Cache-cadians

The Navigatorz

The Navigatorz Posted: Mar 20 2005, 09:01 AM 

Did anyone geocache in the new snow this weekend? 

I came over from the WET side as my wife had a function to go to so I got to do a little caching. Did the Old Chinese Labor Camp :rolleyes: , Cold and wet but no snow. Then went on to do Above Moses Coulee, cold, wet and snowing, dropped back down and did Crescent Bar View, cold and wet. By this time the non-cachers I brought along with me had had enough cold & wet so we headed back to Wenatchee.

On the way over Blewett Friday afternoon I got to drive up into the snow and find Lookout Below & Day Trekin', depending on where you walked there was betwen 0 & 8 inches of snow, I mostly found the spots with 8".

BTW nice avitar Navigatorz

Edited by LandRover

Hi LandRover. I like your avatar. :rolleyes: That's pretty amazing about the amount of snow left on Red Top Mountain (Lookout Below cache). My brother works for the state hiway department and he says they will be opening Chinook Pass on April 1st. The earliest opening ever in the history of the pass. He said they won't even be doing avalanche control, which they usually do. On a normal year, Chinook Pass (elev. 5430 ft) opens on Memorial weekend (end of May).

Well, now, to get out there and put new logs in all the micros and make sure caches are back where they belong. B) (sounds like "Watched by the Owl" got moved. I hope I can find it.) I had originally thought I didn't want a cache machine to come throught our town an mess up our caches. B) But, I think I had almost as much fun as the cm'ers did. <_< It was great meeting the few I had the opportunity to. Travis, what a great organizer you are. Thankyou for doing this and thank you to all who came and participated. You are all welcome back.

Well, now, to get out there and put new logs in all the micros and make sure caches are back where they belong. :o (sounds like "Watched by the Owl" got moved. I hope I can find it.) I had originally thought I didn't want a cache machine to come throught our town an mess up our caches. :D But, I think I had almost as much fun as the cm'ers did. :D It was great meeting the few I had the opportunity to. Travis, what a great organizer you are. Thankyou for doing this and thank you to all who came and participated. You are all welcome back.

I know we will be back. You guys made us feel very welcome and we had a great time!

Well, now, to get out there and put new logs in all the micros and make sure caches are back where they belong. :D (sounds like "Watched by the Owl" got moved. 

Thank you all for making my first cache machine a rousing success. Now I can put a face to my "Toodles" dents on my car.....:D Was Navigatorz at either dinner? I was disappointed to miss him if he was. We did meet Subie21 at the movie theater on Sunday. How he recognized us as geocachers was short of amazing!......Don't ask why we were in the movie theater, but it had to do something with finding a coat hanger. You know how hard it is to find a metal coat hanger on a Sunday morning in sleepy downtown Wenatchee?......:D

Many of the logs will need to be replaced, especially the ones along the east side of the river. I was surprised at the number of micros you have in the Wenatchee area. You have all been very busy. What a wonderful hiking/biking trail you have on both sides. I wish I could have brought my mtn bike and done a good portion of the CM with that. Sure would have avoided the wandering we did on some of the road directions.

My first time caching with a group and I found it interesting how much our GPS's could vary in signals. We had 3 Garmin 60's and mine seemed to zero consistently 10-15 ft. to one side on almost every cache. I generally don't do many micros, so this has never been noticed. I would be curious if anyone has ever done a GPS test on accuracy among the various GPS makes and models?

Most of my experience on the CM was positive, but there were a few negative ones too. I wish everyone could have CITOed as we worked our way through. I know that's asking a lot and most don't want to hassle with the garbage, but I was disgusted with some of the mess I saw. Several caches I had to scratch my head and wonder what the cache hider was thinking by placing it here.

Few more observations......Stepped in 2 piles of dog poop......Errrrrrrrr! Found 8 coins, 36 cents, golf ball, roll of kite string, tennis balls, unbroken wine glass on the Valley View cache. How the heck did that get out in the middle of the sage brush? Several dead animals, dozens of quail and not a single snake. Clipboard and a GPSr in hand makes you look official. We were asked by several women if we had organized the large event near the Lunchtime cache. Official looking geocachers poking around a bridge causes concern. Geocachers poking around a mailbox and a cementery causes concern too.

