Cache-cadians

The Navigatorz

Thanks for all the fun and hospitality you guys showed to me and Prying Pandora on our whirlwind trip over the pass to attend the CacheMas event and do some caching in and around Wenatchee. It was great to see so many at the event dinner and also to hunt the new caches that have been placed since my last trip over in September for the picnic.

Merry Christmas to all!

Half-Canadian and Scooter

Question for the Cache-cadians:

Should a perfectly good geocache be archived if it doesn't get anymore visitors?

I have a couple of geocaches that haven't seen visitors since the fall of 2005. Not a single visitor in 2006. I think the reason why is because most of the local cachers have already found them, and they are kind of out of the way for out of towners to go after.

The caches in question are Beehive Mountain Lookout Site last found on 10/1/2005 and Devils Spur last found on 9/8/2005. I suppose there's no harm leaving them there for another year and see what happens, but with the lack of activity at those sites, I could remove them to free up a location for someone else.

Anyway, I'm curious as to what others think. Also, do you have caches that no longer see activity and what do you plan to do with them?

Chiming in from Coos Bay, OR (with ties to the Okanogan Valley). Just responding to the question in general terms. Personally, I enjoy finding caches that haven't been found for awhile. I intentionally picked a local cache that didn't get much activity for my 100th. It hadn't been found in over a year and it was a nice hike off on a less travelled path.

If the only reason for thinking about archiving a cache is that it doesn't get much activity then I say just leave it as long as you're willing and able to maintain it. This addiction of ours is growing by leaps and bounds and there are always new cachers coming into areas - someone will always want to go for this kind of cache.

On the other hand, I've thought about a couple of mine that haven't had much activity in the last year and wondered if I ought to just archive them and put them out in places where more people will go. BUT, have decided against it for all the reasons above. They are in interesting places and finders always enjoyed the hunt so that's enough for me - even if it's only a few people a year.

BTW - my ties to Okanogan Valley - lived in Tonasket 73-78, brother lives up near Chesaw

Might get up your way this summer - will ask for "must do's" when the time comes.

Merry Christmas all and Happy Caching

Edited to add:

Just looked at your profile and in your own words.....

I started geocaching on September 28, 2002. My brother (Mountainhome) introduced me to this game. I enjoy the hunt, but what I really enjoy most about geocaching is that it brings me to new areas and points of interest I may not have seen otherwise. A great cache in my opinion is not the container or its contents, but its setting, such as at a mountain top viewpoint of the Cascades, or at a Firewatch Lookout Tower, or a natural geological wonder, or a historical artifact such as an abandoned railway tunnel.

Edited by popop

Thanks for all the fun and hospitality you guys showed to me and Prying Pandora on our whirlwind trip over the pass to attend the CacheMas event and do some caching in and around Wenatchee. It was great to see so many at the event dinner and also to hunt the new caches that have been placed since my last trip over in September for the picnic.

Merry Christmas to all!

Half-Canadian and Scooter

I enjoyed visiting with both of you. :laughing:

I haven't done them, either!

Ok. I'll keep them active for 1 more year for you (and others). If not found in 2007, then Poof...they're gone.

I'll try to make a point to go to them, hoping that I'll be up to it this summer.

I think that if it's just sitting there and not causing you any problems, then there isn't any reason to archive it. That's how I look at it anyways.

Ok. I'll keep them active for 1 more year for you (and others). If not found in 2007, then Poof...they're gone.

I'll try to make a point to go to them, hoping that I'll be up to it this summer.

I think that if it's just sitting there and not causing you any problems, then there isn't any reason to archive it. That's how I look at it anyways.

Even though you have committed to keeping the caches for at least 2007, I think I should still chime in. KEEP 'EM! Haven't done them and would like to. I like Gadget's idea of hiding more out there too..... Can you get to either of them in the snow? Snowshoeing?

Even though you have committed to keeping the caches for at least 2007, I think I should still chime in. KEEP 'EM! Haven't done them and would like to. I like Gadget's idea of hiding more out there too..... Can you get to either of them in the snow? Snowshoeing?

You can get to the cache locations by snowshoeing, but the difficulty and terrain rating will probably be 2 or 3 stars higher. With all the snow up there, the gate at the entrance to the Liberty Beehive road is probably closed and locked, so you would have to snowshoe a few miles (compared to a 1/4 mile walk in the summer). Then when you got to the cache locations, better have a shovel as you would need to dig down through several feet of snow to find the cache.

