doing skill/endurance wise. I didn't bring my hiker cacher kids to our Saddlerock hike because it would have been too hard and long for them (7,4 and 6 months). I won't bring mine for this next one if we do the group of four cuz I will end up carrying the 4 year old and all the cliffs around would make it more difficult for me to enjoy the hike. SO I guess I am saying it is up to you!

I'm thinking the group of 4- Ancient Lake Amp, Ancient Cliff View, Potholes Coulee, and Holy Moly.

To respond to Creami Cannoli/Jordan Jean's question.... Many of us have kids and would bring them along to hikes that they are up to doing skill/endurance wise. I didn't bring my hiker cacher kids to our Saddlerock hike because it would have been too hard and long for them (7,4 and 6 months). I won't bring mine for this next one if we do the group of four cuz I will end up carrying the 4 year old and all the cliffs around would make it more difficult for me to enjoy the hike. SO I guess I am saying it is up to you!

Thank you! We just moved up here and I haven't been out exploring much to know what the hikes would be like.

I really want to do that group of 4 that you listed. If you go, let me know and I can get a sitter!

We had a great FIRST Cache-cadian HIKE OF THE MONTH today! 4 people participated and we hiked just over 5 miles in about 3 hours (including picnic, photo and extra cache stops). We had a great time! The weather was gorgeous and the company was great! It was really fun getting to know each other a bit better while out doing something we all have in common. SO- when will the next one be and where should it be??

As for when- Thoughts?

:laughing: YES, I HOPE WE CAN PUT SOMETHING TOGETHER. We all have our own agenda. I didn't get any caches on the April cache. Therefore I am looking at Potholes Coulee-East End,GC1AFRR; Dusty Lake High Point GC1A0C9; Dusty Lake View, GC1A0BZ and Dusty Trails, GC12J19 because I have all the rest. There is also a Terracache I would welcome if it proved convenient.

Anyone up for a good hike this coming Friday? I have the day off and am looking at taking on Sauer Mountain up by Peshastin. The hike to Sweet and Sauer To Go is 3 miles one way with a 1700 foot elevation gain. Take a look at the gallery of pictures on the cache page. The view looks fantastic. I will be doing cache maintenance on Sauer Rock for g-people near the trailhead. Also there is a multi called Welcome Friends to find along the way. Let me know either here or by Email. Weather forecast for Friday is 61 degrees and partly cloudy. Should be good hiking weather.

I'm thinking the group of 4- Ancient Lake Amp, Ancient Cliff View, Potholes Coulee, and Holy Moly. I tried to go after Potholes once two Junes ago and turned back after I met a rattlesnake and was alone. Not sure where we would start. I know there is an Ancient Lakes trailhead and a trailhead at Potholes Coulee. I am also looking at Sunday April 27. ??? Saturdays are toast for awhile for my family.

I'm in! My hubby will actually be home and be able to stay with the kids! I need some "mommy time"!

Edited by mmauvil

I wasn't able to find a trails map for that area, so I took a stab at creating a route for the hike. Robinego provided waypoints for parking and a trail fork on the page for her cache called Holy Moly. Thanks Robinego. With those waypoints added on the map, and looking at the terrain, I laid out a route as shown below. We could also add Gadget's Dusty Lake caches for those who haven't found those yet. It will be interesting to see how our track logs look after the hike.

Thoughts? Suggestions from those who have already been to those caches?

614cee4b-cab0-4840-ba36-17cedc3a9fd5.jpg

Anyone up for a good hike this coming Friday? I have the day off and am looking at taking on Sauer Mountain up by Peshastin. The hike to Sweet and Sauer To Go is 3 miles one way with a 1700 foot elevation gain. Take a look at the gallery of pictures on the cache page. The view looks fantastic. I will be doing cache maintenance on Sauer Rock for g-people near the trailhead. Also there is a multi called Welcome Friends to find along the way. Let me know either here or by Email. Weather forecast for Friday is 61 degrees and partly cloudy. Should be good hiking weather.

I am going to try to get the day off and join you on that hike.

For those of you doing the ancient lakes caches on the 27th, another option for you might be to have a car or two down at the bottom of the lakes near "Three Ancient Ladies". That way you get an extra cache and you don't have to hike back up and out. It makes for a great round trip hike.

CACHE-CADIANS HIKE OF THE MONTH-APRIL (again)!!!!

