Cache-cadians

The Navigatorz

I knew that someone would pick apart that sentence. :rolleyes::P

But try arguing with someone giving out tickets that geocachers can be there....and that's what worries me, bringing cachers into a bad light. It just takes one time.

:)

Edited by Ambrosia

I just noticed this thread and it appears that I need to say that I walked up the road, and was in possession of no matches, cigaret lighters or accelerants at the time. There were many other foot prints leading into the area so we proceeded up the trail. Nice cache and a nice view. Thanks. :rolleyes:

I just noticed this thread and it appears that I need to say that I walked up the road, and was in possession of no matches, cigaret lighters or accelerants at the time. There were many other foot prints leading into the area so we proceeded up the trail. Nice cache and a nice view. Thanks. :mad:

Good, thanks. :mad::D<_<

<singing> IT'S GONE...IT'S GONE... <doin' the happy dance> THE BIG UGLY "ROAD CLOSED" SIGN IS GONE...!!!!!

On my way home from work tonight I saw an unmarked (believe me, I can point them out, they aren't unmarked that much - I mean, a car with 14 antennas? Give me a break.) Black Suburban <very MIB> coming down from that area. Piqued my interest and whadya know... that big ugly sign was gone! I'm thinking they knew we cachers were talkin' about them and sending them all sorts of stink eye and they figured they didn't want any trouble and knew they better get rid of it. (that or they needed it else where, but I like my theory better)

Ok, what were we saying about going up as authorized personnel...? I think I need to do a recon mission tomorrow morning. Maybe, just maybe I'll head up there, all sneaky like and say that I'm looking for surviving wildlife habitat. Help me out, I'm a lousy liar!

<singing> IT'S GONE...IT'S GONE... <doin' the happy dance> THE BIG UGLY "ROAD CLOSED" SIGN IS GONE...!!!!!

On my way home from work tonight I saw an unmarked (believe me, I can point them out, they aren't unmarked that much - I mean, a car with 14 antennas? Give me a break.) Black Suburban <very MIB> coming down from that area. Piqued my interest and whadya know... that big ugly sign was gone! I'm thinking they knew we cachers were talkin' about them and sending them all sorts of stink eye and they figured they didn't want any trouble and knew they better get rid of it. (that or they needed it else where, but I like my theory better)

Ok, what were we saying about going up as authorized personnel...? I think I need to do a recon mission tomorrow morning. Maybe, just maybe I'll head up there, all sneaky like and say that I'm looking for surviving wildlife habitat. Help me out, I'm a lousy liar!

Get a hardhat, orange vest and a clipboard. :mad:

Okay!

I spoke with the fire marshall for a while in person this afternoon. I didn't feel that we were clear in our phone call, so I wanted to make sure that I understood everything perfectly.

The thingy says "(E) Access to open public land for legitimate purpose/use." Recreation is considered to be a legitimate purpose. :D The website wasn't clear on that, and sounded like only official people, but now that the horsies with the "ROAD CLOSED" sign are gone, people can drive up Burch Mt. Road as long as they don't drive off road.

But Rod finished by letting me know that searching for plastic containers with dollar store items was not a legitimate purpose. :D:o;) I laughed so hard. I hadn't even mentioned geocaching to him, he just guessed. :):):D

Okay!

I spoke with the fire marshall for a while in person this afternoon. I didn't feel that we were clear in our phone call, so I wanted to make sure that I understood everything perfectly.

The thingy says "(E) Access to open public land for legitimate purpose/use." Recreation is considered to be a legitimate purpose. :D The website wasn't clear on that, and sounded like only official people, but now that the horsies with the "ROAD CLOSED" sign are gone, people can drive up Burch Mt. Road as long as they don't drive off road.

But Rod finished by letting me know that searching for plastic containers with dollar store items was not a legitimate purpose. :lol::(:P I laughed so hard. I hadn't even mentioned geocaching to him, he just guessed. :P:PB)

What if it's a metal container instead? :P

More seriously, if Rod's last statement is serious, then it would seem to conflict with the earlier bits. That is, if recreation is a legitimate land use, and searching for containers (geocaching) is a recreational activity, then how can geocaching not be a legitimate land use? Of course, if he's kidding, then never mind. B) I'm just trying to understand what the actual status of geocaching in the area is, since I'll be over there in a couple weeks.