By the way, I should go check on those caches next spring after the snow melts, so if you or anyone wants to come with me, you're more than welcome. Maybe we can do a group hike, and hide a cache or two along the way.

Looks like a TB is stranded up in my Beehive Lookout cache called Traveling Angel

It set out on its journey in July 05 and 6 weeks later ended up in that cache, only to be stranded for 1-1/2 years. Poor TB. We're going to have to go up there and get it back into circulation.

Geez a true 'hider' would have SAVED that TB! :D

I'm game to do a group hike!

Ok, let's do it!! But not until the snow melts. I'm not up to the idea of snowshoeing uphill for several miles, then digging through several feet of snow, just to free a TB (even though it was I that dropped it in that cache 15 months ago). :laughing: Let's shoot for sometime in May next year.

So, it's just a little over a mile round trip?

If you're referring to Devils Spur cache, then yes, its just over a mile with very little elevation gain. Beehive lookout cache is only a 1/4 mile hike in the summer (several miles in the winter since the gate is closed at the Mission Ridge road).

Anyway, it looks like a group hike to Devils Spur is in the making for next spring when the snow melts (possibly both Devils Spur and Beehive Lookout). Who wants to participate? Sounds like g-people are interested. Blue J? Ambrosia? Anyone else? I'll be going too to check on the caches and possibly hide another.

So, it's just a little over a mile round trip?

If you're referring to Devils Spur cache, then yes, its just over a mile with very little elevation gain. Beehive lookout cache is only a 1/4 mile hike in the summer (several miles in the winter since the gate is closed at the Mission Ridge road).

Anyway, it looks like a group hike to Devils Spur is in the making for next spring when the snow melts (possibly both Devils Spur and Beehive Lookout). Who wants to participate? Sounds like g-people are interested. Blue J? Ambrosia? Anyone else? I'll be going too to check on the caches and possibly hide another.

I'd be interested. I like group hikes. If the knees hold out I'll be there.

Thanks. As a non-Cache-cadian who spends way too much time in Wenatchee I'm going to try to do these in 2007.

You can never spend too much time in Wenatchee! Bite your tongue! :laughing:

We're in~ I'd say at least myself and Z although hubby would enjoy, now we just have to talk little J into it. I actually did Beehive Mt. Lookout Sept 3, 05 but there are a bunch up there we haven't done. The chicks kick butt series....wenatchee mt., a beautiful view etc. I wonder if there are a few others we could do and make a "loop" of it.

I like the idea of the Cache-cadians doing a group "hike of the month" type get together like on the west side. I wonder if there would be enough interest here.......

We're in~ I'd say at least myself and Z although hubby would enjoy, now we just have to talk little J into it. I actually did Beehive Mt. Lookout Sept 3, 05 but there are a bunch up there we haven't done. The chicks kick butt series....wenatchee mt., a beautiful view etc. I wonder if there are a few others we could do and make a "loop" of it.

I like the idea of the Cache-cadians doing a group "hike of the month" type get together like on the west side. I wonder if there would be enough interest here.......

<cue spectral voice>

"Plan it and they will come..."

</spectral voice>

I finally got my Maps 60CSx and have been trying to figure out its functions. I see that Jacknap got one also. It must be the GPSr of choice for the season. I had it out for a bit yesterday and it had me going in circles (calibrating the compass). So far I love it and now I need to solve a puzzle cache and give it a workout. I have cut my time at work down to 4 days a week because I am spending way too much time at the office so when all this snow melts I will out there hitting the area doing the caches I didnt get done this year. And hiding some along the way.

Happy New Year to Everyone and see you in 2007.

J

I finally got my Maps 60CSx and have been trying to figure out its functions. I see that Jacknap got one also. It must be the GPSr of choice for the season. I had it out for a bit yesterday and it had me going in circles (calibrating the compass). So far I love it and now I need to solve a puzzle cache and give it a workout. I have cut my time at work down to 4 days a week because I am spending way too much time at the office so when all this snow melts I will out there hitting the area doing the caches I didnt get done this year. And hiding some along the way.

Happy New Year to Everyone and see you in 2007.

J

Congratulations on the new gear, Blue J -- you made a good choice! Glad Santa finally decided to cough up the goods. And it sounds like you're finally getting your priorities straight -- a true cacher never lets work get in the way of what's really important (and we all know what that is) :)

Now, can I put in a request for you to hide more of those uber-kool Ghost Town caches. Those are some of my favourites of yours to seek out :P

Does anyone know where to get some small ziplock plastic bags? Not the sandwich sized bags, but the small kind that are around 1-1/2" x 2" or so to contain log sheets for micros?