WHEN: Sunday April 27, 7:30 a.m. meet at park n' ride near costco (mugglicious cache for coords),

Hike at 8:15

WHERE: Quincy Lakes- see Navigatorz previously posted map for route to Potholes Coulee Cache, HOly Moly, Ancient Cliff View, and Ancient Lakes Amphitheater.

Some may also do Dusty Lake High Pt and Dusty Lake View. Dusty Trails and Potholes Coulee- Eastend are doable too depending on folks' time committment.

The Hike of The Month MapMaker (Navigatorz) is estimating the hike will be about 3 miles-ish depending on if we add on extra caches. Please review the cache pages so you are aware of the terrain and can prepare accordingly.

We need to figure out carpooling if people want to share gas $$. Navigatorz can take two more people. For those who just want to meet at the trailhead- we will park at the trailhead as marked on the map near the restrooms. I will look for parking coords to post.

Please post here so we know how many people to expect, especially if you want to carpool!

Edited by g-people

CACHE-CADIANS HIKE OF THE MONTH-APRIL (again)!!!!

WHEN: Sunday April 27, 7:30 a.m. meet at park n' ride near costco (mugglicious cache for coords),

Hike at 8:15

WHERE: Quincy Lakes- see Navigatorz previously posted map for route to Potholes Coulee Cache, HOly Moly, Ancient Cliff View, and Ancient Lakes Amphitheater.

Some may also do Dusty Lake High Pt and Dusty Lake View. Dusty Trails and Potholes Coulee- Eastend are doable too depending on folks' time committment.

The Hike of The Month MapMaker (Navigatorz) is estimating the hike will be about 3 miles-ish depending on if we add on extra caches. Please review the cache pages so you are aware of the terrain and can prepare accordingly.

We need to figure out carpooling if people want to share gas $$. Navigatorz can take two more people. For those who just want to meet at the trailhead- we will park at the trailhead as marked on the map near the restrooms. I will look for parking coords to post.

Please post here so we know how many people to expect, especially if you want to carpool!

REMINDER!!!! The Hike of the Month is still planned for Sunday. Looks like a limited turnout again! Darn, hopefully as we do caches/hikes that have not already been found by a large number of people we will get a better response.

The Gadgets are sooo excited that we are headed to them for once that they are having a post hike cookout at Quincy Lakes. I think Mr. Gadget just wants to watch us try to get his new 4 terrain cache hide there! <_< Email them for more info on the cookout if you want!

REMINDER!!!! The Hike of the Month is still planned for Sunday. Looks like a limited turnout again! Darn, hopefully as we do caches/hikes that have not already been found by a large number of people we will get a better response.

The Gadgets are sooo excited that we are headed to them for once that they are having a post hike cookout at Quincy Lakes. I think Mr. Gadget just wants to watch us try to get his new 4 terrain cache hide there! :lol: Email them for more info on the cookout if you want! [/color] [/size] [/size]

I'm excited about the hike tomorrow. Looks like it will be great weather. See you at the Park n Ride at 7:30 AM. Looking forward to the after-hike cookout too. :P

1dbd94e7-35a0-4496-92f7-ee5e4c614aa6.jpg

Awesome hike today in the Ancient Lakes area with g-people and mmauvil. This is one of the many scenic views, taken from Ancient Lake View cache. Thanks g-people for organizng the hike and Thanks Mr and Mrs Gadget for the picnic lunch. Looking forward to the next hike.

We had so much fun and did 6 or so caches in 6 or so miles!! Once again- great scenary, great hike, great company and this time; great food!

So where should the MAY Hike of the Month be? When and where???

Is anyone else from Cache-Cadia going to the WWFM III in Central Washington next Saturday?

I am going to go and then come back on old Hiway 10 from Cle Elum towards Ellensburg. Does anyone want to carpool or caravan with me? The Flash Mob events are a lot of fun from what I have heard.

Talk to everyone later.

Blue Jay

Jon

Darn, sounds like fun! Unfortunately that is hubby's b-day and we have to do what he wants. I guess Mother's day (aka caching day) is the NEXT day! :P

Does anyone know if the road to Mission Ridge ski area will be closed again this summer, like it was last summer? I really want to hike up to Altitude Is Your Friend cache when the snow melts. It looks to be a 3 mile hike from the parking area at the lodge with a 2000 foot elevation gain to the cache. Since I don't downhill ski, my access to the cache will be the hike. Perhaps a good Hike of the Month candidate for July or August.