Okay!

The thingy says "(E) Access to open public land for legitimate purpose/use." Recreation is considered to be a legitimate purpose. B) The website wasn't clear on that, and sounded like only official people, but now that the horsies with the "ROAD CLOSED" sign are gone, people can drive up Burch Mt. Road as long as they don't drive off road.

But Rod finished by letting me know that searching for plastic containers with dollar store items was not a legitimate purpose. :DB):D I laughed so hard. I hadn't even mentioned geocaching to him, he just guessed. :P:lol::(

More seriously, if Rod's last statement is serious, then it would seem to conflict with the earlier bits. That is, if recreation is a legitimate land use, and searching for containers (geocaching) is a recreational activity, then how can geocaching not be a legitimate land use? Of course, if he's kidding, then never mind. :P I'm just trying to understand what the actual status of geocaching in the area is, since I'll be over there in a couple weeks.

This is true, Valley View is an ammo can. :P I should've pointed that out to him. :D

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. He was totally teasing me. He always takes an opportunity to needle people, in good nature. He figured out that I was talking about geocaching, and wanted to poke me.

So. Yes, it's fine to go caching up Burch Mt. Road, as long as the vehicle stays on the road! Just park on the road nearest to the cache and then walk the rest of the way. Have fun!

I'll be replacing "7th Heaven" in the next couple days, so there will be a new cache up thataways for people to go to (as well as Robinego's "$500").

Okay!

But Rod finished by letting me know that searching for plastic containers with dollar store items was not a legitimate purpose. :laughing::laughing::laughing: I laughed so hard. I hadn't even mentioned geocaching to him, he just guessed. :ph34r::laughing::laughing:

What if it's a metal container instead? ;)

More seriously, if Rod's last statement is serious, then it would seem to conflict with the earlier bits. That is, if recreation is a legitimate land use, and searching for containers (geocaching) is a recreational activity, then how can geocaching not be a legitimate land use? Of course, if he's kidding, then never mind. :laughing: I'm just trying to understand what the actual status of geocaching in the area is, since I'll be over there in a couple weeks.

This is true, Valley View is an ammo can. :anicute: I should've pointed that out to him. :D

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. He was totally teasing me. He always takes an opportunity to needle people, in good nature. He figured out that I was talking about geocaching, and wanted to poke me.

So. Yes, it's fine to go caching up Burch Mt. Road, as long as the vehicle stays on the road! Just park on the road nearest to the cache and then walk the rest of the way. Have fun!

I'll be replacing "7th Heaven" in the next couple days, so there will be a new cache up thataways for people to go to (as well as Robinego's "$500").

Well I'm thinking of changing it's name to the 1.92 million dollar cache after how much they calculated they will charge the kid for starting it...

Definately going up tomorrow AM (have the day off finally) and will take a picture of the "plastic puddle" I calla cache container.

Okay!

But Rod finished by letting me know that searching for plastic containers with dollar store items was not a legitimate purpose. <_<:P:ph34r: I laughed so hard. I hadn't even mentioned geocaching to him, he just guessed. :P:D:blink:

More seriously, if Rod's last statement is serious, then it would seem to conflict with the earlier bits. That is, if recreation is a legitimate land use, and searching for containers (geocaching) is a recreational activity, then how can geocaching not be a legitimate land use? Of course, if he's kidding, then never mind. :P I'm just trying to understand what the actual status of geocaching in the area is, since I'll be over there in a couple weeks.

This is true, Valley View is an ammo can. :D I should've pointed that out to him. :D

Well I'm thinking of changing it's name to the 1.92 million dollar cache after how much they calculated they will charge the kid for starting it...

Definately going up tomorrow AM (have the day off finally) and will take a picture of the "plastic puddle" I calla cache container.