Thanks for all the fun and I'm looking forward to coming back for the few DNF's we had. Now I won't start to twitch when ever I go through your area on my way to the Potholes.....:D

Well it looks like I missed a fun time. I regret not being able to be at either dinner to meet everyone, but we had prior family commitments in Yakima and here in Wenatchee. I really wanted to observe the searches at our Apple Capital Loop Trail and at River Bend caches. Sounds like they kept their reputations of being challenging hides. It's been a fun few days since the weekend, reading everyones logs on our caches. Its a satisfying feeling to know those who visited Panorama enjoyed the view as much as I did when I hid the cache.

Come back anytime. You've found most of our valley caches, but there's many more in the foothills which I believe are some of the best regarding scenery. With some of us committed to hiding one cache a month, we should be plenty stocked for the next Wenatchee cache machine. Thanks to Patudles, Ambrosia, Robinego, xy and family, ccmin, Barnabirdy, Geo Team Alpha, Stonecarver, and others who make geocaching in Wenatchee interesting and fun.

Nope, Navigatorz did a dnf at both dinners. Hmmm, could he not be feeling well. :D Maybe Arthur Rightis has come to visit him. :D Hmmmm, does it have anything to do with the month of May just around the corner. :D What's up Navigatorz, are you getting depressed already? :D

Maybe Arthur Rightis has come to visit him.  :D  Hmmmm, does it have anything to do with the month of May just around the corner.  :D  What's up  Navigatorz, are you getting depressed already?  :D

Not at all. I'm not afraid of turning 50. In fact, I just got back into racquetball, which I used to play all the time in the 80s. I joined the Y and am teaching my 18 year old son how to play. Hopefully soon we'll be doubles partners in the Y tournaments. So turning 50....bring it on.

Edited by The Navigatorz

Sorry you couldn't make it Nav. You were missed. Your Panorama was one of the more enjoyable caches for me. This cache was one of the few I grabbed and actually opened up to see what was inside. Ray and Rose geocoin was sitting there happily looking up at me and I grabbed it before Hydensek could latch on to it. This was their only geo coin they placed, so a very worthy find. Hydensek tried to tackle me and push me over the edge, but calmer minds prevailed!.... Darn, when I checked my numbers this cache was my 599th, so missed 600 by one and didn't want to go back and fudge numbers.

I didn't see any caches above King Granite and Under the Saddle. How come? It's looks like there's a trail all the way to the top and on several other high points that I bet would be fantastic cache spots. Music Sweet Music was another nice hiking trail and could use a cache up top on the rock knob.

There were several caches that didn't make the CM list that we were curious why they weren't added. Goose Egg and Wearing the Green were 2 easy ones that we spotted and made a quick grab on.

As much as I abhor self promotion, few people got to Robe of Rainbows. But I expected that as the hike and time commitment would probably have scared them off. Just above and about 2 miles NW is one of the truly worthy view caches... Uncle Ed's, I suggested it many times during the machine to those seeking a milestone. The road is daunting, but oh, the payoff!

However, there are several view caches that puts most to shame, namely those up Squilchuck, Wenatchee Heights, Jumpoff Ridge and Beehive Reservior road. These fantastic caches will undoubtedly be targeted during the campout.

I didn't see any caches above King Granite and Under the Saddle. How come? It's looks like there's a trail all the way to the top and on several other high points that I bet would be fantastic cache spots.