Also, for those interested in low cost low maintenance containers, I see that Costco carries a box of 26 various sized Snap n Lok containers (very similar to LoknLok containers), for only $19. That's about $ 0.75 per container. Not bad. That's supply for about 2 years worth of hides. ;)

Edited by The Navigatorz

Does anyone know where to get some small ziplock plastic bags? Not the sandwich sized bags, but the small kind that are around 1-1/2" x 2" or so to contain log sheets for micros?

There's a store in Bellingham called the Paper Zone that stocks a large selection of these:

1x1, 1x2, 2x3, 3x3, 3x5, 4x4, 4x6 -- all in packs of 100. the smaller ones are about $1.50/100, the larger sizes around $2.00

If you wanted some I could send them over to you, the postage shouldn't be much unless you wanted a lot of them.

There's a store in Bellingham called the Paper Zone that stocks a large selection of these:

1x1, 1x2, 2x3, 3x3, 3x5, 4x4, 4x6 -- all in packs of 100. the smaller ones are about $1.50/100, the larger sizes around $2.00

If you wanted some I could send them over to you, the postage shouldn't be much unless you wanted a lot of them.

I'll try the local Office Depot and Staples and if they don't have them I'll send you a buck for a few. Thanks for the replies.

Hey all,

hope you all had a happy and safe new year!! How man others were out cacheing for new years? I spent most of the day out there, didnt grab as many as I wanted but I was packing my 3yo with me so.... we had a great time anyway!

I like the idea of getting together for a hike, if it happens let me know I will try to go too!

I like the idea of getting together for a hike, if it happens let me know I will try to go too!

The area I think a good group hike/bike would be in the Liberty Beehive Rd. The Journey to the center of Washington is one I want to do and have not found the time to get it done yet. This will take some team effort as one would not want to do all of the back tracking up to the top. another is the caches to Marion Lake area one of the three there I haven't done either.

We will keep you informed if something happens.

To those who have been working on the puzzle, White Noise, I SOLVED IT!!!! B) Even though it's back in Pennsylvania and I may never go after the cache, it's been a challenging and fun puzzle to work on. I emailed the waypoint to other Cache-cadians a few weeks ago and several of us have worked on it from time to time. I'm not sure if I'll copy it for a local cache yet, although I do have the cache owner's permission to copy it. I'm just not sure how evil I want to be. :D Great job pghlooking on a fun but challenging puzzle cache.

To those who have been working on the puzzle, White Noise, I SOLVED IT!!!! B) Even though it's back in Pennsylvania and I may never go after the cache, it's been a challenging and fun puzzle to work on. I emailed the waypoint to other Cache-cadians a few weeks ago and several of us have worked on it from time to time. I'm not sure if I'll copy it for a local cache yet, although I do have the cache owner's permission to copy it. I'm just not sure how evil I want to be. :D Great job pghlooking on a fun but challenging puzzle cache.

Congrats and thank you for the complements at the same time. The best part of this cache is seeing and hearing of the utter enjoyment once they solve it. Either they are happy because they feel accomplishment or they are relieved to never have to look at it again. Either way it makes me smile. Glad you enjoyed it. I hope you do place on similar to it in your area and in fact I even have a slight tweak I wish I had made that would have made it a little harder and will fill you in on it!

"White Noise GCRFZB" without a doubt is one of the most difficult puzzle caches we will probalbly ever see. Much credit has to be given to "pghlooking" for creating such a challenge. Your brain should be preserved for scienctific research. :anicute:

I doubt that I would have ever figured it out, without the team effort of The Navigatorz, g-people, and others.

Thanks pghlooking for being a good sport and offering those much needed clues for us to work through it.

To those who have been working on the puzzle, White Noise, I SOLVED IT!!!! <_< Even though it's back in Pennsylvania and I may never go after the cache, it's been a challenging and fun puzzle to work on. I emailed the waypoint to other Cache-cadians a few weeks ago and several of us have worked on it from time to time. I'm not sure if I'll copy it for a local cache yet, although I do have the cache owner's permission to copy it. I'm just not sure how evil I want to be. :laughing: Great job pghlooking on a fun but challenging puzzle cache.

Congrats and thank you for the complements at the same time. The best part of this cache is seeing and hearing of the utter enjoyment once they solve it. Either they are happy because they feel accomplishment or they are relieved to never have to look at it again. Either way it makes me smile. Glad you enjoyed it. I hope you do place on similar to it in your area and in fact I even have a slight tweak I wish I had made that would have made it a little harder and will fill you in on it!

Harder? I suppose you could make it a 5!

It was fun~a little brain pain!

Did any Cache-Cadians make it to the Bruce Bjornstad presentation about the Ice Age Floods in Leavenworth last Saturday? We didn't know about it until we picked it up on Jon's thread Saturday morning. We immediatley decided to go even though it would mean an overninght. Luckily we called the number and learned the event was fully booked :laughing: as of the day before, even. They were surpised by the turnout. We hope to catch a future presentation.

K&A

Bruce is supposed give a talk and book signing at an Wenatchee Erratics meeting and when he does I will post it so that you can be here when he is here. The Wenatchee Erratics is the Wenatchee chapter of the Ice Age Flood Institute. I have been a member of the Erratcis for a long time and that is how I got started Geocaching was from a presentation of Bruces work at one of the meetings.

Hey cache-cadians....change of topic....there is a new cacher, hillstomper, who is logging finds on local caches even though he/she admits they didn't find the cache. Is there anyone else who is having trouble? I deleted the two logs on my caches but it looks like this cacher has done a few others in the area.

Hey cache-cadians....change of topic....there is a new cacher, hillstomper, who is logging finds on local caches even though he/she admits they didn't find the cache. Is there anyone else who is having trouble? I deleted the two logs on my caches but it looks like this cacher has done a few others in the area.

Sounds like s/he needs some educatin' (profile says 'student') - I sure hope they were kidding with this log entry from Jan. 20:

What a cool container. I liked it so much that I traded it with a container I had in the car. Hope you don't mind.

Yikes! :laughing:

Sounds like s/he needs some educatin' (profile says 'student') - I sure hope they were kidding with this log entry from Jan. 20:

What a cool container. I liked it so much that I traded it with a container I had in the car. Hope you don't mind.

Yikes! :laughing:

I emailed this cacher and got an apologetic response that s/he was just kidding around and didn't quite understand the rules around logging so hopefully that is the end of that!

:drama::drama:

I emailed this cacher and got an apologetic response that s/he was just kidding around and didn't quite understand the rules around logging so hopefully that is the end of that!

:drama::laughing:

I think you scared the guy off because he deleted all of his logs. Poor guy. He'll probably quit geocaching now! :drama:

Edited by The Navigatorz

Put one out today, just a grab and dash micro but there is one close to it that has quite a few DNF's so.... as not to dissapoint :drama: Not really and end destination cache more of a pit stop on the way.

One of these days I will have to go to Wenatchee and log a few of those y'all are hording over there :blink:

My Jet Travelbug is headed this way:::

--This message was sent through http://www.geocaching.com --

I just wanted you to know that your little jet is going to travel with

me and Motorcycle Mama.

I picked up you TB in Princeton and plan to have him fly with me to

FLorida, Philidelphia and Texas, I will set him free after I get back

to

Boise Idaho March 7th.

All I got to do now is convince Mr G2 that there is a new cache in Boise and maybe he will go get it for me...........

Blue J

All I got to do now is convince Mr G2 that there is a new cache in Boise and maybe he will go get it for me...........

Blue J

I didn't even ask him to get mine when it arrived near Othello, he just volunteered and retrieved it. But knowing what a nice guy he is, he probably would go to Boise and get yours if you asked him too. :) It was a nice race Blue J. Our travel bugs staretd in Austria and a year later made it home (well yours is almost home). Now about that $100 bet. I'll accept a personal check. (Just kidding). :laughing:

I need a winter break so I am going to go to Wendover Nevada/Utah on February 20th so will get to add Utah to my map. There are a few caches in the area and a lot of Waymarks that need to be marked. Historic Wendover Airport has a lot of history as does the town of Wendover. The airport is in Utah and 1/2 a mile away is Nevada with the casinos. I think I should have picked a place that was a little warmer tho. :laughing:

Blue J

I need a winter break so I am going to go to Wendover Nevada/Utah on February 20th so will get to add Utah to my map.

Blue J

That's cool. So how many geocached states will that be for you? I might be able to pick up four states next week. I'll be in Philadelphia, so a find in PA for sure. Then just 5 miles south of my hotel is the Pennsylvania - New Jersey border, 16 miles west of my hotel is the Pennsylvania - Delaware border, and another 25 miles further west is the Delaware - Maryland border. I won't be seeing you at the airport tomorrow, because when I made reservations, all Wenatchee flights were booked. So I have to drive over to Sea-tac and park my car for the week. I wish Horizon would bring more flights to Wenatchee. Seems like the flights they do have available get booked up fast.