Yup, it's gone :huh: . No plastic left either. Just a spot of ash. Had a moment of tearfulness seeing how barren the area is. Check out the photos on the archived page $500 cache

Of course in true geocaching nature, I planted a new one in tribute... the 1.9 Million dollar cache!! :huh:

Has anyone in the Wenatchee area seen this: Wenatchee Outdoors.

Its a new online outdoor magazine specifically for the Wenatchee area. What I found interesting in this edition is an article about extending the Foothills trail system. It appears that work has already started in connecting the trail system from the Horselake area across the west foothills and connect with the trail system in the Saddle Rock area: More about that here. Think of the geocaching site possibilities. All with great views! :ph34r: There is a short video on the web page about the Foothill Trails system. I wonder if the editors would be interested in an article on geocaching?

The web page also features Photo of the week. There is an awesome photo of Rune Lake in the Enchantments.

Edited by The Navigatorz

Here is another link Wenatchee Outdoors with a different look. Interesting articles. This may be one of my favorite web sites to watch and read.

Yeah, that's about my husband's favorite website. :ph34r::D

We had a very interesting thing happen in regards to that. When we were placing our cache, "A Westview of the Valley for Special K", we wanted to talk to one of the neighbours just to let them know about the cache. All41 saw the name on the mailbox and was like...."wow, I wonder if that's the person who runs Wenatchee Outdoors.org!". We talked to a lady, and she was great about the cache. All41 finally asked if there was any relation, and she said that yes, her husband was the owner of the site. All41 was so excited.

So when we went to the cache with our friends The Leprechauns, the owner saw us and ran out to meet us. He was so excited to see that there was a geocache almost in his yard. He was looking forward to seeing people do the cache over time. We talked to him for a while about geocaching. :lol:

I just noticed that if you look down the main page to the GPS reviews, at the end of that article he has a link to geocaching.com.

He's discussed having me and All41 write an article about geocaching for the site, we're still working on that.

I've wanted to submit photos to the site, but they have pretty specific requirements about size and such, and I get overwhelmed. :ph34r::ph34r:

Edited by Ambrosia

That's very cool. I happened to find out about the website through your soon to be new neighbor, who works with me at RI dam. I'm glad the guy you met who runs the Wenatchee Outdoor website accepts geocaching. Maybe he'll mention it as an activity on his website like he lists hiking, biking, skiing, etc. I'm glad you and All41 are working on an article for the site about geocaching. Let me know if I can help out.

That's very cool. I happened to find out about the website through your soon to be new neighbor, who works with me at RI dam. I'm glad the guy you met who runs the Wenatchee Outdoor website accepts geocaching. Maybe he'll mention it as an activity on his website like he lists hiking, biking, skiing, etc. I'm glad you and All41 are working on an article for the site about geocaching. Let me know if I can help out.

My neighbour is there often enough that they almost feel like realy neighbours. They come over every chance they get! :laughing: We need to keep working on them to become cachers. :(

I've written back to the website owner again to get some more info. Hopefully everything will work out. Thanks! :laughing:

Nav said to let him know if I needed any help with the article. So, if anyone has any ideas or suggestions for what they think should be in a geocaching article for this area, post them here. I'm curious what you guys think, and I'll keep it in mind as I gather info for it.

The website said to keep it anywhere from 800 - 9000 words long. They gave me suggestions for what they think could be in the article, such as:

What geocaching is

My personal story and perspective

People I've gotten to know in geocaching and their take on geocaching

Resources: Recommended equipment, Recommended sites, how to get involved with locals

Some pictures: tell a story, show people caching in pretty scenery, kids having fun, etc.

I think they want a good introductory article to geocaching so that they can run more with geocaching things in the future and have this base so that readers know what it is.

Thanks. ;)

Out catching up on some local caches that have popped up and I left alone till it got warm and snow melted. As I was looking for one cache where the coords led me, Ccmin yelled "I fould it!" She was at least 50 feet away from ground zero. I looked over and saw her waving a fist full of cash. That's right. She found the cash. She was snooping around something else and reached down and picked up a container and looked inside. There was a significant amout of cash in it. Yup, the green stuff. We never did find the cache. Made a phone call for help and found out what the cache container was but it wasn't there. Needless to say Ccmin was not disappointed over this DNF. She calls this her best cache ever. I benefited by it also as she took me to dinner.