There used to be one up there. And there will be one again someday, hopefully someone will put one up there this year. I have never hiked to the top of Saddlerock. If nobody beats me, I'll try to hike it this year and put a cache at the top. We shall see. :D

And there will be one again someday, hopefully someone will put one up there this year.  I have never hiked to the top of Saddlerock.  If nobody beats me, I'll try to hike it this year and put a cache at the top.  We shall see.  :(

Was planning my May hide for up there... as soon as I get 2 days off. 1 to hide it, 1 to recooperate. :)

As much as I abhor self promotion, few people got to Robe of Rainbows. But I expected that as the hike and time commitment would probably have scared them off. Just above and about 2 miles NW is one of the truly worthy view caches... Uncle Ed's, I suggested it many times during the machine to those seeking a milestone. The road is daunting, but oh, the payoff!

However, there are several view caches that puts most to shame, namely those up Squilchuck, Wenatchee Heights, Jumpoff Ridge and Beehive Reservior road. These fantastic caches will undoubtedly be targeted during the campout.

Well at least one "Somebody" took the advice of the locals. Uncle Ed's will see me again!

I've seen these lock-n-lock containers for caches, and would like to purchase a few, but haven't located a store that sells them. Can someone let me know where I can find them? I checked a couple of dollar stores, and I believe Safeway. They look like a good container for keeping the contents dry.

They are sold at several stores in BC -- for some reason they seem to be readily available here but haven't caught on in the US market yet. You're right about their waterproof qualities. They are the best! You can also paint them by spray painting them with Rustoleum plastic primer and then camo spray paint (get both cheap at Walmart). They start at about 1/2 cup size in round and rectangle, and go all the way up to bigger than a 50 calibre ammo can size. Small ones are about $2.50 US and the bigger ones around $6.00 US

I'm going to come down for Pepper's event on the 14th. If you had some sizes in mind, you could let me know and I'll be happy to bring some down for you (or anyone else for that matter). If you won't be at the event, I can give them to Patudles for you.

H-C

Goodness, I posted a long and drawn out post here last night, but it never popped up. :o

It was mainly mentioning that I have been buying my lock n locks from target, but that you have to get a set of 3 if you want to get the smaller sizes. Also, wal-mart has just started carrying one size, and may carry more in the future. Half-Canadian has an even smaller size that I have not seen at target.

It was mainly mentioning that I have been buying my lock n locks from target, but that you have to get a set of 3 if you want to get the smaller sizes. Also, wal-mart has just started carrying one size, and may carry more in the future. Half-Canadian has an even smaller size that I have not seen at target.

Here's a link that shows most of the Lock & Lock sizes available:

Lock & Locks

I have a friend who would like to give geocaching a try. He and his wife have 3 small girls, ages 3-7. He's looking at this as something fun to do with his kids. I'm looking for recommended caches (in the Wenatchee area) that youngsters that age would like, i.e. easy to get to and stocked with toys and trinkets. Please post a list of a few caches that meet that description. No micros please and 1 star for both terrain and difficulty. I remember a few off-hand, but there may be some I have forgotten. Thanks

Edited by The Navigatorz

A Bookmark List of Kid friendly caches. What a great idea! Thanks xy. I don't trade items so usually don't even look to see what's in the caches, that's why I asked for help identifying caches that kids would like. I'm going to send this list to my friend. His family is anxious to get out and give geocaching a try.

I too have pretty much stopped trading items with the exception to the occasional TB so remembering caches is hard. I'm not sure Stumped is really appropriate for kids, Lord knows I had 2nd thoughts about my footing and thought I was going to go a** over teakettle into the river for a few moments, that is until I landed on the remains of Navz big foot prints! B)

XY who reached #300 this weekend. Was it on the Iron Horse Event, XY?

Thank you toodles! Yes, indeed it was. I figure the Iron Horse Ride itself was number 300 for me, since I started the ride before I found any of the caches. If you don't count any of the events as caches, I guess that would make The Project APE cache my 300th real find. And a new icon to boot! Woohoo!

What is a Project Ape cache anyway? (I know, I should have gone on the bike ride to find out).

The APE caches were a series of caches placed for the release of the remake of the planet of the apes. They contained props from the movie. There were only about a dozen of them origionally, and now there are only 3. One on the Iron Horse trail, one near Chicago and I think the third is near Washington DC. It is a hard icon to get if you aren't so lucky as to be living near one.