I'm not sure what their plans are, but they didn't finish the last bit of road just before the end so it's possible that they will close it. Although if they do, it shouldn't be as long as last year.

Here's an article from the Wenatchee World. Looks like the road will be closed until fall. Bummer. I guess there is a way around it though. Haul a mountain bike up the Liberty-Beehive road to the pipeline trail, then bike ride to the lodge. The pipeline trail from where it intersects the Liberty-Beehive road to the lodge is 2 miles one-way and nearly flat terrain. That would be quite the day...4 miles RT on a mountain bike plus 6 miles RT hiking with a 1900 ft elevation gain....all for a micro. :o

Is anyone else from Cache-Cadia going to the WWFM III in Central Washington next Saturday?

I am going to go and then come back on old Hiway 10 from Cle Elum towards Ellensburg. Does anyone want to carpool or caravan with me? The Flash Mob events are a lot of fun from what I have heard.

Talk to everyone later.

Blue Jay

Jon

Would love to go with ya, but I have commitments on that morning.

So where should the MAY Hike of the Month be? When and where???[/color][/size]

How about hiking up to Twin Peaks on Horselake Mountain? I've never been up there and now there's a new Cache there. The hike is 7 miles RT with a 1650 ft. elevation gain.

Sounds good---- anyone interested for HIKE OF MAY ?? Problem is the only weekend I may be available this month is memorial day weekend. Is anyone up for that? Next date would be June 1. Anyone interested in a group hike?

How about hiking up to Twin Peaks on Horselake Mountain? I've never been up there and now there's a new Cache there. The hike is 7 miles RT with a 1650 ft. elevation gain.

Sounds good---- anyone interested for HIKE OF MAY ?? Problem is the only weekend I may be available this month is memorial day weekend. Is anyone up for that? Next date would be June 1. Anyone interested in a group hike?

How about both weekends that should take care of both months. I can do those weekends. I will be leaving on vacation on the 2nd of June.

How about both weekends that should take care of both months. I can do those weekends. I will be leaving on vacation on the 2nd of June.

EXCELLENT!!! WE have only had 3 or 4 people on the hikes- which is just as fun but we were hoping for more interest. It is hard to pick days that people are all available. There is one cache up there (twin peaks) and rumor has it that there may be a 2nd one put up there..... Sat the 24th looks good to me...

Thoughts on a June hike? I would like to do Tramping up the Icicle but that may be a great July hike. I was also hoping to do Altitude is my Friend but that looks like it may be a no-go this summer with the road being closed..... other ideas?

I'm not sure what their plans are, but they didn't finish the last bit of road just before the end so it's possible that they will close it. Although if they do, it shouldn't be as long as last year.

Here's an article from the Wenatchee World. Looks like the road will be closed until fall. Bummer. I guess there is a way around it though. Haul a mountain bike up the Liberty-Beehive road to the pipeline trail, then bike ride to the lodge. The pipeline trail from where it intersects the Liberty-Beehive road to the lodge is 2 miles one-way and nearly flat terrain. That would be quite the day...4 miles RT on a mountain bike plus 6 miles RT hiking with a 1900 ft elevation gain....all for a micro. ;)

Another suggestion is to go up Mission Peak (where "Elk View" and "A Beautiful View" are), then hike over the ridge from there.

other ideas?

Another suggestion. A hike that's been on my To-Do list for some time is to Colchuck Lake. The hike is about 8 miles RT with a 2200 ft elevation gain. Take a look at this photo taken at the cache site. Take a look at the gallery too.

ARGH! Colchuck has been on my to-do list for 4 years! I totally biffed it on my bad knee last week playing paintball (but I won thanks to the endo's) so it's been a lot more problematic then usual. I'm hoping it's temporary 'cuz there's a lot of hikes out there screaming my name (not to mention a 3 Day 60 mile walk...)

I am assuming you'll wait until snow melts and you would consider closer to July?

HIKE OF MAY!

SATURDAY MAY 24 @ 7:30

HORSELAKE MT. CACHE IS: Green Grasshopper and Motorcycle Man GC1BQ4C elevation 4589'

The hike is 3.5 miles to the top so 7 miles roundtrip. Not sure where we will meet as there is parking at the gate at the end of Number 2 Canyon but not sure how much parking. Maybe we can park at the WRAC and then consolidate our vehicles there? Not sure how much public parking is available there either.

Any interest?