Edited by Patudles

Out catching up on some local caches that have popped up and I left alone till it got warm and snow melted. As I was looking for one cache where the coords led me, Ccmin yelled "I fould it!" She was at least 50 feet away from ground zero. I looked over and saw her waving a fist full of cash. That's right. She found the cash. She was snooping around something else and reached down and picked up a container and looked inside. There was a significant amout of cash in it. Yup, the green stuff. We never did find the cache. Made a phone call for help and found out what the cache container was but it wasn't there. Needless to say Ccmin was not disappointed over this DNF. She calls this her best cache ever. I benefited by it also as she took me to dinner.

:anicute:

So I finally broke down and called my friend Rod, the Fire Marshall. He told me that Burch Mt. Road was one of the standard roads that get closed every year between the end of July until October or November, as long as the burn restrictions are in effect.

Burn schmurn. These roads get closed to keep kids form partying up there. As a former Wenatchee kid I'm familiar with how things go over there. <_<

Way to go Nav. #2300!! Those milestones just keep a coming. At times slower that others. Now on ward Ho!! for 2400.

Better hurry up there Nav, Gadget's gonna be on your tail before you know it! He passed me without so much as a "howdy" and a wave... :(

When he first started geocaching in Feb. 2005 I already had over 1000 finds. Now 3 years later he has reduced that lead to about 250. So my guess he will pass me sometime this year. But that's quite alright with me. Gone are the days for me of finding 20 to 30 caches on a Saturday I'm just as happy now spending a day going after one or two good quality caches in the high country. <_<

My GPS was found! An ad that was called in to the paper started with "Are you feeling Lost without your GPS?" I had already called in for an ad in the Lost section. The lady at the newspaper made the connection and called me, so the ad was not run. I had a Smiley face day yesterday. :)

:) Nuts. Here I was thinking I was going to finally tackle that cache with Rudy. The plan was to find your GPS, look at all your secret WP's, take note of them since they'll probably be some uber-difficult-mathy-make-my-head-spin-puzzle, find those caches, change your waypoints because I'm feeling fiesty(ier) today, then return it to you so you think I was a nice person. Dang. Some good Samaritan foiled my evil plot!!! :lol:

Actually, I'm happy for you. I can't imagine losing my piece 'o turd GPSr (with missing buttons and all...) since I'm not going to get a new one until the 400t has all it's issues/bugs worked out.

Once again, human kindness is demonstrated and we all are humbled by it. What an awesome feeling.

Congrats Nav! Cool story about the lost and found GPS. Do you know where you left it, or was it dropped somewhere alon the way?

You know, he only wants to know because he had the same idea as I did... :rolleyes:

Hey Xy, good to see you out and about again. So the "The-one-who-must-be-obeyed" is lengthening your leash huh? :laughing:

Worthy news for the Cache'cadians, I have a training hike this weekend (Sunday), and perchance a little box to stash will be in my pack... :unsure:

Congrats Nav! Cool story about the lost and found GPS. Do you know where you left it, or was it dropped somewhere alon the way?

It was dropped along the way. It's nice to have it back. I was feeling a little lost without it. I see your back in the game. That's great. So when are you going to do Rooster Comb? I hiked up there yesterday and today after work. It's a nice evening hike to an awesome view. Let me know if you want to do it some evening and I'll go with you.

It was dropped along the way. It's nice to have it back. I was feeling a little lost without it. I see your back in the game. That's great. So when are you going to do Rooster Comb? I hiked up there yesterday and today after work. It's a nice evening hike to an awesome view. Let me know if you want to do it some evening and I'll go with you.

I just got home from a Burch Mtn training hike (brrr...skiffs of snow up there!) and have Rooster's Comb to do as well. Would you consider an invitation from me to go up or is this a guy thing? :unsure: